Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Is It Just Me, Or Has ESPN Been Going Down Hill?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Is It Just Me, Or Has ESPN Been Going Down Hill?

Old 04-03-20, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: Is It Just Me, Or Has ESPN Been Going Down Hill?

GBTO
Old 04-15-20, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Katie Nolan had a Zoom chat the other day. She got her co-workers/friends to invite the most famous person they knew.

Old 04-15-20, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 473 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by sportsfan64 View Post
Katie Nolan had a Zoom chat the other day. She got her co-workers/friends to invite the most famous person they knew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0tnSn1hIoo
I agree with her, Pablo was at first unrecognizable and it was freaking me out.
Old 04-15-20, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 224 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by sportsfan64 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0tnSn1hIoo
That was pretty fun
Old 07-06-20, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,227 Likes on 747 Posts

I don’t know if it’s fair to characterize this as “going down hill” especially during a pandemic with no sports of note to cover. That said, they used their prime Sunday evening slot to show a new video concert from the post-Glenn Frey Eagles from 2018.
Now I am a big fan of the band, so I was interested. Still that was a weird programming choice for ESPN.
Old 07-06-20, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 685 Likes on 505 Posts

Scott Van Pelt announced he’s leaving Bristol Connecticut and will do his shows from Maryland, where he’s from. His last show from Bristol aired a few days ago.
Old 07-06-20, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I don’t know if it’s fair to characterize this as “going down hill” especially during a pandemic with no sports of note to cover. That said, they used their prime Sunday evening slot to show a new video concert from the post-Glenn Frey Eagles from 2018.
Now I am a big fan of the band, so I was interested. Still that was a weird programming choice for ESPN.
Being a Philadelphia Eagles fan, I was pysched for something about the Football team last night. I love the band too, but I this is why I'm so close to cutting the cord as I think Cable TV jumped the shark. MTV doesn't play videos anymore, ESPN is showing documentaries on music groups, and AMC doesn't play movie classics anymore.
Old 07-08-20, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

ESPN radio is making some changes, starting some new shows in August. Mike Golic, Sr. is out, Mike Golic, Jr. gets a new show, Mike Greenberg gets a new show, Dan Le Batard's show is cut down to 2 hrs.
ESPN is shaking up its syndicated national radio lineup, although only one of the changes will come through to listeners in New York. “Golic and Wingo,” which airs from 6 to 10 a.m. nationally and on 98.7 in the city, is being replaced by “Keyshawn, Jay and Zubin.”

Mike Golic Sr. and Trey Wingo have been ESPN fixtures for decades; both have contracts that are up at the end of the year. Their show ends this month.

Golic, a former NFL lineman, was one of the titular “Mike & Mikes” from 2002-17 before the other Mike, Greenberg, decamped for TV. As part of the radio changes, Greenberg is returning to midday radio. The full lineup changes:
  • From 6-10, ”Golic and Wingo” is being replaced by “Keyshawn, Jay and Zubin” with former Jets receiver Keyshawn Johnson, former NBA guard Jay Williams and SportsCenter host Zubin Mehenti.
  • ”The Dan Le Batard Show” is being trimmed from three hours to two. It will now air from 10 a.m. to noon.
  • Three new afternoon programs will replace “First Take, Your Take,” whose host, Jason Fitz, will join Sarah Spain in the evenings. “The Mike Greenberg Show,” “The Max Kellerman Show,” and “Chiney and Golic Jr.” will air from noon to 7 p.m.
Chiney Ogwumike, a forward for the WNBA’s Los Angeles Sparks, recently said that she was opting out of the 2020 basketball season because of the coronavirus. She’ll join Mike Golic Jr., a former lineman like his father.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...524-story.html
Old 09-04-20, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://nypost.com/2020/09/04/trey-w...-off-of-radio/

Trey Wingo was let go by ESPN after 20+ years.

Remember he hosted the 2020 NFL Draft.

Sounds like a cost cutting move.

