Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The Official Boxing Thread - 2008 and beyond!

Old 05-17-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Man, oh man.

That was probably the saddest ESPN headline boxing match I've seen since... Oh, I dont know,... they aired one with a fat, out of shape, uninspired, and old Roberto Duran back in the mid 90's.

I know fight fans can be quick to say "Retire the bum!" but for the sake of his health, I really hope Byrd retires. I think he's one of the guys who handled his money pretty well, isn't he? Time for him to settle back and not risk further damage.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 05-17-08 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-17-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fightnews:

In a scary moment, an unconscious former heavyweight champion Chris Byrd was rushed to a Las Vegas hospital Friday night shortly after his shocking and unexpected KO loss to Shaun George. Byrd reportedly became unresponsive when a combination of valium and morphine were administered in his dressing room to relieve pain from a dislocated shoulder. Happily he was later revived and released from Valley Hospital. It appears, however, that the loss to George may have been the 37-year-old Byrd's last fight. "I'm not letting him fight anymore," Byrd's wife Tracey told fight scribe Tim Smith. And should Byrd have any notion of boxing again, Tracey warned, "He would have to try to do it without my support, and I don't think he wants to do that!"
Old 05-17-08, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sum up:

Didn't see enough of Kirkland (Just as the same way that Andre Berto opened the last B.A.D. triple-header) so it's obvious that I'd like to see more of what he can do.

Once "El Perro" experienced recieving a big shot, he created a bigger fire afterwards. Yeah, I would've liked to see Tony Weeks give Guiterrez another shot since the round was almost over, but the truth was that one fighter was able to recover more quickly from another big bomb which was delivered by the other.

Gamboa....Somebody said he was a Mike Tyson of featherweights??? Whatever.
He's got great energy and good resilience, but I don't see him slapping to death any of the top guys in the division. That's what I got from this fight. If you can stand up to his speed in the early going, you can counter and overpower him late. A flashy and fun guy to watch, but I'm not 100% sold on him on being the "2nd coming"..Which was what so many labled him as.
Old 05-18-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Okay, this is the dumbest comment I could probably ever come with after a fight, but I was so distracted-slash-horrified by the way his corner would smother his face with a sponge, make him stick out his tongue, and then slather his tongue with that dirty sponge. What the hell was that about? I'm assuming they weren't trading out the sponge after each round either.
Old 05-18-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He's got great energy and good resilience, but I don't see him slapping to death any of the top guys in the division. That's what I got from this fight. If you can stand up to his speed in the early going, you can counter and overpower him late. A flashy and fun guy to watch, but I'm not 100% sold on him on being the "2nd coming"..Which was what so many labled him as.
He reminds me of a mini-young Roy Jones Jr. Definitely not Mike Tyson as he's not a pure knock-out puncher.
Old 05-18-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sum up:

Didn't see enough of Kirkland (Just as the same way that Andre Berto opened the last B.A.D. triple-header) so it's obvious that I'd like to see more of what he can do.

Once "El Perro" experienced recieving a big shot, he created a bigger fire afterwards. Yeah, I would've liked to see Tony Weeks give Guiterrez another shot since the round was almost over, but the truth was that one fighter was able to recover more quickly from another big bomb which was delivered by the other.

Kirkland - still as sloppy as ever, would likely get creamed by an accurate puncher with a chin. Luckily for him, outside of DLH, whom he has no chance of fighting, 154 is about as soft a touch as you can get. Forrest, judging by the Mayorga fights, would be tailor made for Kirkland.

Angulo - Impressed me the most of the three, even though he went through some rough spots. I thought going in that Richar Gutierrez was the best of the 3 opponents, and even though Jimenez fought bravely, I saw nothing to really change my mind. Angulo was hurt, pretty badly, but came back in the same round to starch his man. Have to love that.

Gamboa - Woah boy. I hadn't seen this guy before, but judging by the praise Dan Rafael was giving him, I expected.....more. That's pretty unfair to Gamboa because he was a lot of what was advertised, speedy, lighting fast hands, great footwork and movement, and some good pop. Maybe it was the huge TV debut. Maybe it was the best opponent of his career. Maybe it was all of those things. Don't get me wrong, outside of one punch, he was brilliant, and basically shut out a top tier fighter, but I couldn't help but thinking while I was watching that Pacquiao, JM Marquez, Valero, Campbell, Juan Diaz and others in the surrounding weight classes would have their way with this kid. Even going down to 126 I would favor at this point John, Guerrero, Luevano and Linares pretty heavily over him. But, we have to remember that even after 400+ amateur bouts, this was only his 10th pro fight, and he was taking a huge step up in competition, and as I said, outside of one punch, he passed with flying colors.
Old 05-18-08, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In other news from this weekend:

GOMEZ PALACIO, Mexico -- Mexico's Cristian Mijares outpointed Venezuela's Alexander Munoz in a split decision Saturday night to add the WBA super flyweight title to his WBC crown.

