Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Bill Belichick - Love him or hate him, he's a great coach.

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Bill Belichick - Love him or hate him, he's a great coach.

Old 02-04-08, 10:00 AM
Admin

Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts
In years prior, I really wished the Giants were able to get Belichick to be their head coach, but I've lost most of the respect I once had for him. You'd think the son of a Navy coach would have better sportsmanship.
Old 02-04-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a difference a couple weeks make. You watch the media pounce on this team now. After blowing their perfect season and more spygate news coming out. The sharks are smelling blood in the water.
Old 02-04-08, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if this Rams thing generates more steam, the commish doesn't pull the Pats #7 overall pick as well. THAT would really hurt (not that losing their other 1st rounder didn't).

Without the luster of a perfect season to tarnish, the commish may go for the kill.
Old 02-04-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah stuff like this shows how the thing the line is between being the hero and the goat.

A week ago, every announcer was putting the Pats as the best team ever, now they're an afterthought and they're doubting everything tied to them.
Old 02-04-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If he's going to lose, Bill Belichick would rather be elsewhere

Yahoo Sports

Sunday, Feb 3, 2008 11:12 pm EST

On more than one occasion this year, Bill Belichick and the Patriots have run up the score on an overmatched opponent, and forced an opposing coach to sit there and watch his beaten team go through the motions while their heineys were being handed to them.

But when the shoe's on the other foot, and Bill Belichick's team has been beaten, he can't sit there and take the pain for a few seconds.

With :01 left on the clock, and his team just having failed on a last chance 4th down effort, Bill Belichick ran onto the field for a quick handshake, and then bolted for the locker room. Belichick's an important guy and everything, but I wasn't aware that the league had given him the authority to decide when games end.

There's time left on the clock, his team's been humbled, outplayed, and lost their chance at history ... and Bill Belichick doesn't have the stomach to sit there and absorb the pain until the clock read 0:00.

That's unsportsmanlike at best, disrespectful at least, and at worst, it makes him a big sissy.

Because Bill Belichick wanted to go hide when he lost, the field ended up being flooded with people, and the officials had to clear the area before the Giants could take their final snap and make it official. When you lose, you take your loss. You don't leave early because it makes you feel sad inside. Your opponent deserves more respect than that.

Anyone remember in 2004 when Randy Moss left the sidelines with two seconds left in a Vikings vs. Redskins game? Moss was selfish, a baby, a quitter, didn't respect his teammates, and didn't respect the game. Belichick just did the same thing, but did it on the biggest possible stage, and did it from the position of a leader of men.

Maybe there's something to be said for the inability to lose well ... most great winners don't lose well, and a sore loser is still a loser.

But still, if you're an adult, you finish out the game, and you give your opponents the stage and the respect they deserve.
Old 02-04-08, 11:22 AM
Premium Member

Received 300 Likes on 210 Posts
"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."
~Vince Lombardi
Old 02-04-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by SpaceBoy

A week ago, every announcer was putting the Pats as the best team ever, now they're an afterthought and they're doubting everything tied to them.
This is where these sports reporters really annoy, because they are so 'for the moment' when they assess anything in sports. Sometimes you have to take a step back and look at the situation, instead of just stating, "He is the greatest....." or "This guy is a genius" But as soon as that team falls, all of the sudden, Eli Manning is a great QB, the same guy they buried in December when they were a wildcard team.
Old 02-04-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Michael Jackson - Love him or hate hime, he's a great singer.

But he still is a terrible babysitter.

Belichick can't be a lot of great things, but I will always remember him as an asshole.
Old 02-04-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Michael Jackson - Love him or hate hime, he's a great singer.

But he still is a terrible babysitter.

Belichick can't be a lot of great things, but I will always remember him as an asshole.
Old 02-04-08, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by yojimbo44
found an article addressing his early departure...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/nfl...?urn=nfl,64971
14083 Comments

Old 02-04-08, 02:40 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

hate to say this, because bellichick is such a perpetual sourpuss (even in victory), but the clock showed '0:00' first before it got reset to '0:01'.
Old 02-04-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by derekjet
hate to say this, because bellichick is such a perpetual sourpuss (even in victory), but the clock showed '0:00' first before it got reset to '0:01'.
True. A mistake had been made my the officials with the clock. Regardless, Belicheck was well aware that they had put a second back on the clock and that they needed the Giants to kneel on the ball. Belicheck didn't need to go back in the middle and shake Coughlins hand again, he just needed to be a man for HIS team and wait until that play was over. The fact that he was already on his way to the locker room while 11 of his defensive players were on the field is inexcusable. If I were playing for him and I was one of those players on the field waiting for the final play to go off and I was watching my head coach walking into the locker room I would lose all respect for him.
Old 02-04-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if belichick knew about 12 men on the field and calling to review it... he would have known about the clock
Old 02-04-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by monkeyboy
I bet he's wishing he went for the field goal on 4th and 13.
I'm still wishing that.. it would have been another quarter won by me in the pool.
Old 02-05-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He is a cheater...not a great coach
Old 02-05-08, 02:17 PM

I wish he didn't do it, but I don't get how it's that big of a deal. I mean he was actually hugging the Giants coach and stuff at the end, that's being a great sport for him.. I could see if he just walked off.

I'm sure Bellichick just said he didn't care to the ref about the 1 more play, and just let the Giants have the win. I mean, how silly is it for him to great Coughlin or whatever at midfield then go back to the sidelines, then greet him again... It's going to be a knee so bother even playing it.

I get why he did it, but I wish he didn't so people didn't think was more of @sshole then they already did.
Old 02-05-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I wish he didn't do it, but I don't get how it's that big of a deal. I mean he was actually hugging the Giants coach and stuff at the end, that's being a great sport for him.. I could see if he just walked off.

I'm sure Bellichick just said he didn't care to the ref about the 1 more play, and just let the Giants have the win. I mean, how silly is it for him to great Coughlin or whatever at midfield then go back to the sidelines, then greet him again... It's going to be a knee so bother even playing it.

I get why he did it, but I wish he didn't so people didn't think was more of @sshole then they already did.
I don't look it as a big deal, but if the ref told him that you had to finish the game and let time expire, he should have stayed out there. At first, I didn't blame Belichick for leaving cause he in a sense, he conceded the game like they do in Golf. But once I found out that in the rules, you must play to 0:00 on the clock, and the ref clearly stated that to him, then it looks to me like sour grapes.

Not a big deal, but he still should have stayed out there.
Old 02-05-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Read my post from earlier. That is why (IMO) its a big deal. Even if it was just taking a knee, Belicheck still left his team out there before time expired. You may remember than Randy Moss did something similar a few years ago and he got a ton of shit for it too.
Old 02-05-08, 02:59 PM
Banned

Could you even IMAGINE what Patriots fans would say if it had been Norv Turner or Eric Mangini pulling this kind of classless stunt after the Patriots beat them?
Old 02-05-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why should Belichick be the one to make that decision? I think Eli had an amazing postseason and he deserved to take that final knee without Belichick trying to upstage him.
Old 02-05-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 90 Posts
great Coughlin
Freudian slip?
Old 02-06-08, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by wishbon3
Freudian slip?
Old 02-06-08, 10:31 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Nothing new here. The guys has always been a Jerk, now its been confirmed once again.

But who wouldn't want him coaching their team?
Old 02-10-08, 06:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Even if it was just taking a knee, Belicheck still left his team out there before time expired.
In his mind, he IS the team.

The other suckers out there were just some losers that 'couldn't make plays'.