Reload this Page >

WWECW, TNA & ROH 8/27-9/2 or "How to completely bury talent"

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

WWECW, TNA & ROH 8/27-9/2 or "How to completely bury talent"

Old 08-29-07, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
Morrison is my fav right now. Great combo of wrestling ability and character. He ripped Punk hard in that promo. I would like to see someone else as #1 contender though.
I also think Morrison has been outstanding. I was a huge fan when he was Johnny Nitro, and was pushing hard for him to be moved off RAW where he was lost in the shuffle. But every champion needs their foil to be believable, Punk has lost almost all credibility. It's very much like Samoa Joe in TNA, by the time either of them finally win the title it's going to be too late. Punk needed that win at SummerSlam, not a last gasp victory at a third-tier PPV like Unforgiven.

Also, WTF happened to Elijah Burke?!? He's not even involved in the #1 contenders mix anymore? Somehow The Miz and Boogeyman vaulted him and he's battling for hard fought wins and loses to Balls. That makes no sense to me, Burke was already in the main event picture prior to Morrison's arrival, why waste the opportunity to create an ECW title scene around outstanding young talent? I'm baffled beyond imagination why Burke is being wasted like he is, I wonder if he somehow pissed someone off.
Old 08-29-07, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed on Burke. He's an amazing performer, he has the charisma, but instead he's thrown back down into the mid-card in exchange for Boogeyman, Big Daddy V and the Jiz.
Old 08-29-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, I forgot about Burke.
Old 08-29-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been high on Burke for a while now. He puts on very good matches and has some natural charisma. I've given up on trying to figure out WWE booking.
Old 08-29-07, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 895 Likes on 705 Posts
Burke's just got nothing to do right now. There are no faces in ECW besides Punk for him to fued with (that I can think of, I admittedly haven't watched ECW in a while), and Punk is fueding for the title. Hopefully Punk will win back the title and Burke will go back up the card. It was fairly obvious when Burke was leading the New Breed that there were no faces besides Punk, RVD and the older ECW guys, and then they brought more heels in Morrison and Big V. Obviously, Benoit would have changed that, but that's water under the bridge.

Although it totally goes against the ECW name, I wished they moved guys like Shelton Benjamin to ECW to bolster the top of that roster.
Old 08-29-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Although it totally goes against the ECW name, I wished they moved guys like Shelton Benjamin to ECW to bolster the top of that roster.
Yeah, he needs to hit the road and go over to ECW...him and his fancy new yellow hair.
Old 08-29-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Although it totally goes against the ECW name...
When was the last time the booking team even cared about the ECW name?
Old 08-29-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, John Morrison goes with the ECW name real well.
Old 08-29-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can see Punk attempting to win the belt time after time and he keeps coming up short. Until finally, he captures the gold and does a complete heel turn, telling the fans they are stupid. Maybe Mick Foley will even get involved.

It will be like ROH all over again. I smell an hour long draw between Punk/Morrison coming up soon.
Old 08-29-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I know the rest of the guys don't really have the ECW vibe to them, just trying to ward off criticism that bringing in more WWE guys won't help the brand. I think they just need to get some of the younger guys there, and (sorry to say) treat it like OVW, or a proving ground for guys before they make it to SD or Raw, where they can build guys up without having them run into the politics of seniority. Someone like Benjamin could rebuild his credibility by getting some good matches in ECW. Hardcore ECW fans would hate this, I think, but then again this isn't really ECW any more.

While I think they do need to turn Punk heel at some point (just because he's so good as a heel), again, that would leave them with no faces at all. Or am I overlooking somebody here?
Old 08-29-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hardcore ECW fans would hate this, I think, but then again this isn't really ECW any more.
Hardcore ECW fans have either completely quit on the company, or they have come to the realization that this is not and never will be the original ECW and they've made their peace with it.

While I think they do need to turn Punk heel at some point (just because he's so good as a heel), again, that would leave them with no faces at all. Or am I overlooking somebody here?
Let's see...

Face:
Balls Mahoney
Boogeyman
CM Punk
Stevie Richards
Tommy Dreamer

Heel:
Big Daddy V
Elijah Burke
John Morrison
Kevin Thorne
Matt Striker
Mike Knox
The Miz

Who knows / who cares?
Marcus Cor Von
Nunzio

Yeah, that's it. So outside of Punk, there are no top faces in the company. Richards and Dreamer could have been, but they've been so misused that the fans won't accept it.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 08-29-07 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-29-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd forgotten all about Cor Von, moving to WWE was obviously a good move for him.
Old 08-29-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did they ever say anything about Cor Von? Or did he just stop showing up for work and nobody really noticed. Maybe TNA will take him back...as a member of Team Pac Man.
Old 08-29-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Like the Alpha Male would've been any better off in TNA...
Old 08-29-07, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Did they ever say anything about Cor Von? Or did he just stop showing up for work and nobody really noticed. Maybe TNA will take him back...as a member of Team Pac Man.
WWE claims he's having "family issues" that he's working on, and he'll be back in ECW "soon." It's supposed to be related to a death in his family, but I've never heard anything beyond that.
Old 08-30-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I know the rest of the guys don't really have the ECW vibe to them, just trying to ward off criticism that bringing in more WWE guys won't help the brand. I think they just need to get some of the younger guys there, and (sorry to say) treat it like OVW, or a proving ground for guys before they make it to SD or Raw, where they can build guys up without having them run into the politics of seniority. Someone like Benjamin could rebuild his credibility by getting some good matches in ECW. Hardcore ECW fans would hate this, I think, but then again this isn't really ECW any more.

