Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2007-2008 NHL Regular Season thread

Old 01-05-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by astrochimp
I love the World Jr's.Its one of my favorite things about the holiday season.
Definitely, I got to go to it up in Winnipeg a few years back and watch Canada DESTROY Kazakhstan. (the same year Canada was the only team the US beat in the round robin, I thought I was gonna get killed at the bar I was at for that game)
Old 01-05-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Canada and Sweden heading to OT to decide the gold medal.
Old 01-05-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Canada wins gold baby !! Yet again!

Dynasty!
Old 01-05-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

4 in a row
Old 01-05-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Canada is very lucky to win the gold. The Swedes dominated in the third, and make it look like the Canadian defense were standing in cement. And there is no way Mason should have gotten the tournament's best goalie or MVP.

Regardless, go Canada go!
Old 01-05-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like the Pens have found their goalie.
Old 01-05-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like the Pens have found their goalie.
If only. The problem with Conklin is that he is up here on an emergency recall basis due to Fluery's injury. As soon as Fluery is healthy, he has to either be sent back down to the minors or clear waivers. Given the way he's playing, I'd think someone would make a waiver claim. I'm pretty sure this is the way the emergency recall process works. Hopefully he'll keep playing well until Fleury gets back. Fleury isn't a bad goalie, he should be ok if the team is playing well in front of him.
Old 01-06-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
Fleury isn't a bad goalie, he should be ok if the team is playing well in front of him.
That's a big key. Everyone, including the players, have noticed on how the team has improved their game defensively since all the injuries. Guys are playing much tighter since Fleury & Eaton went down. I figured they'd be ok without Fleury, but I'm very surprised that they've played as well as they have without Eaton. With the D, I think Scuds comments about the everday scratching of the extra guy being eliminated is dead-on about really helping the players settle down. Therrien was driving me crazy with that, much more than the juggling act of the lines. I've never liked the negative motivational factor - do it right or you're scratched. I think it hurts more than helps.
Old 01-10-08, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like Ovechkin will be a Capital for awhile:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=226952&hubname=
Old 01-10-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure the huge revenue from packing in 13,000 fans a game will help pay that enormous salary.
Old 01-10-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Richest contract in NHL history for Ovechkin: 13 year, $124 million deal. Wow... and that was with Ovechkin representing himself in the negotiations.
Old 01-11-08, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Consecutive wins at home for the Sharks.
Old 01-11-08, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank God.
Old 01-11-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That is a great deal for the Caps, as the get him for Crosby-like money for the entire deal. Even at the end, he gets $10 a year, which (if he continues to play as expected) would be a HUGE bargain.
Old 01-11-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Food for thought for those who say the NHL needs ESPN.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...rtsHockey/home

U.S. hockey viewership shows signs of life again
WILLIAM HOUSTON

January 10, 2008 at 8:27 PM EST

After two lean, postlockout years, the NHL is beginning to make gains in U.S. television.

Hockey audiences won't challenge the numbers produced by football, baseball and basketball any time soon, but the bleeding caused by the cancelled 2004-05 season has stopped.

At the midway point of this season, national audiences on Versus are up 32 per cent from this time last year.

Versus is drawing numbers comparable with ESPN2's viewership in 2003-04, which was the last year of its deal with the NHL.

Regionally, the audiences on Fox Sports Net have increased 25 per cent. FSN, which airs regional telecasts in 14 markets, has seen huge increases for the Minnesota Wild (114 per cent), St. Louis Blues (103 per cent) and Detroit Red Wings (50 per cent).

On the downside, audiences for the Atlanta Thrashers have dropped 50 per cent. The Phoenix Coyotes numbers are down 35 per cent. Viewership for the Tampa Bay Lightning has declined 31 per cent and the Dallas Stars are in the hole by 29 per cent.

All of these results reflect team performances, the one exception being the Stars, which are second in the Western Conference but, nevertheless, losing viewers.

In the season of 2003-04, before the lockout, FSN earned an average rating of 1.1 (percentage of the potential audience watching) for its hockey telecasts. After the lockout, in 2005-06, the rating dropped to 0.96. Then it climbed to 1.0 in 2006-07. If the audience trend continues, FSN will be back to a 1.1 by the end of this season.

The NHL telecasts on Versus are drawing an average audience of 261,406, which is well above the 209,000 who watched the telecasts on ESPN2 in 2003-04.

However, when ESPN2 was airing games, the telecasts were blacked out in the local markets. Versus has the advantage of going into the local markets.

A TV source said the improved NHL numbers should be viewed cautiously.

"The hockey audiences are teeny to begin with," he said. "But, any time you increase an audience by a third or 25 per cent, you've got to be happy with it."

Why are the numbers up? The absence of prime-time content, as a result of the Hollywood writers' strike, is driving audiences to sports programming. Versus showcases Pittsburgh Penguins star Sidney Crosby at every opportunity.

John Shannon, the NHL's head of broadcasting, feels the league's competitiveness has helped improve viewership.

Shannon also believes the buzz created by the outdoor Winter Classic in Buffalo on Jan. 1 has helped spark U.S. interest.

NBC's overnight rating of 2.6 for the outdoor game telecast has been downgraded to a national rating of 2.2 (or 3.8 million viewers), but it still ranks as the largest NHL rating in the United States since Fox's 2.2 for Wayne Gretzky's final game on April 18, 1999.

Going head to head against NBC's outdoor game telecast, the Gator Bowl on CBS earned a 2.6 rating and the Capital One Bowl on ABC a 9.1.
I guess people are starting to find the VS. channel.
Old 01-12-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Recchi ends the Pens run.
Old 01-12-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Leafs lose another one... 5 losses in a row. They've only won 2 of the last 13 I believe. They are 3rd last in the league with Tampa only 1 point behind and L.A. 4 points behind.

With that said, this is the best thing to happen to this team!

Get that high draft pick in a deep draft this year. Trade Sundin for another 1st round draft pick and some other draft picks and/or prospects. Dump most of the other players as well.

Could this finally be the year the Leafs actually follow through with a proper rebuild? I've never seen it happen in my life - so I'm not holding my breath.
Old 01-12-08, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even though Recchi beat the Pens tonight I'm glad he's gone. The Thrashers are a .500 team with him, while the Pens are on a nice run without him. He may get some points, but he's a defensive liability and wasn't helping the team.
Old 01-13-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coral
Could this finally be the year the Leafs actually follow through with a proper rebuild? I've never seen it happen in my life - so I'm not holding my breath.
The Blues finally did it - maybe the Leafs will, too.
Old 01-13-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tough loss for the Leafs, but a great win for the Sharks. I thought we were doomed after the first 2 periods.

3 straight wins at home!
Old 01-14-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It is nice to see the Hockey Ratings up, and I do think Sidney Crosby is actually a ratings grabber for the NHL, and he seems to enjoy the spotlight too.

I think the huge problem with the NHL in the past ten years is many things, but I think a lack of big stars which sold the game during the Gretzky era. Just think of the major stars who played in the late 80'-mid 90's when I feel the game was at its peak:

-Wayne Gretzky
-Mario Lemieux
-Ray Bourque
-Patrick Roy
-Martin Brodeur
-Dominik Hasik
-Steve Yzerman
-Brett Hull
-Scott Stevens
-Eric Lindros
-Joe Sakic
-Peter Forsberg
-Mark Messier
-Jaromir Jagr
-Brian Leetch
-Jeremy Roenick

How many big names are in the game compared to that list: Right now the only ones they talk about is Crosby and Oveckin, and Iginla. At one time you may have had 4 of the top 10 players of all-time: Gretzky, Lemieux, Bourque, and Messier, that is the golden age of Hockey to me, and I just don't see that star power today. I think expansion has hurt because before you usually had 1 star for each team, but now the talent is so spread, there are a handful of teams with no real big names.
Old 01-14-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do think they are trying to expand but it a slow process. You might think I am a bit of a homer but you definitely could hype Gaborik more especially since is learning to pass more now, and he is paired up with Pavol Demitra. There are other examples like this out there, and if you talk to low interest fans they either don't know that Detroit is one of the best teams right now or think they are only because they used to be so the store lines aren't always exploited like they should.
Old 01-14-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Curtis Joseph signs with Calgary.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=227284&hubname=
Old 01-14-08, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
Curtis Joseph signs with Calgary.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=227284&hubname=
Leaf fans can thank Calgary for picking up Cujo, since the Leafs actually expressed interest in him. Hard to believe that they still want to apply band-aid solutions to solving their problems when it hasn't worked for 40 years, and their easily on their way to missing the playoffs for the 3rd straight season. MLSE has to be the biggest embarrasment in sports history.
Old 01-14-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coli
I think the huge problem with the NHL in the past ten years is many things, but I think a lack of big stars which sold the game during the Gretzky era.
Even during the Gretzky with L.A. era and with Lemeiux and all those stars, the NHL still did poorly in the US. That era was the best they can hope for, and that's not a good thing.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.