Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

NHL Off Season Thread 2008

Old 07-01-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
If I were Sundin, I'll take the money and go to the Canucks. If they are willing to give you a two year $20 million contract, you be stupid to turn it away.
As much as I'd like to see a player of his caliber in the lineup, this is just shades of Messier waiting to happen.

I can't believe the Canucks are so inactive with $20 mil of cap space.
Old 07-01-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wade Redden signs with the Rangers.6 yrs and 6.5 mill average.
Old 07-01-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pens have made some good moves so far. Glad to see Dupuis and especially Eaton re-sign. Malkin's deal seems to be in place - the best news that can come from today.

I would be extremely happy if Jagr came back to Pittsburgh to finish his NHL career.

I really hope Orpik stays...
Old 07-01-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Orpik isn't worth the $4+ Million that other teams have reportedly offered. With Goligoski in WBS and Eaton signed, Orpik is expendable. He throws some big hits, but he isn't as physical in front of the net as he should be, and he really only played well last year when he was paired with Gonchar. Not worth it imo.
Old 07-01-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isles pickup Streit for 5/20.5. Not too sure how I feel about it, but they desperately needed someone up top on the PP.
Old 07-01-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Short contract, Snow must not have faith.
Old 07-01-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
Short contract, Snow must not have faith.
Jeff Finger would've gotten 10/35.
Old 07-01-08, 11:41 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Anyone from the Chicago area heard anything about Khabibulan being moved?

'Cause I don't know who take his contract and, as of now, with the massive overpaying of Huet (5.6 million per year), the Hawks have something like 12 million plus tied up in goaltending.
They need somebody to play the 30-40 games where the Bulin Fall is hurt.

I was hoping they'd sign Campbell, but that contract is insane.
Old 07-02-08, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
But he did a spin-a-rama on that one play last year!!11

It's a shame to see salaries like that, but with a hard cap tied to revenue, it will just mean teams will have to live with these bad contracts. I think there are a few teams like Atlanta and Los Angeles that are going to have a hard time meeting the minimum amount that must be spent.
Old 07-02-08, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MrX
They need somebody to play the 30-40 games where the Bulin Fall is hurt.

I would have played those game for less than half what they paid Huet.

Seriously, I'm glad to see the Hawks generating excitement, but I don't like the moves...especially if they keep both keepers.

They really overpaid for Campbell. I just didn't see enough from him to make me think he's worth that kind of money and for that long of a term.

Overpaying for almost all d-men is becoming the norm, overpaying a lot of forwards is the norm, but paying 12 million dollars for 2 goaltenders is just plain dumb imho.

edit: Rumors flying Bulin might be going to the Kings.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 07-02-08 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-02-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hossa to the Wings. 1 year, 7.4 million.

Selfishly, I like this for my team but I just don't get it. Hossa isn't at the end of his career like Sundin with no Stanely Cup. What if he blows out a knee? If he has an amazing season, even then it would be tough for the Wings to extend him more than this 1 season. I know he said he wanted to play in Detroit, but he sure left a lot of money on the table and took a big gamble to do it.
Old 07-02-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Awesome.*
Old 07-02-08, 01:11 PM

This is perfect deal financially for the Wings. They had the space this year and next year Z will be looking for a big payday. So, they needed to find someone willing to take a one year deal.
Old 07-02-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great for the Wings. THis is his audition. You can either give Hank and Mule the extension, or Hank and Hossa.

Last edited by superdeluxe; 07-02-08 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-02-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Detroit radio claims Holland offered Hossa a multi-year deal for similar dollars. I'm guessing multi from Detroit really means 2, but who knows, there were rumors last night be was being offered a long term deal for about 6.7 million from Detroit. Maybe they were true.

Hossa's people called back and THEY proposed taking the 1 year deal at 7.4 mil.

WHY?

Ok, sure you have 1 year to play with the odds on favorites to win the Cup, but no one is even CLOSE to being guaranteed a Stanley Cup. I'm sure he'll put up some huge numbers, but he was already the number 1 guy out there on the market.

I wonder if he simply didn't like the teams that had the money to afford him this off season on a long term, big money deal, and decided to play 1 year for the odds on favorites, rack up huge numbers, get a lot of pub, and maybe his agents think next season he'll have better choices or something or, if things go well in Detroit, Hossa could be resigned by the Wings and that would probably be the end of Franzen's chances of getting another contract from Detroit.

I still think it's a crazy move.
Old 07-02-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have no reason to be, but for some reason, as a Pens fan, I can't shake the early emotion of feeling pretty damn disrespected by Hossa. Word is their offer went up to 7/7. Seven years, seven million per. Does he really believe he doesn't have a chance to win (at the least) one Cup while playing with Sid & Geno over the next few years? I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying the Pens have a good chance to be multiple Cup winners over the next 6 years.

Detroit winning back-to-back while not impossible, isn't likely to happen for various reasons. I just don't get Hossa signing a 1 year deal. I was expecting to see him sign with another team for a boat load of cash and I honestly couldn't blame him if he would have. But this? This feels like a slap in the face. And I'm just a fan. I can't even imagine what the Pens must feel, because this seems personal. And I doubt it is. But, no matter what anyone says, deep down the Pens are gonna feel personally slighted.