Just wanted to clear up...I wasn't bashing your idea. I think it's a good one. The way it is now, ECW should be used to give people ring time and build up the young talent.

I missed the ECW era and only have some DVDs of it, but it was great stuff. It's like they (WWE) don't give a damn about it and it's just there because they have a contract with SciFi.
Old 08-30-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
It will be like ROH all over again. I smell an hour long draw between Punk/Morrison coming up soon.
This is WWE we are talking about. I highly doubt you will see an hour long draw from these two. Wishful thinking, but it isn't going to happen.
Old 08-30-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

looks like TNA will have a 2 hour show in October.... should be interesting... but still this one hour show they have now is terribly booked...
Old 08-30-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 137 Likes on 83 Posts
He Who Shall Not Be Named:
http://www.wwe.com/inside/listthis/g...tsslammoments7
Old 08-30-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by raven56706
looks like TNA will have a 2 hour show in October.... should be interesting... but still this one hour show they have now is terribly booked...
Is this a permanent 2 hour show now or a one time trial type of thing?

PS - no one is naked on Big Brother...except Amber
Old 08-30-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

TNA IMPACT EXPANSION UPDATE
by Mike Johnson @ 3:19:14 PM on 8/29/2007

TNA officials told a number of wrestlers at the Impact tapings Monday in Orlando, Florida that the company would be moving into a two hour weekly program this October, so negotiations must be close to or already completed. The smart money is on SpikeTV but TNA did have several rounds of meetings with FOX as well.

--------------------------------------

with their booking...i doubt it will be better... the more wwe castaways they get, the worse it will be
Old 08-30-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, the time for a 2 hour program to help TNA has come and gone. Right now all this means is another hour of bullshit like Karen Angle, Kurt not knowing if he's heel or face, VKM, Team 3D and the Steiners crushing every up and coming tag team instead of helping them get over, and the further destruction of the X Division.
Old 08-30-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ROH's current card for their return to Detroit on 9/14:

Jimmy Jacobs with Lacey vs. Chris Hero with Larry Sweeney, Sara Del Rey, Tank Toland & Bobby Dempsey

Grudge Match: Rockey Romero vs. Jack Evans

Four Corner Survival: Roderick Strong vs. Delirious vs. Kevin Steen vs. Erick Stevens

ROH World Champion Takeshi Morishima defends vs. winner of the Four Corner Survival

ROH Tag Team title match: Jay & Mark Briscoe (c) vs. Austin Aries & Matt Cross

Plus more to be announced with: Bryan Danielson (Danielson will still appear if he can't wrestle); Nigel McGuinness; Davey Richards; Brent Albright; BJ Whitmer; Claudio Castagnoli; Daizee Haze and others!!!
Old 08-30-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2998062
WWE suspends 10 for violating policy that requires drug tests

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- World Wrestling Entertainment has suspended 10 performers for violations of a policy that requires drug tests, the company said Thursday.

Stamford-based WWE says it issued suspension notices based on independent information received from investigators from the Albany County (New York) District Attorney's Office.

WWE spokeswoman Jennifer McIntosh would not identify the performers or specify how they violated the policy. She referred other questions to the district attorney's office, where a message seeking comment was left.
Old 08-30-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WWE ANNOUNCES TEN PERFORMERS HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED; ALSO REVEALS PLANS FOR FUTURE WELLNESS POLICY SUSPENSIONS
by Buck Woodward @ 4:01:47 PM on 8/30/2007

WWE posted the following today on their corporate website:

WWE® Statement On Performer Suspensions

STAMFORD, Conn., August 30, 2007 - Based on independent information received from investigators from the Albany County, NY D.A.’s office, WWE has today, under the penalty provisions of its wellness policy, issued suspension notices to 10 of its performers for violations. It has been WWE’s practice not to release the names of those who have been suspended, but notice has been sent to all WWE performers that names of anyone who is suspended under the Wellness Policy as of November 1 will be made public.
No word on who the ten suspended performers are yet, but with TV being taped this weekend, it will be pretty obvious if any major names are missing. Also, starting in November, there won't be any more speculation whether a suspension is part of the Wellness Policy or not, since WWE is going to be making the names public.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.