Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

UFC 65 "Bad Intentions"-11/18/2006

Old 11-18-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Serra is an excellent 155'er. He really looked great at that weight. He's gone on record saying that he hates weight cutting so he's staying at 170, where, frankly, I dont think he has the strength to hang. His BJJ is some of the best in mma, but at 170 his grappling can be outmuscled. I agree, Hughes or GSP (and really either one could win tonight) will tear through Serra pretty easily.
Old 11-18-06, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Serra has great Jiu-Jitsu and that is what makes him formidable (at 155)...However hes not anywhere in the same league as Hughes or GSP. I wonder if they could just let him fight Sherk at 155 for the title instead (although I dont think he would be able to take Sherk because, well Sherk isnt a true 155er either).

Im just interested to see if Hughes wins this fight, will he move up to take on Sylva?
Old 11-18-06, 07:23 PM

serra may have great BJJ, but he's not a finisher, and that will cause a lot of problems when he fights someone he can't takedown. no matter how active he stays from his back, he'll have a hard time winning rounds in the UFC. hughes, gsp, sherk, stevenson, karo (as already seen), and diego would all give him fits. bj could potentially kill him, but their fight looked really similar to serra's fight with lytle, so it could also be extremely boring and close. he'd have great matches with guys like Diaz, florian, fisher, lauzon, etc, but i don't see him making any waves in either division.
Old 11-18-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone order this up? What's going on? I need an update. Thanks.
Old 11-18-06, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bad card.

Sylvia cruised and St. Pierre just put Hughes into la la land.
Old 11-18-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by thelwig14
Bad card.

Sylvia cruised and St. Pierre just put Hughes into la la land.
Ah fuck. I would have to agree with you on the disappointing results-I, like everyone else, hate Sylvia and I like Hughes(maybe he had a bad Jimmy Dean for breakfast). Oh well, thanks for the quick reply.
Old 11-18-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Ah fuck. I would have to agree with you on the disappointing results-I, like everyone else, hate Sylvia and I like Hughes(maybe he had a bad Jimmy Dean for breakfast). Oh well, thanks for the quick reply.
Hughes won't be able to beat BSP. He is too quick and too good of an athlete now for an aged Hughes. He went for the kill this time (which he should have done in the first fight and he probably would have won). BSP was cool as hell though and offered an immediate rematch. Hughes was gracious as always.
Old 11-19-06, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I refuse to watch another Sylvia fight...White should pay Fedor or Cro-cop, or anyone anything to come over to the UFC to kick his ass.

I am one of the few Hughes fans it seems anymore, but he just got his ass kicked. Very happy for GSP as I dont think there is a more deserving guy to win a championship. I think its time for Hughes to hang it up and go spend time with his family. He isnt going to beat GSP in a rematch, and there is nothing left for him to prove. Pierre will be champ for a looong time.
Old 11-19-06, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Slumbering Fist - Did Vera win you over? I've been impressed with him the last couple times I've seen him fight.
Old 11-19-06, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
I refuse to watch another Sylvia fight...White should pay Fedor or Cro-cop, or anyone anything to come over to the UFC to kick his ass.
I couldn't agree more. Sylvia didn't cruise, he just didn't lose. He stood back defended the take down and threw jabs. How frickin lame was that. 25 min of nothing, just like his last fight. He turned down a fight against Fedor but Dana Whilte will now need to step in and force him to fight a someone from Pride. By the way if you aught a glimpse of D. White's face while everyone was booing Sylvia you could see the disgust.

Hughes deserved to lose...I am a Hughes fan but he was way too cocky, he attempted 2 take downs and half heartedly at best. He "worked on his standup" sooo much he felt he could handle GSP and had it handed to him. Maybe that is the wakeup call he needed to get hungry again and go after him. Also I want to see Diego/Hughes soon and winner to meet GSP.
Old 11-19-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FUCK YEAH!!! Hughes got his fucking ass kicked.
Old 11-19-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, does GSP go against Serra next? That should be on Spike TV, putting that mismatch on PPV would be criminal.
Old 11-19-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by J-Dubya
Slumbering Fist - Did Vera win you over? I've been impressed with him the last couple times I've seen him fight.
Well, he's a finisher but I think he's a bit undersized for a heavyweight (though Couture, Crocop, Fedor and such are also smallish heavies). It makes him speedy, thats for sure, but he looks like a soft 225, I think he could make 205. I always reserve saying a guys great until I see him in trouble, a war, a come from behind victory, etc, but Vera keeps stopping all of his opponents They will match him up with Sylvia in March or April, bet on it. They have no other significant HW champ match.

Originally Posted by thelwig14
Hughes won't be able to beat BSP. He is too quick and too good of an athlete now for an aged Hughes...
I agree, but not because Hughes is old or wartorn. GSP just has Hughes number. GSP's a light years better striker, good conditioning, and has the size and savvy on the ground to keep Hughes at bay. This year GSP will murder Serra, rematch Hughes, and then possibly fight Deigo Sanchez, the only top UFC welter he didnt fight in his rematch rise.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 11-19-06 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-19-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow.. I jumped up and down like a giddy school girl when GSP KO'd Hughes. That was freaking AWESOME. Should shut Matt's cocky butt up for awhile.. GSP is a freaking animal. He is so well rounded and good at everything that it's flat out scary..

