Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

The LA Lakers Thread: 2007-2008

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The LA Lakers Thread: 2007-2008

Old 10-19-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Article from the Dallas Morning News detailing possible trades for Kobe with Dallas:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...r.22f9406.html

SCENARIO 1
Mavs send Lakers send
Josh Howard Kobe Bryant
Devin Harris Vlad Radmanovic
Erick Dampier
Moe Ager
Mavs include first-round draft picks in 2008 and 2010 and cash
SCENARIO 2
Mavs send Lakers send
Josh Howard Kobe Bryant
Devin Harris Brian Cook
Erick Dampier Sasha Vujacic
Moe Ager
SCENARIO 3
Mavs send Lakers send
Jason Terry Kobe Bryant
Josh Howard
DeSagana Diop
Moe Ager

Personally, I think I like deal 3 the best, although 1 isn't too bad as the Mavs are going to have a terrible first round pick in 08 as it is.
Old 10-19-07, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Dirk No Deal.
Old 10-19-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No Dirk at all. I do not want Dirk.

Only trade I see realistic is Luol Deng and Kirk Henrich
Old 10-19-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Scenario 1 seems better to me for the Lakers I like Devin Harris better then Jason Terry. But if it were up to me, I wouldn't do any deal unless Dirk was coming either.
Old 10-19-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While I hate Kobe, I can't see how a Kobe-Dirk pairing doesn't guarantee the Mavs a championship.

Devin Harris has more upside than Terry, but he's less consistant.
Old 10-19-07, 01:42 PM

The Lakers will not make a deal unless they get a SUPER-star in return. They will not take trash. Compared to Kobe - 95% of the league is trash. Which is why Dr Buss made the comments he did. He was telling the GM's of the league to get real.

The Lakers will need someone to bring in the paying customers. How many tickets will Devin Harris sell? None. This is why I don't think Kobe will be traded. No one will give their franchise to him - like the Lakers did.

Hopefully, The Lakers start the season by winning. Winning cures everything.
Old 10-19-07, 03:52 PM

And I doubt that the Lakers will trade Kobe to a Western Conference team.

Chris
Old 10-22-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.esquire.com/features/the-game/kobebryant1107

Fantastic Kobe article.
Old 10-25-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I compared the Lakers to the good people of Dunder Mifflin
http://theskinnypost.blogspot.com/20...wn-sitcom.html
Old 10-28-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Amidst the daily trade discussions swirling around Kobe Bryant and the Lakers this preseason, coach Phil Jackson is upset at his star player's level of commitment.

"Obviously he hasn't thrown his heart and soul into performing on the floor," Jackson told reporters after practice Saturday. "That hurts me a little bit. He was going to work at this thing and [would] put his full being into this. Right now, he's having a hard time doing that."

Clearly Bryant disagreed with his coach's assessment.

"That [should be] the least of his concerns or anybody's concerns," Bryant said. "You don't have to worry about that. I'm ready to play. Period. You don't have to worry about me."

Sources have told ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan that the Lakers and Chicago Bulls have been having daily discussions about Bryant trade possibilities for at least the past week, with Bryant's no-trade clause throwing a unique wrench into the situation, according to sources.

The Lakers are asking for a package built around Luol Deng, Ben Gordon, Tyrus Thomas and Joakim Noah, which is more than Chicago is willing to surrender. Also, Bryant would not want to play in Chicago if the Bulls surrendered all four of those players, believing there would not be enough talent left to compete for a championship, and he would veto that trade even if the Bulls and Lakers were both in favor of it.

Jackson also spoke to reporters about how the Lakers, as a team, were dealing with the saga around their superstar player.

"I think they are a little bit confused," Jackson said. "I think they are enjoying their time together right now But I think there's a certain sense of how does this all fit all together, which is natural because they haven't seen a situation like this before."

The Lakers open their season at home on Tuesday against the Houston Rockets.

In May, Bryant was critical of the Lakers' front office for failing to build a championship contender and asked for a trade during an interview with ESPN Radio. He initially seemed to back off that in a different interview later that day.

Bryant then avoided speaking about the Lakers until the beginning of training camp Oct. 1, when he talked more positively, saying he was looking forward to the season.

Lakers owner Jerry Buss told reporters during training camp in Hawaii that he has explored the feasibility of satisfying Bryant's trade wish and will continue to do so.

Bryant has four years, worth $88.6 million, left on his contract, but can terminate the deal in two years, leaving $47.8 million on the table.
Old 10-28-07, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts
I wish Kobe would just play ball, and not talk about trades and such. But then again, he needs help, and the Lakers aren't getting it for him.

That article made me want to smack his wife. She seems really bossy.
Old 10-28-07, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
I met Brian Shaw last night he was with his family and did not want to talk. But i shook his hand and thanked him for being a laker.

