Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

UFC 65 "Bad Intentions"-11/18/2006

Old 11-14-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

UFC 65 "Bad Intentions"-11/18/2006

Coming up this weekend...Getting pretty excited about this. Will we see the crowning of a new king at 170 or does MFS reign supreme at both WW and HW? I could go either way with Hughes-St Pierre, eventhough I have to give the edge to Hughes. I would absolutely love for Monson to GnP the shit out of Sylvia though.

Other fights on the card:

Brandon Vera Vs. Frank Mir
Alessio Sakara Vs. Wilson Gouveia
Brad Imes Vs. Antoni Hardonk
James Irvin Vs. Hector Ramirez
Nick Diaz Vs. Graison Tibau
Dokonjonosuke Mishima Vs. Joe Stevenson
Jake O'Brien Vs. Josh Shockman

Last edited by FantasticVSDoom; 11-14-06 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-14-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hoping to see Hughes and Timmy lose their belts.
Old 11-14-06, 05:03 PM

Sakara is fighting Drew McFedries, and Imes isn't on the card. Hardonk is fighting Sherman Pendergarst. it should be a very decent night of fights. I doubt Monson will be able to get anywhere near a takedown against Tim, unfortunately. He'll eat jabs all night and get put away within 2 rounds. I hope i'm wrong. Mir also looks to be in much better shape than he was last time, which could mean trouble for Vera. I like Vera, but i'm not sold on him being the next big thing yet. If he puts Mir away he should be next in line for a title shot. a fight with Sylvia would be real interesting.

Sakara should get a nice KO on his record. Stevenson vs. Mishima is an AWESOME fight that seems to be getting overlooked a bit. I think that could be the fight of the night. And its good to see Diaz is back, he always puts on a good show. I don't know who Tibau is, but apparently he lost to a guy named "Anaconda Anaconda."

Irvin needs to go away. the rest, who cares.
Old 11-14-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk God

The date of the fight is 11/18. Title date is wrong.
Old 11-14-06, 08:39 PM
Suspended

UFC - WORLD WELTERWEIGHT TITLE
8:30 PM

GEORGE ST PIERRE +125
MATT HUGHES -145

UFC - WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE
8:30 PM

JEFF MONSON +235
TIM SYLVIA -275

----------------------

I'll probably hedge the two underdogs against each other. I don't care if Sylvia has 10 feet arms, they won't help a bit when his uncoordinated ass is on his ass. Furthermore, I'll be waiting for the Mir/Vera odds to be released, as well as until I see how Mir's fat ass looks in the weigh-ins.

E
Old 11-14-06, 08:54 PM

someone posted a (supposedly) recent photo of mir on the UG and he looked to be in really good shape. much slimmer than he's been in the past. of course that means nothing if his cardio still sucks, but i think he'll make it interesting.
Old 11-14-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
The date of the fight is 11/18. Title date is wrong.
Yeah...I thought I changed that, I dont know why I put todays date so I emailed to get it fixed, my apologies. As with the other fights, I knew some didnt seem right, but this was in my email today and I did it while I was out the door from work.

Last edited by FantasticVSDoom; 11-14-06 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-15-06, 12:34 AM
Suspended

I was banned from the UG so I don't go around those parts anymore.

E
Old 11-15-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I really hope both titles change hands, but I think both champs will win. We can hope at least.
Old 11-16-06, 03:24 AM

The heavyweight division is a joke. I give it to Silvia because Snowman is such a lumbering mofo.

Hughes is one cocky guy. But he is rightfully so, because he's good, and not just overrated like Rich Franklin. Hughes is favored to win, but anything could happen. However, I just can't see GSP winning if Hughes takes it to the ground.

Last edited by TyroneJordan; 11-16-06 at 03:43 AM.
Old 11-16-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by MahatmaPetey
... Stevenson vs. Mishima is an AWESOME fight that seems to be getting overlooked a bit...
Agreed, thats the sleeper fight of the night. Two good grappling mma'ers. Mishima's never had to deal with elbows though, so that could be a factor.

