Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

WWECW, TNA & ROH 2/25-3/2: So what do you think of the Mania buildup so far?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 02-25-08, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing really big to preview, as WWE continues its Wrestlamania buildup... and speaking of that buildup -

I know there's still a month to go, but this was brought up in the other thread and I think it bears repeating here:

Triple H vs. Randy Orton vs. John Cena: While we've not seen these 3 in a match together, we've seen them in all other combinations... and is anyone looking forward to the WWE strap being on any of them? Orton has less Charisma than Bret Hart. Triple H... well, we still remember his period of dominance and we're not ready for it to begin again. Speaking of not ready for it to begin again, do we really want to see the belt back on Cena?

The rumored HBK vs. Flair match: As the original poster said, if this is Flair's last match it should be to get someone else over that needs the rub.

Big Show vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr: Oh boy, another "boxer vs. wrestler" match. Yes, because those have worked so well over the years.

JBL vs. Jericho: Poor Chris. He comes back, he's going to "save the WWE," and all he does is wrestle Orton once, lose, and get stuck in a feud with JBL. JBL, a man that would never have been elevated above the midcard if he wasn't in Vince's good graces, a man that's been an announcer for the past few years, a man whose most recent claim to fame is beating up a midget.

The only match that holds my interest right now is Edge vs. Undertaker, and I wouldn't be surprised for Vince to find some way to screw it up and horn in Batista as well.
Old 02-25-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do we know for sure that JBL/Jericho is going to be continued to Wrestlemania? From the looks of things last week, I thought perhaps JBL would now be involved in the whole McMahon/Hornswaggle scene. Maybe JBL/Vince vs. Finlay/Hornswaggle or "Hornswaggle on a pole" match. I'd like to see Jericho in the Money in the Bank match.

As far as HBK/Flair goes, I am ok with that since it will be a solid (and probably emotional) match for both guys. There are other newer guys in the company who would be better served to "retire Flair" but to be honest I don't think they deserve it (Kennedy, MVP, I'm looking at you).

Looking forward to Edge/Undetaker, and I fully expect Taker to continue his streak. I too can see Batista being involved somehow, because I don't know what else he would do, although he has been facing MVP a lot lately hasn't he?
Old 02-25-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i think jeff will win the money in the bank and then beat the champ at the end of the night
Old 02-25-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Agreed on Cena/Orton/HHH, but it's a reasonable main event. No terrible issue with it, I just hope the build is decent.

I'm all for HBK/Flair. Sure, younger guys could use the push, but these days it might not even sustain to the next RAW. HBK and Flair will go out there to tear the house down and let Flair have a proper sendoff, I'm pretty excited for this one. Also excited for Edge/UT.

The MitB match should be good, except that they're jamming 8 guys in there again. It certainly seems to be Hardy's to lose, but if they throw Jericho in there he certainly makes sense to win as well.

I'm usually kinda down on WM until the build picks up, and for all the WWE sucks, they usually get WM right. But like I said in the other thread, there's no way in hell I'm paying 70 dollars for the HD PPV, so I'm skipping this year for the first time in a while.
Old 02-25-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by raven56706
i think jeff will win the money in the bank and then beat the champ at the end of the night
I was thinking that too. Then the next night on Raw, they have the triple threat rematch the next night on Raw to determine the number one contender to face Jeff at Backlash.
Old 02-25-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WM is the only WWE ppv I order, but I'll be skipping it this year. No way I'm paying $70.
Old 02-25-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The price does suck, because I was actually considering watching Wrestlemania live for the first time in years. I have mentioned it many times before, but I have a soft spot for these outside shows! It makes my knees freeze and my liver quiver.
Old 02-25-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

sucks.... but mania is generally the best ppv of the year... dont know... might still get it or wait for the Blu Ray movie
Old 02-25-08, 10:11 AM

After people give WWE and TNA heat for their angles, I'm glad that Mike Johnson from Pwinsider said that he didn't like the angle ran in the ROH 6th anniversary show featuring Larry Sweeney and Allison Danger. IMO, it was downright sick and pathetic to show that angle when a company like them who pride themselves to being better than the rest in terms of product-wise and story-telling.

Though Ring of Honor is distancing inself from the angle, the damage is done in my eyes so I lost respect for the company for doing something the terrible angle as they did. As for the crowd who did popped for the angle: Shame on them.

