Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

The LA Lakers Thread: 2007-2008

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The LA Lakers Thread: 2007-2008

Old 10-31-07, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Do most Laker fans still want Kobe on the team or do y'all just wish they would get him the hell out of town? Just curious.
Old 10-31-07, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Do most Laker fans still want Kobe on the team or do y'all just wish they would get him the hell out of town? Just curious.
I think it's pretty much split down the middle. Some fans know the Lakers need Kobe if they have any hopes in the next couple years to win, and understand his frustration with the team's direction. They just want the team to win and see the guy they supported for the last 11 years finish it. I'm probably leaning in that direction.

Just as many are probably sick of his shit over the summer and the media circus and think it's better for everyone to just move on. Even that group, though, probably is wary knowing they probably won't get back enough good players and set the Lakers back 5 years.
Old 10-31-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who didn't know, Kobe definitely got booed last night during the opening lineups. It was about 50/50 and I was shocked (but then again I didn't cheer for the guy like I usually do, he's pissed off even the biggest fans of his)
Old 10-31-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PJsig08
For those who didn't know, Kobe definitely got booed last night during the opening lineups. It was about 50/50 and I was shocked (but then again I didn't cheer for the guy like I usually do, he's pissed off even the biggest fans of his)
Did you manage to stay the whole game? How many people were left for the last 2 minutes?
Old 10-31-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Apparently according to a Chicago radio station 670 there's a deal close for Kobe as part of a 3 way with Sacramento.

A recap from someone at Lakers Ground said:

Here's the deal:
- Does not involve Deng
- Does involve (best info at the moment) Kirk Hinrich
- 3rd team is the Kings
- Artest Going to Lakers

Another rumor, but i don't really understand why the Lakers would get Artest if Kobe is gone. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me if it's even remotely close to being true.

Then again, Magic says no way:

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...oing_to_happen

Last edited by fumanstan; 10-31-07 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-31-07, 04:44 PM

I was amazed at the amount of people leaving after 2 minutes left. With Kobe Bryant in the building, you should know to NEVER leave unless its a 20 point game w/2 mins.

I was going nuts when Fish hit that shot but then came back down to Earth only a few seconds later. Great game either way and a part of me is glad Kobe got booed
Old 10-31-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 320 Posts
Well, apparantly, he's still not pulling his weight as most fans probably expected him to score 60+ points.

I don't understand the boos, quite frankly, and Magic's comments about it were largely speculation about what I feel were casual fans. Where were the boos when Shaq demanded to be paid or traded? Kobe doesn't want to be paid, he wants the organization to go out and get some talent on the team. Talent he was promised. When he tested the free agency waters, wasn't that promise part of the deal? And here it is, 3 years later and nothing. Truthfully, I feel he's asking for what's best for himself and for the team.

And I can bitch about it till I'm blue in the face, but this all would never had happened if West had never left, leaving Kupchak as the GM.
Old 10-31-07, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by devilshalo

And I can bitch about it till I'm blue in the face, but this all would never had happened if West had never left, leaving Kupchak as the GM.
I disagree, after reading an article by Roland Lazenby about the Lakers organization and management. All of this to me seems as much a Jerry Buss/Jim Buss move, regardless of who the GM is.

That and I think West is overrated as a GM.
Old 10-31-07, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I disagree, after reading an article by Roland Lazenby about the Lakers organization and management. All of this to me seems as much a Jerry Buss/Jim Buss move, regardless of who the GM is.

But the fact is that Kupchak basically kept an aging team together and didn't upgrade any of the parts necessary to maintain the winning streak. West leaving was inevitable after he brought the first Shaq era championship. He clashed with Buss. I'm saying Kupchak has done nothing since taking the GM seat and the only improvements he tried to make were the addition of Malone and Payton (which was desperate at best.)
Old 11-01-07, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
It's true, Kupchak never does anything. No big names coming to the Lakers. No "wow, they are gonna contend for sure" feelings after the crap he signs comes in.

I still like Kobe though, and I know the Lakers will get screwed in this deal. Kobe goes to the Bulls, and they win the title in 2-3 years. Shaq trade version 2, basically.
Old 11-01-07, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Oh and honestly, I don't think the Lakers will ever be back to being feared unless they totally tank a season and get lucky with a pick (a la the Spurs and Duncan) or just spend money big time and sign some good players.
Old 11-01-07, 10:17 AM

Well, other than the big money, West was the main reason that Shaq came to the Lakers. When you have a good reputation like West did / does, people wanted to play for him. They know he will treat them fairly (which he did) and he was a good mediator (which he was with Shaq & Kobe). So, I don't think he was overrated.

Chris
Old 11-01-07, 11:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Apparently according to a Chicago radio station 670 there's a deal close for Kobe as part of a 3 way with Sacramento.

