Reload this Page >

The Ultimate Fighter thread - Team Serra vs. Team Hughes

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 09-20-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First episode was last night, and will be on Wednesdays this season instead of Thursdays.

One of the guys, Joe Scarola, is Serra's close friend, so Hughes hinted around that he was going to pick him. Hughes didn't really want him, but hoped Serra would waste his first pick to get his buddy. Which he did.

Another guy, Roman Mitichiyan broke his elbow during the first day of training and is already out. He threw a fit in the doctor's office.

The format will be a little different this season. The teams will alternate in picking the weekly matches, and whichever team wins the most in this first round gets to choose the quarterfinal matches.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=tuf.home

Serra & Hughes will fight in December for Serra's title.

TEAM SERRA
Joe Scarola Eliminated in week one by Mac Danzig
George Sotiropoulos 1-0
Matt Arroyo 1-0
John Kolosci 1-0
Ben Saunders 1-0
Roman Mitichyan Eliminated during week one due to injury
Jon Koppenhaver
Troy Mandaloniz 1-0
Richie Hightower 1-0

TEAM HUGHES
Dan Barrera Eliminated in week six by Ben Saunders
Mac Danzig 1-0
Tommy Speer
Billy Miles Eliminated in week three by John Kolosci
Jared Rollins Eliminated in week seven by George Sotiropoulos
Paul Georgieff Eliminated in week five by Troy Mandaloniz
Dorian Price Eliminated in week two by Matt Arroyo
Blake Bowman Eliminated in week four by Richie Hightower

Team Matches
Week 1 - 09/19: Mac Danzig beat Joe Scarola by triangle choke
HUGHES 1 SERRA 0

Week 2 - 09/26: Matt Arroyo beat Dorian Price by rear naked choke
HUGHES 1 SERRA 1

Week 3 - 10/03: John Kolosci beat Billy Miles by guillotine choke
HUGHES 1 SERRA 2

Week 4 - 10/10: Richie Hightower beat Blake Bowman
HUGHES 1 SERRA 3

Week 5 - 10/17: Troy Mandaloniz beat Paul Georgieff by KO
HUGHES 1 SERRA 4

Week 6 - 10/24: Ben Saunders beat Dan Barrera by decision after 2 rounds
HUGHES 1 SERRA 5

Week 7 - 10/31: George Sotiropoulos beat Jared Rollins by KO
HUGHES 1 SERRA 6

Week 8 - 11/07: Tommy Speer beat Jon Koppenhaver
HUGHES 2 SERRA 6

----------------------------------
Quarterfinals

Week 9 - 11/14: Mac Danzig beat John Kolosci via RNC

Last edited by Charlie Goose; 11-19-07 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-20-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked it. Here is a good reivalry between Hughes and Serra. I think Hughes really played Serra by hinting about picking his friend. I will be rooting for Team Serra, but I think Team Hughes will prevail.
Old 09-20-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Do I need to spoil the match from the first episode?
Spoiler:
Mac Danzig beat Joe Scarola by tapout in the triangle choke with 6 seconds left in the round. It seemed like Serra thought that Scarola was looking for an excuse to tap. HUGHES 1 SERRA 0
Old 09-20-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 138 Likes on 101 Posts
I've yet to watch it, but one of the guys Charlie something goes to a kickboxing/ju-jitsu gym here in town. Short stocky guy. They didn't say how he did, obviously, but they hinted at him doing well.
Old 09-20-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At first hearing this, I thought people would be pissed to be on Sera's team. I know he's a champ now, but he was just on the show, and I assumed most would look at Hughes experience and want to go there.

But it looks like Sera really has his shit together. He's really likable in the coach role, so I'm glad he's on this season.
Old 09-20-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Highly ironic that Matt Hughes won't let his kid watch the show, and doesn't like Serra b/c he throws out curses like a sailor, yet Dana White curses far more than anyone on the show combined.
Old 09-20-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Highly ironic that Matt Hughes won't let his kid watch the show, and doesn't like Serra b/c he throws out curses like a sailor, yet Dana White curses far more than anyone on the show combined.
I was thinking the same thing. And I really liked Serra on the show, and his title victory. Hughes, I just don't like, so should be a good season.
Old 09-20-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
At first hearing this, I thought people would be pissed to be on Sera's team. I know he's a champ now, but he was just on the show, and I assumed most would look at Hughes experience and want to go there.

But it looks like Sera really has his shit together. He's really likable in the coach role, so I'm glad he's on this season.
I thought Serra would make a good coach considering his time on TUF4, he did exactly that in helping get his teammates ready for their fights.
Old 09-20-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, Serra seemed like a better coach in that he was approachable, and he was willing to help other guys knowing he could be fighting them later in the semis or championships.
Old 09-21-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Old 09-21-07, 04:02 PM

From what I have seen in the previews, the fighters do alot of damage to the house. After the crap from last season, you would think that Dana would lay down stricter rules. Also, you would think that the fighters would be on their best behaviour seeing the currently, the UFC is the only game around.
Old 09-21-07, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts
You guys do realize that before TUF Serra ran his own gym? That's why he wasn't really fighting. He's a great coach and has much more experience coaching a team than Hughes. I still thing Hughes is going to take him out pretty easily in their match though. I'm not a big fan of either of them so it makes no difference to me who wins. WAR GSP!
Old 09-21-07, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by TeamAnS
From what I have seen in the previews, the fighters do alot of damage to the house. After the crap from last season, you would think that Dana would lay down stricter rules. Also, you would think that the fighters would be on their best behaviour seeing the currently, the UFC is the only game around.
It's a "reality" show. They give them unlimited supplies of alcohol and eliminate contact with the outside world because they want to get footage of them doing stupid stuff like trashing the house and arguing with each other.
Old 09-26-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slappypete
It's a "reality" show. They give them unlimited supplies of alcohol and eliminate contact with the outside world because they want to get footage of them doing stupid stuff like trashing the house and arguing with each other.
Yeah, I guess they don't believe a full hour of training would be interesting enough. I for one hate that stupid house trashing stuff.