This is why people thumb their noses at wrestling.
Old 02-25-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Curse_7781
After people give WWE and TNA heat for their angles, I'm glad that Mike Johnson from Pwinsider said that he didn't like the angle ran in the ROH 6th anniversary show featuring Larry Sweeney and Allison Danger. IMO, it was downright sick and pathetic to show that angle when a company like them who pride themselves to being better than the rest in terms of product-wise and story-telling.

Though Ring of Honor is distancing inself from the angle, the damage is done in my eyes so I lost respect for the company for doing something the terrible angle as they did. As for the crowd who did popped for the angle: Shame on them.

This is why people thumb their noses at wrestling.
I missed that one somehow, is there a recap or link you could point to?
Old 02-25-08, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by BravesMG
I missed that one somehow, is there a recap or link you could point to?
I got the recap from pwinsiderelite.com but I can't post elite content from them or else I would kicked out. You would just have to find it.
Old 02-25-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by raven56706
Yup, me too.
Old 02-25-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only thing worse than that Sweeney skit was the people defending it on the ROH board.
Old 02-25-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I pretty much only visit 411 and InsidePulse and don't see any coverage of it there. Can somebody just quick recap it if they can't find a link?
Old 02-25-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sweeney knocked out Allison Danger and then tried to force Bobby Dempsey to sexually assault her while she was unconscious. Even for a skit trying to get Sweeney over as a heel, I'd consider that about as classy as Katie Vick.
Old 02-25-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Sweeney knocked out Allison Danger and then tried to force Bobby Dempsey to sexually assault her while she was unconscious. Even for a skit trying to get Sweeney over as a heel, I'd consider that about as classy as Katie Vick.
Uhhh... wow, I thought the drinking blood angle was way too much. That's pretty horrific right there. The worst part is that they do this stuff in front of a live audience, and people get to pop for sexual assault because wrestling is "fake."
Old 02-25-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I don't have time to read everything that's been written in this thread so far, but can we please put a moratorium on WWE wrestlers gesturing towards the WrestleMania sign?

It's almost annoying as a wrestler without a belt cupping their hands in the center of their waist and moving outwards to signify that they're going to get the belt.

For some reason these things are really annoying me..
Old 02-25-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy freakin' crap:

Mayweather to get $20 million to wrestle

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

LOS ANGELES (AP)—Floyd Mayweather Jr. is a champion boxer and has tested his moves on “Dancing With the Stars.” Now the man many consider the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world is preparing to drop the gloves and do some wrasslin.’

A $20 million payday awaits the undefeated WBC welterweight champion when he takes on Big Show as part of WWE’s “WrestleMania XXIV” at Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Fla., on March 30.

“It’s entertainment. You have a chance to just be you and do what you want to do,” Mayweather said Monday after a chaotic Staples Center event that masqueraded as a news conference.

The boxer nicknamed “Money” clearly likes the way WWE does business.
Old 02-25-08, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If that payment is true, it's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of them doing that isn't a storyline. What a useless match. What did The Giant do to get stuck with an Akebono match and now Mayweather match.
Old 02-25-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So thats why WM will be $70 this year.
Old 02-25-08, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. $20 million for a few minutes "work" on a PPV. Vince could have probably bought TNA for that.
Old 02-25-08, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cookie cutter first segment for Raw. I could stand the match at WM a bit more if it was a triangle match. It's WrestleMania. A champion should be truly crowned, not the stale 'YOU NEVER PINNED ME! I WANT MY REMATCH!' we always get with these triple threat matches.
Old 02-25-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope the money in the bank briefcase some how ends up back in Edge's hands. I think it should be a running theme.

Kennedy should be the one that ends the career of Ric Flair. I can't think of a better person to give the rub to that's currently on the roster.
Old 02-25-08, 08:52 PM
Banned

I doubt that Vince is going to pay Mayweather that kind of money. If he does, well he has to be one of the biggest idiots ever and he is really going to piss off every wrestler in the locker room and every WWE stockholder. Mayweather isn't going to put any butts at Wrestlemania. Nobody likes him. For $20 million you can bring back the Rock, Stone Cold and Hogan and put them in a 3-way match and get more PPV buyrates.
Old 02-25-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
On paper, the Jericho/Hardy match was good drama tonight. I even saw signs of a Jericho heel turn (open frustration, etc)

But crap, the match was kinda sloppy. Moves telegraphed a mile away while the other guy just stands there... and you could easily see Jericho tell Hardy the next move about every 15 seconds.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.