Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

The LA Lakers Thread: 2007-2008

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The LA Lakers Thread: 2007-2008

Old 04-19-08, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Bynum out for the 1st Round (from LA Times)...

Jackson says his young center will not play against Denver, but the defensive-minded small forward has not been ruled out for the first round of playoffs.

As the Lakers wrapped up their final practice before Sunday's first-round playoff game against the Denver Nuggets, Andrew Bynum and Trevor Ariza sat together on a large medicine ball.

Sunday and throughout the first round, the injured pair figure to be sharing a spot on the bench.

The odds of Bynum returning for the series from his knee injury were already small and Lakers Coach Phil Jackson ruled him out.

"I'd say it's fair to say that," Jackson said today.

As for Ariza, Jackson did not say the defensive-minded small forward was definitely out, but his chances of returning from a foot injury to face the Nuggets are slim.

"I'm not ruling out Trevor," Jackson said, later adding: "He's going to have to do some things, but this is a pretty long series and we have some games in between."
Old 04-20-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Kenyon Martin guarding Kobe
Old 04-20-08, 02:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D.U.I Chants coming from the Staples crowd
Old 04-20-08, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

Received 315 Likes on 218 Posts
Iverson is pathetic drawing the double-T and basically giving up.
Old 04-20-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That was awesome! Sadly I feel asleep after the 1st half because I have some major sun poisoning going on - watched it off and on while falling asleep on the couch. I'd hear a "WOO!" every couple minutes and perk up, then doze off again. Fucking sunburn.

That pass off his face though - priceless!
Old 04-20-08, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
A Kobe Bryant "Choose Your Own Adventure"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3352959

I lost to the Suns in the WCF
Dammit! I lost in game 2.
Old 04-20-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieMaster11
lol, that was cold.
Old 04-20-08, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMaster11
That just goes to show you the lack of class of many at the Staples center.

A person makes a stupid mistake and apologizes for it. It's one thing to boo someone because you don't like them or something they have done, but to chant DUI is pathetic.

I'm not sure if the Denver crowd chanted 'rapist' during the Kobe trial, but if they did, they would also be in the same 'pathetic' class.

Chris
Old 04-20-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

DUI chants don't bother me. I thought it was funny. Anything to possibly shake up a guy on the other team. I just disagree with chants or cheering when a guy gets hurt.

As far as the actual game goes, very happy to see Gasol come out strong and get his first playoff win. Hopefully the win relaxes everyone and it looks like it should be a smooth first round if this first game was any indication. It's weird, I know Kobe struggled, but it didn't feel like he took too many shots or forced a lot of plays. His shots just weren't going in.

Not sure what AI was so pissed about at the end there. Just frustration from losing I guess.

Last edited by fumanstan; 04-20-08 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-20-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I guess I'm classless, I was chanting DUI with the rest of the crowd today. Great game, Gasol is incredible, his passing is some of the best I've ever seen from a big man
Old 04-20-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 721 Likes on 514 Posts
So, chanting DUI is ok, but chanting rapist isn't?
Old 04-20-08, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by PJsig08
I guess I'm classless, I was chanting DUI with the rest of the crowd today. Great game, Gasol is incredible, his passing is some of the best I've ever seen from a big man
I was pretty sure some people from here went to the game, so I took a chance with my comments.

Chris
Old 04-20-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Deftones = the Lakers thread Resident troll.
Old 04-20-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Deftones
So, chanting DUI is ok, but chanting rapist isn't?
Who are you replying to? I didn't see any post complaining about chanting rapist.
Old 04-20-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Who are you replying to? I didn't see any post complaining about chanting rapist.

He is just trolling. I figure he is still butthurt about the suns game 1 loss.
Old 04-20-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm not replying to anyone, specifically. Not sure why you are confused. Fans yelled at Kobe, chanting rapist soon after that event. I'm just trying to understand why it's seemingly ok to chant DUI as some laker fans here did but not rapist like Kobe haters did.
Old 04-20-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by damn_skippy
He is just trolling. I figure he is still butthurt about the suns game 1 loss.

Not a troll at all. It's more to point out the inherent walking contradiction that mostLaker fans are. Get upset when people call Kobe a rapist, calling it classless, but it's ok to chant DUI.
Old 04-20-08, 09:45 PM
Premium Member

Not a troll at all. It's more to point out the inherent walking contradiction that mostLaker fans are. Get upset when people call Kobe a rapist, calling it classless, but it's ok to chant DUI.
You are mixing a few with the bunch.

I'm fine with both as do some others.

Some think both are bad.

Haven't seen anyone so far that said the DUI chant was ok but the rapist chant was not. Feel free to point out the hypocrytical ones and we can laugh at them together.
Old 04-20-08, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm not replying to anyone, specifically. Not sure why you are confused. Fans yelled at Kobe, chanting rapist soon after that event. I'm just trying to understand why it's seemingly ok to chant DUI as some laker fans here did but not rapist like Kobe haters did.
Unless you find someone that chanted DUI but whined about calls of rapist during a game, your point doesn't really make sense at all. Sounds like you're equating:

Some Laker fans chanted DUI at Carmelo.
Some Laker fans feel chanting rapist at Kobe was wrong.
Therefore all Laker fans are hypocritical.

Not sure how you're asking the Laker collective why it's OK when obviously people have a differing opinion on etiquette.

That and its obvious that fans support their own guy. I'm sure there are Denver fans that called Kobe a rapist and will whine about the DUI chant. Or there will be Suns fans who cheered on Raja Bell clotheslining Kobe and then complaining about Nash getting checked into the scoreboard table. Fans are homers everywhere. Just like a Spurs fan complaining about flopping.

Last edited by fumanstan; 04-20-08 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-20-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Again, I never equated one specific post from someone here that says that specifically. But, when the Kobe rape thing came out, there were several people here that were very vocal about when fans chanted "rapist" at games. Almost to the point of being incensed. So, it's somewhat ironic when at least one person, that I recall, is now chanting DUI for Martin at today's game. It's just as classless and amusingly ironic. Simply pointing out that fact. Not so sure why that is so hard to understand. Oh wait, I know why.

Last edited by Deftones; 04-20-08 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-20-08, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Again, I never equated one specific post from someone here that says that specifically. But, when the Kobe rape thing came out, there were several people here that were very vocal about when fans chanted "rapist" at games. Almost to the point of being incensed. So, it's somewhat ironic when at least one person, that I recall, is now chanting DUI for Martin at today's game. It's just as classless and amusingly ironic. Simply pointing out that fact. Not so sure why that is so hard to understand. Oh wait, I know why.
Glad you deleted your other post with something that actually made sense. If you wanted to point out someone in particular, might as well call out the person you're referring to instead of being a pussy about it. I guess PJsig08?

Nice jab at the end there though. If the Suns lose again this year, I can't wait to hear the excuses again like the last 3 years.
Old 04-20-08, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

dont feed the troll guys.
Old 04-20-08, 11:22 PM
Premium Member

Like I said, call him out, that's all it takes and that's how it should go.

DS: He's not a troll, he does actually follow the NBA, you know that. He's a Suns fan in this take. Just like Keborous is with DET.

Last edited by The Cow; 04-20-08 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-20-08, 11:45 PM
Banned

When the Suns lose again this year, I can't wait to hear the excuses again like the last 3 years.
Fixed it for you.
Old 04-21-08, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 186 Likes on 134 Posts
It was Anthony, not Martin.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.