Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Tim Hardaway Hates Gay People

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Tim Hardaway Hates Gay People

Old 02-14-07, 10:20 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
JumpCutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: south of heaven
Posts: 13,540
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tim Hardaway Hates Gay People

Wow.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/16700045.htm


'I AM HOMOPHOBIC': 'I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people,' Tim Hardaway said.

Retired Miami Heat guard Tim Hardaway, known for his candor, said on a radio show Wednesday that he would not want a gay player on his team, would ask for him to be traded, and went so far as to say: ``You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States.''

Hardaway was a guest with host/Herald columnist Dan Le Batard on Sports Talk 790 The Ticket, and at the end of the interview, Le Batard asked Hardaway how he would deal with a gay player, in light of last week's disclosure by retired NBA center John Amaechi that he is gay.

''First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team,'' Hardaway replied. ``And second of all, if he was on my team, I would really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that is right. I don't think he should be in the locker room while we are in the locker room. But stuff like that is going on and there's a lot of other people I hear that are like that and still in the closet and don't want to come out of the closet, but you know I just leave that alone.''

Asked what he would do if he had a gay teammate, Hardaway said he would ask for the player to be traded or to be bought out of his contract.

''Something has to give,'' he said. ``And I think the majority of players would ask for him to be traded or they would want to be traded. Or buy him out of his contract and just let him go. Something has to give. If you have 12 other ballplayers in your locker room that are upset and can't concentrate and always worried about him in the locker room or on the court it's going to be hard for your teammates to win and accept him as a teammate.''

Hardaway is the first NBA player -- current or former -- to make anti-gay statements since Amaechi's news came out. In fact, most of the players and coaches quoted last week, including Heat center Shaquille O'Neal, were supportive of Amaechi and said they would not be bothered by a gay teammate.

What if the gay player were a great player, Hardaway was asked.

''If he were that great something would still have to give,'' he said. ``People would feel uncomfortable with that. If you're not gay, nobody in that locker room would feel comfortable with that person on your team.''

Amaechi probably will not be surprised when he reads Hardaway's comments. He said in a phone interview Tuesday he believes there is still a lot of homophobia in society and in professional sports locker rooms.

''We are much further behind than I'd like,'' Amaechi said. ``People in America and England [where Amaechi grew up] would like to think racism is over, sexism is over, and homophobia is over, but it's not. My coming out will show that gay people don't all look like Jack from Will and Grace. Some of us are big, athletic men, and that should be OK.''

Amaechi said he had not heard from a single former teammate or NBA player, that he had only heard from former coach Doc Rivers. He challenged straight athletes ''who feel able'' to stand up for gay rights.

''I would like professional male athletes to be active supporters, and that doesn't mean putting a rainbow decal on their car,'' he said. ``It means letting other guys in the locker room know that it's not OK to make gay jokes, that it's hurtful, and that it's not OK to be homophobic.

``But it's hard to get straight guys to step up. When men stood by women during the suffrage movement, they were called progressive and bold. When whites stood by blacks, they were heroes. But a straight guy standing up for a gay guy faces discrimination, and that's a big part of the battle we're fighting.''

Last edited by JumpCutz; 02-14-07 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-14-07, 10:27 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Work. Or commuting. Certainly not at home.
Posts: 17,816
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's just sad. Really.
Old 02-14-07, 10:33 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Riverside, California. USA
Posts: 1,554
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow Tim Hardaway has guts to say how he feels. Not sad at all. Keep in mind he doesnt speak for the other players in the NBA. So dont get worked up over this people.
Old 02-14-07, 10:34 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Work. Or commuting. Certainly not at home.
Posts: 17,816
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He has the absolute right to say how he feels. I have the absolute right to call him an asshole. That's the way freedom of speech works.
Old 02-14-07, 10:37 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Riverside, California. USA
Posts: 1,554
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct thats the way it works. Its harder online sometimes because of rules and moderaters censoring whats being said whether right or wrong. Moral or not moral. Tim had to do it in an interview.
Old 02-14-07, 10:42 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
DeanoBKN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5,336
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
What an asshole.
Old 02-14-07, 10:48 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ILikeDVD
Wow Tim Hardaway has guts to say how he feels. Not sad at all. Keep in mind he doesnt speak for the other players in the NBA. So dont get worked up over this people.
It's sad to me, that there are still so many people that feel that way let alone have no qualms going on the record about it.
Old 02-14-07, 10:49 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 11,339
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Has Hardaway ever watched lesbian porn?
Old 02-14-07, 10:52 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Shackled
Posts: 35,372
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ILikeDVD
Wow Tim Hardaway has guts to say how he feels. Not sad at all. Keep in mind he doesnt speak for the other players in the NBA. So dont get worked up over this people.
Guts? Why aren't you complimenting Shaq for saying what he feels or is it only the people saying assholish things who are truthtellers?
Old 02-14-07, 10:53 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Riverside, California. USA
Posts: 1,554
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have said "balls" but you guys would have too much fun with that word. Hahahaha.
As for SHaq, i hate Shaq. So happy to see him leave L.A. Too many injuries for the big fella. But thats another story.

