Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Dan Patrick is leaving ESPN

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Dan Patrick is leaving ESPN

Old 07-10-07, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That Stephen A. YouTube clip was far more entertaining than I would have imagined.
Old 07-10-07, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked Patrick pre-radio show when he was just doing SC. But then his smugness showed through when he got his own show. He's a tool, good riddance.
Old 07-10-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Nothing can top the days of Patrick and Olbermann doing Sportscenter.
Old 07-10-07, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RayChuang
I would not be surprised that Erik Kuselias will be offered Patrick's old hosting slot. Kuselias was an excellent radio host and he would be welcome on the radio again on a regular basis on ESPN Radio.
He is awful and useless. I change the station every time he comes on.
Old 07-10-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NORML54601
Totally agree.
Old 07-10-07, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Flashback
He is awful and useless. I change the station every time he comes on.
I have to disagree. I loved his stint on Sportsbash (I listened to his show on the ESPN Insider podcast download) and was saddened he left the show to do NASCAR Now on TV early this year.
Old 07-11-07, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I can't stand the "herd"
Old 07-11-07, 01:03 AM
Banned

Me neither. ESPN, please replace Patrick with that douchebag Colin Cowherd so I can have a decent sports talk show during my morning commute.
Old 07-11-07, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mikael79
That Stephen A. YouTube clip was far more entertaining than I would have imagined.
I agree.
Old 07-11-07, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Me neither. ESPN, please replace Patrick with that douchebag Colin Cowherd so I can have a decent sports talk show during my morning commute.
Fat chance that will happen. Colin's show draws great ratings for ESPN Radio during western USA morning drive time.
Old 07-11-07, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, love Colin, and Erik when he was on. The two best shows ESPN Radio has had recently. Would love to see Erik back. I've never watched it b/c I don't give a rats ass about NASCAR, but I've heard Erik's NASCAR show isn't very good and he's much better on the radio than the TV.
Old 07-11-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RayChuang
I have to disagree. I loved his stint on Sportsbash (I listened to his show on the ESPN Insider podcast download) and was saddened he left the show to do NASCAR Now on TV early this year.
I agree. I was off work for a week and a half after my wife gave birth. I come back and Erik is gone...wtf!?!. It has completely killed my commute home.

I can't stand Gottlieb. He is the definition of smug asshole. Jason Smith isn't any good nor is the chick who sometimes fills in. These are the people who should be doing the midnight-5 a.m. shift. I've had to switch to listening to NPR...that's how bad the Sports Bash is without Erik.
Old 07-11-07, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Jim Rome has been waiting with his pants down for years now.
The difference, for me personally, between Rome and DP has always been that it's obvious Rome is just acting the way he does for the radio - he's an entertainer. DP is just a pompous ass, and it really started to show through once Dibble (RON!) left. I listened to both shows almost every day back then, but since Dibs left I've probably listened to 10 minutes of the DP Show. Still listen to Rome when I can.

That said, I hadn't heard anything about DP and TPIR, but I actually wouldn't mind him in that role. Bob Barker is probably a smug ass in real life too.
Old 07-11-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When Kuselias had his show, it was the only radio show out there that I would actually pay a monthly fee to listen to. I've got insider through a free mag subscription, and even then I can't stand Cowherd and Patrick. PLEASE bring back Erik, from what I've seen, anybody can do that damn Nascar show for what he's doing.
Old 07-11-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He should have left a few years ago. I have tried whether ESPN has followed him down or the other way around.
Old 07-30-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So is Dan done? He hasn't been on in a couple of weeks now.
Old 07-30-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It seems like as soon as the news broke that Patrick had a syndication deal in place, they removed everything that referred to him from the show. I would assume he's done, but I guess you never know until it's official. I think it's kind of funny that they keep bringing on the Patrick regular guests (Rick Reilly, Reggie Miller,...) but never mention Patrick's name. It just kind of hangs there.

If it's not going to be Erik, which seems more possible since he's been filling in on tons of radio lately, I thought Van Pelt did the best solo job. I thought his interview with the guy from Deadspin was great, and I thought the Deadspin guy came out looking like an ass. I'd give Van Pelt an honest shot for a month or two, and I think I could get used to him. Everybody else has been a disaster solo. When Linda Cohn filled in last week it was honestly painful to listen to, I don't know if she's ever done that before but it was just dreadful.
Old 07-30-07, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hadn't even heard he went syndicated. He just kept saying he wanted to find something else to do.

edit: I just read on wiki about the syndication. My thoughts...eh...

Last edited by kantonburg; 07-30-07 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-30-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bravesmg
It seems like as soon as the news broke that Patrick had a syndication deal in place, they removed everything that referred to him from the show. I would assume he's done, but I guess you never know until it's official. I think it's kind of funny that they keep bringing on the Patrick regular guests (Rick Reilly, Reggie Miller,...) but never mention Patrick's name. It just kind of hangs there.

If it's not going to be Erik, which seems more possible since he's been filling in on tons of radio lately, I thought Van Pelt did the best solo job. I thought his interview with the guy from Deadspin was great, and I thought the Deadspin guy came out looking like an ass. I'd give Van Pelt an honest shot for a month or two, and I think I could get used to him. Everybody else has been a disaster solo. When Linda Cohn filled in last week it was honestly painful to listen to, I don't know if she's ever done that before but it was just dreadful.
I thought Van Pelt did a good job filling in too. I wouldn't mind him getting a shot at the show.
Old 07-30-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd love to see Van Pelt get the gig, as he is one of two or three likable people left at the network.
Old 07-30-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it's more likely that Erik Kuselias will take over Dan Patrick's old slot. Kuselias was really good on SportsBash, and I'd like to see SportsBash with Erik Kuselias move into Patrick's old time slot.
Old 07-30-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whoever they pick I really hope they have a co-host. Patrick sucked after Dibble left. Mike & Mike I like. Cowherd I like, but the show is more interesting when Fish is talking to him.
Old 07-30-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

EK is pretty decent, he does well filling in for M&M. M&M has totally grown on me, I've listened to them for quite awhile, but now they are a daily ritual.

-p
Old 07-31-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think ESPN is testing my will today by putting EK with Steven A. Smith. You can practically hear EK groaning through the mic trying to carry this bastard, and I hate to say it, but he's fighting a losing battle.
Old 07-31-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bravesmg
I think ESPN is testing my will today by putting EK with Steven A. Smith. You can practically hear EK groaning through the mic trying to carry this bastard, and I hate to say it, but he's fighting a losing battle.
Yeah, I can't imagine a worse lineup than Cowheard followed by Steven A.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.