Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

The LA Lakers Thread: 2007-2008

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The LA Lakers Thread: 2007-2008

Old 10-11-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Lakers owner Jerry Buss acknowledged considering offers for Kobe Bryant over the summer -- none of them deemed remotely good enough to act upon -- and also conceded that the gaping hole in Bryant's contract could make the nine-time All-Star an ex-Laker by 2009. Buss also said Bryant was not necessarily off the table now that the new season had started. Offers will inevitably continue to trickle in, particularly if the Lakers struggle before the February trade deadline.
Old 10-11-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveWadding
I didnt think they'd let teams who win 20 games into the playoffs.
Huh? That would be funny if the Lakers were even remotely close to being only a 20 game winner. As it stands, they're looking at another 40-45 wins easily.
Old 10-11-07, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDaddy
Lakers owner Jerry Buss acknowledged considering offers for Kobe Bryant over the summer -- none of them deemed remotely good enough to act upon -- and also conceded that the gaping hole in Bryant's contract could make the nine-time All-Star an ex-Laker by 2009. Buss also said Bryant was not necessarily off the table now that the new season had started. Offers will inevitably continue to trickle in, particularly if the Lakers struggle before the February trade deadline.

It's his way of telling everyone that he's still the boss. The way it should be!
Old 10-11-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
There's nothing really much to say. You have a mediocre team in the Lakers that has reached its apex and will not make it out of the first round (if they make the playoffs).

Then you have a team like the Blazers who looks to be a dominant force in about 2-3 years with a huge collection of talent both onshore and offshore.

I'm just being patient!
Not if Oden turns out to be Chris Webber of recent years.
Old 10-11-07, 08:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PJsig08
Not if Oden turns out to be Chris Webber of recent years.
Or better yet, another Sam Bowie.
Old 10-13-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
There are well-founded rumblings that Kobe Bryant has his sights on Chicago or Dallas. So, would a package revolving around Luol Deng, Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich, Tyrus Thomas and/or Andres Nocioni work? Could the Mavericks put together a workable deal around Josh Howard? How about Phoenix (Amare Stoudemire or Shawn Marion)?

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nba
Old 10-16-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So the big rumor right now is that AM570 radio here in So Cal said that Kobe has already cleaned out his locker.

I don't really believe it, as the rumor mill here comes up with some pretty stupid stuff... but hey, Kobe's missed the last 2 practices already
Old 10-16-07, 04:33 PM

This rumor mill you speak of - it's a killer on the nerves. Is it like this because we are in the biggest media driven city in the world? Why is everything always so blown out of proportion here?

I'm torn 50/50 on if I want Kobe traded. On one hand he's the best basketball player in the league but he can't seem to do everything himself. He can't be the leader he needs to be. If we get a few key players and have Lamar be the leader - I see the Lakers doing well. I just hope we get at least two starters for him. He is worth that.
Old 10-16-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 320 Posts
You clear out Kupchak and I'll start to get excited.
Old 10-16-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And the rumor came and went as Kobe denied it. This whole Kobe trade thing is fun.
Old 10-16-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,091 Likes on 851 Posts
Originally Posted by jmanlakerfan
This rumor mill you speak of - it's a killer on the nerves. Is it like this because we are in the biggest media driven city in the world? Why is everything always so blown out of proportion here?

I'm torn 50/50 on if I want Kobe traded. On one hand he's the best basketball player in the league but he can't seem to do everything himself. He can't be the leader he needs to be. If we get a few key players and have Lamar be the leader - I see the Lakers doing well. I just hope we get at least two starters for him. He is worth that.
If the Lakers trade Kobe, they're going to get jack and some draft picks.

The Garnett trade was a bit of an aberration because Boston already had two all-stars and didn't mind giving up their young talent for a chance to win now.