Not a great card, good main event, good sleeper ^, the rest is either unknowns or iffy matchups.

My Picks

Matt Hughes Vs. Georges St. Pierre 2- I like GSP in this rematch. He actually held his own on the ground with Hughes before (except for one fight ending mistake) and his standup is loads better than Hughes. I'm banking on his learning from the first fight and becoming the new champ.

Tim Sylvia Vs. Jeff Monson- Sylvia's slow as shit. Monson's slow as shit and smaller. I really dont like Sylvia but this fight seems to be tailer made for him to win. He only has to avoid the takedown and its his fight with ease.

Brandon Vera Vs. Frank Mir- I'm not sold on Vera. I'm not sold on Mir's recovery either. I expect Vera to win, simply because Mir's conditioning was poor prior to his accident, now it looks even worse.

Alessio Sakara Vs. Drew McFedries- Mr. over-hyped, no ground game, cruddy boxer Vs. a Miletich-trained, no ground game, total nobody. Should be a crowd friendly, b-level, stand-up affair.

Joe Stevenson Vs. Dokonjonosuke Mishima- Solid, even matchup. I question Stevenson's guile, so I'll go with Mishima.

Nick Diaz Vs. Gleison Tibau- I'll go with Diaz because the other guy's a mystery.

Antoni Hardonk Vs. Sherman Pendergarst- Who Vs Who???

Jake O'Brien Vs. Josh Schockman- Again, Who Vs Who???

James Irvin Vs. Hector Ramirez- Dont care. Two C-level dudes.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 11-16-06 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-16-06, 04:34 PM

Meh, still give it to Hughes. The only person who can avoid Matt's takedowns are BJ Penn, but his conditioning was shit. I think Hughes is still in GSP's head, with all the taunting, immaturity, and first fight loss.
Old 11-16-06, 06:54 PM

there's an interview with Mir on the UFC site and he refers to himself as being 260 lbs. i take back anything i may have said about him having a chance. he will gas in under 3 minutes and get finished within 2 rounds.
Old 11-17-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zuffy
Hoping to see Hughes and Timmy lose their belts.

Can't wait for the GSP / Hughes fight. GSP I would put as the best all around athlete in the UFC. He definately has a good chance. I just hope this fight is good. I don't want a 1 or 2 round submission.

I want Hughes bloodied. Most arrogant person I think I've ever seen. Is he the best lb for lb fighter? Sure.. Does that give you the right to be a huge prick? No...

Major doubt Monson will beat Sylvia but I hope it happens so we don't have to see the big goon wear his belt everywhere..
Old 11-17-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was watching the UFC Unleashed last night. They showed the Hughes vs GSP fight. As Slumbering Fist said, GSP held his own in the ground against Huges. I can't see GSP losing this fight unless he get careless again and get submitted.
Old 11-17-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

See, I cant see Hughes losing unless he truly believes he can stand up with GSP...I hear him say this and think, "in what world?" But he said the same thing against Penn and after eating a few of his fists he thought better. One thing is for sure, GSP will come in ready and wont gas. The one thing Hughes does better than anyone else is stay patient and watch for his opening. We'll see. This should definitely be a monster fight.

Also, watched Sylvia train on the prelude, and I truly dont understand how he doesnt get his ass kicked all the time. He is the most awkward person I think I have ever seen. He looks like Baloo from the Jungle Book. I just hope Monson can take him down.
Old 11-17-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
See, I cant see Hughes losing unless he truly believes he can stand up with GSP...
Yeah, the past year or two Hughes has been talking about how great his standup has gotten and how he can KO guys... yet, as far as I can remember, Hughes has never came close to ko'ing anyone standing. If anything he's tried, got tagged and fought to take the fight to the ground. In his last two fights he looked good standing with Royce (who's stand-up is nearly non-existent) and BJ (but only after BJ gassed and seperated a rib in round two). Not good gauges, IMO.
Old 11-17-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm a huge Hughes fan, I hope he busts GSP up tomorrow night. I know Hughes can be brash and cocky, but he can certainly back it up and I think it's a huge part of his strategy. I thought it was pretty bush league what GSP said to Hughes 5 seconds after his win over Penn, I'm just concerned that there's nobody left to fight for the winner of this one. I'm mainly just hoping for a good enough fight to prompt a rematch.