Last edited by ILikeDVD; 02-14-07 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-14-07, 11:02 PM
  #11  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as a friend said....what a fucking dumb bastard.

It really chaps my ass when a fucking BLACK man says shit like this. If someone said "I don't like ******s. And if a ****** were on my ballteam, I would distance myself from them." ...I ask, would you say they had "balls?"
Old 02-14-07, 11:02 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 125,951
Received 197 Likes on 162 Posts
I couldn't care less about what Tim Hardaway thinks - about gay people or anything else.
Old 02-14-07, 11:09 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Riverside, California. USA
Posts: 1,554
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
as a friend said....what a fucking dumb bastard.

It really chaps my ass when a fucking BLACK man says shit like this.
But what about caucasian or other races? Not so much?At least you could have said ANYONE.
Old 02-14-07, 11:15 PM
  #14  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CALI!
Posts: 6,972
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gay is not a race.
Old 02-14-07, 11:18 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Riverside, California. USA
Posts: 1,554
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who said it was?
Old 02-14-07, 11:30 PM
  #16  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CALI!
Posts: 6,972
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The guy bringing up the BLACK example.
Old 02-14-07, 11:43 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Trencher's Farm
Posts: 2,037
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This is what happens when you put a microphone in front of a person whose sole achievement in life is a good jumpshot, and expect to hear something insightful,
or even interesting.

Fuck you, Tim.
Old 02-14-07, 11:56 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Work. Or commuting. Certainly not at home.
Posts: 17,816
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
The guy bringing up the BLACK example.
erm.... what the hell are you talking about?

RIF.
Old 02-15-07, 12:03 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
astrochimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 17,803
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mike7162
This is what happens when you put a microphone in front of a person whose sole achievement in life is a good jumpshot, and expect to hear something insightful,
or even interesting.

Fuck you, Tim.
Dont forget the crossover!
Old 02-15-07, 12:07 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: In the woods
Posts: 1,020
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike7162
This is what happens when you put a microphone in front of a person whose sole achievement in life is a good jumpshot, and expect to hear something insightful,
or even interesting.

He had a pretty famous crossover as well.

As for Tim's statements, you can listen to them on espn.com. If you have ever heard Tim talk before, you know he is pretty stupid/ignorant.

Tim needs to educate himself.
Old 02-15-07, 12:19 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Columbia Heights,MN
Posts: 474
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good for him, i hate gay people not because they take or give cock in the ass, but simply for the reason amaechi came out of the closet...he was washed up, lookin to make a buck, and took advantage of the pathetic media and what they consider a 'newsworthy' story nowadays.

In no way should amaechi be makin money off of him being gay, thats shitty in and of itself...

for the same reason people think paris hilton and lohan are crack whores for selling their bodies and exploiting themselves for the buck, the same could be said for amaechi...

now if the man was excellent at basketball he should be commended, hell, as a resident of MN, i thought esuro tualo..or however u spell his name, did a very good job of plugging up holes (no pun intended) on defense...im glad to see hes happy, but im not going to promote his way of life, or the way people exploit him for being gay.

but i think its fucked up, that again, the media and this amachei guy promote his homosexuality for money...people need to grow up and not even acknowledge these books, articles,and new stories or our sports world will continue to be polluted with items outside the realm of the game.

