Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The Official Boxing Thread - 2008 and beyond!

Old 04-22-08, 10:51 AM

The Official Boxing Thread - 2008 and beyond!

Continued from here

Chris
Old 04-22-08, 10:56 AM
Admin-Thanos

Thank you payroll. You are a gentleman and a scholar.
Old 04-22-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
As expected the 'Mayweather' of the upper weight classes came not to fight, but to clench and hold. That is why Bernard Hopkins will never be considered a 'great' fighter

Chris
One of the most ludicrous things I have ever read on the internet. Bernard is and should be a sure fire Hall of Famer, and a lot of folks (myself included) consider him one of, if not the, greatest middleweights ever.
Old 04-22-08, 05:29 PM

So, I go from a gentleman and a scholar to a poster of 'ludicris' things, all in 2 posts!

Chris
Old 04-23-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I see that (Old) fights from Showtime are airing on ESPN Classic Thursday (And sometimes, Wednesday--Like tonight)

I didn't have Showtime back in the 90's, so I hope they show some fights that I never saw before (Since they got Chavez/Taylor II playing in the montage, there's some hope)

Some Ricardo Lopez fights would be nice.
Old 04-28-08, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

for those of you with universal hd, on wed, they're going to be doing a marathon of showtime championship boxing fights.
from 4:30-7:30 Tarver vs Santiago
7:30-9pm Paulie Mallgnaggi vs. Herman Mgoudjo
and
9-11 Israel Vazquez vs. Rafeal Marquez which i remeber being highly praised here.
Old 04-29-08, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
9-11 Israel Vazquez vs. Rafeal Marquez which i remeber being highly praised here.
Fight of the year so far. Don't miss it if you didn't catch it yet.
Old 05-01-08, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Fight of the year so far. Don't miss it if you didn't catch it yet.
Holy shit that was a hell of a fight. what i found interesting is that if the knockdown at the end of the fight wasn't counted as one, and the ref didn't take the 1 point away for the low blow, then Marquez would have won the fight according to the judges. the deciding factor being 113-112 for Vasquez, right?
Old 05-02-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shobox tonight:

(Super Middleweight) Anthony Hanshaw: 21-1-1 (14 KO) vs. Andre Dirrell: 14-0 (9 KO)

(Lightweight) Antonio De Marco: 16-1-1 (11 KO) vs. Juan Castaneda: 12-0 (9 KO)
Dirrell terminated any deal he might have had with HBO due to his last horrible performance. Looks like Showtime is giving him his last chance.
Old 05-02-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, Shobox tonight. I like it when they have these 11pm EST cards, fewer things (in general life) for me to shove aside for a card that starts after primetime hours.

And, of course, De La Hoya- Forbes on HBO tomorrow- the fight no one in boxing cares about, including DLH because he's already got that Mayweather 2 date set aside.

I get that DLH is a superstar, but honestly, I dont think the guy has impressed/inspired me since the Vargas fight. Even then he was starting to show signs of slipping, which has only gotten worse with selective activity, lack of focus, and weight class jumping. But, he once knocked out guys on the regular and is handsome, so... mehhhh, whatever.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 05-02-08 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-02-08, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dang. Who knew that Dirrell could become a Tyson? One thing's for sure though, he should ONLY fight in smaller rings now.

Toni DeMarco also put on a great show. I'd like to see how he does against the elite.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 05-03-08 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-03-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Highlight of the night:

Jim Lampley's towards Nicole Scherzinger.
Old 05-04-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

oops

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 05-04-08 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-04-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I respect DLH for keeping busy and recognizing he needed a tune-up before PBF 2, but, man, it was pretty evident Forbes was fighting just for the paycheck. He wasnt there to steal the victory from a superstar and use that as a springboard.

Manny Stewart was really gushing over DLH. He looked good, more like his old jab and power combo self, but I still think he'll need to up his cardio and defense quite a bit to beat Mayweather- and god I hope he does Wouldnt bet on it though.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 05-04-08 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-05-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If that Oscar shows up, as you said with a few tweaks here and there, he can definitely beat Floyd. It will be what, almost a year since Mayweather's last fight once they step in the ring?
Old 05-06-08, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Quake1028
If that Oscar shows up, as you said with a few tweaks here and there, he can definitely beat Floyd. It will be what, almost a year since Mayweather's last fight once they step in the ring?
well, he did do wrestlmania , so i guess you can say he stayed somewhat active.
Old 05-06-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Quake1028

Yeah, but the timing to not get hit so much (Forbes, a feather puncher, who barely landed actually busted up Oscar a bit) and cardio (always a heavier DLH prob) are really big tweaks.

Despite what I wrote earlier, I'm actually kinda' leaning towards wanting PBF to get the win. I'd rather see PBF-Cotto than DLH-Cotto, which seems to be what what both parties are gearing towards. I'd give a younger, motivated DLH a great chance agaisnt Cotto, but he just isn't that fighter anymore. PBF versus Cotto is far more intriguing.
Old 05-08-08, 06:48 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...=afp&type=lgns

Judah arm injury prompts cancellation of Mosley bout
1 hour, 17 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Former world champion Zab Judah injured his arm in a fall and his May 31 bout against Shane Mosley has been cancelled, Golden Boy Promotions announced Thursday.

The pay-per-view fight between the ex-champs had been set for Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, with both hoping a victory could set up another world title chance against unbeaten welterweight champions Floyd Mayweather and Miguel Cotto.

Judah suffered multiple severe lacerations on his right forearm and received 50 stitches in the accident, and was expected to be unable to train for four weeks.

"It is very unfortunate that Zab suffered this injury and that this great event had to be cancelled," said Richard Schaefer, chief executive of Golden Boy Promotions. "We are already in discussions with all parties involved to attempt to reschedule the fight for the near future."
I wasn't interested in this fight, so no big loss.

