Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

why do people like bobby knight?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 12-28-06, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i took part in a poll where 60% believed bobby knight deserved due recognition for his tying dean smith's record. why should this guy garner any respect from anyone is my question? cuz he won a shitload of games? there is more important things in life than winning b-ball games. he treats his players like shit from all the stories i have heard. There are great b-ball coaches out there that don't go to the lengths he does to ream into his players and treat a b-ball court like a warzone. some people need to get a clue.
Old 12-28-06, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by bhome83
i took part in a poll where 60% believed bobby knight deserved due recognition for his tying dean smith's record. why should this guy garner any respect from anyone is my question? cuz he won a shitload of games? there is more important things in life than winning b-ball games. he treats his players like shit from all the stories i have heard. There are great b-ball coaches out there that don't go to the lengths he does to ream into his players and treat a b-ball court like a warzone. some people need to get a clue.
Most of the players that have played for him liked him. That should tell you something.
Old 12-28-06, 06:05 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You have to be able to seperate the coach from the asswipe person
Old 12-28-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do think alot of what Bobby Knight does gets blown out of proportion due to his reputation. Most of his players like him, and would send their kids to play for him. I think that says a lot.
Old 12-28-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow
Most of the players that have played for him liked him. That should tell you something.

Yep - I think it is well more than 'most.' I believe that speaks volumes. I would have zero problem sending a kid of mine to play for Bobby Knight. He'll likely learn a lot.

Bobby Knight also did not have nearly the talent that Dean Smith had during his tenure. Granted, recruiting is part of college coaching, so Dean deserves credit for that.
Old 12-28-06, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Players like him, the parents of his players like him (see the uproar over him tapping the kid on the chin (okay, hitting, but still) earlier this season.... the media was trying to create something of it and the kid's parents and the player were saying it was nothing and they liked Coach Knight).

I'm a Syracuse alum and a Syracuse fan #1, but UNC is easily a #2... married a girl from North Carolina who's a Tar Heel through and through, and I'm not sure I would've been allowed to marry her if I had rooted for Duke... and I love Coach Smith... but Coach Knight is an incredible coach and deserves this.
Old 12-28-06, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, all of that, and in 41 years he has run a clean program and graduates his kids. Can't ask for much more in a coach.
Old 12-28-06, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Then again, he did mentor Mike Krzyzewski.

Yeah... you're right. He's trash. Doesn't deserve the record.
Old 12-28-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by WildcatLH
Nobody's perfect.
Old 12-28-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I won't hold Krazewski against him.
Old 12-28-06, 09:22 PM

ok...so i take it all those tirades he throws (throwing a chair across a court, physically reprimanding players for multiple things, verbally blasting into his team in the locker room (i heard tape of this and was awestruck). yes, i realize words are words, but shit, this guy sure as hell doesn't come across as a class act. then again, i guess i would have to play for him.
Old 12-28-06, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by WildcatLH

Yeah... you're right. He's trash. Doesn't deserve the record.
And he did help produce Isiah Thomas..
Old 12-28-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk God

"Class act" is a loaded term. It doesn't necessarily imply greatness.
Old 12-28-06, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Nobody's perfect.
Old 12-28-06, 11:34 PM
Banned

My memory of him is when he came to Puerto Rico in the 80s and mooned a referee and then hit a police man after a melee broke out. He must be a good tactician and a great coach to win all those games, even though I don't agree with his way conduct himself on and off the court.
Old 12-29-06, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never really liked him as a fan, but I've also never met the guy and find it impossible to judge him as a person or as a coach based on a few incidents that reach the media's attention. There's enough good things about him that I'm hesitant to put too much weight to some of the infamous incidents.
Old 12-29-06, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The media sensationalizes everything, and people like Knight get it even worse because they treat the media with the type of disdain they deserve, so shitbags like Lupica take their inferiority complexes out on them. That's not to say Knight's not an asshole who deserves a lot of criticism, just that "journalists" overblow every breath he takes into a national story, so it's hard to filter through it all. When you push all that other crap aside, though, he teaches fundamental basketball, runs a clean program, graduates players, and prepares the 99.9% of his kids who won't go to the NBA to be productive young men in society. Add to that the near universal loyalty to him from players, parents, and coaches, and the guy must be doing something right.

das
Old 12-29-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Knight is an asshat, pure and simple. He skates by because he wins. If he didn't win, his actions would be called intolerable and he would have trouble getting a job running the deep fryer at the local McDonald's.

