The LA Lakers Thread: 2007-2008

Old 02-26-08, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
This is a little more like the Lakers.
Old 02-26-08, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts
Wow, Scorcho you were right on the money. The Blazers looked great for two and then sputtered. Looks like they have no energy left.
Old 02-26-08, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like Outlaw, though. He's fun to watch. This team is gonna be scary with Oden next year.
Old 02-26-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

confetti falling
Old 02-26-08, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Wow, Scorcho you were right on the money. The Blazers looked great for two and then sputtered. Looks like they have no energy left.
Portland hasn't been able to play a complete 48 minutes since early January.

They'll either jump out big and slowly dwindle the lead or they'll get behind big early on and try to crawl out of the hole.

It's still really tough to get pissed at this team. They're mostly 23-24 years old. Lots of learning to do. So much promise though.
Old 02-27-08, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just read through and gotta give my man Scorcho credit...the Lakers looked like shit the whole way and he still said the Blazers had no chance. Then again Roy was out.

I always liked Aldridge, he is just a solid ass player that is only gonna get better. The Blazers are definitely the team to beat for many years.
Old 02-27-08, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah with Roy in this game goes to the Blazers easily. The Lakers played like shit for 36 minutes, though.
Old 02-27-08, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PJsig08
Just read through and gotta give my man Scorcho credit...the Lakers looked like shit the whole way and he still said the Blazers had no chance. Then again Roy was out.

I always liked Aldridge, he is just a solid ass player that is only gonna get better. The Blazers are definitely the team to beat for many years.
It was pretty easy to predict -- I wasn't just being one of those negative fans that says "aww no way they'll win this". When you have a jumpshooting team with no leader and no point guard that deserves more than 10 min of playing time a game, you're gonna eventually fall to the good teams. Sure, you'll be able to land a few really hard punches at some point in the game but you can't stand toe to toe for 12 rounds with good teams.

Aldridge played really well tonight. One of his first games in a while he showed some real toughness and aggressiveness in regards to going to the hoop. Very impressed by some of his post-up play. He went 7-14 and had a few rattle out.

Interesting stat of the game: Neither team missed a free throw (17-17 for Portland, 9-9 for LA)

In the end, though, the Lakers have too many weapons for Portland to go up against right now. Not without 2 of our most important weapons.

(See, I can get along with you Laker circle-jerkers so long as you keep your opinions reasonable! Then again, with Kerborus in the NBA threads the last couple years, he makes you guys look totally sane. )
Old 02-27-08, 12:44 AM

Kobe missed a free throw. I believe that was the only one of the game.
Old 02-27-08, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah the box score wasn't updated on ESPN even though the score was. It still had 17-17 and 9-9. I see now it was 21-23 and 15-17.
Old 02-27-08, 01:10 AM

I still think Gasol is better than Rasheed but no reason to start that crap again

OK so it's time to gloat a little bit...at the beginning of this season I picked us as a 40-win team, maybe 45 tops. We are now 40-17 and baring any horrible setbacks are in prime shape to be a number 1-3 seed in the playoffs. Truly remarkable. I mean seriously no sane Laker fan ever thought we would be at this record at the end of February.

With 25 games left, a lot of them at home and against sub .500 teams, I see us a 55-58 win team. I can't believe I just typed that.
Old 02-27-08, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well to be honest, getting a 7 footer for pennies on the dollar that can drop 20 ppg and fit into the triangle seamlessly kind of helped.
Old 02-27-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I know the season isn't over yet, but as it inches closer towards playoff time and more and more articles come out about the MVP "race," it's hard not to be miffed about all the love Lebron is getting. Here's my Kobe love rant for the week.

2 years ago Kobe had the crazy scoring year, averaging 35 points a game, the streak of 40 point games in a row, the 81 point game. Probably one of the best offensive stat lines for the year since Jordan's early years in the league. The Lakers made the playoffs as the 7th seed, 8 games over .500 despite expectations they wouldn't make it at all. The knock on Kobe's MVP candidacy was that he couldn't be rewarded because his team was mediocre. Laker fans cried, definitions of what constitutes an MVP was discussed, and pretty much most people said that individual performances mean nothing when your team sucks. Kobe finishes 4th in MVP voting despite having the 2nd most 1st place votes and is even left off a ballot entirely. Nash won, but hey, great player and his team had a great record. OK, fine!

