DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   Bill Belichick - Love him or hate him, he's a great coach. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/523875-bill-belichick-love-him-hate-him-hes-great-coach.html)

B5Erik 01-29-08 10:47 PM

Bill Belichick - Love him or hate him, he's a great coach.

After a false start in Cleveland Bill Belichick found the right home in New England. It's been the perfect combination of ownership, coaching, scouting, and free agent evaluation.

Belichick knows how to get the most out of his players, and he knows what players will fit in his system.

Here are some interesting comments about Belichick from what may seem like an unlikely source (considering my last thread)...

Face it, Belichick knows how to coach

Nick Canepa
UNION-TRIBUNE
January 29, 2008
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...s29canepa.html

PHOENIX – Down through the years, I've steadfastly maintained Paul Brown was the best football coach. He was a great innovator who refused to overthink or overwork his staff, and he won titles at every level.

But there could be time for a change. It could be Bill Belichick. But, as the Patriots' coach approaches what could be his fourth Super Bowl title here Sunday when New England plays the Giants, he remains an enigma. Is there really evil under that hoodie?

Look, no one ever has said an NFL coach has to be a saint. Believe me, not many of them are lining up at the Vatican's canonization booth. They're not taking a number. It's a matter of the players – good players, by the way – buying into your bit.

It's interesting to think what goes into the making of a great football coach. With Belichick, it's fascinating, because he had been a head coach in Cleveland, where he couldn't win and got canned. There are those who believe the major reason Bill Parcells won two Super Bowls with the Giants was because Belichick was his defensive coordinator.

But there's no denying what happened in New England has been Belichick – along with quarterback Tom Brady. Let's don't forget players. Belichick's head coaching record without Brady: 42-58. With him: 100-26.

But Brown had Otto Graham. Lombardi had Bart Starr. Landry had Roger Staubach. Noll had Terry Bradshaw. Madden had Ken Stabler. Walsh had Joe Montana, with Steve Young as a backup. Belichick has Tom Brady.
So this is not a scoop. Great quarterbacks help. So does coaching.

Tom Bass, the former Chargers defensive coordinator and an absolute football scholar, coached under Brown in Cincinnati, and he sees similarities between the two.

“What I like about Bill is that he has tunnel vision,” Bass says. “It's the business approach. That's what Paul had, the business way. It's preparation, the way they prepare for games, even the way they travel. Belichick has the mental part of it down, more than anyone in the coaching ranks today.

“The Patriots have so little distractions. It's hard to put into words, because the players won't allow it, either. When you have self-enforcement, that's the best thing. He gets players who fit perfectly into his system.”

These are no-nonsense coaches. Bass remembers Brown with fondness, but the Hall of Fame coach didn't have time for nonsense, and it's easy to get the feeling Belichick doesn't, either.

“Paul once cut a player on the airplane,” Bass says. “He cut a tight end before he could eat breakfast or lunch.”

Be afraid. I guess that's it.

“A little fear,” Bass says. “There's always that question in the players' minds. There's that doubt. The coach isn't going to put up with any nonsense.

“I was amazed when I went from the Chargers to Cincinnati. In San Diego, we had players screaming at coaches on the sideline. The first meeting I went to in Cincinnati, the players were there 10 minutes before it started and the air conditioning was turned off. I knew I was in a different environment.”

So that's Bill Belichick, too. No nonsense. Just play football. Do what you have to do to win.

“What they've done is incredible, but, obviously, they have a great plan,” Chargers coach Norv Turner says. “The thing about Bill is that he doesn't get bored with things coaches get bored with, but he doesn't try to re-invent the game every week.”

What Belichick has managed to accomplish is to get his team totally in the same chapter. Rare is the day when you hear a Patriot speak out of line. These guys all know their roles. There are not many truly great players on this team. But, the thing is, they play great.

That's why they're 18-0 and that's why they're on the eve of the end of an odyssey no men have traveled before.

“What I think there are,” Turner says, “are guys with a plan. And they manage to stay ahead of the game. This is one of the great coaches, and most great coaches had great quarterbacks.”

See? What did I tell you? You can get by with a manager at quarterback for maybe one Super Bowl – Brian Billick did it in Baltimore with Trent Dilfer – but to sustain it, you must have the guy behind center. And you must have a coach.

