Reload this Page >

Bobby Knight resigns from Texas Tech

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 02-04-08, 07:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw this at ESPN. His son will now coach the team.
Old 02-04-08, 07:54 PM
Banned

Rivals.com Staff Reports

Bob Knight, the winningest NCAA men's division I basketball coach in history, has retired as Texas Tech's coach effective immediately.
Knight, 67, won his 902nd game Saturday when the Red Raiders downed Oklahoma State. He will be replaced by his son, Pat. Knight informed athletic director Gerald Myers of his decision Monday morning.

TOP 10 WINNERS
A look at the 10 coaches with the most wins in college basketball history (as of 2/4/2008):
Coach Wins
1. Bob Knight 902
2. Dean Smith 879
3. Adolph Rupp 876
4. Jim Phelan 830
5. Eddie Sutton 800
6. Mike Krzyzewski 794
7. Lefty Driesell 786
8. Lute Olson 780
9. Lou Henson 779
10. Henry Iba 764
Top 10 Winners Gallery
Knight: A Look Back
Knight won three national titles at Indiana, in 1976, '81 and '87. In all, he took the Hoosiers to 24 NCAA tournament appearances and reached the Final Four two other times.

During his tenure at Texas Tech, Knight was 138-82, and he led the Red Raiders to the NCAA Tournament in four of his six seasons, reaching the Sweet 16 in 2005. The Red Raiders are 11-8 this season and 3-3 in the Big 12, tied for sixth in the conference with Oklahoma.

Knight is one of six men who have played and coached in the Final Four. He played for Ohio State when the Buckeyes reached the Final Four in 1960, '61 and '62. He and Dean Smith are the only mean who have played and coached for a national champion.

Knight's three national titles are tied for third-most, behind John Wooden's 10 and Adolph Rupp's four. Mike Krzyzewski, who played for Knight at Army, also has three titles. Krzyzewski began his college coaching career as a graduate assistant at Indiana under Knight in 1974.

Knight's five Final Four appearances are tied for sixth all-time.

He also coached U.S. teams to gold medals in the 1979 Pan American Games and the 1984 Olympics.

Knight perhaps is as well-known for his temper and behavior as he is for his win total. He was fired at Indiana on Sept. 10, 2000, by then-IU president Myles Brand for what Brand termed a continuing pattern of "defiant and hostile" behavior.

Knight always has taken great pride in the academic achievement of his players, and during his coaching career, which began in 1965 at Army, all but four of his four-year players completed degrees, a ratio of nearly 98 percent.
http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/...146&CID=770106
Old 02-04-08, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
did anyone see it coming?
going to another team, or finally retiring?
would have been interesting to see him reach 1000.. but that would have taken a few more years
Old 02-04-08, 08:18 PM
Banned

I think he retires.
Old 02-05-08, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On sports talk radio here in Chicago they were reading columns on how they are calling him a quitter. The print media tries one last time to take a shot at him, but because of radio they won't get their message across.
Old 02-05-08, 12:06 PM
Admin

Received 318 Likes on 203 Posts
This whole thing just seems odd. I didn't see it coming.
Old 02-05-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think he only does it this way because Pat is taking over for him, and can write off the rest of the season without taking a hit for it. He still gets a fresh start next year, but with the rest of this season under his belt. Plus bob probably isn't real big into farewell tours or going away parties.
Old 02-05-08, 12:25 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

He's as warm and fuzzy as Belichick.
Old 02-05-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Quitting in the middle of the season is weak-ass.
Old 02-05-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Quitting in the middle of the season is weak-ass.
It's pretty clear he wanted #900.
Old 02-05-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Maybe he just lost a Super Bowl bet.
Old 02-05-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by derekjet
He's as warm and fuzzy as Belichick.

Good coach but as low class as they come

good riddance I say
Old 02-05-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
On sports talk radio here in Chicago they were reading columns on how they are calling him a quitter. The print media tries one last time to take a shot at him, but because of radio they won't get their message across.
Huh?
Old 02-05-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by William Fuld
Huh?
wmlopez just likes to connect everything to the liberal media.
Old 02-05-08, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Memories, like the corners of my mind...
Old 02-06-08, 01:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by starman9000
wmlopez just likes to connect everything to the liberal media.
Go here http://www.suntimes.com/sports/telander/index.html
look at columnist Rick Tenlander ( a admitted liberal) columns of the last 2 days.
I always post my facts I don't make this stuff up and I don't call people names when I don't have the facts to back them up. And I don't try to censor them like they do when a speaker is asked to speak at a collage campus and a liberal group tries to silence them. Because there's truth in what they say and it may hurt the cause.
Old 02-06-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Bobby Knights career has much irony to it. On one hand, the guy is a total jerk on the way he treats the media, his overall personality, and sometimes going over the line with his players.