A recap from someone at Lakers Ground said:

Here's the deal:
- Does not involve Deng
- Does involve (best info at the moment) Kirk Hinrich
- 3rd team is the Kings
- Artest Going to Lakers

Another rumor, but i don't really understand why the Lakers would get Artest if Kobe is gone. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me if it's even remotely close to being true.

Then again, Magic says no way:

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...oing_to_happen
No Deng, no deal.

The Lakers better not do this deal unless it involves Deng -- I don't give a shit what Kobe wants. The Lakers are suppose to trade the best player in the league and get mediocre players in return? Knowing Mitch, he'll probably do the deal anyways. We got mediocre players in return for Shaq so I imagine the same will happen with Kobe.
Old 11-01-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Setzer
No Deng, no deal.

The Lakers better not do this deal unless it involves Deng -- I don't give a shit what Kobe wants. The Lakers are suppose to trade the best player in the league and get mediocre players in return? Knowing Mitch, he'll probably do the deal anyways. We got mediocre players in return for Shaq so I imagine the same will happen with Kobe.
Well, someone better talk to Kobe since ultimately, he holds the cards as far as a trade going thru. That no trade clause was his insurance.
Old 11-01-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Chris Broussard speaks the truth:

Latest Kobe offers: ludicrous
posted: Thursday, November 1, 2007 | Feedback | Print Entry
filed under: NBA, Milwaukee Bucks

The Lakers should not trade Kobe Bryant this season. Period.

They need to put an end to this circus ASAP, and they should do so by coming out publicly and saying Kobe will remain with the Lakers, that they're no longer listening to offers.

The offers they've been getting are a joke. The latest talk, as reported on Wednesday, by my colleague Ric Bucher, had them receiving Ben Wallace and Ron Artest in a three-way crash with Chicago and Sacramento.

And that makes the Lakers better how?

David Stern should take the franchise away from Jerry Buss if he makes that deal. In fact, he should fine him for even considering it.

First of all, Big Ben is not the Big Ben of old. He's just old. Yes, he's still a good player, but he's no longer a major impact player, certainly not on a nightly basis. At its height, Ben's game was based on athleticism, and with that declining due to age, Ben is ordinary on many nights. Plus, he's owed $28.5 million the next two seasons after this one.

Do I even have to discuss the red flags attached to Artest?

You're going to trade Kobe to alleviate turmoil by bringing in the King of Disruption? It took a new coaching staff, several trades and a couple of years before Indiana even began to work its way out of the mess Artest left them in.

I don't mind bringing Artest to L.A. if Kobe's there, but without Kobe, I don't touch him.

My point is that the Lakers are not being offered anything of substance for Kobe. Teams are trying to get him on the cheap.

Not even Chicago's best offer, which would include Deng, excites me. Put this exact Chicago team in the West and they're a lower-rung playoff team at best. I'm not so sure they're better than a healthy New Orleans squad. They definitely don't have a Chris Paul or a Tyson Chandler.

Plus, the Bulls' players (who would become Lakers players) don't have the pizzazz the fans in L.A. like to see.

Throw in the fact that Kobe is nixing any deal that includes Deng (because he wants to play with him in Chicago), and I see absolutely no reason to deal with the Bulls.

John Paxson is correct to try and do everything he can to get Kobe, especially if he can keep Deng too, but the Lakers need to chill.

Again if I'm L.A., I tell Kobe, "We're keeping you.'' At the very least, I say, "Unless you waive your no-trade clause, we won't move you.''

There is plenty of time to smooth this whole thing over. Kobe can't opt out for nearly two years.

Remember how bad things were between Phil Jackson and Kobe a few years ago? Phil blasted him in a book for crying out loud!

But over time, Phil eventually became Kobe's confidante. Given time -- and a little bit of success on the court (which is not out of the question judging by the Lakers' opening night performance) -- this can be worked out, too.

And keep an eye on Jermaine O'Neal. Let's see how he fits into Jim O'Brien's new, up-tempo, trey-heavy offense. O'Neal's not happy in Indy, and he's one of the few remaining reminders of the aforementioned "Artest Nightmare.''

If Indy continues to play well, and O'Neal's not a big factor in their success, maybe the Pacers will be willing to send him to L.A. without getting Andrew Bynum in return. The Lakers could at least explore a three- or four-team deal that might enable them to keep Bynum and get O'Neal.

Kobe, while he still wanted to be traded, was actually behaving very professionally before Buss came out and publicly said the Lakers are open to trading him. That's when he began to sulk, and the circus started anew.

Also, if Kobe remains unhappy this season, the Lakers will probably get better offers around the draft.

