DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   NY Mets: 2008 March Towards A Championship (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/514330-ny-mets-2008-march-towards-championship.html)

NotThatGuy 10-12-07 10:34 PM

NY Mets: 2008 March Towards A Championship

Because The Cow wanted it ....here ya go!

For the interim, we can talk about the NY METS off-season. Please don't clutter this up with NON-MET stuff.....the general MLB threads are better suited for that.

-p

The Cow 10-12-07 10:39 PM

You are my new hero. :up:

(for a day or two)

Kerborus 10-12-07 11:18 PM

So... Are the Mets washed up now?

The Cow 10-12-07 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kerborus

Go ahead, start a Braves and Pistons thread. I triple dog dare ya -wink-

NotThatGuy 10-12-07 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kerborus

Far from.

I think they pick up Santana and a few other pieces.

-p

kenbuzz 10-13-07 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by pedagogue
I think they pick up Santana and a few other pieces.

Santana? Smooth. Everything's Coming Our Way. Oye Como Va.
Spoiler:
and other hits, all these can be yours on K-Tel records!

Bobou2 10-13-07 12:38 AM

The Mets are dead to me....
well at least till Feb 08

El Scorcho 10-13-07 12:44 AM

this is so fucking stupid and pointless

Jobronie 10-13-07 05:50 AM

Far from.

I think they pick up Santana

That was my first question, before I even opened the thread: just who do you plan on sending to MN to get him?

And I'm assuming a strong run will be made on Posada......

nevermind 10-13-07 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
this is so fucking stupid and pointless

He's trying the "chew slowly to avoid choking" method. ;)

wildcatlh 10-13-07 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jobronie
That was my first question, before I even opened the thread: just who do you plan on sending to MN to get him?

And I'm assuming a strong run will be made on Posada......

ped's dream is likely that it could be done with Humber or Pelfrey, Milledge, and another player.

Reality is that it would probably take Reyes, Humber or Pelfrey, and another B-level prospect.

Bacon 10-13-07 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by nevermind
He's trying the "chew slowly to avoid choking" method. ;)

ahem
http://www.hoinews.com/uploadedImage...ago%20Cubs.jpg
-wink-

VinVega 10-13-07 09:53 AM

peddy has no shame. :lol:

FantasticVSDoom 10-13-07 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by VinVega
peddy has no shame. :lol:

You've got to admire that in a fan though, :lol:

Kerborus 10-13-07 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
Go ahead, start a Braves and Pistons thread. I triple dog dare ya -wink-

I don't get it. BTW, I think the Braves have a lot of pieces to get Santana. :)

NotThatGuy 10-17-07 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by wildcatlh
ped's dream is likely that it could be done with Humber or Pelfrey, Milledge, and another player.

Reality is that it would probably take Reyes, Humber or Pelfrey, and another B-level prospect.

Andy....can I have what you are smoking? Santana's TRADE value went down because of his intent to walk. Reyes is a Top 10 player IN THE LEAGUE, and you don't trade that for 1 year of someone walking, let alone top prospects.

-p

NotThatGuy 10-17-07 09:21 AM

This was posted over at Met's Refugees, and I thought it was posting over here......

http://www.dugoutcentral.com/blog/?p=424

According to sources in New York, Yankees closer Mariano Rivera is sincere in his interest in playing for the New York Mets next year. He isn’t happy with how his contract was handled during the spring prior to the season, or with the uncertainty of Joe Torre’s status as the Yankees manager.

After the dust settles on the Torre situation, Rivera intends to get in touch with Mets manager Willie Randolph, who knew Rivera from his time as a Yankees coach.

It will be interesting to see whether the Mets have a corresponding interest, and how Rivera would fit with the Mets. Mets closer Billy Wagner still has two years remaining on the four-year, $43M contract he signed in November of 2005. Rivera would seemingly require at least a two-year, $20M deal, meaning the Mets would have more than $20M per year tied up in two older closers. Wagner will be 36 at the start of next season and Rivera 38.

Could Wagner and Rivera co-exist? Would the Mets go through the hassle and potential expense of signing Rivera and trading Wagner – perhaps just for one-upmanship in their battle with the Yankees for attention?
I think it is for leverage, but interesting none the less.

-p

VinVega 10-17-07 09:58 AM

This was posted over at Met's Refugees, and I thought it was posting over here......

I think it is for leverage, but interesting none the less.

-p

Rivera is just going right to the source of King George's emotions, the Mets. He just upped his asking price because George will overreact if the Mets could make a splash by signing his prized closer. Signing Mo makes no sense for the Mets, they already have a closer. It would be funny to watch Wagner coming in for the 8th and Rivera coming in for the 9th both to Enter Sandman. :lol:

LurkerDan 10-17-07 10:12 AM

Andy....can I have what you are smoking? Santana's TRADE value went down because of his intent to walk. Reyes is a Top 10 player IN THE LEAGUE, and you don't trade that for 1 year of someone walking, let alone top prospects.

-p

I am sure that Andy is assuming that Santana agrees to an extension as part of the deal. Of course that deal doesn't make sense for a 1 year shot, but if Santana was signed long term, I'd do it.

VinVega 10-17-07 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
I am sure that Andy is assuming that Santana agrees to an extension as part of the deal. Of course that deal doesn't make sense for a 1 year shot, but if Santana was signed long term, I'd do it.

That's going to be the key for any of the Santana suitors, that he be signed to a long term deal before the trade happens. They will request to negotiate with Santana and his agent in the trade process.

LurkerDan 10-17-07 10:31 AM

Agreed. He'll fetch a lot even if he won't sign long term, there isn't a better rent a player deal out there, but he'll really bring the goods if he signs.

Santana makes me throw out most of my rules regarding deals and trades; he's a very rare commodity.

NotThatGuy 10-17-07 10:50 AM

Santana is an ace, but he is only good every 5 days. Reyes is a perennial all-star that plays everyday. There is no way he is even mentioned in this deal, especially considering he is signed to a very reasonable long term deal.

-p

LurkerDan 10-17-07 11:10 AM

I like Reyes, don't get me wrong, but the hard on you appear to have for him is a bit scary.

NotThatGuy 10-17-07 08:17 PM

I'd do the same thing if I had Hanley Ramirez.

-p

Kerborus 10-18-07 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
I like Reyes, don't get me wrong, but the hard on you appear to have for him is a bit scary.

:lol: