Reload this Page >

The LA Lakers Thread: 2007-2008

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The LA Lakers Thread: 2007-2008

Old 02-01-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 801 Likes on 564 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
That's absolutely retarded. Going by that reasoning, I assume you're not expecting much from the Celtics either. Boy, I sure hope the Celtics are going to be competitive this year! They didn't do anything last year, so maybe they'll win a game or two!

Seriously, the Lakers were playing great this year with Bynum healthy and there's absolutely no reason to believe that they would have been solid in the playoffs. Even if you only judge playoff performances, the Lakers were "competitive" against the Suns 2 years ago when they almost bounced them, and the Suns haven't won shit in the playoffs so you're probably expecting them to lose in the WCF.

Come on man, I thought you're initial comment was just sarcasm but you can't be serious if you think the Lakers wouldn't have been competitive at all in the playoffs.
There's no reason to believe they would be solid. Just because you guys were playing well at the time, not even halfway through the season, doesn't mean they will keep it together. I'm certainly not saying they will, but you can't discount that from happening.
Old 02-01-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Bynum got injured in the game against Memphis on January 13th. The Lakers went on to win that game which put them at 25-11, a half game behind the 26-11 Suns. The statement was "We had the best record in the WC when Bynum went down."
That's just nitpicking though, since they won the next game without Bynum, and have been 3-5 since without him. Obviously the main point is that the Lakers were pretty darn good with him and have been a bit lost since he went down.

Last edited by fumanstan; 02-01-08 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-01-08, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Deftones
There's no reason to believe they would be solid. Just because you guys were playing well at the time, not even halfway through the season, doesn't mean they will keep it together. I'm certainly not saying they will, but you can't discount that from happening.
There's no reason to believe they wouldn't be solid. Unlike last year where their schedule was padded with home games, the Lakers had the most difficult strength of schedule through the first couple months of the season and were able to beat a lot of contending teams. There's more reason to think that it would have continued to win 50+ games then to think they would have taken a dive.

Either way, I don't see how anyone not named Charles Barkley would feel that they wouldn't be competitive.
Old 02-01-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deftones is trying to justify things in his own little world. Face it buddy, the Suns are in trouble and many Laker fans have this face today
Old 02-01-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's just nitpicking though, since they won the next game without Bynum, and have been 3-5 since without him. Obviously the main point is that the Lakers were pretty darn good with him and have been a bit lost since he went down.
Well his next statement was "Competitive? Try the best team in the Western Conference. Don't follow much hoops outside of Phoenix, do you?"

25-11 vs 26-11 and they were the best team in the Western Conference? With that kind of hyperbole I think pointing out the fact that they did not actually have the best record when he went down is relevant.
Old 02-01-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think changing it from "competitive" to saying "maybe the Lakers will actually contend this year" would have made more sense to me. :Shrug:
Old 02-01-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk God

There's no reason to believe they wouldn't be solid. Unlike last year where their schedule was padded with home games, the Lakers had the most difficult strength of schedule through the first couple months of the season and were able to beat a lot of contending teams. There's more reason to think that it would have continued to win 50+ games then to think they would have taken a dive.

Either way, I don't see how anyone not named Charles Barkley would feel that they wouldn't be competitive.
Padded with home games? How is that possible when all teams play the same amount of games at home as they do away.
Old 02-01-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 462 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by PJsig08
Deftones is trying to justify things in his own little world.
What's to justify? Having never won the Western Conference Championship in the past 14 years?
Old 02-01-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Wait, I was told not to live in the past.
Old 02-01-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well his next statement was "Competitive? Try the best team in the Western Conference. Don't follow much hoops outside of Phoenix, do you?"

25-11 vs 26-11 and they were the best team in the Western Conference? With that kind of hyperbole I think pointing out the fact that they did not actually have the best record when he went down is relevant.
I don't see how. At that point in time many media outlets had the Lakers in the top 3 or 4, with I think NBA.com ranking them #1 in the league, with 2 wins already coming against the Suns. I wouldn't consider that statement an exaggeration.
Old 02-01-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Padded with home games? How is that possible when all teams play the same amount of games at home as they do away.
I meant during the first half of the season. The Lakers started the season 26-13 last year (they were 27-12 this year) before falling all the way to 42-40. I assumed that was your basis for believing they would be mediocre the remainder of the year.

