Reload this Page >

2007 Fantasy Football advice thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-22-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Post your fantasy draft / who to start / who to pick up questions here.

With the #2 pick, how crazy would it be to draft Larry Johnson over Steven Jackson?
Old 08-22-07, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rabbit77
Post your fantasy draft / who to start / who to pick up questions here.

With the #2 pick, how crazy would it be to draft Larry Johnson over Steven Jackson?

Pretty crazy since he held out for so long
Old 08-23-07, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 307 Likes on 250 Posts
I think the #2 pick is a very interesting debate. I don't think it is crazy to take Johnson there.

#4 is a really tough one too.
Old 08-23-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
I'd take Jackson, because he's got a better QB in front of him. LJ is not a crazy pick, but Edwards has a few other backs he likes, so those guys will steal some carries.
Old 08-23-07, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My league's system is a bit unusual. 8 teams, 1qb-2rb-4wr-1k, but it's very TD heavy with length of TD having a huge effect on score. I joined the existing league and this was the system they had in place...

I have the 4th pick in my draft this Saturday. Who should I go with?

They're not the sharpest opponents, but I'm assuming LT-SJ go first and LJ/Gore in pick 3. LJ, Gore, Addai are who I'm debating between.
Old 08-23-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
I would be happy to draft fifth this year with all the people dismissing Alexander. I think he's in a for a big season.
Old 08-23-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,092 Likes on 851 Posts
Originally Posted by wetsprockets
My league is 12 teams, standard scoring with a 10pt bonus for 350 yds passing, 150 yds rushing/receiving. Start 1qb, 2 rbs, 3 wrs, 1 te, 1 k, 1 d.

Any suggestions for the 12/13 picks? Some of the players that may be available are Henry, Bush, Brown, Jones-Drew, all the wrs, and maybe Manning.

Also who would you take at 4 (not my pick), LJ or Addai? LJ is getting bypassed at 3 for Gore because of concerns over the 400+ carries, o-line, and qb play.
I'm in pretty much the same boat with the 12 and 13 pick. The scary thing is that we don't get to pick again until 36/37. Ugh. I'm thinking Bush and Brown (or whoever else falls), since I shudder to think what kind of second running back will be available at 36/37.
Old 08-23-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd go for the "opposite" strategy if I were on the bottom of a 12 team league. Get one of the top tier WRs or Manning if he is available over a middle of the road RB who won't be that much better than a 36 pick RB.
Old 08-23-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,092 Likes on 851 Posts
Originally Posted by starman9000
I'd go for the "opposite" strategy if I were on the bottom of a 12 team league. Get one of the top tier WRs or Manning if he is available over a middle of the road RB who won't be that much better than a 36 pick RB.

Hmm... that's a good point. Looking at the draft scenarios for those positions, I guess there are major questionmarks around any RB available around that time (12/13).
Old 08-23-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just drafted a league today, and you would be surprised what falls sometimes, but I was towards the bottom and took Manning and then Willie Parker couple picks later.
Old 08-23-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a bit of a dilemma. I drafted Jackson number 3 and then Holt a little while later. When it came time to draft my quarterback Bulger was available and even though I didn't want to do it I went ahead and took him. I can't remember what round but I thought I was lucky to still have him available when I got him.

So, I have 3 Rams on my team. Probably not the best thing, but it is what it is at the moment. My question is that in week 1 St. Louis plays Carolina and my defense is Carolina. I had no idea St. Louis played Carolina week 1 until after the draft. Should I just play what I have or bite the bullet and make a move already and pick up another defense to play week 1? I never draft backup defenses. Another option would be to play Vince Young vs Jacksonville over Bulger.
Old 08-23-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love the possibilities out of norwood he was gonna be my sleeper pick but got picked up two picks before me. I took lynch instead but I might trade him because he has the same bye week as one of my starters and if one gets hurt I might be in trouble.
Old 08-23-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I drafted my team last week and I think I came out pretty good. I do have all young QB's, but I think Smith is poised for a huge season assuming Gore stays healthy. Anyone see any Glaring weaknesses in my lineup?

QB
Tony Romo (DAL)
Alex Smith (SF)
Jay Cutler (DEN)

RB
Reggie Bush (NO)
Brian Westbrook (PHI)
Ahman Green (HOU)
Brandon Jackson (GB)

WR
Anquan Boldin (ARI)
TJ Houshmandzadeh (CIN)
Darrell Jackson (SF)
Ashlie Lelie (SF)

TE
Vernon Davis (SF)
Ben Watson (NE)

K
Josh Brown (SEA)

Def
Dallas

I realize having 2 of my 4 recievers playing for the Niners could be a problem if Smith doesn't come through, but I'll probably end up cutting either Green or Jacobs depending on who's not performing and grab another WR.