I also hope that Sylvia kicks Monson's anarchist ass. I've read a few interviews with Monson and he seems like one hell of a pretentious prick. I can't really stand Sylvia either, especially when he wears his belt to corner other guys, but I'll just hope he gets his ass handed to him later. I just get the feeling that Sylvia wears that belt to buy groceries, get gas... I agree with the above post, he's just one awkward mofo.

I'm kind of surprised that Mir is getting another shot to rise in the heavyweights, it's not like there's anybody else there, but he looked TERRIBLE in those last 2 fights. He seems just done, stick him back as the third announcer and relieve Couture from his uncomfortable announcing hell. Just keep Goldberg and Rogan, I think those two are the best announcing duo in sports period.
Old 11-17-06, 03:36 PM

by the by, couture is in a submission wrestling match against Jacare tonight. couture will get subbed with ease, but i can't wait to see the video. it looks like a great card:

couture vs. jacare
jake shields vs. marcelo garcia
vladimir matyushenko (!!!) vs. vinicius magalhaes
alberto crane vs. joe camacho
andy wang vs. kron gracie
jeff glover vs. shane rice
rafael lovato jr. vs. robert camargo
mac danzig vs. allen zborovsky

for $10 you can watch the live webcast at www.prosubleague.com . It starts at 7:30 pm PST tonight, if anyone is interested. and these are all sub wrestling matches, if that wasn't clear.
Old 11-17-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MahatmaPetey
by the by, couture is in a submission wrestling match against Jacare tonight. couture will get subbed with ease, but i can't wait to see the video. it looks like a great card:

couture vs. jacare
jake shields vs. marcelo garcia
vladimir matyushenko (!!!) vs. vinicius magalhaes
alberto crane vs. joe camacho
andy wang vs. kron gracie
jeff glover vs. shane rice
rafael lovato jr. vs. robert camargo
mac danzig vs. allen zborovsky

for $10 you can watch the live webcast at www.prosubleague.com . It starts at 7:30 pm PST tonight, if anyone is interested. and these are all sub wrestling matches, if that wasn't clear.
Thanks for the heads up on this...Looking forward to see Garcia in action as well.
Old 11-17-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bravesmg
I'm a huge Hughes fan, I hope he busts GSP up tomorrow night. I know Hughes can be brash and cocky, but he can certainly back it up and I think it's a huge part of his strategy.
I'm with you. Hughes is cocky for sure, but he's a serious ass kicker. GSP seems like an amiable guy, but I hope Hughes wins so that he can give that guido, Matt Serra, a true beatdown in a couple of months.
Old 11-18-06, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I'm with you. Hughes is cocky for sure, but he's a serious ass kicker. GSP seems like an amiable guy, but I hope Hughes wins so that he can give that guido, Matt Serra, a true beatdown in a couple of months.
I don't even know how that 5 foot 6 inch wonder got so far. His takedowns suck, his punches are weak. It'll be rape to the tenth degree.
Old 11-18-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TyroneJordan
I don't even know how that 5 foot 6 inch wonder got so far. His takedowns suck, his punches are weak. It'll be rape to the tenth degree.
His takedowns comes from his strength. The dude is friggin strong. I guess his countryboy breakfast is really helping out.
Old 11-18-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zuffy
His takedowns comes from his strength. The dude is friggin strong. I guess his countryboy breakfast is really helping out.
I think that he was talking about Serra, not Hughes.
Old 11-18-06, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I think that he was talking about Serra, not Hughes.
Hehe, thanks for clearing it up. Serra would get rape by Hughes or GSP. The guy has no takedown and when he do get the takedown, he doesn't do shit.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.