Reload this Page >

BCS Selection Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

BCS Selection Thread

Old 12-02-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
BCS Selection Thread

This ought to be fun. One undefeated team, but nobody respects their schedule. Two one-loss teams, one who won their conference and the other who didn't even win their division. And a bunch of two- and three-loss teams who have their own supporters.

At least with Ohio State now moving out of the seven "automatic" Big Ten bowl games and into the national championship, all three of the conference's 7-5 teams are now guaranteed a bowl.... so there's no chance of the Hoosiers not playing 13. Coach Hep would be proud.
Old 12-02-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A recipe for argument, bickering, and debate. For my two cents, I'd say Ohio State vs. Oklahoma.

LSU hasn't impressed me at all this year. Their "vaunted" defense is seeming ripped up on a weekly basis. Matt Flynn hasn't come close to playing a game as well as the bowl blow-out versus Miami a couple of years ago. The "genius" head coach is foolhardy enough to constantly put them in a position to lose to athletically inferior opponents (they were an Eric Ainge choke job away from picking up a third loss yesterday.) As of right now, they are getting by on reputation.

Va. Tech has a pretty decent argument seeing as how the only teams to which they lost were both ranked #2 (at the time of the losses that is) but one of those was a blow-out against the aformentioned Bayou-Bengals.

USC lost to Stanford...at home. None of Stanford's starters should be able to make USC's scout team.

The disappointment of the season is Dennis Dixon's injury. I know that Heisman and MVP aren't and shouldn't be synonymous, but I've never seen a better example of how much one player means to his team.

The worst argument that I see thrown about it is the "Well, ______ and _____ are playing the best right now." If you want to do it that way, let's shorten the season by 10 games or so and just take the most impressive teams after a couple of weeks. This is just a lame excuse for teams not "taking care of their business" early in the season.

Last edited by kurupt; 12-02-07 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-02-07, 09:14 AM

Boycott the BCS this year. The games aren't that compelling an they'll be meaningless. It's the best chance we've ever had as fans to get this thing moving towards a national championship decided by tournament.

http://boycottthebcs.blogspot.com/
Old 12-02-07, 09:35 AM
Banned

So rather than 5 bowls being "meaningless", you'd rather have a whole season be meaningless?
Old 12-02-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, if we go on wins and loses, it SHOULD BE:

Hawaii vs OSU or Hawaii vs Kansas

...but we don't work tjat way anymore.

Looking at the polls, it SHOULD BE Ohio State vs. Georgia. Plain and simple.
Old 12-02-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
boycott?
this has been one of the most entertaining years in college football i can remember.. and going into the bcs selection show, there are a handful of teams with a solid arguement for play
if you lose a game in college football, you lose any arguement you have about getting screwed
while a 2+1 again could have worked really well.. we arent going to see one for a few more years..
unless the bcs does something really stupid, i dont have a problem with any of the matchups

hawaii knows they arent really a candidate for a NC game, and that they are doing good to get a BCS game.. they just cant be compared to the rest of the teams

and kansas didnt beat a single team that currently has even 1 vote in the polls.. funny, but they are in close to the same situation as hawaii.. but kansas had their chance, if they had beat missouri and oklahoma.
Old 12-02-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
Looking at the polls, it SHOULD BE Ohio State vs. Georgia. Plain and simple.
far from simple
uga was sitting at home on their couch while lsu was playing in the SECC game.. that win goes onto their resume and moves them up. they shouldnt have been any more than 1 spot below uga before the game "the coach's secretaries are idiots'. Not to mention, they are actual conf champs
the arguements i can see for playing osu are lsu, va tech, and oklahoma. uga is a stretch, but they are in there.

but when you take those 4 teams out in context.. all uga has going for them over the other 3 is their poll position before this weeks games.. but all 3 of those teams were busy winning conf championships this weekend.
Old 12-02-07, 09:59 AM

To be honest, Ohio shouldn't even be ranked, or, at the least, ranked down there with Hawaii. They play in a joke conference with a bunch of nobodies. And that includes Michigan. As a result, they are up for a BCS bowl every single year. Why?

Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida (Tim Tebow will be the Heisman winner) and LSU, two of those four, should be in the national championship game. Preferably LSU, as I'm a LSU fan, but honestly, Oklahoma has been the only one that has impressed me this year outside of the SEC. For me, in college football, there is the SEC and there is everybody else. If any SEC team played Ohio State's schedule every year, that SEC team would always be undefeated or have one loss depending on if the Wolverines show up to play that year.

At least with Ohio State up there, I'm guaranteed of a blow out victory by whomever plays them. There's a reason Florida was the national champion last year and its because the Buckeyes suck.

If we went by records alone, than yeah, Ohio State should play Hawaii this year. At least give Hawaii a chance to shine this year. God knows the way they've played this year, they deserve it.
Old 12-02-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by harrydoyle
Boycott the BCS this year.

