Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

The LA Lakers Thread: 2007-2008

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The LA Lakers Thread: 2007-2008

Old 01-18-08, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never heard someone booed so badly on their homecourt the second they touched the ball! I mean you can't defend Kwame but you gotta feel bad for the guy, he is absolutely done with the Lakers at this point. I may need therapy to get over the Butler for Kwame trade

Well Mitch definitely does...
Old 01-18-08, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 674 Likes on 483 Posts
Thank you Kwame Brown for being the Suns 6th man tonight.
Old 01-18-08, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by PJsig08
I've never heard someone booed so badly on their homecourt the second they touched the ball! I mean you can't defend Kwame but you gotta feel bad for the guy, he is absolutely done with the Lakers at this point. I may need therapy to get over the Butler for Kwame trade

Well Mitch definitely does...

I was there tonight 7th row. I was part of the collective crowd booing his sorry ass. Kwame needs to go...now.
Old 01-18-08, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by SPiRAL
I was there tonight 7th row. I was part of the collective crowd booing his sorry ass. Kwame needs to go...now.
Listen I understand. Kwame is a bust, total underachiever, makes way too much money and can't finish a dunk 75% of the time.

But what's booing him EVERYTIME HE TOUCHES THE BALL going to do? We have to live with the guy for at least 2 more months at starting center so now that he has 0 confidence, you and the other Laker fans are partially to blame. In the heat of the moment I probably would've booed him too, but looking back now it's gonna hurt us for the next 2 months.

The guy won't be back next year, that looks like an inevitability at this point.

From Kobe: "I thought it was terrible," said Kobe Bryant, who led the Lakers with 30 points and seven rebounds. "If they want to do that, they can stay home. He's going to be our guy here for two months. He's going to do fine, he's going to play well the next game. Kwame's sensitive. You boo him, it's going to affect him. I told him I've got his back."

Last edited by PJsig08; 01-18-08 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-18-08, 12:40 PM

I agree PJ. I was very disappointed in the crowd's reaction. I was shocked by it. No one should ever boo their team no matter how many mistakes they make. That's something New York fan's do - not in LA. I'm with this team through thick and thin.

I was just as upset with Kwame as any Laker fan was last night. There were many factors in why this happened. I think it was inevitable. I saw it coming.

Just think about it - Kwame is still not 100% and just coming back from an injury. He's playing very minimal backup minutes. Bynum (our 20 year old starting center) goes down and everyone (media, the fans, even his own team) pretty much says that we are screwed at that position for the next two months. We know Kwame is a good guy but does have a severe confidence problem already. How else would this go down?

I'm not making excuses for him - but I think everyone needs to understand that Kwame (the player and the person) has never been good at accepting pressure. It is what it is. Laker fans - give him a break.

PS- As far as Kwame being the Suns sixth man - I guess he took Diaw's job as the other teams main contributor. That worthless prick actually had a good game. It had more to do with the Laker's horrible defense then anything else but whatever.

I don't think the Sun's fans should be gloating just yet. They still got beat down twice already from the Lakers and just lost to the Clippers.
Old 01-18-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just don't understand booing your home team/player. Pisses me off whenever it happens.
Old 01-18-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 312 Posts
Tho Kwame probably had his best game as a Laker against the Suns last year during the playoffs. Go figure.
Old 01-18-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,219 Posts
I actually managed to trade Kwame Brown to the Celtics for Tony Allen, Kendrick Perkins and Brian Scalabrine on NBA Live 08... I was shocked the computer accepted that trade.
Old 01-18-08, 02:34 PM

Listen I understand. Kwame is a bust, total underachiever, makes way too much money and can't finish a dunk 75% of the time.

But what's booing him EVERYTIME HE TOUCHES THE BALL going to do? We have to live with the guy for at least 2 more months at starting center so now that he has 0 confidence, you and the other Laker fans are partially to blame. In the heat of the moment I probably would've booed him too, but looking back now it's gonna hurt us for the next 2 months.

The guy won't be back next year, that looks like an inevitability at this point.

From Kobe: "I thought it was terrible," said Kobe Bryant, who led the Lakers with 30 points and seven rebounds. "If they want to do that, they can stay home. He's going to be our guy here for two months. He's going to do fine, he's going to play well the next game. Kwame's sensitive. You boo him, it's going to affect him. I told him I've got his back."
I hear you bro. I booed him for his simple mistakes, but not every time he touched the ball, like a lot of the crowd did. That was too much in my opinion. Most of the crowd let up in the 4th.