And remember, when Kobe can opt-out of his deal in 2009, it's not like a lot of teams will have the cap room to sign him for $20 million plus per year, certainly not many good teams that are ready to compete for a championship.

By then, Kobe will be almost 32 years old with 13 NBA seasons under his belt. Plus, almost two seasons worth of playoff games. I'm sure he'll still have a couple of great years left, but his best days will almost certainly be behind him.

Just to put that type of wear-and-tear into perspective, Michael Jordan played 11 full seasons with the Chicago Bulls, plus two seasons worth of playoff games.

My point is that Kobe's opt-out clause won't give him as much leverage as he thinks it will.

And while few teams ever go this route, what's wrong with letting Kobe walk after two years (if he insists on doing so) and getting nothing back in return?

Obviously, he's a great talent, but rather than get chumped in a sign-and-trade deal, why not just let his $21 million roll off their payroll? Lamar Odom's contract will end that year as well, giving the Lakers plenty of cap room to work with.

Bynum, if he's ever going to be anything, will be balling by then, and you could add top-notch free agent pieces. Everyone wants to play in L.A.

Remember, LeBron will be able to opt out of his deal the year after that in 2010. If Cleveland can't put the right pieces around him (you know, I hope they can), who's to say LeBron won't be ready to go rejuvenate the Lakers.

Bottom line is this: If I'm the Lakers, I don't let Kobe push me around and trade him just because he's unhappy.

Dr. Buss has clearly taken this thing personally, but he has to be smart enough to make the right business decision.

And that's to tell Kobe and the world that he's off the market.
This is the way i'd go. No way should the Lakers trade Kobe just because and accept the crappy offers that have been in the news.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...roussard_chris
Old 11-01-07, 05:08 PM

Very good article.

I like LeBron in 2010
Old 11-01-07, 05:45 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071101/..._kobe_rumors_2

Paxson: Kobe's not going to Chicago

By ANDREW SELIGMAN, AP Sports Writer
1 hour, 37 minutes ago

DEERFIELD, Ill. - Kobe Bryant won't be joining the Chicago Bulls anytime soon.

General manager John Paxson basically squashed the notion that the Los Angeles Lakers' superstar will wind up in Chicago, saying the teams were never on the verge of a deal and talks were over for now.

"There's not a deal done," he said Thursday. "There's not going to be a deal done. All the things that were out there were really unfair to all of us who were trying to do our jobs. The misinformation ... I think gets in the way of the process. It's just such a complicated thing and we kind of put it to rest now."

Paxson's comments came a day after a flurry of rumors. Speculation picked up Wednesday, with one report saying the Bulls, Sacramento Kings and Los Angeles Lakers were discussing a three-way deal that would bring the superstar to Chicago.

That scenario had Paxson sending Ben Gordon and a signed-and-traded P.J. Brown to Sacramento, Chicago's Ben Wallace and the Kings' Ron Artest heading to Los Angeles and the Bulls landing Bryant.

Bryant drew some boos during introductions before the Lakers' season-opening 95-93 loss to Houston on Tuesday, after calling the front office a mess and asking to be traded during the offseason. The jeers turned to cheers as Bryant scored 18 of his 45 points in the fourth quarter to lead a comeback.

The trade deadline isn't until February, so it's possible talks between the Lakers and Bulls could resume.

"Who knows?" Paxson said. "The reality is that right now, it's done."

Paxson was concerned the issue would become a distraction, so he decided to put it to rest.

"I think today sends a message to our players that nothing's going to be done," he said.

Chris
Old 11-02-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm probably the only one watching on a Friday night and posting, but the Lakers look great after one quarter, up 33-20. All the guards, Kobe, Farmar, Critt, and Fish are making plays.

I really wish this is what we'd see from the Lakers more often, instead of Kobe dominating the ball. The ball is moving around, the guards are making smart passes, and the offense is actually running. The Suns shots just aren't falling though, and i'm sure they'll up the tempo with ease to make things interesting, but it's still encouraging to see.

EDIT: Or not. Lakers by 25 29!

Last edited by fumanstan; 11-02-07 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-02-07, 11:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Phoenix getting OWNED tonight! Loving every minute of it! Lakers looking good so far....let's hope they can keep this up for 12 more minutes.
Old 11-02-07, 11:56 PM
Banned

lol at Phoenix.
Old 11-03-07, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was pretty resigned to watching the Lakers open the season 0-3. What a delightful way of being proven wrong.
Old 11-03-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

D'Antoni shouldn't be whining like he is/was.
Old 11-03-07, 01:01 PM
Banned

suns
Old 11-04-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Lakers/Utah tonight. Here's hoping they'll manage to play the same way they did against Phoenix. Ronny playing against Boozer might be interesting.
Old 11-04-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

God i hate Brian Cook. Seriously. Worthless.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.