Flash forward to this year. Lebron's team is 7 games over .500 in a weak Eastern Conference. He has an amazing personal stat line, and looks like he'll win the scoring title at 30 ppg, not to mention 7 rebounds and 7 boards a game which i don't think anyone's done since Oscar Robertson. Despite making it to the NBA Finals last year, for some reason this year his teammates suck, his GM sucks, and he all but cries for moves to be made. Because of a weak East, his team will probably be the 3rd or 4th seed. Hollinger actually predicts a 45 win season for the Cavs, but that seems low. Let's say they win 48-50 games.

Given that possibility and all the reasoning for why Kobe shouldn't have even sniffed an MVP 2 years ago, how is Lebron James the MVP this year? Great stat line, mediocre team right? Ridiculous. I know the media loves Lebron and still shuns Kobe because of the Laker breakup, but it sure does seem hypocritical.

Oh well. Hopefully it shakes out different and Kobe gets his MVP
Old 02-27-08, 02:27 PM

I agree Stan. If Kobe doesn't win this year - something's up. Especially if the Lakers win 55-58 games.

Even Lebron said "What chance do I have if Kobe's never won it"
Old 02-27-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 462 Likes on 328 Posts
And to think some (if not most) of you wanted to get rid of Sasha while I was his only supporter.
Old 02-27-08, 03:08 PM

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...3321616.column

Bill Plaschke:

Kobe has more than chants to be MVP

Lakers' Bryant has never won the NBA's most valuable player award, but he's never been more deserving of it than he is this season.

February 27, 2008

The chant has always been there.

The truth behind it has not.

During the first few years, it was a high-pitched dream.

During the last few years, it was a hollow honorarium.

Finally, this season, for the first time, it is a reality.

"M-V-P! M-V-P! M-V-P!"

Kobe Bryant can win it. Kobe Bryant should win it.

The chant that began just four minutes into the Lakers' 96-83 victory over Portland on Tuesday night should finally become a part of Bryant's resume.

It won't be the top line. But it will be the only one that is in bold.

Because this is the one title Bryant could never win.

The wording was never right. The tone never fit.

He has often been the most.

But has he ever been valuable?

He's been a great scorer for lousy teams. He's been a brilliant entertainer in a band of dullards.

"He's been the best player in the league," said assistant coach Brian Shaw.

But the basketball writers, voting at the end of the regular season, never give it to the best player. They give it to the player who is best at making the players around him better.

How else to explain that, for consecutive seasons, the MVP of the high-flying league was Steve Nash?

How else to explain that Shaquille O'Neal is headed to the Hall of Fame, but he will do so with only one MVP award?

"The real value of a super player is that he makes other players better," said Lakers Coach Phil Jackson.

The award is so special because it is not about numbers, it is not about records, it is almost always about leadership.

And, yes, in a season that began with Bryant's threatening to abandon his team, while booing fans threatened to abandon him, he should win it.

Crazy, huh?

It's about as crazy as Bryant driving to the basket against two Portland defenders Tuesday, stopping suddenly, then flicking the ball to Ronny Turiaf, who scored and was fouled.

What looked like a potential Bryant turnover became a three-point play, and Staples Center shook with appreciation.

And this happened twice.

"When Kobe gets everyone involved like he's done this year, we're nearly impossible to beat," said Jordan Farmar.

It's about as crazy as another sequence in the second quarter of Tuesday's game in which basketball's most focused player showed a different vision.

Bryant threw a pass to Farmar, who drained a three-pointer, after which Bryant pointed to him in congratulations.

On the Lakers' next possession, same pass, same shot, only this time Farmer missed, and what did Bryant do?

He pointed to Farmar in consolation.

He doesn't scream at his teammates so much anymore. He doesn't ignore them during moments of frustration anymore.