Anyway, don't forget the show is now on Wednesdays (tonight!)
Old 09-26-07, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by noonan4224
You guys do realize that before TUF Serra ran his own gym? That's why he wasn't really fighting. He's a great coach and has much more experience coaching a team than Hughes. I still thing Hughes is going to take him out pretty easily in their match though. I'm not a big fan of either of them so it makes no difference to me who wins. WAR GSP!
Yeah, Serra has a gym in the town I live in. The same town he's from and Joe Scarola's from. Serra is definatly a good trainer but I still think Hughes' team is going to win.

You would think that since Serra is from the same town as me, and that I'm not a big Hughes fan I'd be pulling for Serra but I don't like him much either. I'm pulling for Team Hughes.
Old 09-27-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I found the bible part last night with Hughes, laughable. However I think it's prob not the worst thing for him to be religious and put it out there for his team, in case they're looking for something to believe in.. A few of those guys might appreciate it, he just needs to make sure not to push it. Serra was acting like he was making the guys do bible study for an hour, I didn't see it that way, it was just something he was offering in case people were interested.

It was odd he was like read that passage and tell me who I am... ha

The fight was the typical first round stuff, one guy clearly overmatching the other.

I'm not a fan of either but pulling for Hughes, and think he'll kill Serra. I saw that Serra Vs GSP fight again and really feel he just got lucky with a punch to the back of the head on GSP.. although GSP def didn't look good up until that point either.
Old 09-27-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk God

WTF? Bible study? Ugggghhh
Old 09-27-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am so sick of the crybaby Ben Affleck lookalike. I hope he get kick out of the show already. The house segments are so dumb that I start fast-forwarding straight to the fights.

I really hope Serra can pull off another major upset, that will pisses Hughes to no end when he becomes a nurse.
Old 09-27-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zuffy
I am so sick of the crybaby Ben Affleck lookalike. I hope he get kick out of the show already. The house segments are so dumb that I start fast-forwarding straight to the fights.
If he didn't puss out during his fight, he wouldn't be moping around like a bitch. But I definately understand where he's coming from, he has no reason to be there since he can't continue.

I can't believe Hughes didn't bother to help his fighter with any ground defense and let him rely on his stand up. Matt was really poised during the match even after taking the knee to the head when he shot in.
Old 09-28-07, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Serra's guy is coming off bad but one always has to remember the editors can amplify certain personality ticks. I have the sneaking suspicion that his disappointment in losing and homesickness is more the product of general boredom rather than being a wimpy whiner.

As for the Hughes bible study. I think it was pretty inappropriate, at least in the situation that he was using it during their training session and passive-aggressively saying "You dont have to" yet also making it an assignment. If he wanted to give them bibles to take home and read after practice should they want to, that is totally cool.

The unfotuante thing about this season is pretty typical of TUF. Most of the guys are scrubs, so its hard to say if any of them will be promising contenders. The one experienced, well-rounded guy in the cast, Mac Danzig, isn't even a WW. He's competed most of his career as a LW, you can tell physically he is clearly undersized compared to the rest of the guys, and I'm pretty certain he is just using the show for exposure an will drop down again to LW after the show is over.
Old 10-05-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't believe Joe Scarola left like a bitch, even after Serra as much told him that their friendship would be over if he did. AND Scarola loses his job at Serra's gym. When Scarola was packing, Dana White walks in, straight from the airport. He gets really pissed off when guys wuss out like this. They're only in the house for six weeks. I understand that no TV or contact with the outside world can be stressful, but this is the opportunity of a lifetime for a fighter.
Old 10-05-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not only that, Dana pointed out that Scarola will NEVER fight in the UFC (and I assume anything Zuffa owned) if he left the house, so Scarola isn't going to be fighting at all in the future.

Another good win for Team Serra. Tho I would like to see Bill fight John when he's healthier. Not only was he nervous, but having to cut so much weight looked like it took its toll on him.
Old 10-05-07, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Not only was he nervous, but having to cut so much weight looked like it took its toll on him.
Eww, the weight cutting scenes were pretty gross. The suit was splashing off him.
Old 10-05-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Eww, the weight cutting scenes were pretty gross. The suit was splashing off him.
Yeah, hard to believe he cut like 10 lbs in a day WITHOUT using the sauna. I can't begin to imagine the stench.

I was also surprised not to see any reaction from Dana to the house already being trashed.

I know everyone had Scarola's best interest in mind, but in the long run, it's better that he left. He was only going to become a detriment as it progressed.

I wanted to add that you're seeing two really different coaching techniques. Hughes relies on the person's strength, I think Bill said that Hughes just trains you to win no matter what type of match... where Serra seems to target countering the opponent.

Last edited by devilshalo; 10-05-07 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-11-07, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, another win by Team Serra. And again, Hughes (to me) has no idea how to train a fighter against an opponent. Granted Hightower took 2 really good knees to the chin while in the clench, but I thought he did just as much damage with those Tyson uppercuts.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.