Mijares (35-3-2) received winning scores of 115-111 and 115-112 from two judges, while Munoz (32-3-0) had a 115-113 edge on the other judge's card.

"I do not have word to describe how I feel. It was a great fight. He was a worthy opponent, but we have the title and I'm very proud," Mijares said. "He made me work strong. He had me a couple of times, but I settled down to get the job done."
Bring on Montiel vs. Mijares!
Old 05-24-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Reminder:

Hatton/Lazcano on the Versus channel this afternoon.
Old 05-26-08, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What an awful pair of fights. Paulie just needs to go ahead and hang them up if his right hand is that brittle, because I'm tired of hearing about it after every fight. I like the guy, and he's got talent, but his body is obviously not built to hold up to boxing. And that hair, fucking Christ that was a TERRIBLE decision. Would have served him right to get knocked stiff because of it.

Hatton is a shell of the fighter who beat Tszyu. That fight must have taken a lot out of him, because honestly since coming to America after that fight he has looked awful, outside of blowing out an uninterested and WAY past his prime JL Castillo. Hatton vs. Malignaggi is just about the last fight I want to see right now, with all the grabbing and complaining that would be going on. Hatton lets out one or two big punches, and then holds on. I have no clue why he does it. He smothers any power shots he might be able to land. And he gets hit way too much, as was painfully obvious in this fight. If Lazcana had any more power or hand speed, Ricky would have woken up staring at the lights like he did against Floyd. Good luck getting HBO to buy Hatton vs. Malignaggi now, Golden Boy.
Old 05-27-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, they both looked really bad.

I've never like Malinaggi, especially how unrealistic his ego has always been. The hand complaints, the fact that he almost never listens to his corner's advice (like moving in the wrong direction all night, maybe he doesn't know his right from left?), how he often looks confused,... ugh.

Hatton has gone from looking like a world beater to just plain lucky now that he's seeped himself in the top ten. The way he gets hit and marked up, his resilience is more admirable than his style, and that resilience seems to be waning.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 05-27-08 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-05-08, 01:27 PM

http://www.tmz.com/2008/06/05/holyfield-goes-belly-up/

Holyfield Goes Belly Up

Posted Jun 5th 2008 12:30PM by TMZ Staff

Evander Holyfield made over $200 mil in the ring ... and probably another 10 grand or so on "Dancing with the Stars." So shocker -- seems he's broke.

Evander's home has gone into foreclosure and it's going on the auction block. On the home front, he's being sued for allegedly defaulting on a $550,000 landscaping bill. And, baby mama Toi Jenese Irvin is taking him to court for $6 grand in back child support.

Evander's rep was mum.
This is pathetic. Another person who has made so much money in their lives and they waste most of it and now will probably want bankruptcy protection.

Chris
Old 06-05-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Damn it. Had I planned this out better I would've been here tomorrow night:

Old 06-06-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Busy night this Saturday:

Kelly Pavlik vs. Gary Lockett
(HBO)
Daniel Ponce De Leon vs. Juan Manuel Lopez
-----
Vernon Forrest vs. Sergio Mora
(Showtime)
Carlos Quintana vs. Paul Williams II

De Leon/Lopez will probably steal the night. Two of the hardest-hitting left handers in the sport going at it.
Old 06-06-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Busy night, but great. The Showtime card is a bit more competative (though I'm no fan of Mora or Forrest, its an even matchup). I mean, if Pavlik doesn't blow that guy out inside four or five rounds I think everyone will be surprised. The betting lines are crazy, Lockett is like a -2000 underdog.
Old 06-06-08, 05:41 PM

Good riddance!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080606/...ther_retires_2

Welterweight champ Floyd Mayweather Jr. retires

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer
40 minutes ago

Unbeaten welterweight Floyd Mayweather Jr. announced his retirement again Friday, with boxing's unofficial pound-for-pound king saying he no longer has the passion necessary to fight.

Mayweather, the WBC welterweight champion, made the abrupt announcement in a letter to select media members Friday. The 31-year-old former U.S. Olympian (39-0, 25 KOs) hasn't fought since beating Ricky Hatton last December, but was widely expected to fight Oscar De La Hoya in September in a rematch of the richest fight in boxing history.

"This decision was not an easy one for me to make, as boxing is all I have done since I was a child," said Mayweather, the son and nephew of three of the sport's top trainers. "However, these past few years have been extremely difficult for me to find the desire and joy to continue in the sport."

Mayweather also said he was done fighting after each of his last two bouts, but his letter somberly described the reasons for the Pretty Boy's decision to "permanently retire from boxing."

"I loved competing and winning and also wanted to continue my career for the fans, knowing they were there for me and enjoyed watching me fight," Mayweather said. "However, after many sleepless nights and intense soul-searching, I realized I could no longer base my decision on anything but my own personal happiness, which I no longer could find."

Though he reportedly earned more than $50 million combined for his split-decision win over De La Hoya and a knockout of Hatton, Mayweather has seemed much more interested in being a celebrity than a fighter over the past 18 months.

