Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

WWE Star Chris Benoit and entire family found dead

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

WWE Star Chris Benoit and entire family found dead

Old 06-25-07, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing about it on CNN. I know mainstream media doesn't give a shit about pro wrestling, but if that worthless **** Paris Hilton was dead, it would take up the whole fucking page.
Old 06-25-07, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
This is just horrible news. One of the best wrestlers found dead along with his wife and young son is so freaking depressing. Please let it not be a murder/suicide.
Old 06-25-07, 07:43 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is so sad Benoit is one of my favs of all time, I followed him in Japan and ECW to WCW and WWF/WWE. I can't believe this am numb, I mean just recently he took MVP under his wing and made him a better wrestler. Benoit was a really special guy who gave a damn about the business, and he will be sorely missed. R.I.P. Chris & Family, thanks for the memories.
Old 06-25-07, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
While watching Willy Wonka with the kids, I remembered that Raw was starting at 8 instead of 9. When I turned it on, I saw Vince in the ring. "Oh wow, he's actually dropping this angle after realizing it's in poor taste thanks to Sherri." Then he mentioned it being a tribute to Benoit. My jaw just dropped.

I know i'm stating the obvious, but this is very, very sad.

Old 06-25-07, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts
There will be a lot more to this story. My first thought was about Sullivan too, but that would be too crazy, but I get the feeling this is gonna turn out even more sad than it is at the current face.
Old 06-25-07, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Steam
I think that Vince realizes how fucked up the whole death angle was, storyline or not. Its a shame that someone had to die for him to understand this.
I am floored by the tragic news! I idolized Benoit, I've met him several times and he has always been a class act!

Let me ask you all this though. In reference to the post quoted above, why is it not ok for a character (Mr. McMahon) to be "killed off" on a pro wrestling show; yet it is perfectly fine for a soap opera character to be killed off, or a tv star to be killed off, etc?? It is common knowledge by now that pro wrestling is a staged event. It is called a "male soap opera", so why is it not acceptable for WWE to produce a "presumed death" angle for Mr. McMahon?

As for the angle continuing, I'm sure they will drop it for good. I personally don't think it would be tasteless to continue on however. Would the show 'Lost' drop a death storyline just because say the actor that plays Sawyer passed away? I think not. Just my 2 cents. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, I just want to know why the general public trashes Pro Wrestling for being "fake" yet they precive it as real?
Old 06-25-07, 07:54 PM
Banned

I don't get this, Daniel and his wife was vomiting blood but when Chris gets there, Chris starts throwing up blood? It doesn't even make any sense
Old 06-25-07, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not the "death" that's over the top its the other imagery that went along with it. The mourning, the ten bell salute, the grieving interludes. Those have been used before when guys like Pillman, Owen, and Guerrero died and for them to use that for Vince lessens the REALITY of their real deaths.

They "killed off" Al Wilson a few years ago and no one really cared. It is all about the handling of it.
Old 06-25-07, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by viscera
Let me ask you all this though. In reference to the post quoted above, why is it not ok for a character (Mr. McMahon) to be "killed off" on a pro wrestling show; yet it is perfectly fine for a soap opera character to be killed off, or a tv star to be killed off, etc?? It is common knowledge by now that pro wrestling is a staged event. It is called a "male soap opera", so why is it not acceptable for WWE to produce a "presumed death" angle for Mr. McMahon?
For me, it was in bad taste to "honor" McMahon's character's death the same way a wrestler who REALLY died would be honored.

Also (to those in the know) wrestling straddles the line between reality and fantasy more than a soap opera does..
Old 06-25-07, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Revolution ,or whatever they were called when they came to WWE, were probably the highlight of my time watching WWE (was always an NWA/WCW fan). I loved to watch those guys wrestle and now 2 of the 3 (not including Douglas since he didn't come over are gone) It's disturbing.

On a side not Andrew "Test" Martin was on the Bubba the Love Sponge show today and he was obviously really broken up about the news.
Old 06-25-07, 07:59 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by viscera
I am floored by the tragic news! I idolized Benoit, I've met him several times and he has always been a class act!

As for the angle continuing, I'm sure they will drop it for good. I personally don't think it would be tasteless to continue on however. Would the show 'Lost' drop a death storyline just because say the actor that plays Sawyer passed away? I think not. Just my 2 cents. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, I just want to know why the general public trashes Pro Wrestling for being "fake" yet they precive it as real?