“It gets lost in the shuffle that Belichick was defensive coordinator on the two Giants Super Bowl wins,” Chargers GM A.J. Smith says. “I love his background. He has the ability to take players off the street and give them individual packages defensively. Just do your jobs.

“There are 32 teams. We all like to think we've figured it out. Well, I think we're getting close, but they've figured it out.”

As Belichick says: “The most important thing is identifying what you're looking for. If you know what you want, you have a lot better chance to find it.”

Bill Belichick has found it, whatever the hell that is.
Belichick is clearly a system guy. He's got his system, and he fits the players into that system - and he knows fairly well ahead of time who will and who won't fit into his system. I don't think very many people thought Randy Moss would fit in, but Belichick didn't put up with any of the crap that Moss had pulled over the previous 3 or so seasons, and Moss fell in line and has played within their system.

I've said a few times how Junior Seau was the most undisicplined freewheeling, play by the seat of your pants kind of guy I've ever seen on the field. Under Belichick, however, he's playing within the system and staying with his assignments. It was a rare occasion to see him do that in San Diego (and he had a number of coaches). Belichick obviously knows how to get guys to buy into his system.

I can't stand Belichick myself, but I have to admit, if the Chargers had an opening at HC and Belichick was interested I'd love to see how many titles he could win here.

I'd definitely put him on my all time elite coaches list, along with Lombardi (#1 and 1A), Landry, Shula, Knoll, and Walsh.

das Monkey 01-30-08 12:47 AM

Belichick has a system of discipline, but he's not a system coach in the way the term is generally used. During his reign of terror, the Pats have been able to win with defense, balanced ball-control offense, and a high-scoring aerial attack, depending on the personnel at the time. In fact, what strikes me the most about this Pats dynasty is their remarkable ability to adapt, both in the front office and on the field. Whereas most coaches have limited skill sets and require players who fit their sphere of knowledge, it seems Belichick can handle any style. It was just a few years ago that the Pats pitched 3 shutouts, with 2 more games under a touchdown, and the best defense in the league. Now that defense is a little slow, but they finally have receivers, so they're setting records on offense.

There's no doubt that the Pats organization as a whole play a huge role in their success, but it's rare to find a coach who can adapt to the changes in personnel so effortlessly, and that in turn affords the Pats the ability to cut anyone who wants too much money or doesn't have the right attitude. Combine that game-planning ability with the way he mentally prepares his players to succeed, and the guy may end up as the greatest coach of all time.

It amuses me when people talk about Belichick's inability to win with the Browns like there's some mystery behind his rise to power. It's really quite obvious what happened. While with the Jets, he spent a lot of time hanging out with fellow Tennessean Jerry Lawler. It was through his friendship with Lawler that Belichick was first exposed to one Dwayne Johnson, who had recently become the most electrifying man in sports entertainment. Johnson shared a life philosophy with Belichick that changed the course of his career and the NFL at large, and the New England coach has not wavered from his master's teachings since. Belichick's reliance on the "Just Bring It" doctrine and his mastery of knowing your role and shutting your mouth have directly led to this impressive dynasty. Keen viewers will note the way he flashes the people's eyebrow to reporters after particularly stupid questions during a press conference.

das

TGM 01-30-08 05:24 AM

That columnist is still a fat ass-rag.

huh? 01-30-08 07:40 AM

This writer is trash.

chrisih8u 01-30-08 07:42 AM

Here's a better article about Belichick. Lot's of stuff about Cleveland.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...ene&id=3217121

Red Dog 01-30-08 08:02 AM

Are we going to get a Nick Canepa column each day leading up to the Super Bowl? I for one can't wait for the next one.

B5Erik 01-30-08 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
That columnist is still a fat ass-rag.

-rolleyes-

He's a hell of a lot better (and classier) than ANY writer I've read from the Boston Herald.

Man, the guy gives your coach props and you diss him? Where I come from that's just not cool. It's the kind of thing I'd expect from Raiders fans...

But then Canepa has a keen sense of history, so maybe you just didn't get it. Maybe you haven't even HEARD of Paul Brown or know his history (so you wouldn't even know what a compliment it is to be compared to him).

chrisih8u 01-30-08 08:07 AM

The overwhelming majority of posters here are better than the writers at the Herald.

B5Erik 01-30-08 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Are we going to get a Nick Canepa column each day leading up to the Super Bowl? I for one can't wait for the next one.