He has helped turn Sasha Vujacic into a weapon, and Farmar into a pest, and, man, considering he once wanted the guy traded, he has been huge in the development of Andrew Bynum.

"You can see the emphasis in Kobe's game to get other people involved and to make the rest of his teammates better," Jackson said.

Crazy, huh?

As crazy as me even writing these words.

During Bryant's summer of insolence, I wrote that the Lakers should give him his wish and trade him.

I wrote that he had lost all appreciation for the fans who loved him so much.

I wrote that, finally, he just wasn't worth the trouble.

Eight months later, he still has not officially rescinded his trade demand, which would be nice.

But he's done everything else to show that last summer was about blowing off steam, not a team.

He has showed that if the Lakers surrounded him with better players, he would be a better leader.

And he showed it from the first day of training camp, when Jackson gathered his players into a circle and ordered them to stand up, say their name, and give some information about themselves.

"I'm Kobe Bryant, and I want to win a championship," Bryant reportedly said.

Then he sat down.

"From day one, he made it clear to the rest of us what he was all about," Farmar said. "We've just followed him."

They followed him to a great start with the emergence of Bynum. They followed him to a great recovery with the acquisition of Pau Gasol.

They are following him now even though he's playing with a torn ligament in his pinkie finger that aches with every dribble and every slap.

They're following him, but, for once, they're not trailing behind him.

They're following alongside him, as he directs them on defense, finds them open on offense, energizes them, embraces them.

"This is the most valuable Kobe has ever been to his team and to the Lakers," Shaw said.

He's been more valuable than LeBron James, who has better numbers but also a Cleveland Cavaliers supporting cast that last season advanced to the NBA Finals.

Bryant's group is mostly guys who have never been past the first round.

He's also been more valuable than Kevin Garnett, whose Boston Celtics have often played, and won, without him.

Bryant has been physically ill, painfully wounded and has not yet missed a game.

The chants are more frequent now. They come after great passes. They come after nifty steals. They come not only in Staples Center, but in arenas around the league, the NBA embracing the celebrated loner as the epitome of teamwork.

Crazy, huh?

MVP crazy.

Bill Plaschke can be reached at [email protected]
Chris
Old 02-27-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,174 Likes on 912 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
And to think some (if not most) of you wanted to get rid of Sasha while I was his only supporter.
Most also wanted to get rid of Kwame, but he turned out more useful than anyone imagined!
Old 02-27-08, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I ate crow on that one, especially with my friends since I hated on Sasha as often as I could. I still think his shot selection sucks half the time though (luckily he's making them). Too often he seems to think he has to shoot it everytime the ball touches his hands. Watching him pull up for jumpers on fast breaks once or twice a game is annoying.
Old 02-27-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 462 Likes on 328 Posts
Hey, would you rather have Penberthy still doing that?

Old 02-27-08, 09:04 PM

I should eat crow also...I wanted Sasha out of here more than once. Now when he takes 3's off penetration from Kobe or whoever, I actually think the ball is going in. It's great to see his confidence sky-high.

Well to be honest, getting a 7 footer for pennies on the dollar that can drop 20 ppg and fit into the triangle seamlessly kind of helped.
Obviously...

And Kobe should win the MVP this year...unless they tank from here on out I think he wins it.
Old 02-28-08, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Let's hope the Lakers get by the Heat easily tonight. They seem to sometimes play at a relaxed pace when the bad teams are in town.
Old 02-28-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Let's hope the Lakers get by the Heat easily tonight. They seem to sometimes play at a relaxed pace when the bad teams are in town.
That's been the case for years and years, but this year they've been pretty good about not playing down to bad teams. They've actually been blowing out the bad ones, which is pretty nice to see.
Old 02-28-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is it supposed to be on TNT? The Mavs-Spurs game is still going on. All we need is OT there taking away my Lakers fix.
Old 02-28-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, thanks to Bowen for blocking that shot. No OT
Old 02-28-08, 09:47 PM

Is it supposed to be on TNT? The Mavs-Spurs game is still going on. All we need is OT there taking away my Lakers fix.
It should be on in 2 minutes, 2 minutes remaining!

Chris

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.