El Scorcho pointed out a webpage where it actually looked at point differential and such, and the Lakers, despite a great record early on, had a very weak margin of victory compared to similar teams.
Old 02-01-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Yes. Your first sentence is exactly why there's always the potential for them to end up mediocre. Sure, they are a different team, but there's always that chance.
Old 02-01-08, 07:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I was saying the Lakers were the best team in the WC before Bynum went down. What part of that don't you understand man? Check their record. I wasn't saying they are the best team record-wise as of right now, that's obviously not true.

As far as my comments to Deftones about "Don't follow much hoops outside of Phoenix do you?". He said the Gasol trade may actually make the Lakers a competitive team now. The Lakers have been competing all season long and they've been one of the top teams in the NBA this season. How are they not a competitive team? Please, tell me - enlighten me with your superior basketball knowledge.
Old 02-01-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Setzer
I was saying the Lakers were the best team in the WC before Bynum went down. What part of that don't you understand man? Check their record.
My point is I did check their record when Bynum went down, and they were a half-game behind Phoenix. I fail to see how that made them the best team in the conference.

As for the rest, I do think the Lakers are a competitive team this year (certainly much more so than I anticipated) and this Gasol trade makes them better. I don't know that it makes them the best team in the conference but it definitely makes them a factor in the playoffs for the first time since Shaq was dealt.
Old 02-01-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Meanwhile the Lakers beat the Raptors behind Kobe's 46. I actually didn't realize the Raptor's record was that good.

I also post too much in this thread.

Who Posted?
Total Posts: 340
User Name Posts
fumanstan 78
PJsig08 48
nickdawgy 28
mrpayroll 23
jmanlakerfan 19
Setzer 18
devilshalo 18
Deftones 14
Old 02-01-08, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts
I didn't even know about the deal until just now, and I even watched part of the game
Old 02-01-08, 11:32 PM

Meanwhile the Lakers beat the Raptors behind Kobe's 46. I actually didn't realize the Raptor's record was that good.

I also post too much in this thread.

Who Posted?
Total Posts: 340
User Name Posts
fumanstan 78
PJsig08 48
nickdawgy 28
mrpayroll 23
jmanlakerfan 19
Setzer 18
devilshalo 18
Deftones 14
Wow, I guess it just seems that Deftones has every other post!

Chris
Old 02-02-08, 10:44 AM

Here is some more background information that is really interesting.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...wed-storylevel

Lamar Odom was originally discussed in the talks between the Lakers and Memphis, according to an NBA source.

However, Memphis owner Michael Heisley, who has had the team up for sale for years and is projecting a $20-million loss this season, predicated everything on knocking as much money as he could off his payroll in this deal.

With Odom making $13.2 million this season and $14.1 million next, Heisley told his basketball people he didn't want him

The addition of Gasol will give the Lakers the tallest front line the NBA has ever seen. When Andrew Bynum returns, their front line will go 7-0, 7-0 and 6-11.
There's more story if you click the link, but it seems that we should be thanking the Memphis owner for this stealdeal. Giving up Lamar, plus all the rest would have been too much for Gasol, but as it turns out we really didn't lose too much.

Chris
Old 02-02-08, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With Gasol in, the Laker's are gonna be serious title contenders again. Yahoo for that!
Old 02-02-08, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mikelowry
With Gasol in, the Laker's are gonna be serious title contenders again. Yahoo for that!

They are still at best the 4th best team in their own conference.
Old 02-02-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk God

best team on paper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-08, 09:51 PM

best team on paper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, that was the Shaq, Kobe, Payton & Malone team!

Chris
Old 02-02-08, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Quake1028

They are still at best the 4th best team in their own conference.
Hah, that's a good one. Please share more of your wisdom with us
Old 02-02-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PJsig08
Hah, that's a good one. Please share more of your wisdom with us
They still aren't better than San Antonio, Dallas or Phoenix, and might not be better than Utah or New Orleans. So, 4th is really a compliment to them.

And I can't help but at Lakers fans talking about the recent "lean years".
Old 02-02-08, 10:46 PM

How are we not better than Phoenix? We beat them twice, lost once without Bynum and now have added this guy Gasol you may have heard about.

I'm pretty confident we are a top 2 or 3 team in the West. It hurts you when the Lakers get an all-star for nothing, huh?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.