Oh yeah fuck kobe.
Old 10-29-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Mark Stein's chat on ESPN had some fun notes about Kobe and a potential Wizards trade:

Phil (Nations Capital): How real is the rumor that the Wiz are going to trade for Kobe?

SportsNation Marc Stein: Real enough that I wouldn't call it a rumor. Washington's interest, I'm told, is definitely genuine. What we don't know yet is whether Kobe would be amenable to Washington or exactly how much the Wiz would be willing to part with. But the Lakers would be hard-pressed to do better than a package that features Gilbert Arenas and (if they're lucky) Andray Blatche . . . as long as Gil were willing to agree to a contract extension with his hometown Lakers as opposed to opting out at season's end.

SportsNation Marc Stein: I am no way saying that this is imminent. But our man Sam Smith reported in today's Chicago Tribune that there's a growing buzz about the Wiz getting involved in the Kobe Sweepstakes and I've since heard that there's legit smoke here. We'll have to see what Kobe thinks of sharing a city with the president, since he wields more power than anyone in the NBA with the league's only active no-trade clause.

Quote:
Cory (Champaign IL): If Kobe isn't in a situation he likes, can you see him not giving his all?

SportsNation Marc Stein: That is what Phil Jackson hinted at over the weekend, but I struggle to believe it. Once the games start, I can't imagine Kobe floating. That said, unless Kobe makes things difficult for the Lakers, they might not trade him. Their apparent preference is to wait until after the season to deal with trading him. So Kobe has to apply more pressure if he wants out immediately. I'm on my way to Los Angeles for the Lakers' opener against the Rockets to take a first-hand look.

Quote:
Patrick (Chicago, IL): U think theres any way the bulls can get kobe without giving up Deng?

SportsNation Marc Stein: Not if someone like Arenas is on the table and Kobe decides he's willing to go to Washington.

Quote:
Andy (Milwaukee, WI): If Kobe were to go to D.C., how would a trio of Bryant, Butler, and Jamison be any different from the trio of Bryant, Butler, and Odom that Kobe started out with after Shaq left?

SportsNation Marc Stein: It would be a trio in the East, for starters. Which makes a huge difference. Plus teams are going smaller and smaller now -- smaller than they were three years ago -- so Butler and Jamison are big enough to work with. The Lakers might not be having so much friction with No. 24 if they had held onto Butler. I have to admit that I thought it was the right move at the time to gamble on Kwame, but Butler proved me (and the Lakers, more importantly) way wrong. Butler, Odom and Kobe would be a decent core now with the way Caron has developed.

Quote:
Oliver (NY): Isn't the Wiz-LA deal is the only deal that makes sense for everyone ? LA gets an All-Star that can fill seats in Agent 0 and a young developing forward in Blatche to go with Bynum. The Wiz upgrade and become contenders (doubling Kobe now becomes almost impossible without paying for it, and Jamison is much healthier than Odom) and Kobe has a chance to build a legacy. Please explain to me (asides from Kobe saying no, which would be a mistake, and Arenas re-signing, which he would) why this trade doesn't happen?

SportsNation Marc Stein: if Kobe doesn't want to go to Washington, it won't happen. And if other teams think that the Lakers are closing in on Arenas, perhaps they improve their offers and give the Lakers more to think about.
Personally, I think Arenas is the best attainable player the Lakers could get for Kobe. If he has to go, I wouldn't mind
Old 10-30-07, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Game Day!
Old 10-30-07, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll be there tonight
Old 10-30-07, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Kobe aggressive early So much for him dogging it.
Old 10-30-07, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now he's being too aggressive. Lakers were up by 13 now down by 2. Kobe driving to the lane, getting hacked, no call and he sits and whines while the Rockets go 5 on 4. Scratch that, Kwame doesn't count, so 5 on 3.
Old 10-30-07, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Except there's a reason why Phil puts Kwame in there when Yao is in the game. Kwame's defense is pretty good.
Old 10-30-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
The Fisher 3 was at a good time. Off to bed. These late games suck for those of us not in CA.
Old 10-30-07, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wanna like Kwame, he's just....bad.
Old 10-30-07, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anybody selling rebounds in the LA area? Contact the Lakers.
Old 10-30-07, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Minnesota had some for sale
Old 10-31-07, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How soon before Kobe starts blaming his teammates? Then again, he is passing, they just aren't making shots. Fisher looked good, though. Good to have him back.

Maybe the Lakers will start out crappy and finish strong.
Old 10-31-07, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Can't believe the number of free throws that Kobe is missing too. That wrist seems to be really bothering him.
Old 10-31-07, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess that's it. Not too surprising, since the Rockets are a better team and should win this. Still, it's tough to see Lakers offense always stall and turn into Kobe driving, getting fouled or losing the ball, and then whining about it.

Only bright side was Fish tonight.

EDIT: A 10-0 run Well I guess it wasn't quite over.

Last edited by fumanstan; 10-31-07 at 12:33 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.