Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

UFC 65 "Bad Intentions"-11/18/2006

Old 11-20-06, 04:27 PM

Booth w/o Rogan = teh sux. On all fighting recaps/replays, you ALWAYS hear Rogan's voice screaming some awesome lines.

As far as BJ, he is one of the most "natural" fighters in the UFC, a prodigy. If he takes his conditioning seriously, he can take it all. He would've beat Hughes' ass if he just ran a few more miles before the fight. Fool.

Hopefully Vera will take the title. I never want to see that big buffoon carry his belt around everywhere. I never want to see Monson again. I never want to see Frank Mir again.
Old 11-20-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Sorry. Double post.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 11-20-06 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-20-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by tbird2340
Anyone know what's up with Nick Diaz? I thought he was supposed to be on UFC 65 but he wasn't televised?
You answered it, his fight went on the prelims. They probably opted to show the HW prelim fight instead because that division needs help.

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Yeah, if Penn ever decides to take his training seriously and gets ready for a full title fight, he is dangerous. He is definitely a phenom and his skills are sick.
Yep. He just didn't seem have the fire anymore to train seriously. Too much hype and ego stroking too soon like that other "phenom" Vitor Belfort. He's said he's going to 155, and to do so would mean he'd have to train more diligently, so hopefully he'll fufill his promise at LW.
Old 11-20-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

None of you believe Penn hurted his ribs in round 2 as a factor on how he's acting in round 3? C'mon, that can't just be completely gassed. He was injuried.
Old 11-20-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by zuffy
None of you believe Penn hurted his ribs in round 2 as a factor on how he's acting in round 3? C'mon, that can't just be completely gassed. He was injuried.
I wouldn't argue that he wasn't injured, but if he is going to be contorting himself as if his bones are made of barely frozen jello, then separating a rib seems to just come with the territory. If he could have kept that fight with Hughes on its feet Penn certainly had a good chance, but he wiggled out of so many holds on the ground that something was bound to happen. Especially if he also gasses, which it seemed like he was starting to do prior to his injury, it just compounds the problem. I'm relatively new to Penn, I watched him with the UFC before he left, and have seen both fights live recently. He's impressive, but just doesn't seem to be able to finish anymore.
Old 11-20-06, 10:29 PM

this was the last fight on diaz's contract, and he signed with another organization. i doubt the ufc wanted to feature him on the PPV knowing that he was leaving.
Old 11-21-06, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TyroneJordan

The only thing I fear about the UFC is that there lacks a lot of talent in divisions. There's like only one main guy in each division. Welterweight is GSP, and no one comes close. Middleweight is Anderson Silva, no one in the horizon. Light heavyweight is Chuck, and Tito will get his ass beat. And heavyweight... well there is no one. Lightweight has a lot of guys, so expect a lot of rivalries.

WW is fairly stacked talent wise. GSP, Hughes, Bj Penn, Diego, Karo, Nick Diaz.

Edit Diaz is leaving?! Wow, too bad. Hes got all the skillz in the world. Hes just a bit of a head case who needs more experience.

Last edited by Thrush; 11-21-06 at 02:09 AM.
Old 11-21-06, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MahatmaPetey
this was the last fight on diaz's contract, and he signed with another organization. i doubt the ufc wanted to feature him on the PPV knowing that he was leaving.

Ahh... Now that makes sense. Very sucky... But makes sense.. Thanks!

Last edited by tbird2340; 11-21-06 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-21-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tbird2340
Ahh... Now that makes sense. Very sucky... But makes sense.. Thanks!
I still can't get over Diaz talking shit about Sanchez all the way up to the fight, then getting his ass handed to him, and continuing to talk smack. Every time he walked out there after that I wished much pain upon him. I guess it's always good to have a guy to root against, so I'll miss him in that regard, but he was one quality, first rate asshole.
Old 11-21-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea I didn't think he was a swell guy I just loved to watch him fight.. Almost like Hughes. I think Hughes is a huge prick but I love to see him fight..
Old 11-21-06, 04:30 PM

not deserving of its own thread, but i thought i'd mention it here...a list of fighters scheduled for Pride's NYE show:

Fedor vs. Mark Hunt

Yoshida, Fujita, Gomi, Nakamura, Misaki, Gono, Kikuta, Aoki, Ishida, Kawajiri, Minowa, Sakurai, Cro Cop, Barnett, Silva, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Shogun, Henderson, Arona, Melendez, Kang (i think he's injured), Hansen

Hopefully we get Henderson vs. Misaki III and Gomi vs. Ishida for the titles. the fedor/mark hunt matchup is a little disappointing...it would have been much better to see it after hunt beat cro cop, but oh well. that just means fedor fights either cro cop or barnett in vegas in february.

Last edited by MahatmaPetey; 11-21-06 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-21-06, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it for the belt? I hope not because my boy Crocop need another shot to get the belt from Fedor.
Old 11-21-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the GP winner was supposed to fight for the belt on NYE? See, this is the problem with Pride, too many of these "freak show" type fights, and no title defenses. The first Cro-Cop v. Fedor fight was a classic and Im usually against rematches, but this one needs to happen. But if they are waiting to do it in Vegas, that would be pretty cool.
Old 11-21-06, 06:07 PM

cro cop isn't 100% healthy and doesn't want to fight Fedor on NYE from what i've read. it will probably happen in february.
Old 11-22-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Really? Did he injured himself in training because I don't remember him having any serious injuries from the GP.
Old 11-22-06, 11:42 AM

i believe he had surgery on his foot sometime after the GP.
Old 11-22-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fedor vs Hunt confirmed? Interesting fight but I was really looking forward to Fedor vs Cro Cop 2.

I don't see Pride doing any title bouts in Vegas with the adjusted rules.

As for Cro Cop's injury, I may be wrong, but didnt he bust his shin up good on Wandy's head?
Old 11-29-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

anyone know where I can purchase a UFC 66 poster? the ufc.com store seems to be 5 fights behind on their merchandise.
Old 12-03-06, 11:23 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bravesmg
I'm relatively new to Penn, I watched him with the UFC before he left, and have seen both fights live recently. He's impressive, but just doesn't seem to be able to finish anymore.
Maybe that's your problem. The majority of Penn's fights have happened OUTSIDE of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

E
Old 12-04-06, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4
Maybe that's your problem. The majority of Penn's fights have happened OUTSIDE of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

E
Granted, which is why I haven't seen all of his fights. But before his sabbatical, he was a f'n machine. In the fights against GSP and Hughes, he had both of them right where he wanted them and couldn't get the job done. 2 fights doesn't make a definate pattern, but it's still something that he's got to overcome in that weight class if he sticks around the UFC.