Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

NHL Off Season Thread 2008

Old 06-22-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
Hossa is testing free agency. Guess he didn't really mean that whole "discount to play for a cup contender" thing he said. Rumors are Straka and Naslund may be heading back to the Pens.
It's a shame he couldn't have decided this earlier (or Shero realized his mercenary nature) so the Pens might have made a serious offer for Malone.
Old 06-22-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If anybody thought Hossa wouldn't test the FA market they were kidding themselves. It's not to say he still won't resign with Pitt but the guy is going to look for the best deal for himself, as he should.
Old 06-23-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good to see a buddy of mine get drafted to a Canadian team. Yann Sauve to the Canucks at 41st overall. I was hoping he would land in the 1st round, but either way, an he will be a good player in the NHL eventually.
Old 06-26-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am a bit surprised that Straka will leave the NHL to play in the Czech Republic next season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Or, maybe he hasn't:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241712

Last edited by SunMonkey; 06-26-08 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-28-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Pens traded Malone (and Roberts) to the Lightning for a fourth round pick (third round pick if Tampa Bay signs him). Sad to see him go, but at least the Pens got something for him.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2419...s=topStory_nhl
Old 06-28-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good deal for the Pens. No way either of them were re-signing so at least they got something.
Old 06-30-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

7yrs/31.5M for Malone
Old 06-30-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
7yrs/31.5M for Malone
And it is evidently front loaded, so he will be making $7 - $8 million a year during the first couple. It seems like a great deal for Malone, especially considering what his stats were (and probably won't be again without Malkin).

And the Pens get the third round pick now.
Old 06-30-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

7yrs/31.5M for Malone
Thats ridiculous but good for him.
Old 06-30-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I absolutely hate to see Malone go, but it appears to be the right choice for the Pens. It seems near impossible that they would've been able to pay him that type of money.

Gary Roberts tenure with the Pens was very exciting but that too looks like a good move.

Shero looks to be on the right track. He still is apparently optimistic about being able to sign Hossa. And it sounds like they're going to make a good run for Orpik.

No matter who the Pens lose, Shero & co. have given me pretty good confidence that they'll be able to find a good replacement without overcommitting.
Old 06-30-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
And it is evidently front loaded, so he will be making $7 - $8 million a year during the first couple. It seems like a great deal for Malone, especially considering what his stats were (and probably won't be again without Malkin).

And the Pens get the third round pick now.
And according to Bolts fans and rumors he isn't going to be playing with Lecavalier, but on the 2nd line with Stamkos centering. So I highly doubt his numbers will be anywhere near what they were with Malkin.

Now with the trading for the negotiating rights with Rolston it looks like they're just trying to skip rebuilding period. Reminds me of what Philly did last year on a lesser scale. TB still needs a better goalie and D imo.
Old 07-01-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Leafs just make me laugh my ass off.They signed d-man Jeff Finger to a 4 yr deal worth 3.5 mil a season.Who the hell is Jeff Finger?
Old 07-01-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like the Lightning are using up all that money freed up from letting Brad Richards go last season to sign the entire rest of the league.
Old 07-01-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone from the Chicago area heard anything about Khabibulan being moved?

'Cause I don't know who take his contract and, as of now, with the massive overpaying of Huet (5.6 million per year), the Hawks have something like 12 million plus tied up in goaltending.

So glad Stuart is coming back and, once again, the Wings actually managed to get him under market value.
Old 07-01-08, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Looks like the Lightning are using up all that money freed up from letting Brad Richards go last season to sign the entire rest of the league.

Malone will definitely be playing on the 2nd line since the Bolts signed Prospal to skate with Lecavalier & St. Louis. Sucks Jeff Halpern got hurt though. I know we're gonna score I'm just not convinced we'll be able to stop the other team from doing so. Our defense went south when we lost Jassen Cullimore & Khabibulin to the Blackhawks. Only to get worse losing defensemen Kubina, Sydor, Pratt, & Sarich not too long after.
Old 07-01-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Anyone from the Chicago area heard anything about Khabibulan being moved?

'Cause I don't know who take his contract and, as of now, with the massive overpaying of Huet (5.6 million per year), the Hawks have something like 12 million plus tied up in goaltending.
Huet will make more next year than Brodeur. $5.625. Khabi's cap # is $6.750. $12.375 in 2 goalies. Insane. That's almost 1/4 of their total current cap hit going to 2 "decent" goalies.

If the Hawks don't have a plan to get rid of Khabi, Tallon should be fired tomorrow.

Last edited by aktick; 07-01-08 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-01-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We are going to be looking at another lockout in a few years.

The money being thrown around is just retarded.
Old 07-01-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Campbell to the Hawks.

McKenzie says 8 years, $7.1 million per.

EDIT: Tallon just told Pang he's keeping Khabi. Hopefully he's just filling him full of shit.

They are about $4.5 million over the cap right now.

Last edited by aktick; 07-01-08 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-01-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by B.A.

Sadly it looks like it's going back in that direction.

3.5 mil per for Jeff Finger? That's just ridiculous.

It's great that the Lightning are making a big splash, but as I said before they should be concentrating on d-men instead of forwards. O'Brien and Ranger can only do so much. The rumors are Boyle is being shopped, I'd keep him around if I was planning on making a run this year. A Smith/Ramo combo doesn't exactly scream playoff bound either.

I don't know of too many teams that want to or could take on Khabiboulin's salary.
Old 07-01-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

damn, that's a lot of green for Campbell. I knew the Sharks weren't going to resign him when they couldn't win it all with him in the lineup. Just too expensive.
Old 07-01-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sadly it looks like it's going back in that direction.

3.5 mil per for Jeff Finger? That's just ridiculous.

It's great that the Lightning are making a big splash, but as I said before they should be concentrating on d-men instead of forwards. O'Brien and Ranger can only do so much. The rumors are Boyle is being shopped, I'd keep him around if I was planning on making a run this year. A Smith/Ramo combo doesn't exactly scream playoff bound either.

I don't know of too many teams that want to or could take on Khabiboulin's salary.
Tampa did add Kolzig today. So at least there's some experience.
Old 07-01-08, 05:08 PM

A Smith/Ramo combo doesn't exactly scream playoff bound either.
We did sign Kolzig today! Woohoo! Oh wait, this isn't 2000.
Old 07-01-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
We did sign Kolzig today! Woohoo! Oh wait, this isn't 2000.
Kolzig does add some experience and will probably play 20 or so games. You'll get to see what Ramo is made of if he has to start the year in the minors. After playing 20 something games last year it's gonna be a tough pill for the kid to swallow.
Old 07-01-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by astrochimp
The Leafs just make me laugh my ass off.They signed d-man Jeff Finger to a 4 yr deal worth 3.5 mil a season.Who the hell is Jeff Finger?
My sentiments exactly! Is this the way that Cliff Fletcher will be spending all of the money that the Leafs have.

Speaking of overpaying, add the Capitals to that list as the contract given to Theodore is ridiculous.

If I were Sundin, I'll take the money and go to the Canucks. If they are willing to give you a two year $20 million contract, you be stupid to turn it away.
Old 07-01-08, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B.A.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.