Reload this Page >

Rasmussen kicked out of Tour de France

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 07-25-07, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug...ters&type=lgns
"Tour de France leader Michael Rasmussen of Denmark has been sacked by his team Rabobank, the team said on Wednesday night.

Rasmussen, who won Wednesday's 16th stage, has been under a cloud since failing to provide notice to Danish anti-doping authorities of his whereabouts during training before the Tour. "

Confirmed by BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...ng/6916698.stm

Apparently, he lied to his team saying he was in Mexico, when, in fact, he was in Italy.
Also, the entire Cofidis team has withdrawn due to a failed drug test by one of their riders.
Wow.

Last edited by zeppelin; 07-25-07 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-25-07, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This tour is a complete joke. Every single rider is doping it is just whether or not they are caught. That is why I don't care about Lance doping and am starting to care less and less about even Bonds in baseball. When everyone is cheating is it even cheating any more?
Old 07-25-07, 07:15 PM
Banned

Cycling has been a huge joke since they let drug abusers like Lance Armstrong win 7 tours without doing anything.
Old 07-25-07, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
drug abusers like Lance Armstrong
Proof?

*fixed*

Last edited by covenant; 07-25-07 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-25-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by covenant
Proof?
He competed in the Tour de France.

das
Old 07-25-07, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by covenant
Proof?

You're seriously naive if you think that Lance Armstrong or any cyclist for that matter was clean.
Old 07-25-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
You're seriously naive if you think that Lance Armstrong or any cyclist for that matter was clean.
Proof Armstrong doped in order to win 7 tours...that's all I ask.

Last edited by covenant; 07-25-07 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-25-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by das Monkey
He competed in the Tour de France.

das

Well then, that settles it, case closed!

Also, Rasmussen was pulled out for violating team rules, not for doping, and not be the tour director.

Last edited by jonw9; 07-25-07 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-25-07, 10:32 PM

I witnessed Lance Armstrong ride a 20 Kilometer time trial with a gear restriction of 53X15. He was around 17 years old and still a Junior in the USCF and his average speed was higher than the Senoir Men Cat 1s who had no restrictions to their gears. His average speed was around 49 KM an hour on gear restrictions on a rolling course with lots of Texas wind. Armstrong was not doping then and he was just incredible. Armstrong ability was already there before Cancer robbed his body of a lot of upper body muscle and made him more suitable for the Grand Tours.

I will not debate about Armstrong’s taking dope. I will say that he never tested positive.

Back on topic, I am sadden by the latest events surrounding the Tour.

Last edited by JohnDoeUSA; 07-26-07 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-26-07, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jonw9
Well then, that settles it, case closed!

Also, Rasmussen was pulled out for violating team rules, not for doping, and not be the tour director.
Well, the team rules he violated were to show up for drug tests.

It's not like he went over his per diem or missed a curfew.
Old 07-26-07, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Armstrong was an incredible rider. Most of the guys in the tour are. However, for him to win it 7 years in a row against a field full of dopers leads one to believe Lance may have been boosting himself as well. I will agree he never tested positive and will also say I don't care if he did take drugs. When everyone is cheating I don't think its an uneven playing field.
Old 07-26-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by stevevt

The rule he violated was not notifying the team of his whereabouts. This in turn made him unavailable 2 surprise tests by the UCI. I guess you can take that as you will, but it is still not a positive drug test.
Old 07-26-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by stevevt

RANDOM drug tests. You can miss a handful of them. The problem was he didn't give them the location he was really at during those two days.
Old 07-26-07, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
Armstrong was an incredible rider. Most of the guys in the tour are. However, for him to win it 7 years in a row against a field full of dopers leads one to believe Lance may have been boosting himself as well. I will agree he never tested positive and will also say I don't care if he did take drugs. When everyone is cheating I don't think its an uneven playing field.
Solid logic
Old 07-26-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This could be true, however, it could also be true that he was _that_ much better than everyone else and whatever drugs they were using just brought them close to his level. I may be naive, but he was the most tested athlete in the world during those 7 Tours, random, after stages, everything, and nothing ever came back even the slightest bit off. The only "proof" we have is some statement's from people who now have an agenda against him.
Old 07-26-07, 01:06 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Dr. Ferrari must be a very wealthy man at this point
Old 07-26-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Dr. Ferrari must be a very wealthy man at this point

Obviously, his name is Ferrari, not Dr. Kia!!
Old 07-26-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Quake1028
...but he was the most tested athlete in the world during those 7 Tours, random, after stages, everything, and nothing ever came back even the slightest bit off.
Old 07-26-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 612 Likes on 437 Posts
Yup, which is why I say let them dope. I didn't stop watching the tour because of the dope, I stopped because of all the scandals, raids, bans and all the other nonsense that punished some teams and individuals while the rest of the field gets off because they didn't get caught. Everybody knows that drugs have always been ahead of testing, and everybody closely affiliated to cycling (riders, teams, sponsors, doctors, journalists who follow cycling and even federations in some instances) know that ALL the riders doped up, including Armstrong. Especially during the years when EPO was undetectable. They don't dope up to win, they need to dope up merely to be able to compete. This only seems to be a secret to the casual cycling fan and those who suffer from a bad case of "hero worship".
Old 07-26-07, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by eXcentris
They don't dope up to win, they need to dope up merely to be able to compete. This only seems to be a secret to the casual cycling fan and those who suffer from a bad case of "hero worship".
Professional cycling is an extremely tough sport. Riding at the distance, terrain, and most importantly the speed and intensity in the Tour is beyond most people's imagination. The pain level has to be extremely high and last for a long time while in the saddle.

However, I don't for a second think that everyone in the tour is "doping". I do think that riders and teams are pushing the envelope and some riders do dope. To say that everyone in the Peloton is doping is just plain absurd unless it is coming from a person within the Peloton and with cold hard evidence. It would be like someone who watches football to say that all linemen in the NFL take Steroids because a lineman must be super strong to compete.

Rasmussen still has not tested positive for anything, let's not forget that. Does it look bad for Rasmussen, yes. I would still like to see hard facts and not just circumstantial evidence. Hopefully more evidence will be forth coming in the next weeks and months concerning Rasmussen.
Old 07-26-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 612 Likes on 437 Posts
My mistake. I was referring to the years when EPO was undetectable. It should have read:

"Everybody knows that drugs have always been ahead of testing, and everybody closely affiliated to cycling (riders, teams, sponsors, doctors, journalists who follow cycling and even federations in some instances) know that ALL the riders doped up, including Armstrong. Especially during the years when EPO was undetectable. They didn't dope up to win, they needed to dope up merely to be able to compete."

Obviously, some cleanup has occured in recent years. However, drugs are still ahead of testing. Which is why I believe doping should be allowed.