The same could of course be said for hardaway...geta life, no one cares,and theres no reason he should of even been asked that question,,, probably premeditated q and a that would get his name back in the media, while still keeping the lame amaechi story running...so tommorows news will be the players running to amaechis rescue and condemning hardaway...it'll just keep going til people just

SHUT UP AND PLAY BALL!

Last edited by Bell65; 02-15-07 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-15-07, 12:49 AM
  #22  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Gay is not a race.
It's just as natural as race.

And anyone who disagrees needs a slap of reality and sense.
Old 02-15-07, 12:50 AM
  #23  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bell65
good for him, i hate gay people not because they take or give cock in the ass, but simply for the reason amaechi came out of the closet...he was washed up, lookin to make a buck, and took advantage of the pathetic media and what they consider a 'newsworthy' story nowadays.

In no way should amaechi be makin money off of him being gay, thats shitty in and of itself...

for the same reason people think paris hilton and lohan are crack whores for selling their bodies and exploiting themselves for the buck, the same could be said for amaechi...

now if the man was excellent at basketball he should be commended, hell, as a resident of MN, i thought esuro tualo..or however u spell his name, did a very good job of plugging up holes (no pun intended) on defense...im glad to see hes happy, but im not going to promote his way of life, or the way people exploit him for being gay.

but i think its fucked up, that again, the media and this amachei guy promote his homosexuality for money...people need to grow up and not even acknowledge these books, articles,and new stories or our sports world will continue to be polluted with items outside the realm of the game.

The same could of course be said for hardaway...geta life, no one cares,and theres no reason he should of even been asked that question,,, probably premeditated q and a that would get his name back in the media, while still keeping the lame amaechi story running...so tommorows news will be the players running to amaechis rescue and condemning hardaway...it'll just keep going til people just

SHUT UP AND PLAY BALL!
Let's boil this whole post down to one sentence.

"I'm a straight white male and I don't give a shit or know about anything."

To be honest, the more I think about that article, the more I'm sickened by that man. I'm forwarding the story to all of my friends and family in the hopes that it will get out. The guy is a complete bigoted moronic asinine dickhead and someone needs to call him on his shit. I'd have ZERO problem walking up to his face and telling him that I'm a racist and I have a problem with black people and I don't want to breathe the same air as him.

Unfortunately, the irony would be lost on him and the sad part is that only one of us means it. After I'm done hating him, I'm sure I'll end up feeling bad for someone that ignorant.

But for now, what a fuckhead.

Last edited by digitalfreaknyc; 02-15-07 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-15-07, 12:52 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 22,979
Received 170 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Bell65
good for him, i hate gay people not because they take or give cock in the ass, but simply for the reason amaechi came out of the closet...he was washed up, lookin to make a buck, and took advantage of the pathetic media and what they consider a 'newsworthy' story nowadays.

In no way should amaechi be makin money off of him being gay, thats shitty in and of itself...

for the same reason people think paris hilton and lohan are crack whores for selling their bodies and exploiting themselves for the buck, the same could be said for amaechi...

now if the man was excellent at basketball he should be commended, hell, as a resident of MN, i thought esuro tualo..or however u spell his name, did a very good job of plugging up holes (no pun intended) on defense...im glad to see hes happy, but im not going to promote his way of life, or the way people exploit him for being gay.

but i think its fucked up, that again, the media and this amachei guy promote his homosexuality for money...people need to grow up and not even acknowledge these books, articles,and new stories or our sports world will continue to be polluted with items outside the realm of the game.

The same could of course be said for hardaway...geta life, no one cares,and theres no reason he should of even been asked that question,,, probably premeditated q and a that would get his name back in the media, while still keeping the lame amaechi story running...so tommorows news will be the players running to amaechis rescue and condemning hardaway...it'll just keep going til people just

SHUT UP AND PLAY BALL!
wow, and here I thought nobody was going to make a bigger fool of themselves in this thread than ILikeDVD already had.

Last edited by LurkerDan; 02-15-07 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-15-07, 12:53 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,161
Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts
Disgusting....

edit: anyone having problems accessing hotmail by chance?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.