Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The Official Boxing Thread - 2008 and beyond!

Old 12-14-08, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
thats the way hbo is doing it too
oh and did anyone see this live?
Wait a minute? When was that and why didn't we get to see that in the U.S.?

Chris

edited to add: okay, this is when it happened. http://www.boxrec.com/show_display.php?show_id=556462

And I don't know if you guys have mentioned that site before, but it is an incredible database of fights.

Last edited by mrpayroll; 12-14-08 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-14-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrpayroll View Post
And I don't know if you guys have mentioned that site before, but it is an incredible database of fights.
What I love about that site is that you can click on a date and see all the fights & results of that desired date. Earlier this year, I clicked on some of the nearby/local boxing cards that I went to (About 10 years ago) and was surprised to find out that I actually saw a Glen Johnson fight. I can't even remember him!
Old 12-15-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only thing bad about BoxRec is their ridiculous P4P rankings. Other than that, it's the IMDB for boxing lovers and I waste a lot of time there.
Old 12-16-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

All I know is, after watching this past weeks HW boxing, Larry Holmes is probably sitting back with the happy knowledge that he can no longer be considered champ of the weakest, modern, HW boxing division.
Old 12-17-08, 05:58 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

Mayweather Jr. expresses interest in Hatton rematch

7 hours, 38 minutes ago

By Phil Barnett PA SportsTicker Contributing Writer

Floyd Mayweather Jr. has approached Ricky Hatton’s team about a possible rematch in 2009, according to the Englishman’s camp.

Hatton (45-1, 32 KOs) suffered his only professional defeat at the hands of Mayweather, getting outboxed the entire match before being knocked out in the 10th round last December.

A two-weight world champion, the 30-year-old Hatton has spoke of his desire for a rematch with Mayweather, who cited a lack of “joy” for the sport when he retired in June.

There has been recent speculation that the 31-year-old Mayweather has been preparing for a return to the ring.

Despite Mayweather expressing in an interest in again taking on Hatton, the Englishman’s priority remains a showdown with Manny Pacquiao, who has since inherited Mayweather’s status as the world’s best pound-for-pound fighter.

Hatton traveled to Las Vegas earlier this month to watch Pacquiao’s dominating eighth-round technical knockout of Oscar De La Hoya.

Hatton’s lawyer, Gareth Williams, revealed “The Hitman” is still hoping to face Pacquiao even though negotiations have not not started, something promoted Bob Arum has disputed. Williams also said Mayweather remains an option.

“Every light-welterweight in the world wants to fight Hatton,” Williams told PA Sport.

“We’ve had approaches from everybody. We’ve also had approaches from people at 130 pounds, Juan (Manuel) Marquez and Juan Diaz both want to fight him. He is a massive draw and can fight where he wants. We’ve also had approaches from Mayweather to have a rematch with him. He wants to fight Ricky.”

Williams maintained Pacquiao is the fight the Hatton camp wants.

“But the fight we want to make, our preference, is Manny Pacquiao because we think that is a great fight,” Williams said. “Ricky has made no secret of the fact he wants to take on the best and Pacquiao is regarded as the best.

“We’re more than happy to make that fight but it has got to be on acceptable terms.”

Pacquiao comprehensively dismantled the legendary De La Hoya to seemingly pave the way for a meeting with Hatton. However, it was then claimed Mayweather was considering a comeback and may have jumped ahead of the Briton in the queue to fight the Filipino champion.

Arum, the Filipino fighter’s promoter, had claimed that negotiations were under way with Hatton’s team.

“He’s not talked to us at all. We’re happy to fight Pacquiao but it has to be on our terms,” Williams said. “We won’t be bullied or forced into any decision that is not on our terms.

“We’ve had no contact whatsoever with him. That is the fight we want to make but we’ve got other options, we will do what is best for us.”

Hatton’s father Ray confirmed they had been “sounded out” by a third party on behalf of Mayweather.

“It hasn’t come from us because we just took it as what it was, a third party sounding us out,” he told Sky Sports News.

“Really at the moment we’re looking at Manny Pacquiao. It’s very nice for Ricky to still be in such a big league. We’ve had approaches from different things, two or three other fighters as well. It’s a nice position that people are asking us. Manny Pacquiao is now regarded as pound-for-pound the best fighter in the world and that’s a fight Ricky would like. I know fans would like to see it.”

Hatton’s preference for a fight with Pacquiao is likely to be due, in part, to his reluctance to fight again at the 147-pound welterweight limit where he has struggled, rather than his natural light-welterweight limit of 140 pounds.

Updated 7 hours, 38 minutes ago
Note to Mayweather: No one wants to see you fight anymore. No one wants to pay $60 to watch you run away from your opponent so you can protect your 'pretty' face.