Old 09-04-20, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Wingo was nothing special. The most overpaid person for them is Greenburg.
Old 09-07-20, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 224 Likes on 154 Posts

ESPN decided to ripoff Cheap Seats and call it Roll the Tape for ESPN+. Lots of people, including many well known comedians like Patton Oswalt called them out on their bullshit, and one of the shows host can't take the criticism and starts acting like a jackass on Twitter replying to anyone with a negative comment. This won't end well.

Old 12-03-20, 06:16 PM

Another expected domino falls.

ESPN, Dan Le Batard parting ways in January

ESPN and longtime radio host Dan Le Batard announced Thursday that Le Batard will leave the network in January. Jan. 4 will be the final day of The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz, as well as the last day Le Batard will host his last episode of Highly Questionable – which will remain on ESPN. “It was mutually agreed that it was best for both sides to move on to new opportunities and we worked together closely to make that possible,” said Norby Williamson, ESPN executive vice president and executive editor. “We thank Dan for his many years and contributions to ESPN and wish him all the best going forward.” Greeny with Mike Greenberg will move into The Dan Le Batard Show’s 10 a.m.-noon ET timeslot.
Old 12-04-20, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

ESPN.com has been moving a ton of content to Insider. Zach Lowe, Bill Barnwell, etc. There is just very little on there worth reading anymore. Glad I have the Athletic, which has better content anyway (though I do miss Lowe and Barnwell, especially Lowe).
Old 12-04-20, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 152 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Another expected domino falls.

ESPN, Dan Le Batard parting ways in January

ESPN and longtime radio host Dan Le Batard announced Thursday that Le Batard will leave the network in January. Jan. 4 will be the final day of The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz, as well as the last day Le Batard will host his last episode of Highly Questionable – which will remain on ESPN. “It was mutually agreed that it was best for both sides to move on to new opportunities and we worked together closely to make that possible,” said Norby Williamson, ESPN executive vice president and executive editor. “We thank Dan for his many years and contributions to ESPN and wish him all the best going forward.” Greeny with Mike Greenberg will move into The Dan Le Batard Show’s 10 a.m.-noon ET timeslot.
Fuck ESPN. They're gonna keep his show on air, just without him and Papi?

I'm guessing Dan paying someone who worked on his show out of pocket when ESPN wanted to lay them off was the final straw. Go against the Mouse and you'll find yourself out of work.

That being said, Bomani Jones better fucking get the hosting gig of HQ if it's going to remain a show once Dan is gone.
Old 12-10-20, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 242 Likes on 167 Posts

Lots of stuff happening on ESPN front. All SEC sports move there in 2024 for 10 yrs. You will be able to access ESPN+ content within Hulu app. SAS getting studio show on ESPN+. There will be a daily sports show on ESPN+ recapping previous day's news.
Old 12-17-20, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 152 Likes on 120 Posts

Van Pelt has COVID and won't be hosting Sports Center for now. Said he feels fine but can't smell or taste.
Old 01-03-21, 01:05 PM

I've never been a big fan of his, but I find it astounding that ESPN is letting Mike Golic walk after 22 years and as one of their top personalities. So weird. He's very popular with their audience. I get that both Greenberg and Wingo wanted to move on, but wasn't there anywhere in the schedule for Golic?

Old 01-12-21, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 473 Likes on 367 Posts

Amin is joining the venture that LeBatard and John Skipper are launching, apparently:

Old 02-07-21, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sad news. Longtime ESPN reporter Pedro Gomez died today at 58.

Old 02-25-21, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts

Maybe a upgrade?

ESPN's NFL draft coverage reportedly will have a new host.

According to the New York Post, Mike Greenberg will replace Trey Wingo as the main host for the network's coverage of the 2021 NFL draft, hosting the broadcasts for two of the three-day event.

Wingo had hosted the past four drafts for ESPN, prior to being let go last year. Before that, Chris Berman hosted the draft for the network since it first acquired the rights to broadcast the event.

The NFL has not announced firm plans for the draft, with COVID restrictions still in place in many parts of the country. The draft runs from April 29 to May 1 and is scheduled to take place outdoors in Cleveland, with events planned at various locations, including FirstEnergy Stadium (home of the Cleveland Browns) and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-...202152699.html