I found this one to be interesting following the "Best Team of All Time," column. Since most people outside of San Diego seem to think that all we and our writers do is bash the Patriots, posting this column seemed appropriate. Especially since it does have a lot to do with the upcoming Super Bowl.

Like I said, I hate Belichick, but I'd love to have him as our coach...

TGM 01-30-08 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik
-rolleyes-

He's a hell of a lot better (and classier) than ANY writer I've read from the Boston Herald.

Man, the guy gives your coach props and you diss him? Where I come from that's just not cool. It's the kind of thing I'd expect from Raiders fans...

But then Canepa has a keen sense of history, so maybe you just didn't get it. Maybe you haven't even HEARD of Paul Brown or know his history (so you wouldn't even know what a compliment it is to be compared to him).

Is this not the same guy from your previous post about ranking the best teams of all times? That article is so fucking biased, silly, ignorant, and downright retarded that yes, I stand by my comment. He is still a big fat ass-rag.

Oh, and if he truly was BETTER, he wouldn't be mired in Sandi-fucking-aygo.

B5Erik 01-30-08 08:30 AM

Is this not the same guy from your previous post about ranking the best teams of all times? That article is so fucking biased, silly, ignorant, and downright retarded that yes, I stand by my comment. He is still a big fat ass-rag.

He's better than any writer from the New England area that I've ever read.

And he's in San Diego because he is FROM San Diego. People who are born here typically don't want to leave. They like it here.

If you want to get all worked up after ONE column (the previous one, where he didn't bow down and worship at the altar of the mighy Patriots), then feel free to do so.

THIS column was more than fair and respectful of YOUR coach. Hell, he even said that Belichick may be the greatest coach of all time! What more do you want?

TGM 01-30-08 08:31 AM

He's better than any writer from the New England area that I've ever read.

yes, but iread through San Diego eyes. Which, when it comes to sports, might as well be Helen Kellers'.

If you do not live in Boston, New York, Philly, or Chicago, you really have no clue as to what a sports town is all about.

B5Erik 01-30-08 08:35 AM

yes, but iread through San Diego eyes. Which, when it comes to sports, might as well be Helen Kellers'.

If you do not live in Boston, New York, Philly, or Chicago, you really have no clue as to what a sports town is all about.

If it's all about acting like a jerk and putting down (and insulting) teams (and, especially, their fans) from outside your area then I don't want to know.

Seriously, Canepa said that Belichick may be the best coach of all time. I don't know that I'd put him at #1, but I'd list him in my top 5 or 6.

And I still say that even though he can be a grade A jerk I'd still love to have him as the Chargers coach.

slymer 01-30-08 09:39 AM

Horrible place to be mired in. Poor guy. I like Canepa, and yeah, Bellichick is a great coach.

TGM 01-30-08 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by slymer
Horrible place to be mired in. Poor guy. I like Canepa, and yeah, Bellichick is a great coach.

Yes, in regards to sports reporting. Gee, lets shee..

The Chargers. The Padres.

vs

The Red Sox. The Celtics. The Bruins. The Bruins.

or better yet...

The Yankees. The Mets. The Islanders. The Rangers. The Giants. The Jets. The Bills. The Knic------ uh, nevermind.

kenbuzz 01-30-08 11:53 AM

http://blogs.msg.com/gameon/images/2...ck091707_2.jpg
Belichick: Brings the "Chic" to the homeless look.

slymer 01-30-08 02:38 PM

Yes, in regards to sports reporting. Gee, lets shee..

The Chargers. The Padres.

vs

The Red Sox. The Celtics. The Bruins. The Bruins.

or better yet...

The Yankees. The Mets. The Islanders. The Rangers. The Giants. The Jets. The Bills. The Knic------ uh, nevermind.

Like I said. Poor guy. I'm sure he's miserable here.

B5Erik 01-30-08 09:19 PM

TallGuy - riddle me this...

If Boston is so great, why do we have so many damn transplants from Boston in San Diego? (And they WON'T go home!)

And why aren't there many San Diegans in Boston? I mean, it's such a great town and all, and here we are suffering in San Diego. -rolleyes-

Granted, living here can be dangerous - you've got earthquakes, fires, Raider fans, but overall I don't see too many people around here longing to move to the New England area. Not even those FROM the New England area.

And, unlike Patriots fans, when you compliment our teams for ANYTHING we say, "Thank you."