Oh well, I'm actually a little happy about it anyway. Now that Hossa's out, I'd like to see the Pens make a serious run at Jagr. I like that storyline much, much better.

Ruutu just signed with Ottawa. This is good for the Pens chances of landing Jaromir. No way Jagr would've come back if Jaarko was still on the team.

edited to update: More good news - Orpik re-signs with the Pens for 6 years I know he's alot of Pens fans whipping boy, but I've really enjoyed watching his development over the last few years and feel that he's gonna be a very solid "defensive" defenceman. It will be interesting however, to see if his play continues to improve if he's not paired with Gonchar. People just don't give Sergei enough credit. I think Brooks will be fine with or without him, but I would like to see them two stay together. The Pens can pair Whitney with Eaton, Gill with Letang. However the grouping, I think the Pens are still in a pretty good spot defensively. They got Goligoski possibly coming up later and I believe Sydor is under contract for one more season. Not a bad "problem" to have.

Last edited by Amel; 07-02-08 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-02-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I was completely wrong about Hossa. What he did in signing with Detroit for a year at a heavy discount was anything but mercenary. I have to think that if Detroit didn't make the offer, he might well have signed with Pittsburgh.
Old 07-02-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
I guess I was completely wrong about Hossa. What he did in signing with Detroit for a year at a heavy discount was anything but mercenary. I have to think that if Detroit didn't make the offer, he might well have signed with Pittsburgh.
It's flattering when a great player turns down big money to play with a franchise that he simply thinks is great, but from what Holland has said about the negotiations, I'm always gonna have respect for Hossa even if he sucks it up.

According to Holland, he was on the line with both Hossa'a agent, Rich Winter, and with Hossa. They asked for a one year deal for more than 7.5 (probably 8 million), Holland told them he'd feel uncomfortable paying anyone more than Lidstrom because he was promised he'd be the highest paid player on the team (as he should be), and Holland offered to call Lids in Sweden and ask how he'd feel. Hossa said don't even bother calling him, let's do the deal at 7.45 so I'm not making more than him.

That shows a lot to me, maybe I'm reading into it too much, but he was already walking away from a lot of money, but he had the respect for Lidstrom to not even bother trying to get more than him. Again, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think a lot of other players would have done that or, at the very least, asked for some time to think about it. Holland said Hossa just agreed right there to accept the deal and told them to get it done.

I expect the Wings will find a way to keep him long term unless Hossa isn't happy or willing to take a deal similar to the Pens offer (7/7) and decides to walk after the season.
Old 07-02-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I definitely think he stays in Pgh if he wouldn't have gone to Detroit. I had a feeling he was heading there right after the cup finals when he told Pgh he wasn't interested in a long term deal. Like a few posts up, I think he's crazy to not take a 7/7 Pgh deal. I understand wanting to win a cup & all, but the next 7 look just as good in Pgh as anywhere else.
It'll definitely be interesting to have Jagr back if that's the case, because the fans here have really bashed him since he first left for Washington. The local news seems to think it's inevitable...we'll see.
Old 07-03-08, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would much rather they bring Naslund back to Pittsburgh than Jagr.
Old 07-03-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Marc-Andre Fleury signed a 7 year $35 million dollars contract with the Pens.
Old 07-03-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Maple Leafs made a trade with the Habs for centre Mikhail Grabovski for recent draft pick Greg Pateryn and a second-round selection in 2010.

I don't know much about this guy but so much about stockpiling young players and draft picks for the future.

Also rumour is that Sundin has rejected the Canucks offer (according to the Toronto Star) and the longer he waits, the more likely will be of him returning to the Leafs.
Old 07-03-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Pens signed Miroslav Satan to a one-year contract worth $3.5 million and Ruslan Fedotenko to a one-year deal worth $2.5 million.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns
Old 07-03-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Markus Naslund has signed a two year contract with the Rangers. Terms have not been disclosed yet.

It all means that Jagr won't be back with the Rangers.
Old 07-03-08, 04:47 PM

Add me to the Hossa-Haters here in the 'Burgh (area). lol

Oh well, the Pens have got the core locked up long-term. Sid, Geno, and now Fleury (plus Whit from last year). And playing with some great players, if Miro Satan can regain his 40-goal (Buffalo) form and if Fedetenko gets back to his Tampa Bay (Cup!) days, those two pickups could be good ones! I'm guessing Godard's signing is to replace Roberts' (and now Laraque's) grit.

(Wonder who else the Pens'll be eyeing/have a shot at, because I can't believe they'd have blown their wad 3 days into the FA period.)

The Blue Shirts sure have been active this year! Redden, Nasland, and Kalinin, plus a few keeps.

I love the FA period every year. It's kinda like the draft in WWE. Some smaller name, a few (more than wrestling) bigger name, stars moving around, shaking things up. lol

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.