In this situation, i don't see many teams that could give up around equal talent for Kobe and still be a contender that Kobe would want to stick around for.
Old 10-17-07, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
I have a feeling if they do deal Kobe, the trade will make the Shaq deal look good.
Old 10-17-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If we get a few key players and have Lamar be the leader - I see the Lakers doing well.
As a huge Laker fan, the first thing that came to mind when I saw this was: You've gotta be fucking joking.

Lamar is nowhere near "leader" material.
Old 10-17-07, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by jdodd
As a huge Laker fan, the first thing that came to mind when I saw this was: You've gotta be fucking joking.

Lamar is nowhere near "leader" material.
When has he had the chance as a Laker? In Miami for that one season - we was a leader (This was before Wade was putting up the numbers). His game is perfect for the leader role. He has been too passive - but that is because he wants to defer to Kobe.

Give the man a chance. I'm tired of all the hate and pessimism.
Old 10-17-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Odom's been passive since his Clipper days. I remember reading an article in the OC Register or LA Times a year ago that debated the notion that Odom disappears some games because of Kobe, and pretty much outlined it both as a Clipper and Heat. I wish i could find it again.

Keep in mind, Miami in the playoffs ended up being Dwayne Wade's showcase where he became a star; not so much for Lamar.

Edit: Not that I think poorly of him; I just can't see him being the first banana on the Lakers with success.
Old 10-17-07, 12:38 PM

Phil really loves him and his game. If Phil can get this leadership mentality out of him I think it would do wonders for him and his all star status. I'm not 100% sure that he can be a leader - but I think he's made to be one. I just would like to see what happens when he's given the chance by a coach that knows a thing or two about it.

I don't think he and Kobe can co-exist. They don't mesh well on the court. I can probably count on one hand how many times they have run a successful play together.
Old 10-17-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
You clear out Kupchak and I'll start to get excited.
hell yeah!

the Post-Shaq Lakers remind me a lot of the 90's Lakers... trade Kobe and they're the LakeShow all over again.

The "no comment" I heard from Phil on the news last night didn't sound good.
Old 10-17-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JCJF10
hell yeah!

the Post-Shaq Lakers remind me a lot of the 90's Lakers... trade Kobe and they're the LakeShow all over again.

The "no comment" I heard from Phil on the news last night didn't sound good.
And unlike the Lake Show, I don't really find anyone around to be excited for. It was fun watching Van Exel and Eddie Jones... these guys, I don't know
Old 10-17-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 320 Posts
Phil really loves him and his game. If Phil can get this leadership mentality out of him I think it would do wonders for him and his all star status.
Phil can't even get the guy to have a killer instinct. As a Clipper, you didn't give the ball to Lamar to finish strong to the basket.. you gave it to the rookie Darius Miles and Q.
Old 10-17-07, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
And unlike the Lake Show, I don't really find anyone around to be excited for. It was fun watching Van Exel and Eddie Jones... these guys, I don't know
Eddie Jones was the shit but I'll take a pass on Nick (cancun) VanExel.
Old 10-17-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
In this situation, i don't see many teams that could give up around equal talent for Kobe and still be a contender that Kobe would want to stick around for.
Chicago is clearly the best choice.
Old 10-17-07, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Chicago is clearly the best choice.
They don't seem to be willing to give up Deng or Hinrich though. That would only be the fair deal.

You know what I'd like to see. It would have loads of variables but I would like to see a three team trade with Washington as one of the teams. I want Arenas. Maybe with a young player and draft pick. I don't know how - but I'd see how that would work.
Old 10-18-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

There's a great read about this whole Kobe/Buss/Phil/Shitty Team situation on ESPN's True Hoop from Roland Lazenby, who's written a lot of Laker books and articles so he has a good idea of what he's talking about.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/...aker-Land.html
Old 10-18-07, 04:39 PM

I was just about to post that same thing
Old 10-19-07, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Kobe plays, Kobe looks awesome, Lakers win. Just against the Sonics, but it was nice to see Kobe on board and Bynum playing well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.