On the other hand, I probably would have wanted my kid to play for him in his glory days at Indiana. He graduates nearly all his kids, never had any violations when it came to recruiting, and he was more then a coach to his players, as many say he was like a father figure to them.
Old 02-06-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
kindof odd how it all played out.. always seems bad to step aside during a season.. but I hear alot of TT fans defending him.. saying that they have a really strong team returning next year, and his son already had a guarantee to take over as head coach.. so this gives his son 10 games when they didnt have very high expectations (this season) to work with the kids as extra preparation for next season.

sounds like a load to me.. but i guess the arguement could have some merit.

oh.. and i like knight, i would be glad to have him coach at auburn
Old 02-06-08, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by twikoff
kindof odd how it all played out.. always seems bad to step aside during a season.. but I hear alot of TT fans defending him.. saying that they have a really strong team returning next year, and his son already had a guarantee to take over as head coach.. so this gives his son 10 games when they didnt have very high expectations (this season) to work with the kids as extra preparation for next season.

sounds like a load to me.. but i guess the arguement could have some merit.

As an Oklahoma State fan, I can 100% fully attest to how successful the son of the head coach can be when stepping in mid-season. Especially if the son has already been handling the recruiting and a large portion of the coaching duties already. It's like a custom-made glove and TT has many, many seasons of success directly ahead of them and should not fear going 1-15 in the conference within 2 years... That just can't happen
Old 02-06-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Go here http://www.suntimes.com/sports/telander/index.html
look at columnist Rick Tenlander ( a admitted liberal) columns of the last 2 days.
I always post my facts I don't make this stuff up and I don't call people names when I don't have the facts to back them up. And I don't try to censor them like they do when a speaker is asked to speak at a collage campus and a liberal group tries to silence them. Because there's truth in what they say and it may hurt the cause.

Hey, I didn't even disagree with you, just pointed out what you like to do.
Old 02-06-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by twikoff
why? so a coach with 900 + wins would struggle to have even a .500 record

Old 02-07-08, 03:52 PM

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION WRESTLING OFFERS COACHING JOB TO BOB KNIGHT

Total Nonstop Action (TNA) Wrestling is offering its first-ever Head Coaching job to Bob Knight, the all-time winningest Division I men's basketball coach known as much for his coaching genius as his fiery temper, who resigned Monday in the middle of the season as the Texas Tech coach.

"TNA Wrestling was shocked, like the rest of the sports world, to hear Coach Knight resigned," said Jeff Jarrett, co-founder of TNA Wrestling, who was a high school and junior college basketball player in Tennessee before becoming a professional wrestler. "Coach Knight is a sports icon and we'd be thrilled and honored to have him join the ranks, to further build TNA Wrestling into a national power, much like he did for Texas Tech."

Knight, 67, has been a head coach for 42 years at three Division I schools: Army, Indiana and Texas Tech. Knight won three national championships, including his 1976 Indiana team that went undefeated, a feat no team has done since. In 1984, he coached the U.S. Olympic team to a gold medal in Los Angeles.

TNA Wrestling has a lighter schedule than college basketball which should appeal to Coach Knight, Jarrett said, and TNA not only endorses chair-throwing, but has an endless supply of steel chairs.

In addition to Jarrett, the TNA Wrestling roster also features Kevin Nash who, during his high school basketball career in Michigan had an in-home recruiting visit from Knight. Nash, though, ultimately played at the University of Tennessee, then professionally in Germany.

TNA Wrestling delivers a distinct brand of high-risk, athletic entertainment. TNA's roster includes the biggest names in wrestling today, such as Kurt Angle, Booker T, and Christian Cage, as well as the hottest new stars in the business: A.J. Styles, Samoa Joe and the Motor City Machineguns. TNA features the innovative six-sided ring and the high flying X-Division, as well as concept matches such as "Ultimate X," "King of the Mountain," "Six Sides of Steel," "Lethal Lockdown" and "Elevation X," considered the most dangerous match in professional wrestling.

TNA Entertainment, LLC is a privately held company headquartered in Nashville, TN. For more information, visit www.tnawrestling.com. TNA programming is available in over 100 countries. "TNA iMPACT" airs every Thursday night on Spike TV (9:00 11:00 PM, ET/PT). Spike TV is available in 96.1 million homes and is a division of MTV Networks.
Old 02-07-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

TNA not only endorses chair-throwing, but has an endless supply of steel chairs.
Old 02-08-08, 03:44 AM

Complete wanker in my opinion. Hope he pisses off deep into the wilderness and is never heard from again.
Old 02-08-08, 08:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by starman9000
Hey, I didn't even disagree with you, just pointed out what you like to do.
And what's wrong with pointing out the truth?
One side gives an opinion and the other side gives an opinion and then people decide which one makes sense to them. And this way one will see which side is just out to get an agenda across.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.