So, again, I wish Bill Belichick were the coach of the Chargers. He is definitely the best coach of this era, and belongs with the legends Lombardi, Landry, Shula, Knoll, and Walsh.

TGM 01-31-08 06:14 AM

TallGuy - riddle me this...

If Boston is so great, why do we have so many damn transplants from Boston in San Diego? (And they WON'T go home!)

Often times the elderly will seek out warmer climates in their latter years.

And why aren't there many San Diegans in Boston? I mean, it's such a great town and all, and here we are suffering in San Diego. -rolleyes-

Becuase most of y'all are pussies who freak at the sight of 3 snowflakes together.

Granted, living here can be dangerous - you've got earthquakes, fires, Raider fans, but overall I don't see too many people around here longing to move to the New England area. Not even those FROM the New England area.

And, unlike Patriots fans, when you compliment our teams for ANYTHING we say, "Thank you."

Too bad your teams don't give you much opportunity to have that exchange.

So, again... I'm not talking about the climatilogical(?), social, geopgraphical, or economical merits of California vs New England. What I DID say, that in regards to sports reporting, San Diego is not the hot-bed of activity... and that if the guy was worth his weight (!!) in salt, he'd be a columnist in a more sports-minded market.

B5Erik 01-31-08 08:27 AM

Often times the elderly will seek out warmer climates in their latter years.

No, you're thinking of FLORIDA. That's where the elderly folks go. The people that move all the way out to San Diego are between 20 and 50 (thus all the Boston sports bars we have in town filled with transplants from that part of the country). (Hell, my next door neighbor until 2 years ago was from Boston - and she REFUSED to move back! And she was only 40...)

And why don't you see San Diegans move to New England?

Becuase most of y'all are pussies who freak at the sight of 3 snowflakes together.
No, we'd kill for a little snow. We actually had snow in my neighborhood a little over 3 years ago, and we've all been eagerly waiting for more. But even though that's likely a long wait we do get a lot of snow in the mountains just 1 hour away, and a hell of a lot of people drive up there to spend the weekends in the snow.

And, back on topic, unlike Patriots fans, when you compliment our teams for ANYTHING we say, "Thank you."

Too bad your teams don't give you much opportunity to have that exchange.
Well, the Padres have been in two World Series, and won the NL West several times, so that's worth complimenting. (Especially considering how bad that team was in the 70's...) The Chargers have completely rebuilt after the disastrous Bobby "Want our #1 next year for your #2 this year?" Beathard destroyed the team in the 90's. That's worth complimenting. The Chargers have won the AFC West 2 years in a row, and have a combined 25-7 record in the regular season the last 2 years, and won 2 playoff games with an injured team this year. That's worth complimenting.

And you never did acknowledge that Canepa basically said that Belichick may be the Best NFL Head Coach of ALL TIME. So since you said he's a, "big fat ass-rag," I take it you disagree with his assessment?

What I DID say, that in regards to sports reporting, San Diego is not the hot-bed of activity... and that if the guy was worth his weight (!!) in salt, he'd be a columnist in a more sports-minded market.
Why? You just don't get it, do you? The guy was BORN here, he graduated from SDSU, he has been reporting in his HOME TOWN for 34 years. It's a great place to live, and when he was younger we also had 2 NBA teams come through town (the Rockets started here, and the Clippers were here for 5 or 6 years). SDSU was the best "Mid Major" back in the 70's, and since that was his alma mater and he got to report on the team that gave him another reason to stay.

There are a lot of advantages to staying home - especially if it's a place as nice as this (fires, earthquakes, and Raider fans notwithstanding).

And you can't judge a writer on one column, otherwise NO columnist would be employed. (Besides, what was he guilty of with that column that you despise so much? Not bowing down at the Altar of the Patriots? He didn't say they were a bad team - hell, he said they were the BEST team going! He said that their undefeated season may be the greatest achievement EVER in the NFL! Is that really not enough to appease you? Apparently, some Pats fans need to get over themselves...)

Again, name me a columnist in Boston that's worth a darn!

How about that fine, fine columnist Gerry Callahan who wrote that great, and very classy, column, "Why Bother Showing Up?" about the SD/NE AFC Championship game? All he did was make fun of the Chargers and their fans. Now THAT'S class! -rolleyes- If anyone's, "a big fat ass-rag," It's THAT guy.

And, on topic - I wish Belichick was the coach of the Chargers, because they would be on to their 2nd Super Bowl win in a row this year!