Last edited by SPiRAL; 01-18-08 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-18-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SPiRAL
Most of the crowd left in the 4th.
Fixed
Old 01-21-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really hate the fact that, since they're playing Denver, I have to root for this god damn team tonight.
Old 01-22-08, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Didn't realize they signed MBenga.

El Scorcho's wish comes true!
Old 01-22-08, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Like I said, I feel dirty.

But thanks for keeping my team in first.
Old 01-22-08, 02:34 PM

Scorcho and I can get along now, both our teams are riding high. Looks like the rivalry will be in full force next year with Oden and Bynum
Old 01-22-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Scorcho and I can get along now, both our teams are riding high. Looks like the rivalry will be in full force next year with Oden and Bynum
This time around, it won't be as bitter though since your team isn't filled with a bunch of arrogant assholes like it was during the title run and is instead a built-from-the-ground-up likeable team. Even Kobe has become more likeable now that he isn't trying to hoist up 40 shots per game and is instead gunning for more 20-8-8 type lines.
Old 01-22-08, 04:19 PM

Yeah its hard for me to sympathize with people who still criticize Kobe. This year more than ever he is a facilitator and a true leader for the team. Obviously the guys are now knockin down shots, so that plays a part in it too.

He took only 7 shots last night and they lead almost the entire game...I don't remember seeing that in recent memory.
Old 01-25-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts
well the Lakers made it interesting against the Mavs, but they still go down 112-105. Two losses in a row, and 2-3 since Bynum went down.
Old 01-27-08, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lakers dropped another to the the Cavs, third stright loss overall.
Old 01-27-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,219 Posts
They are sorely missing Bynum's 15-20 points per game and his solid rebounding and defense. If they keep this up, they will start sinking fast in the Western Conference like last season.
Old 01-30-08, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Lakers win tonight but give a bad Knicks offense 100+ points and lose Luke to injury.
Old 01-30-08, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Luke started playing before he was fully healed. That's why he's been pretty off this year. Sucks that he got injured again.
Old 01-30-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, Luke definitely hasn't looked right all year. He just hasn't been moving very well. Usually he's been pretty slick, getting in lanes and making great passes. It seemed that last year he also had his little fadeaway from the post down, not to mention hitting 3's. This year he's just been off with everything.

Glad to see the Lakers win one before their long road trip. The game against NY shouldn't have ever been close though. I'm hoping for 4 or 5 wins on this trip.
Old 01-30-08, 02:22 PM

4 or 5 wins? I'm hoping for 3 with our current lineup (missing Bynum, Ariza, probably Walton and Odom is playing hurt too).

NY game was way too close...the NY fans finally shut up in the 4th quarter, I was ready to kill a few of them when the Knicks were in the lead.
Old 01-30-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

4 or 5 wins? I'm hoping for 3 with our current lineup (missing Bynum, Ariza, probably Walton and Odom is playing hurt too).

NY game was way too close...the NY fans finally shut up in the 4th quarter, I was ready to kill a few of them when the Knicks were in the lead.
I don't know; long road trip but mostly winnable games.

@Detroit - Probably a Loss.
@Toronto - Should be close, can go either way.
@Washington - Should be close, can go either way.
@New Jersey - Should be able to win, but might be close.
@Atlanta - Should be able to win.
@Orlando - Probably a Loss.
@Miami - Should be a win.
@Charlotte - Should be a win.
@Minnesota - Should be a win.

Injuries or not, they should be able to beat Atlanta, Miami, Charlotte, and Minnesota.
Old 01-30-08, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't know; long road trip but mostly winnable games.

@Detroit - Probably a Loss.
@Toronto - Should be close, can go either way.
@Washington - Should be close, can go either way.
@New Jersey - Should be able to win, but might be close.
@Atlanta - Should be able to win.
@Orlando - Probably a Loss.
@Miami - Should be a win.
@Charlotte - Should be a win.
@Minnesota - Should be a win.

Injuries or not, they should be able to beat Atlanta, Miami, Charlotte, and Minnesota
We would hope.

We saw last night thru 3 quarters what the Lakers would have looked like this year if Bynum hadn't progressed to the point that he has. It was good seeing him in good spirits during the interview last night.

And I hope that he\they don't try to rush him back sooner than he should. I would rather him be 100% for the playoffs than being less than 100%, because he came back too early.

Chris

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.