Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Mike Vick = Dog Fighting Pimp?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Mike Vick = Dog Fighting Pimp?

Old 07-26-07, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just heard Vick The Dick pleaded not guilty to all charges (no surprise).. I guess he didn't know what was going on in his own house....Sounds innocent to me!

Last edited by Wildo1966; 07-26-07 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-26-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Deion Sanders is a dumb ass. Mike Vick looks and seems like a asshole. I hope he gets a long setence, If found guilty I would give him life in prison with no parole. This guy needs to burn in hell.
Old 07-26-07, 03:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wildo1966
I just heard Vick The Dick pleaded not guilty to all charges (no surprise).. I guess he didn't know what was going on in his own house....Sounds innocent to me!
It's going to be a tough case... if you read the indictment, it sounds like everyone and their mother witnessed him and squeeled pretty quick to cover their own asses.

Anyone know what the minimum jail time is if he's convicted?
Old 07-26-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I really love the headline at FoxNews:

COURT PUTS LEASH ON VICK

Old 07-26-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by matta
It's going to be a tough case... if you read the indictment, it sounds like everyone and their mother witnessed him and squeeled pretty quick to cover their own asses.

Anyone know what the minimum jail time is if he's convicted?
I've been hearing between 3 and 6 years.
Old 07-26-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder why these rich people who face a good chance of going to prison just stick around and not leave the country.

Sure, the judge took away his passport, but what's to stop him from getting on a boat and sailing away?
Old 07-26-07, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ranger
I wonder why these rich people who face a good chance of going to prison just stick around and not leave the country.

Sure, the judge took away his passport, but what's to stop him from getting on a boat and sailing away?
He could get extradited and be in even more trouble? Plus, can't the fabibs freeze all his assets so he wouldn't have any dough and be forced into a life of poverty?
Old 07-26-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably $$$
Old 07-26-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They'd obviously freeze all his assets, and it's not like he isn't recognizable. Guys like this don't know how to lie low, he'd probably run away and try to go out clubbing the first night.

Old 07-26-07, 08:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dave99
They'd obviously freeze all his assets, and it's not like he isn't recognizable. Guys like this don't know how to lie low, he'd probably run away and try to go out clubbing the first night.
Isn't that how Dog caught the MaxFactor heir?
Old 07-26-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But I don't think they have frozen anything at this point. Maybe they are monitoring it.

I'd think someone rich like him would have a bunch of briefcases of cash laying around. Maybe not. One can only pawn off so much from dog torture gear.
Old 07-26-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd imagine money is only a (small) part of it. You'd have to be smart, resourceful and have the right connections, or at least know how to find them. I don't think vick has much of any of those.
But I don't think they have frozen anything at this point. Maybe they are monitoring it.

I'd think someone rich like him would have a bunch of briefcases of cash laying around. Maybe not. One can only pawn off so much from dog torture gear.
Old 07-27-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting development out of the arraignment yesterday -- the government is getting ready to file a "superceding indictment" against all four defendents that could add years to their trial. My hunch is that they roll up some RICO charges that could put Vick away for a long, long time. From ESPN:

The worse of those two news items for Vick came from Asst. U.S. Attorney Michael Gill, who told Hudson that the federal government will be filing a "superceding indictment" by the end of next month. Although legal experts can disagree on what might come in the new indictment, the federal prosecutors in Richmond typically add charges in superceding indictments. It is unlikely they will eliminate charges.

The message from the government prosecutors to Vick and his three co-defendants (Purnell Peace, Quanis Phillips, and Tony Taylor) was not subtle. Here's the message: We've already charged you with serious crimes. You might want to consider a guilty plea. We are going to file more charges next month. That gives you a few weeks to think about the guilty plea. If you come and talk to us about pleading guilty and testifying for us, there will be no more charges against you. If you do not, the charges and the potential punishment will grow quickly.

Although Vick is unlikely to respond to the pressure in that message, it is possible that one or two of the others could seek a lesser jail sentence, or no jail at all, in return for testifying against Vick.
From what I understand, the Feds have a solid case against Mike Vick. He would be smart to take the deal and turn state's evidence against other dogfighting rings. But even then, he'll be looking at some jail time, and certain banishment from the league.
Old 07-27-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

See, now that's something I really don't like -- prosecutors overcharging in order to coerce a guilty verdict on the "lesser" charge, aka what the person probably should've been charged with in the first place.
Old 07-27-07, 02:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NCMojo
From what I understand, the Feds have a solid case against Mike Vick. He would be smart to take the deal and turn state's evidence against other dogfighting rings. But even then, he'll be looking at some jail time, and certain banishment from the league.
If you read the indictment, it seems like it's too late for him. As it goes through the history of dog fights with which he's been involved, it lists the opposing kennels as "Cooperting Witness #1", "Cooperating Witness #2", etc.

It seems like they all turned on him first (as is to be expected).
Old 07-27-07, 02:24 PM
Banned

Have they started discussing a trial date? And change it might occur before the end of the season (in the next 6 months)?

If not, you'd have to expect them to suspend him for the season.
Old 07-27-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by matta
Have they started discussing a trial date? And change it might occur before the end of the season (in the next 6 months)?

If not, you'd have to expect them to suspend him for the season.
I thought they mentioned November.
Old 07-27-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trial is set for November 26 (the Monday after Thanksgiving). The judge basically said that he's not going to allow any shenanigans or worthless pleadings that would serve only to delay the trial.
Old 07-27-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

November is what was said on the radio yesterday. Don't remember the exact date but it's somewhere around Thanksgiving
Old 07-27-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also mentioned that they will only spend 1/2 day selecting a jury. Given the amount of media attention this has received, vs how quickly the judge likes to work, should make that day interesting to see.
Old 07-27-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder what the defense's voir dire is going to be like...

Do you own a dog? Do you like dogs? Does the idea of a dog being repeatedly slammed to the ground, doused with water, and then electrocuted bother you in anyway...?
Old 07-27-07, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by wildcatlh
Trial is set for November 26 (the Monday after Thanksgiving). The judge basically said that he's not going to allow any shenanigans or worthless pleadings that would serve only to delay the trial.
I don't see how on earth you can have a trial of this magnitude four months from now. Between discovery, depositions, investigation, motions, oral argument, etc., there's just no way without interlocutory appeals up the wazoo by Vick's lawyers for denial of DP.
Old 07-27-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And that was after he gave them an 8 week extension, the judges original date was early october/late sept.
Old 07-27-07, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Plenty of trials happen within 4 months. It's enough time. I haven't read the indictment, but if the issues are limited to conspiracy, 4 months is reasonable.
Old 07-27-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry if this is a dupe.

Looks like Vick has bigger problems than dog-fighting.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...ge_tab_newstab

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.