Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

NHL Off Season Thread 2008

Old 07-17-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Wrestling has a draft ?!?
The brand draft lottery or whatever the heck they call it. Superstars from each brand are eligible to be drafted by another brand. It changes up shows, possible feuds, etc.

NHL FA is kinda the same thing. It sucks in the sense of tradition, but I mean, it's like "Who can add that extra piece that puts them over the top?" and waiting to see what magic can be had when you hear of signings, particularly of the big names. Not that trade deadline deals aren't as, or more, important, but it's just really interesting to sit and debate (or salivate) over the prospects of how a team can change for the better.

(Hopefully it's for the better. It sucks when it's the opposite, just watching your guys leave through the revolving door.)
Old 07-19-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pens sign coach Michel Therien to a 3 year extension. If he makes it through next season he'll have been the longest tenured coached for the Pens - wow! It's laughable how quickly teams run through head coaches.

I like this alot for the Pens. While I don't always agree with what & how Mike does what he does, it sure has gotten this team to a pretty damn good level in a relatively short amount of time. Yeah, they've got young talent by the bucket loads, but that doesn't always translate into success. I think overall, he's done a hell of a job with this team and I'm glad he's been rewarded with an extension. And 3 years is perfect.
Old 08-07-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not much going on, but ESPN has a summer ranking out for the East and West. Pens and Wings top their respective lists.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=3504426

Only a month or so before training camp.
Old 08-07-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is anybody setting up a DVDTalk Fantasy Hockey league for this upcoming season?
Old 08-07-08, 07:34 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally Posted by SunMonkey
Not much going on, but ESPN has a summer ranking out for the East and West. Pens and Wings top their respective lists.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=3504426

Only a month or so before training camp.
Scott Burnside knows dick all about the NHL.
Old 09-01-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dek View Post
Scott Burnside knows dick all about the NHL.

Thankfully August is over and hockey should be starting up soon. Couple moves over the weekend.

Senators send Andrej Meszaros to the Tampa Bay Lightning. In exchange, the Senators received defencemen Filip Kuba and Alexandre Picard and a first round pick the Lightning previously acquired from the San Jose Sharks.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2479...s=topStory_nhl

Bryan McCabe will be traded to the Florida Panthers on Tuesday. The Maple Leafs will receive defenceman Mike Van Ryn in exchange for McCabe and a draft pick.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2482...s=topStory_nhl

I think the Lightning are making all the wrong moves this offseason. I bet they miss the playoffs.