Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Georgia Tech's 2007 National Championship Run

Old 11-16-06, 12:21 PM
Banned

Georgia Tech's 2007 National Championship Run

Yup, that's my prediction -- you heard it here first. They're 2 and 0 and on their way to complete and total domination in yet another major sport this year. Three of their 4 top scorers are freshman (with the fourth a sophmore) and they only have 1 senior on the roster.

This thread is for all things Georgia Tech basketball.

From ESPN:

Originally Posted by Mark Schlabach
Georgia Tech finished last season with a losing record. The Yellow Jackets lost to Illinois-Chicago, Georgia and Air Force and finished 4-12 in the ACC.

A year later, the Yellow Jackets are Final Four-ready.

Georgia Tech, more than any other team in the country, is poised to do what Florida did during the 2005-06 season: rise from an afterthought in the preseason to the team cutting down the nets on the final night of the NCAA Tournament.

The Yellow Jackets return six of their top seven scorers and add two of the country's top recruits: point guard Javaris Crittenton and forward Thaddeus Young. Georgia Tech has the right mixture of perimeter players (Lewis Clinch, Anthony Morrow and Mario West), a blossoming center (Ra'Sean Dickey) and a very deep bench.

More than anything, though, the Yellow Jackets are hungry to get back to the NCAA Tournament after getting embarrassed too many times last season.

"I think last season helped them grow up and motivated them to work harder in the offseason," Georgia Tech coach Paul Hewitt said. "That's a silver lining to going 11-17. There are a lot of guys coming back that are still stinging from that. It's motivating them to work harder to make sure it doesn't happen again."

Bob Donnan-US PRESSWIRE
Paul Hewitt shouldn't be surprised if Tech makes a significant NCAA run.
Last season's dismal performance came only two seasons after the Yellow Jackets finished 28-10 and lost to Connecticut 82-73 in the national championship game.

"We felt like we lost a lot of respect last year, not only from our fans, but from our opponents, too," West said. "We've got to build that back up."

How good the Yellow Jackets really are could be decided by how quickly Crittenton and Young grow up. Young, a 6-foot-6, 215-pound native of Memphis, Tenn., was named a McDonald's All-American and was ranked among the top 10 prospects nationally as a senior. He is expected to start at small forward immediately and might help form one of the ACC's best frontcourts with Dickey and junior Jeremis Smith.

Young scored 20 points, grabbed three rebounds and had five assists in a 96-52 exhibition win over Morehouse on Saturday.

Even though Young was so highly regarded, and might have entered the NBA draft out of high school if not for the league's new age requirement, Hewitt said he's a player who is eager to improve. When Young struggled with his shooting during his senior season at Mitchell High School in Memphis, Hewitt encouraged him to keep his elbow under the ball. A week later, Hewitt learned Young was on a scoring tear. Hewitt called his prized signee for a report.

"He said, 'Coach, I'm going to wait until you see me shoot,'" Hewitt said. "He never felt that he was quite good enough."

Hewitt said former Georgia Tech star Chris Bosh, now an All-Star forward with the Toronto Raptors, had the same work ethic.

"A lot of people ask me to compare [Young] to Bosh. He's a different player than Bosh," Hewitt said, noting that Bosh had a more refined post game but Young is a better ball handler and has better range on his jump shot.

Like Bosh, though, there is speculation that Young could play only one season for the Yellow Jackets before turning pro. Hewitt said he wouldn't be surprised if Young stays longer.

"I know him," Hewitt said. "I know he wants to be the best. I know he's focused on his academics and basketball. I know he feels like he's learning a lot during the practices. Don't get me wrong. He's talented. It's not like he's a project coming from the ground floor. He's a tremendous talent."

So is Crittenton, another McDonald's All-American, from Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy, which produced Orlando Magic star Dwight Howard. Crittenton, a 6-4 point guard, was handed the starting job when he stepped on the Georgia Tech campus this summer. He was widely regarded as one of the country's best point guard prospects after averaging 29 points, seven rebounds and nine assists, leading Southwest Atlanta Christian to the Georgia Class A state championship.

Zam Fredrick, who started at point guard last season, transferred to South Carolina after Crittenton signed with the Yellow Jackets. Crittenton scored 15 points on 5-for-8 shooting and had eight assists and four turnovers in the exhibition game.

"He's still got some things to do," Hewitt said. "He's still got a ways to go. It's his job, but that's not to say somebody can't come up and take it. That's always the deal in sports. He has to understand that as the point guard, he has to be reliable. He's got to do everything he can to be physically ready to play."

Hewitt wants a point guard who can push the pace in games. The Yellow Jackets struggled to do that last season, when they ranked next-to-last in the ACC in turnover margin and assist-to-turnover ratio. Fredrick had nearly as many turnovers (97) as assists (110).