Chris
Old 12-18-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some re-capping of '08, great year for boxing:

Fight of the year: Vasquez/Marquez III (Runner-Up: Casamayor/Katsidis)

Favorite mega-hyped fight of the year: Cotto/Margarito

I wasn't used to seeing so many undefeated superstars/prospects taste their first defeat in a single year:

Miguel Cotto
Paul Williams
Kelly Pavlik
Juan Diaz
Amir Khan
Michael Katsidis
Sergio Mora
Andy Lee
Rey Bautista
Giovanni Segura
Pawel Wolak
Steve Molitor

Fighters I can't wait to see more of: James Kirkland, Alfred Angulo, Juan Manuel Lopez, Jorge Linares, Sergio Martinez, Edwin Valero (We keep on hearing that he'll fight in America one of these days, '09 better be the time)

Dream matches for '09:
Bernard Hopkins/Chad Dawson
Juan Manuel Marquez/Nate Campbell
Andre Berto/Joshua Clottey
Israel Vazquez/Juan Manuel Lopez
Vic Darchinyan/Fernando Montiel
Vernon Forrest/Paul Williams

First prediction of '09: Yuriorkis Gamboa will get KO'd in his first big step-up....But John Duddy and Julio Ceasar Chavez Jr will still be undefeated.
Old 12-30-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Juan Diaz VS Juan Manuel Marquez in February????

Man, it looks like Juan Diaz is NEVER going to have a "gimme" fight from now on!!!
Old 01-02-09, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here are my 2008 Awards.

Fighter of the Year: Manny Pacquiao
Fight of the Year: Pacquiao vs. Marquez II
Round of the Year: Holt vs. Torres II, Round 1
Knockout of the Year: Miranda vs. Banks
Prospect of the Year: Daniel Jacobs

Fighter of the Year was a blowout. Nobody else really even deserves mention. I went with JMM vs. Pac II for Fight of the Year over Marquez vs. Vazquez III mainly because the fight I picked was waged between two top 4 pound for pound fighters, and it was a war. I think the level of fighting was a little higher in Pac's split decision win than in Vazquez' win. Just my opinion though.
Old 01-06-09, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Official Boxing Thread - 2008 and beyond!

Just read on espn that Valero is in the process of signing with Top Rank. Might as well scratch that one off my wishlist!

Also read that Nonito Donaire is moving up and challenging Fernando Montiel. Man, forget what I said about Darchinyan/Montiel. This would be an awesome fight.
Old 01-09-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The return of FNF tonight!
Old 01-09-09, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

maybe in HD for once?
Old 01-11-09, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

OK night of fights. Solis and Gamboa are both hugely overrated though. Gamboa is going to get knocked out viciously by the first real puncher he faces.
Old 01-11-09, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, after watching for about the 5th time tonight, I figured I would link to this fight for those of you who haven't seen it yet. 2006 Fight of the Year, Mahyar Monshipour vs Somsak Sithchatchawal.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 01-11-09, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Gamboa is going to get knocked out viciously by the first real puncher he faces.
Hence, my new year prediction! Though I bet his managers/team are (Now) gonna play it safe for '09 and match him easy.

Actually, there's debate if Gamboa has a Trinidad-chin or a bad chin. A Trinidad-chin is when you're flash-knockdown prone and can recover from it. And a bad chin is pretty explanatory.
But I'm with you, Quake. A hard puncher is gonna check that chin and we're bound to see the badness exposed.
Old 01-11-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll give him that he hasn't looked hurt from any of his knockdowns, but he hasn't been in with a huge puncher yet, either.
Old 01-17-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great fuckin' fight.

But of course there's always gotta be one judge that ruins the fun. Props to Max for letting everyone in the building know about that. My love for Max continues to rise.
Old 01-18-09, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
Great fuckin' fight.

But of course there's always gotta be one judge that ruins the fun. Props to Max for letting everyone in the building know about that. My love for Max continues to rise.
It would have been nice to have been a split decision.

Chris
Old 01-18-09, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What did Max say? My DVR cut off. I don't think 116-111 and 114-113 are that disparate, especially in a fight that close. I had Berto winning 115-112.
Old 01-21-09, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pacquiao vs. Hatton is off: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=3849386
Old 01-21-09, 05:28 PM

I hope Pacquiao gets beaten senseless by his next 'less than famous' opponent. And the same with Hatton. What with him even considering fighting De la Hoya. That boat sailed long ago.

It seems all these fighters are now in it only for as much money as they can make and not about pride and who is the best fighter.

Chris
Old 01-21-09, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What did Max say? My DVR cut off. I don't think 116-111 and 114-113 are that disparate, especially in a fight that close. I had Berto winning 115-112.
I'll get to Max's comments later, but I agree that the fight was much closer on the replay while I thought Collazo edged him the first time:

Round 1-Louie
Round 2-Berto
Round 3-Louie
Round 4-Louie (Extra point)
Round 5-Berto
Round 6-Even
Round 7-Berto
Round 8-Berto
Round 9-Louie
Round 10-Louie
Round 11-Berto
Round 12-Berto

114-114
Old 01-21-09, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Manny vs. Ricky is a tough situation. You have one of the biggest draws in boxing, probably second only to Oscar, against the undisputed P4P King. Tough to say which guy should give there.
Old 01-21-09, 06:36 PM

Manny vs. Ricky is a tough situation. You have one of the biggest draws in boxing, probably second only to Oscar, against the undisputed P4P King. Tough to say which guy should give there.
According to the story, Ricky gave, just a little.

Chris
Old 01-23-09, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Any predictions on Margarito/Mosely Saturday night? I'm giving Mosley a good shot. Don't forget that Margarito can be outboxed and Mosely's only been badly hurt one time in his career (First Vernon Forrest fight)
Old 01-23-09, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Margarito by majority decision or a late TKO.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.