That's generally what I do anyway. Just watch the title game, one of the other games if there is something unusual - like Hawaii playing this year, or if I happen to bet on a game (which given the lunacy of playing a bowl game over a month after the regular season ends is a rarity).
Old 12-02-07, 10:40 AM

Anyone who doesn't think that the regular season would still be meaningful with an 8-team playoff doesn't have very strong foresight.
Old 12-02-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Using Logic it will be Ohio State versus either LSU, Oklahoma, or USC. LSU does have the tough losses in 3 OT, and they're clear media favorites over the other two teams I mentioned. But if it's not one of those three games, I'm not sure how you can say it with a straight face. Anything else just seems like a farce.
Old 12-02-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by harrydoyle
Anyone who doesn't think that the regular season would still be meaningful with an 8-team playoff doesn't have very strong foresight.
or has seen the nfl

speaking of the nfl.. wake me when the playoffs start.. zzzzzzzzzz
Old 12-02-07, 11:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by twikoff
or has seen the nfl

speaking of the nfl.. wake me when the playoffs start.. zzzzzzzzzz
Old 12-02-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes because competing for 8 playoff spots out of 100+ teams is just like competing for 12 playoff spots out of 32 teams.
Old 12-02-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk God

with college football.. you have the feeling that every game matters.. you need to go undefeated to have a chance for the championship
if you lose a game, you could very well be out of the running

if you are a fan, and your team loses.. you get drunk and have trouble sleeping for a few days as you wallow in misery

this is how it should be

with 8 teams or more.. then the teams that are perceived as stronger at the start of any season.. could coast, because they could afford to lose 2 games and it not matter

who cares about the big matchup.. you can lose that.. and as long as you only lose 1 more.. no big deal

quickest way to ruin a good thing

luckily, it doesnt matter.. because there is no way of it ever happening in our lifetime (or our grandchildrens lifetime for that matter)
Old 12-02-07, 11:39 AM

Once again, this is incredible lack of foresight. Every game would have mattered this year if we had a tournament. Even in the rare case that a team does wrap up their conference title early, they would be fighting for a top 4 seed and a home field first round game. Saying that LSU could have coasted in an 8-team format makes as much sense as saying they did coast in the current format, because even though they lost 2 games, they were always going to move back into the top 2. (If it ends up being USC or UGA in the champ game, substitute them for LSU and the point is still the same).
Old 12-02-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

far from simple
uga was sitting at home on their couch while lsu was playing in the SECC game.. that win goes onto their resume and moves them up. they shouldn't have been any more than 1 spot below uga before the game "the coach's secretaries are idiots'. Not to mention, they are actual conf champs
the arguments i can see for playing osu are lsu, va tech, and oklahoma. uga is a stretch, but they are in there.

but when you take those 4 teams out in context.. all uga has going for them over the other 3 is their poll position before this weeks games.. but all 3 of those teams were busy winning conf championships this weekend.
Well then, OSU was sitting at home doing the same.

Remember way back when when Florida lost to FSU and ended up playing them for the National Championship? They were ranked, what, fourth at the time? Number 4 vs #1 FSU. College football is truly stupid when you rely on a coaches vote for your poll.

Should be fun tonight.
Old 12-02-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

with college football.. you have the feeling that every game matters.. you need to go undefeated* to have a chance for the championship
*and play in a BCS conference
Old 12-02-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, LSU has NO BUSINESS being in the NC game. If the game is OSU-LSU, I won't bother watching the snooze fest!
Old 12-02-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
I think if you asked fans and players of I-AA teams whether the regular season matters, you'll get the following answer: "absolutely."
Old 12-02-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

with college football.. you have the feeling that every game matters.. you need to go undefeated to have a chance for the championship

I just don't buy into the "every game matters" argument. For one, most games don't matter to most teams by week 2. Besides, for those teams that do matter, you can lose one game or even 2 and still make the championship, which would be about the same as an 8 game playoff.

But you are right, it's not going to change so arguing it is pretty pointless.
Old 12-02-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
*and play in a BCS conference
Im ok with non BCS conf teams playing in the championship game
if they schedule tough out of conference games, and win
Old 12-02-07, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I think if you asked fans and players of I-AA teams whether the regular season matters, you'll get the following answer: "absolutely."
yea.. i bet nfl players think their season matters too
Old 12-02-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk God

some of the lists i monitor are discussing the idea of lsu vs uga in the championship game

that one is pretty dillusional.. but i guess since alot of people cant find any respect for OSU this year.. if you take them out of the picture, anything would be possible
Old 12-02-07, 01:39 PM

LSU #2 in both the new polls

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/polls.htm

Ohio State has never won a bowl game against a SEC team.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.