"I just want a point guard that I know is going to defend the ball real hard and push the tempo," Hewitt said.

The Yellow Jackets can run more this season because they have more depth. Six players are back who averaged more than 18 minutes per game last season. Junior guard Anthony Morrow, the ACC's leading 3-point shooter last season, should return later this month after being sidelined with a stress fracture in his back. Clinch averaged nearly nine points and made 31 3-pointers as a freshman, and West started 17 games in 2005-06.

West, a senior from Douglasville, Ga., is one of the team's top defenders and will back up Crittenton at point guard. Mouhammad Faye, a native of Senegal who redshirted last season, might help improve the Yellow Jackets' perimeter shooting. Hewitt signed the 6-8 forward sight unseen, on the advice of a close friend who is an NBA scout.

"I think this team will probably be more like the teams we had at Siena," said Hewitt, who coached three seasons at the Loudonville, N.Y., school before leaving for Georgia Tech in 2000. "I think we'll have better shooting and longer players."

And better defense, if Hewitt gets his way. Georgia Tech's opponents shot 44.1 percent last season, second-highest in the ACC, and the Yellow Jackets had only 116 blocked shots, third-fewest in the league.

Dickey, a 6-8 junior from Clio, S.C., emerged as one of the league's better post players last season, averaging 16.8 points and 6.7 rebounds in the last 12 games. Smith, a 6-7, 232-pound junior from Fort Worth, Texas, is one of the league's strongest players and averaged 8.2 rebounds last season.

Two other freshmen, Zach Peacock and Brad Sheehan, will add depth in the post.

"It starts with defense," West said. "Defense is what got Georgia Tech to an ACC championship and the Final Four. We've got to get back to that."

If the Yellow Jackets do, they might get back to where they want to go -- and where the Gators ended up a year ago.
Link
Old 11-16-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And if they don't I'm sure this thread will be deleted.
Old 11-16-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to go out on that sturdy oak limb and guarantee that they won't win. You heard it here 1,233,223,546th
Old 11-16-06, 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
And if they don't I'm sure this thread will be deleted.
oh please
Old 11-16-06, 12:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jericho
I'm going to go out on that sturdy oak limb and guarantee that they won't win. You heard it here 1,233,223,546th
Want to put a wager on it? I'll take those odds anyday.
Old 11-16-06, 12:58 PM
Banned

Oh, and we Yellow Jackets are pro Bucknell. Go Bison!
Old 11-16-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matta
Want to put a wager on it? I'll take those odds anyday.
What odds? I see no stinkin' odds.
Old 11-16-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you know, matta, that your Jackets will most likely be left out of the BCS if they win out but so does Boise State?
Old 11-16-06, 03:53 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Did you know, matta, that your Jackets will most likely be left out of the BCS if they win out but so does Boise State?
Wouldn't winning out mean winning the ACC championship game and getting the ACC's automatic bid?
Old 11-16-06, 03:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Wouldn't winning out mean winning the ACC championship game and getting the ACC's automatic bid?
Yes, they do get the automatic bid if they win out.

And this isn't a football thread.

edit: in fact, they don't need to win out. They could lose the next two games, but as long as they win that last one, they're in.
Old 11-16-06, 05:38 PM
Banned

What odds? I see no stinkin' odds.
It looks to me that you offered

1 to 1,233,223,546

I'll put $10 on Georgia Tech, please.
Old 11-16-06, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nevermind, Maisel is an idiot. I was basing that off of this column:

The Ohio State-Michigan loser will get one at-large bid.

Boise State will get one at-large bid because it will finish ahead of the ACC champion in the final BCS standings.

Notre Dame will get one because it will finish no worse than 10-2 and because it is, well, Notre Dame.

That leaves one bid, with the most likely candidates being a two-loss team from the SEC, the Big East runner-up, and Oklahoma.

If Florida is 10-2, it will be coming off a loss in the SEC Championship Game after a string of uninspiring victories.

If Arkansas is 10-2, it will be after a loss to Florida.

That leaves the Big East runner-up. Does it take Rutgers at 11-1, which would mean it ended the season with a loss? Does it take a 10-2 West Virginia team after a loss to Rutgers? Does it take 11-1 Louisville?
That reads to me like Boise would get the BCS bid OVER the ACC champ due to finishing ahead of them. But then I look at his bowl projections, and he has Maryland in the Orange Bowl .
Old 11-16-06, 06:16 PM
Banned

That reads to me like Boise would get the BCS bid OVER the ACC champ due to finishing ahead of them. But then I look at his bowl projections, and he has Maryland in the Orange Bowl .
It reads that way to me, too.

