Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Play a game with me. Hall of Famer or not?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Play a game with me. Hall of Famer or not?

Old 06-26-20, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: Play a game with me. Hall of Famer or not?

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
If I remember correctly, the Raptors and many other teams didn't think that he was worth the max cause he hadn't fully developed as a scorer like Kobe or KG had. T-Mac at that point was known for his defense although it was clear that he could score, but the question was about consistency. Orlando took a gamble on him because they were trying to recover from the lost luster the franchise had gone through after losing Shaq in 96 and then trading Penny. Orlando was also a good destination for players due to the tax breaks, something that the Raptors have had issues with when signing players. The Magic wanted to get 2 out of the 3 big free agents and it work well for them until Grant Hill didn't recover from that ankle injury he suffered when he was with the Pistons.

I still believe that T-Mac and Vince would have been a combination similar to Jordan and Pippen. With players like Oak, Antonio Davis and Kevin Willis or even Hakeem, they could have had a much better run than what ended up happening.
I think they offered him the max before the year was up, so even if the max went up after the season I don't think they would have balked just because of money, but they knew they were going to lose him (they shopped him briefly but he wouldn't commit to stay with the team that traded for him). It's not like they were going to get a premier free agent anyway. I don't think anyone really thought he'd turn into quite the player he did, but there were plenty of teams offering the max. He also says it's his one regret (though if Hill were healthy I'm sure that would have made things a lot different...like I said he basically played way too many minutes in those early years trying to make up for Hill being injured).

I don't know if they would have beaten the Kobe Shaq Lakers that next year (I think they would have beaten both the 76ers and Milwaukee to make the Finals) but even Kobe said he thought they would have won at least one title if they had stayed together. We sometimes forget because of his offense but McGrady was a beast defensively too.
Old 06-28-20, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

This Vince Carter talk led me down a Rasheed-Jamison-Stackhouse rabbit hole. UNC was cranking out some great players, and I’d forgotten how long their NBA careers lasted.

Last edited by davidh777; 06-28-20 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-29-20, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Is Matty Ice a Hall of Famer?

He has better stats than Eli though zero rings but should have gotten one in Super Bowl 51

He does not get the best pass protection but still finds ways to produce.

Old 06-29-20, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Is Matty Ice a Hall of Famer?

He has better stats than Eli though zero rings but should have gotten one in Super Bowl 51

He does not get the best pass protection but still finds ways to produce.

Without looking up stats but just on gut feel, no. Better stats than Eli doesn't cut it, I don't think Eli gets in with just one SB/MVP either.
Old 06-29-20, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Matt Ryan is already 10th in passing yards in NFL History,and if he just had average/median statistics for a QB 4-5 more seasons he might go top 3-5.
Old 06-30-20, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Matt Ryan is already 10th in passing yards in NFL History,and if he just had average/median statistics for a QB 4-5 more seasons he might go top 3-5.
Oh he can definitely get there, I just don't think he's a lock right now, especially with inflated numbers in the current era.
Old 06-30-20, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Oh he can definitely get there, I just don't think he's a lock right now, especially with inflated numbers in the current era.
Maybe not first ballot but guys who finish top 5-10 in stat accumilation and skill positions always get in (see tim brown,curtis martin,jerome bettis).
Old 06-30-20, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 481 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Maybe not first ballot but guys who finish top 5-10 in stat accumilation and skill positions always get in (see tim brown,curtis martin,jerome bettis).
Think that you are right. Warren Moon has neither an MVP nor a Super Bowl appearance and he's in.
Old 06-30-20, 03:24 PM
RIP

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Sad to see no love for Rob Deer
Old 07-02-20, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
Sad to see no love for Rob Deer
Rob Deer was the ahead of his time as a 2 way player (strikeout or homerun).