He has appeared on "Dancing With the Stars," worked on his record label and entered the wrestling ring for a choreographed bout with the 440-pound "Big Show" at WrestleMania in Orlando earlier this year. He also gained a broader measure of fans through two short-run reality shows on HBO leading up to his last two fights, detailing the wacky family dynamics of the Mayweather clan.

Mayweather's father, Floyd Sr., is estranged from his son. He is De La Hoya's longtime trainer, and though he sat out De La Hoya's first fight with Floyd Jr., he planned to train De La Hoya for the rematch. Floyd Jr. is trained by his uncle, Roger, and another uncle, Jeff, also is emerging as a respected trainer.

Though fans and promoters have clamored for Mayweather to take on unbeaten welterweight Miguel Cotto, Mayweather had repeatedly dismissed the idea, saying he planned to fight De La Hoya, whose own plans for a three-bout arc to end his career will be altered by Mayweather's decision.

De La Hoya, who beat Steve Forbes in a tuneup last month, had hoped to fight Mayweather and Cotto this year before turning full-time to his career in charge of Golden Boy Promotions.

Given Mayweather's love of money and attention, he knows many fans won't believe he's truly gone but Mayweather insists he's finished.

"I am sorry I have to leave the sport at this time, knowing I still have my God-given abilities to succeed and future multi-million dollar paydays ahead, including the one right around the corner," Mayweather said. "But there comes a time when money doesn't matter. I just can't do it anymore. I have found a peace with my decision that I have not felt in a long time."
And if you really believe he's going to stay retired!

Chris
Old 06-06-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, right. And I'm fucking Santa Clause.
Old 06-06-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

IF he is serious (seeing as Oscar II has already been cancelled), then I would LOVED to see Oscar fight Cotto, assuming Miguel beats Margarito. I think that HAS to be the fight. Who else makes boxing or financial sense for Oscar around 147/154?
Old 06-06-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Busy night this Saturday:

Kelly Pavlik vs. Gary Lockett
(HBO)
Daniel Ponce De Leon vs. Juan Manuel Lopez
-----
Vernon Forrest vs. Sergio Mora
(Showtime)
Carlos Quintana vs. Paul Williams II

De Leon/Lopez will probably steal the night. Two of the hardest-hitting left handers in the sport going at it.
Lopez can punch, but I wouldn't call him one of the hardest hitting lefties in the sport. He's a super slick boxer though.
Old 06-07-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Paul Williams is a fucking badass, and proves the first Quintana fight was an anomaly. He should get the first crack at the Cotto-Margarito winner.

JM Lopez. Damn, what a show. He was easily the better boxer, and has some great pop, and blitzed Ponce de Leon.

Forrest looked awful. Just awful. Goodbye, career.
Old 06-07-08, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kelly Pavlik is a bad motherfucker. Forget the Roy Jones crap, let's just have Pavlik vs. Calzaghe at 168 in the Fall and call it a day.
Old 06-07-08, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1 Puerto Rican Fighter was the victim of a 1st round KO
1 Puerto Rican Fighter was victorious of a 1st round KO
1 "Contender" became a "Champion"
And 1 American-Fighter was fully established.

What a wild night.

Those 1st round Knockouts were certainly a surprise to me (An example of why this sport is the "Theater of the Unexpected") and Paul Williams might be the first reciptiant of "Upset of the Year" as well as being the first reciptiant of "Comeback of the Year"! That was unbelievable. And congrats to Pavlik for being the first fighter (Since Hagler) to carry the mantle of distinguished , undisputed middleweight champ. You could tell the entire world was at his heels once he gave that post-fight interview.
Old 06-08-08, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Bernard wasn't ever undisputed middleweight champ?
Old 06-08-08, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Techincally, no. But as far as carrying the mantle goes, yes. Seriously, Pavlik felt like extreme royalty tonight.
Old 06-08-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, ok. I wasn't sure if Bernard ever got all of the belts together or not. If Pavlik is though, and he won his belts from Jermain, who won them from Bernard, wouldn't Hopkins had to have been? Or did one of them pick up a smaller belt somewhere along the way. Anyway, like you said, I think pretty much everyone regarded him as THE middleweight champ during his run.
Old 06-08-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thought it was a matter of time before someone gave DeLeon a taste of his own quick KO medicine. The guy is a brute but his technique/fundamentals are total garbage, so pit him agaisnt someone with pop-and-skill like Juan Manuel Lopez and it is goodnight.

The world is back to nuthugging Paul Williams again because of the blowout which was great, but I think the Margarito and first Quintana fight showed he has some liabilities down the stretch. When he doesn't put someone away or really hurt them early, he can lose focus and look very raw. You dont wanna' do that with the likes of Cotto or Mayweather. That said, I still love the potential fights they can make with him.

As for Pavlik, errr, he did what he was supposed to do. I liked Kellerman's "In this division, you are Godzilla," quip. Lets hope Abraham, Calzaghe, or both, are in his future sometime in the next six months.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.