Richard Malloy 01-31-08 10:43 AM

And, on topic - I wish Belichick was the coach of the Chargers, because they would be on to their 2nd Super Bowl win in a row this year!

Erik, what are the fans in SD saying about Turner? Is anyone still lamenting the canning of Marty?

I would be. I like Marty alot, and I think he did a great job with the Chargers. I got a bit perturbed after SD beat Tennessee hearing sportscasters saying things like "that's one better than last year". No, it wasn't. Last year at that point, they were resting on a bye week with two weeks to prepare and a home game, to boot. Of course, going on to beat the Colts sorta silenced that particular criticism, but I can't help but wonder how far SD might have gone had they headed into the playoffs as a higher seed (like the year before).

And maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Marty's Chargers lost to the Pats because they played "marty ball". But I think that's a fair tag to stick on Turner. True, one might not have anticipated that the Pats would end the game with a 9-1/2 minute drive, but when the Chargers punted (from the Pat's 39-yard line) needing two scores... well, I was thrilled. I figured they'd get the ball back once, and that simply wouldn't be enough. Of course, the Chargers offense never took the field again in that game.

I think the Chargers players played well enough to be in the game at the end, and even to win it had they gotten a break or two. And I think that Turner's turn to marty ball cost them any chance.

fumanstan 01-31-08 10:53 AM

Maybe i'm missing something in the world of writing, but that seems kind of silly to me. Yeah there are those big jobs that you might relocate for, but i kind of figure unless you're leaving to work at a major media outlet like ESPN or moving to pursue a job writing for your favorite team, I don't see how it really matters where you live.

I sure as hell don't hold Boston writers in any higher regard just because they're in Boston and the sports teams are better.

Qui Gon Jim 01-31-08 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Maybe i'm missing something in the world of writing, but that seems kind of silly to me. Yeah there are those big jobs that you might relocate for, but i kind of figure unless you're leaving to work at a major media outlet like ESPN or moving to pursue a job writing for your favorite team, I don't see how it really matters where you live.

I sure as hell don't hold Boston writers in any higher regard just because they're in Boston and the sports teams are better.

Boston, along with New York, Philly and Chicago are the biggest sports markets in the country. Relocating to write at the Boston Herald IS a position worth relocating for.

fumanstan 01-31-08 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Boston, along with New York, Philly and Chicago are the biggest sports markets in the country. Relocating to write at the Boston Herald IS a position worth relocating for.

Oh, I know they're the biggest sports markets. I just wouldn't think they're big enough to relocate, but then again I'm not a writer. As a casual sports fan, I don't read an article and put more weight in it just because it comes from the Boston Herald versus the LA Times over here or even the major paper down in San Diego. All i notice really is the content; a stupid article is stupid regardless of where it's from. :shrug:

And all i know from Boston and NY are those stupid newspaper headlines that are always posted here :lol:

B5Erik 01-31-08 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Erik, what are the fans in SD saying about Turner? Is anyone still lamenting the canning of Marty?

After the 1-3 start you bet they were. After 5-5 there was still a fair amount of grumbling. But after 2 wins in the playoffs with an injury depleted team? Marty never EVER did that in one year in the playoffs.

Very few people miss him now.

I think the Chargers players played well enough to be in the game at the end, and even to win it had they gotten a break or two. And I think that Turner's turn to marty ball cost them any chance.
Maybe, but then again they were missing the best RB in the game, the best TE in the game was playing on a VERY gimpy foot, their QB was playing on NO good knees (one with an ACL tear), and on defensetheir run stuffer (the best in the game if you ask John Madden) had a bad high ankle sprain, and there were various other injuries that played into a more conservative approach.

It didn't work, but they did score 4 times (if 3 out of those 4 had been TD's then they win the game).

I've heard so many good things about Norv Turner from people who really know football - Ernie Zampese and Troy Aikman are just two - that I was wondering if his past failures were his fault, or more the fault of Dan Snyder and Al Davis. After his ability to rally this team from 1-3 to 11-5 and then to the AFC Championship game I'm willing to give the guy another year or two to prove that this season wasn't a fluke. I really do think he's becoming a better head coach.

And not having Marty around to do the motivating for them the players actually took it upon themselves (led by LT in player only meetings) to find the motivation to win - and keep winning while on that great winning streak to end the season.

But I'd still rather have Belichick. ;)