People that would gladly send their kids to be coached by him disturb me, because what they're saying is that winning is all that matters. Learning how to properly conduct yourself and treat people with dignity and respect is not even remotely as important.
Old 12-29-06, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Someone obviously didn't get the memo on who Bobby Knight is.
Old 12-29-06, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
he teaches fundamental basketball, runs a clean program, graduates players, and prepares the 99.9% of his kids who won't go to the NBA to be productive young men in society. Add to that the near universal loyalty to him from players, parents, and coaches, and the guy must be doing something right.

das

I'll add...
His players aren't drafted. They -choose- to play for this man and there isn't a basketball player worth his salt that doesn't know who Bob Knight is and the history. Regardless of all that they go there because they know that he will push them to develop the most of their potential.

Would I want to play for him and/or let my kid play for him? I'm not sure. Part of me would really want to and part of me isn't sure I could take it.

But you can't dismiss him because you don't like his style or personality. There are a lot popular historic leaders in business, military, and every other segment of society that probably weren't any nicer but are revered all the same.

I have a lot of respect for him which shouldn't be seen as condoning of all his actions. But I respect the fact that he has his philosophy and way of doing things and doesn't back away from it. I think he got shafted at Indiana...hell they let him operate that way for 25+ years and then in a new age of political correctness and media saturation want to change the Zebra's stripes despite them getting fat off of it all along.

I don't respect Miles Brand for what he did or what's he's done in leading the NCAA now as a whole.

Plus, all we see predominantly in the media is the overblown negative stuff. We are rarerly, if ever, shown the positive reinforcement and encouragement he gives his players. He gives tough love, for sure, but he just wouldn't have that across the board loyalty if he wasn't reciprocating it back in some way.

Last edited by Nefarious; 12-29-06 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-29-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He is rough around the edges, but he:

1. ....has loyal kids who swear by him (that he swears at. )
2. ....graduates kids. Period. That f'ing bum Bob Huggins or a place like UNLV could only dream of getting their kids an education.
3. ....got the wins with less than elite talent

-p
Old 12-29-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by bhome83
ok...so i take it all those tirades he throws (throwing a chair across a court, physically reprimanding players for multiple things, verbally blasting into his team in the locker room (i heard tape of this and was awestruck). yes, i realize words are words, but shit, this guy sure as hell doesn't come across as a class act. then again, i guess i would have to play for him.
You'd never make it in the military. Knight is like an old fasionioned drill seargeant. A lot of people admire that "old school" approach to coaching. That's why so many parents don't have a problem with their kid being coached by Bobby Knight.
Old 12-29-06, 12:41 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Nefarious
I think he got shafted at Indiana...hell they let him operate that way for 25+ years and then in a new age of political correctness and media saturation want to change the Zebra's stripes despite them getting fat off of it all along.
They put up with him becasue he was winning. If he was still winning Big 10 championships and making deep runs in the tournament he'd stil be there. He hadn't won the Big 10 in almost ten years when they fired him.
Old 12-29-06, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by pedagogue
He is rough around the edges, but he:

1. ....has loyal kids who swear by him (that he swears at. )
2. ....graduates kids. Period. That f'ing bum Bob Huggins or a place like UNLV could only dream of getting their kids an education.
3. ....got the wins with less than elite talent

-p
This sums up what I was going to say. I think there is maybe even a bit of an underdog factor with him now being at that particular school.

Is he a jerk? Sure he is, but for some reason we love the jerks. If people didn't like them then Barry Bonds and Terrell Owens jerseys would never sell at all.
Old 12-29-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like Bobby Knight because he's a coach who sincerely cares about helping his kids, both in basketball and in life. He's not going to sugarcoat anything. Some people respond to a good pat on the back and a "You'll get 'em next time", while others need a swift kick in the ass and some profanity. I've never known anyone who could properly administer both sides of the motivation fence, so Knight does what he does best.

If I played college ball, I'd want to play for Knight, because I know that earning his praise and respect would really mean something.