Reload this Page >

Golf equipment question

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Golf equipment question

Old 01-28-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Golf equipment question

Yo. I played a lot in high school and college (about 8 years ago) but haven't played much lately. I keep hearing that the new technology (further balls, lighter drivers...etc.) has greatly shorten courses.

Anyway, I'm wonder what specifically is the reason for the length. In high school I played Titleist professionals (ballata, high end) but they don't offer them any more. I got some pro-V1's and assume they're the same type thing. What are the specific products that are responsible for these monster drives, killer spin and all that? Titanium drivers were all the rage that with graphite shafts. What has improved there? Driver's heads seem twice as big, but that doesn't seem to make up for all the extra distance.

I also remember wedges with diamond inserts for spinning the ball, but it deformed the balls easily. Anyway, thinking of getting back into the game and am looking for some history on modern equipment.

Thanks.
Old 01-28-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
The MOI has alot to do with it.
Old 01-28-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

which is what?
Old 01-29-08, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dick_grayson
which is what?
Moment of Inertia
Old 01-29-08, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shaft technology + ball technology + clubhead technology

Everything has improved since you last played. However, none of this means shit if you can't hit the ball straight.
Old 01-29-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
which is what?
See those huge face drivers you've been looking at? Those have higher MOI than your old driver. 460cc is the current max for regulation play (I think?)
Old 01-29-08, 10:51 AM

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
shaft technology + ball technology + clubhead technology

Everything has improved since you last played. However, none of this means shit if you can't hit the ball straight.
Yeah, basically. Even with technological advances, the average score for a round hasn't changed in 20 years, nor has the average length off the tee (for amateurs, that is.) But I play Mizuno blades and have taken my 460cc driver out of my bag because I can't hit it straight.

OK, where the improvement in technology will really help you is in club fitting. Go to someplace where they will analyze your swing for swing speed, spin, etc., and then you can get fit for clubs and shafts that really suit you.
Old 01-29-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan
But I play Mizuno blades and have taken my 460cc driver out of my bag because I can't hit it straight.
Get a Taylor Made R7 Quad and you'll hit it straight. BTW, I also play the Mizuno blades(MP32). Awesome irons. I would also recommend a Rife putter. This putter has given me the truest roll that I have ever experienced.
Old 01-29-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I got rid of my Mizuno blades (MP32s as well) last summer for the Taylor Made R7 TP irons.

I carded my 3 best rounds of my life (74, 74, 75) a month after I got them.

FWIW, I'm using a Taylor Made Rossa Monza Putter ($150 for a putter WTF) that's had me putting better than I ever have too.

I just need to upgrade my wedges now.
Old 01-29-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are Cleveland wedges still the way to go?

Back in the day, Calloway and Nike didn't make balls (Calloway just began making irons). Are those balls any good? Or should I be happy with my pro-v1s? I guess I should upgrade my driver since my current one is an old Yonex graphite head. I also have a steel Big Bertha Warbird, which is in fine shape, but imagine I could get a shitload more distance with some sort of composite.

Also, what about those square headed drivers? I notice Tiger doesn't use one, although with his swing speed, I shouldn't model my clubs after him.
Old 01-29-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pro V1s are still mostly considered a top-class golf ball. For most mid-level amateurs (5 to 15 handicap), a ball that combines the ability to moderately spin the ball with moderate distance -- kind of a ball of all trades -- should be good enough. You don't need to be hitting a rock but you also don't need to be hitting something incredibly soft either. I think the Pro-V1 handles this the best of the bunch.

Just my opinion. I'll probably be told I'm wrong.
Old 01-29-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=dick_grayson]Are Cleveland wedges still the way to go?

/QUOTE]

Cleveland wedges or Titliest wedges are the top two wedges. Sonartech makes a good wedge.
Old 01-29-08, 03:01 PM

Balls - Titleist NXT Tours are a good compromise in terms of performance and price. Moderately high spin, 3-piece ball that won't punish you too much with errant drives.

If you find a box of remaindered Precept U-Tri Tours, buy 'em.

Wedges - I have Clevelands, I have Titleist Vokeys. The Vokeys are, IMO, much better. YMMV.
Old 01-29-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan

Wedges - I have Clevelands, I have Titleist Vokeys. The Vokeys are, IMO, much better. YMMV.
I think that we have the same equipment-I also have the Bob Vokey wedges and they are quite excellent. I also recommend the Ecco Crossfire shoes for extreme comfort and an Ogio stand bag with the Schling strap.
Old 01-29-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FWIW, I'm using a Taylor Made Rossa Monza Putter ($150 for a putter WTF) that's had me putting better than I ever have too.
If you care about posting a number, you can't cheap out on a putter. Afterall, putts count for half of your strokes(putt for dough).
Old 01-29-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
If you care about posting a number, you can't cheap out on a putter. Afterall, putts count for half of your strokes(putt for dough).

Yeah I know. I just think it's funny that you can pay a lot of money for a flat part at the end of a stick.
Old 01-29-08, 04:11 PM

Putter - Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2.
Old 01-29-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are Cleveland wedges still the way to go?

Back in the day, Calloway and Nike didn't make balls (Calloway just began making irons). Are those balls any good? Or should I be happy with my pro-v1s? I guess I should upgrade my driver since my current one is an old Yonex graphite head. I also have a steel Big Bertha Warbird, which is in fine shape, but imagine I could get a shitload more distance with some sort of composite.

Also, what about those square headed drivers? I notice Tiger doesn't use one, although with his swing speed, I shouldn't model my clubs after him.
I just saw a special on the Golf Channel where Tiger was talking about the square headed drivers. Basically it was just a half hour long infomercial for Nike, but it's hard not to listen to Tiger.

Anyway, he said the square headed drivers definitely go further and straighter. He claims the reason he doesn't use one is because he likes to work the ball left to right or right to left at will off the tee and the square headed drivers make it harder to work the ball. Honestly, I don't know if I buy that though. Tiger can't hit the broad side of a barn off the tee and I can't imagine he's that worried about drawing or fading the ball with his driver. He should just focus on getting it in the fairway. He already wins 8 times a year hitting only half the fairways. If he hit 3 more fairways a round he'd probably never lose.

So, if in fact, Tiger's telling the truth about that then I would think every amateur should play one of those square things. I know I couldn't care less about working the ball. I just want to be in the fairway.
Old 01-29-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got rid of my Mizuno blades (MP32s as well) last summer for the Taylor Made R7 TP irons.

I carded my 3 best rounds of my life (74, 74, 75) a month after I got them.

I just need to upgrade my wedges now.
so, your clubs are all cut down about 10 or 12 inches, right?