Chris
Old 05-10-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another shobox tonight:

Junior Witter (36-1-21) vs Timothy Bradley (21-0-11) (WBC super lightweight championship)
Carl Froch (22-0-18) vs Albert Rybacki (15-0-8) (super middleweight)

On paper, this could be a helluva night. But I'm only familiar with Junior Witter. Last fight I saw him in (Which felt like 10 years ago) was his loss to Zab Judah. He had one of the most awkward styles I've ever seen. But it's apparently been paying off since he's won every fight since then.
Old 05-10-08, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright, checked out ^that show. Not too surprisingly that a new champ was crowned since Witter became 8 years older (Not 10, as I thought) but as far as this overhyped Carl Froch goes, not impressed. Granted it's the first time I've ever seen him and he took on a late substitute, but did you see how low he keeps his hands? This dude's gonna get thrashed big time when he get's his top 5 shot.
Old 05-13-08, 05:54 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

APNewsBreak: Cotto heading West for big Vegas bout

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer
1 hour, 12 minutes ago

Miguel Cotto’s welterweight unification title fight with Antonio Margarito will be held in Las Vegas on July 26, The Associated Press learned Tuesday.

Cotto, the undefeated WBA champion from Puerto Rico, will headline a Las Vegas card for the first time when he meets IBF champion Margarito at the MGM Grand Garden, according to a person familiar with the decision who spoke on condition of anonymity because the completed deal won’t be announced until next week.

Cotto (32-0, 26 KOs) hasn’t fought in Las Vegas since Dec. 11, 2004, on the undercard of Vitali Klitschko’s bout with Danny Williams. His last 10 fights were held in Atlantic City, Puerto Rico or New York, where he usually performs before loud, enthusiastic crowds—but the rising welterweight star’s debut as a West Coast pay-per-view attraction is shaping up as the most tantalizing fight of the summer.

Promoter Bob Arum recently said he was interested in holding the fight in Las Vegas to promote Cotto to a new audience while also playing to Margarito’s Mexican-American fans in California. Arum believes a Las Vegas bout will perform better on pay-per-view as well.

The Las Vegas notion gained momentum last month when the Nevada Athletic Commission amended its provisional rules on glove size, allowing welterweights to wear 8-ounce gloves instead of the previously mandated 10-ounce gloves. Nearly every other boxing jurisdiction allows welterweights to fight in 8-ounce gloves, and both Cotto and Margarito both likely would have refused to fight in Las Vegas without their usual gloves.

Margarito (36-5, 26 KOs) earned his shot at Cotto by taking Kermit Cintron’s IBF title with a sixth-round knockout on April 12, moments before Cotto stopped Alfonso Gomez on the same card in Atlantic City. Margarito, who lost his WBO welterweight title to Paul Williams last summer, dominated Cintron for the second time in their careers to claim another belt.

Cotto’s powerful punching and tenacity have made him the biggest threat to pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr., the WBC welterweight champion who’s more interested in reality television and big paydays than the primitive perils of a matchup with Cotto. Though Arum repeatedly has called out Mayweather on behalf of his client, Cotto hasn’t joined the chorus, remaining content to fight whomever Arum puts in front of him.

With Mayweather still apparently headed toward a rematch of his tedious split-decision win over Oscar De La Hoya in the richest fight in boxing history, Cotto’s meeting with Margarito likely is the most enticing fight coming up in the loaded welterweight division.

De La Hoya, who beat Steve Forbes on May 3, has said he would be interested in closing out his career with a fight against Cotto in December.
That's the difference between a great fighter like De la Hoya and Mayweather.

De la Hoya is not afraid to fight the best with the possibility of losing the fight. He makes the big fights happen because that is what the public wants and he is compensated handsomely for doing that.

Chris

Last edited by mrpayroll; 05-13-08 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-14-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
Yeah, but the timing to not get hit so much (Forbes, a feather puncher, who barely landed actually busted up Oscar a bit) and cardio (always a heavier DLH prob) are really big tweaks.

Despite what I wrote earlier, I'm actually kinda' leaning towards wanting PBF to get the win. I'd rather see PBF-Cotto than DLH-Cotto, which seems to be what what both parties are gearing towards. I'd give a younger, motivated DLH a great chance agaisnt Cotto, but he just isn't that fighter anymore. PBF versus Cotto is far more intriguing.
I would agree if I thought there was any chance in hell that Floyd would ever fight Cotto
Old 05-14-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Alright, checked out ^that show. Not too surprisingly that a new champ was crowned since Witter became 8 years older (Not 10, as I thought) but as far as this overhyped Carl Froch goes, not impressed. Granted it's the first time I've ever seen him and he took on a late substitute, but did you see how low he keeps his hands? This dude's gonna get thrashed big time when he get's his top 5 shot.
Outside of the Harris fight, Witter has been a terribly boring fighter for his entire career. It's disgusting that the scores were as close as they were.

As for Froch, I'll give him some benefit of the doubt due to Inkin pulling out twice, but I tend to agree with you. Miranda, Kessler, Calzaghe and Bute would eat him alive.

Very sad to hear about Judah. I was looking forward to that one .
Old 05-16-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Chris Byrd on crack tonight! I'm actually sorta' interested. He was never a bad boxer, just, at times, an uninteresting one stylewise. Who knows, maybe he'll manage to get KO's again at a lighter weight in the twilight of his career?

And, the triple header on HBO tommorrow is a pretty solid prospects card.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 05-16-08 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-17-08, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
Chris Byrd on crack tonight!
And sure looked like a recovering addict in there. Sad stuff. That 2nd knockdown was brutal. His shoulderblade almost came out!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.