Last edited by NORML54601; 08-24-07 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-23-07, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
I would cut Lelie, not one of your running backs. There has to be better out there than him.
Old 08-24-07, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by NORML54601
I realize having 2 of my 4 recievers playing for the Niners could be a problem if Smith doesn't come through, but I'll probably end up cutting either Green or Jacobs depending on who's not performing and grab another WR.
I would drop Lelie or one of your TE's before I dropped a RB. I never carry more than 1 TE, 1 K and 1 DEF. There are always options on the wire for a bye week play at those positions.
Old 08-24-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

guys i need help.... in a draft at my job i have the 4th pick... who should i get...
Old 08-24-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by raven56706
guys i need help.... in a draft at my job i have the 4th pick... who should i get...
Depending on the scoring in your league, I'd either go with Peyton Manning (in a QB-friendly scoring system) or Frank Gore.
Old 08-24-07, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1
I love the possibilities out of norwood he was gonna be my sleeper pick but got picked up two picks before me. I took lynch instead but I might trade him because he has the same bye week as one of my starters and if one gets hurt I might be in trouble.
He's not a sleeper! Everyone knows about Norwood from what he did last year.
Old 08-24-07, 10:36 PM

Here's my team from a draft 2 weeks ago:

Keeper: S. Jackson RB
1. R. Bush RB
2. Andre Johnson WR
3. Lee Evans WR
4. Clinton Portis RB
5. Todd Heap TE
6. Jerricho Cotchery WR
7. Baltimore D
8. Philip Rivers QB
9. Bernard Berrian WR
10. Santonio Holmes WR
11. LaMont Jordan RB
12. Vince Young QB
13. Adam Vinatieri K
14. Priest Holmes RB (which I later dropped and picked up Jackson's backup, Leonard).

Any comments? It's a point per reception, so I love having Bush and Jackson as my backs; that'll be huge.
Old 08-24-07, 10:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NORML54601
I drafted my team last week and I think I came out pretty good. I do have all young QB's, but I think Smith is poised for a huge season assuming Gore stays healthy. Anyone see any Glaring weaknesses in my lineup?

QB
Tony Romo (DAL)
Alex Smith (SF)
Jay Cutler (DEN)

RB
Reggie Bush (NO)
Brian Westbrook (PHI)
Ahman Green (HOU)
Brandon Jacobs (GB)

WR
Anquan Boldin (ARI)
TJ Houshmandzadeh (CIN)
Darrell Jackson (SF)
Ashlie Lelie (SF)

TE
Vernon Davis (SF)
Ben Watson (NE)

K
Josh Brown (SEA)

Def
Dallas

I would drop Lelie as well. But I'm curious...You have Brandon Jacobs (GB) listed, do you mean Brandon Jackson of the Packers?
Old 08-24-07, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
But I'm curious...You have Brandon Jacobs (GB) listed, do you mean Brandon Jackson of the Packers?
If he has Jacobs, that is some RB power!
Old 08-24-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
I would drop Lelie as well. But I'm curious...You have Brandon Jacobs (GB) listed, do you mean Brandon Jackson of the Packers?
Yup, fixed
Old 08-25-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Haven't done a team in years, but here's what I have in a standard Yahoo League (was an autodraft):

QB Brady
WR Roy Williams, L Coles, Braylon Edwards
RB Rudi Johnson, Ronnie Brown
TE Kellen Winslow
BN Brandon Jacobs (RB) Kevin Curtis, Eddie Kennison (WR), Matt Leinart (QB) and Ben Troupe (RE)

K Jason Hanson and Josh Scobee
Def Miamia and Carolina

Im thinking I want to add some depth to WR and maybe RB. Any suggestions? Should I drop a kicker or a defense?

Some available players, nothing great:
RB: Jerious Norwood, Tatum Bell, Ladell Betts, Chester Taylor, Lendale White, Kevin Jones.

WR Anthony Gonzalez, Brendon Marshall, Chris Henry, Marty Booker, Wes Welker, Rod Smith
Old 08-25-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

any advice for leagues that start 3 WR/TE where you don't have to play a TE at all? are there a few certain TEs that should be used and then just stick to WRs?
Old 08-25-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
I would pick up Tatum Bell for sure. Cut Kennison or Troupe. Also ditch the extra kicker and defense and grab Betts and Norwood.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.