And he is an idiot if he thinks that (1) Maryland will beat Wake Forest, (2) Maryland will beat Georgia Tech (after they already lost to Tech this season) and (3) Rutgers will beat West Virginia.

What will actually happen:
(1) Wake wins out the rest of their regular schedule
(2) Georgia Tech wins the ACC Championship and gets an automatic bid
(3) West Virginia beats Rutgers, which puts WVU in BCS
(4) Florida beats Arkansas in the SEC Championship and gets in the BCS

So, your BCS teams (in random order)

Georgia Tech (ACC)
Ohio State (Big 10)*+
West Virginia (Big East)
Florida (SEC)*
Texas (Big 12)
USC(Pac 10)
Notre Dame (at-large)
Michigan (at-large)+
Wisconsin (at-large)
Boise St (at-large)

* = national championship game
+ = man I hope I got these two switched

Last edited by matta; 11-16-06 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-16-06, 06:34 PM
Banned

Nevermind, Maisel is an idiot. I was basing that off of this column:

Wait a second.... he's got Rutgers at 11-1 and WVU at 10-2 with a loss to Rutgers, so he's saying that Rutgers will lose to Syracuse and beat WVU?

Edit: ohhhhhh.... he's saying that one or the other will happen and that which ever one loses will be the runner up. Man, someone needs to teach this guy how to write in a less confusing manner.
Old 11-16-06, 07:24 PM
Banned

Whoo, hoo. GT 103, Georgia State 74 -- and most of that was pitty points against the bench. Crittenton had 18 pts in the first half and sat out the rest of the game. Tech has hit the 100 mark in 2 out of 3 games this season and heads to Maui tomorrow to take on Purdue, followed by the Oklahoma - Memphis winner, and then UCLA - Chaminade - Kentucky - DePaul bracket winner.

Luckily, the Mighty Bucknell Bison are busy with Penn State.
Old 11-17-06, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks to me that you offered

1 to 1,233,223,546

I'll put $10 on Georgia Tech, please.
I said I was the 1,233,223,546th to say that Georgia Tech won't win the title. I never said anything about odds. What people say are not how they determine odds (in part because people talk a lot of crap). It's Vegas and how people bet their money that determine odds. I don;t recall mentioning either.
Old 11-17-06, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It reads that way to me, too.

And he is an idiot if he thinks that (1) Maryland will beat Wake Forest, (2) Maryland will beat Georgia Tech (after they already lost to Tech this season) and (3) Rutgers will beat West Virginia.

What will actually happen:
(1) Wake wins out the rest of their regular schedule
(2) Georgia Tech wins the ACC Championship and gets an automatic bid
(3) West Virginia beats Rutgers, which puts WVU in BCS
(4) Florida beats Arkansas in the SEC Championship and gets in the BCS

So, your BCS teams (in random order)

Georgia Tech (ACC)
Ohio State (Big 10)*+
West Virginia (Big East)
Florida (SEC)*
Texas (Big 12)
USC(Pac 10)
Notre Dame (at-large)
Michigan (at-large)+
Wisconsin (at-large)
Boise St (at-large)

* = national championship game
+ = man I hope I got these two switched
The Big 10 cannot have three BCS teams. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. No conference can. Of course you're making a lot of assumptions here (i.e. Texas winning the Big 12 game, USC beating Cal, and so on), but so be it
Old 11-17-06, 09:49 AM
Banned

The Big 10 cannot have three BCS teams. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. No conference can. Of course you're making a lot of assumptions here (i.e. Texas winning the Big 12 game, USC beating Cal, and so on), but so be it
Damn it, I missed that. Sub out Wisconsin and sub in Oklahoma.

And, yes, there are a lot of assumptions there. Anyone making BCS predictions is making a lot of assumptions.
Old 11-20-06, 09:56 PM
Banned

hmmmm.... 4 and 0. only 28 more games to go
Old 11-21-06, 09:55 PM
Banned

uhhhhhemmmmm......

#19 Georgia Tech 92
#11 Memphis 85

That is all.
Old 11-22-06, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just saw the highlights, horrible first half, but GT took over in the 2nd half. It looks like this year's GT squad has some finishers down in the paint, something that was lacking for the past couple of years.
Old 11-22-06, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk God

So, what happened tonight?
Old 11-22-06, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i think the preferred term is 0wned, by a superior team.
Old 11-23-06, 12:01 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by deadlax
i think the preferred term is 0wned, by a superior team.
Yup, one of many superior teams.

But as always, the regular season does not crown a champ. It's just a pre-season to get a decent seed in the tournament.
But still... Go Gonzaga
Old 11-23-06, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maryland is back and Georgia Tech will find out first hand on January 24.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.