I think it ok to do a storyline, but it's the way they went about it. If you saw Smackdown the week the death storyline started, you will know what am talking about. It was a replica of the Owen Hart & Eddie Guerrero tribute shows, it was almost a slap in the face of any wrestler who died. I really think it took guts for Vince to come out tonight and drop the whole storyline.
Old 06-25-07, 08:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mok
I think it ok to do a storyline, but it's the way they went about it. If you saw Smackdown the week the death storyline started, you will know what am talking about. It was a replica of the Owen Hart & Eddie Guerrero tribute shows, it was almost a slap in the face of any wrestler who died. I really think it took guts for Vince to come out tonight and drop the whole storyline.
Big time, I have to give credit to Vince tonight, he did something right!
Old 06-25-07, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

God, I just heard this. I stopped watching wrestling for a few years, but Benoit was one of the greats who really stood out no matter who he worked with. Lots of wrestlers are great atheletes, but he could pull a good match out of almost anybody.

I remember seeing him and Dean Malenko wrestle some folks (it may have actually been Jericho/Guerrero, if I recall) at a show in Columbus, GA, in 1998 or 1999, back when they were with WCW. As I recall, he seemed really, really short in person, but once he got in the ring, you forgot all about that.
Old 06-25-07, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow. I've been out of the wrestling loop the last couple of years, but I'd heard about the Vince death storyline. I turned on RAW tonight out of curiosity and was shocked to see Vince in an empty arena, in bad shape.

Hearing that Chris Benoit was dead... I have very little words. He was always one of my favorite wrestlers, if only that he was both technically and dramatically fantastic to watch. Here was a guy who truly loved what he did, and brought the rest of us along for the ride. No matter what the match, everyone could always count on Benoit to deliver with satisfaction night after night.

I can only pray for those that were close to him - and that they will find comfort and peace at this terrible time.
Old 06-25-07, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow. I just got home and couldn't believe my eyes when I turned past Raw. Eddie and now this. Tragic. The greatest wrestler in the world gone, just like that.
Old 06-25-07, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

CNN-TV is reporting that the Chris Benoit family deaths are being investigated as a homicide. This is truly tragic if that's the case. I'm still in a state of numbness and I don't think this has really sunk in yet.
Old 06-25-07, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hall of Famer next year. He's in a better place now.
Old 06-25-07, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tnawrestling.com has a nice, though brief write-up about Benoit's passing. If Christian Cage dropped dead tomorrow, do you think the WWE would even mention it?

TNA MOURNS THE LOSS OF CHRIS BENOIT

Everyone in the TNA family joins the entire wrestling world in mourning the untimely passing of Chris Benoit, his wife Nancy and their son Daniel.

Many TNA staff and stars worked closely with Chris throughout his career and we are all shocked and saddened to lose a friend and legendary competitor. Benoit was considered a consummate professional both in and out of the ring. Please keep Chris and the Benoit family in your thoughts and prayers during this time of tragedy.
I have to give props to WWE for the way they've handled this but I still disagree with thier policy of basically ignoring deaths of non-active wrestlers.
Old 06-25-07, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

such a shame.

RIP.
Old 06-25-07, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by shacmasta
Un-fucking believable. My heart just sank when I went over to wwe.com as soon as I got home.
My exact reaction. Completely unrealistic and terrible. It's equivalent to NBA losing Michael Jordan..
Old 06-25-07, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can someone explain the deal with Kevin Sullivan? I haven't watched wrestling for a long time.

Very sad news.
Old 06-25-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 107 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by MrChaos
My exact reaction. Completely unrealistic and terrible. It's equivalent to NBA losing Michael Jordan..
What? I don't follow wrestling really at all, but wouldn't losing Hulk Hogan be like losing Jordan?
Old 06-25-07, 08:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MrChaos
No offense but that is a stupid statement seriously
Old 06-25-07, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Murder-Suicide.

Originally Posted by DVDFreaker
No offense but that is a stupid statement seriously
Are you saying this guy wasn't celebrated in the WWE arena? I'm not sure I understand. He's not saying he is in the same LEAGUE as MJ. I don't particularly follow WWE, but I understand the statement. If Benoit wasn't popular at all, then ok, I stand corrected.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 06-25-07 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-25-07, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Murder-Suicide.
Could you provide us with a link for this information?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.