Totally agree with everyone about Sylvia. In his last two fights he did absolutely NOTHING yet in all his interviews he's "I'm going to go in there and knock their ass out".. Yea.. Sure you are.. You mean circle and throw jabs for 25 minutes.. Man that would be awesome if he fought Fedor.
Old 11-19-06, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tbird2340
Man that would be awesome if he fought Fedor.
Especially since Fedor would put Sylvia in a coffin.
Old 11-19-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Especially since Fedor would put Sylvia in a coffin.
That's the point ...I hope Vera could be a contender, but I think he is just a pudgy 205'er. He does seems to have some pretty good skills, and it doesn't seem like he would fear Sylvia, but for him to be in the type of shape fight 5 rounds for the title, I think he will be too small.

Anyways, I still don't get all the hate everywhere for Hughes. Yeah he is cocky, but I have yet to see one fighter who isn't. And its a sport where you kind of have to be. I understand that he can be off putting before a fight, but that's all part of his mental preparation and game. He is usually very gracious afterwards, winning or losing. In his defeat last night, he was a good loser and congratulated him. It was hard for me because its hard to root against GSP because 1) he seems to be a great guy, and 2) he is such a great fighter. I would say p4p the UFCs best. Last night was just a case of the next evolution of fighter taking the title. Hughes is great on the ground, but his stand up is shit and he got his ass kicked due to it. GSP can do everything well, so that's how it goes.
Old 11-19-06, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
That's the point ...I hope Vera could be a contender, but I think he is just a pudgy 205'er. He does seems to have some pretty good skills, and it doesn't seem like he would fear Sylvia, but for him to be in the type of shape fight 5 rounds for the title, I think he will be too small.

Anyways, I still don't get all the hate everywhere for Hughes. Yeah he is cocky, but I have yet to see one fighter who isn't. And its a sport where you kind of have to be. I understand that he can be off putting before a fight, but that's all part of his mental preparation and game. He is usually very gracious afterwards, winning or losing. In his defeat last night, he was a good loser and congratulated him. It was hard for me because its hard to root against GSP because 1) he seems to be a great guy, and 2) he is such a great fighter. I would say p4p the UFCs best. Last night was just a case of the next evolution of fighter taking the title. Hughes is great on the ground, but his stand up is shit and he got his ass kicked due to it. GSP can do everything well, so that's how it goes.
I have to agree. Hughes did show some class in his defeat, and I thought the guy was a good champ. I can see how people could dislike his attitude, but the dude always trained and fought hard. The eventual rematch could be interesting....I'd give the slight edge to GSP, but I don't it would be as one sided as most people here seem to believe.

The silivia fight was a complete waste of time. The UFC really needs to do something to get some hype back in that division.
Old 11-19-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't hate Hughes as a fighter but as a person, his personality sucks. The guy is constantly stirring shit up because he think he's untouchable.

When the rematch happen, Hughes will get his ass kicked again. Hughes' biggest asset is his strength, which makes his takedown/wrestling look good. I can't see how he can improve on his stand up against the GSP he fought last night. Penn has a better chance of beating GSP.
Old 11-19-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea, I'll say Hughes is one of the if not THE best pound for pound fighter out there.. I love to watch him fight but his ego / personality just got to the point I wanted to see him get KTFO..

I don't agree with the statement that every fighter is cocky. Sure, every fighter talks smack and I think that's more the UFC telling them what to say to build up the fights but Hughes is a true prick. The guy thinks and talks like he's god's gift to mankind.. Get over yourself Hughes..

Now, GSP.. He is a true class act..
Old 11-20-06, 04:35 AM

I've never seen anyone as lightning fast as GSP. Someone like Anderson Silva is quick, but he's more of the piercing, calculated fighter. GSP is like pure lightning. When Hughes tried to take him down, he was fucking jumping all over the place to avoid it, contrary to BJ, who looked like he was stoned, yet amazingly, masterfully avoided takedowns like a drunken master.
As far as striking ability, I don't think anyone can rival GSP except Anderson Silva. Of course both are very different. If they ever fought each other, DAMN.

AS FAR AS THE HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION, it is the biggest crud I've ever seen in my life. It's a joke! I mean bring the fricking pitbull Arvloski back, he was a hell lot more exciting with his fake teeth, and not these boring, overweight, pasty-skinned idiots who throw pitty patter jabs and "wrestle," more like make love as bonobos would. Dana seriously needs to start bringing in some serious talent back into the heavyweight. It's soooo unfortunate that the rising star Cheik Kongo was stopped by a relative unknown. BAH!

The only thing I fear about the UFC is that there lacks a lot of talent in divisions. There's like only one main guy in each division. Welterweight is GSP, and no one comes close. Middleweight is Anderson Silva, no one in the horizon. Light heavyweight is Chuck, and Tito will get his ass beat. And heavyweight... well there is no one. Lightweight has a lot of guys, so expect a lot of rivalries.
Old 11-20-06, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TyroneJordan
AS FAR AS THE HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION, it is the biggest crud I've ever seen in my life. It's a joke! I mean bring the fricking pitbull Arvloski back, he was a hell lot more exciting with his fake teeth, and not these boring, overweight, pasty-skinned idiots who throw pitty patter jabs and "wrestle," more like make love as bonobos would.
Did you see Sylvia's fight before Monson? It was with Arlovski.. It was the third time they fought and it was THE most BORING fight in UFC history!!

Now, I'm a huge Arlovski fan and can't wait to see him fight again (UFC 66 vs Marcio Cruz) but that fight was teh suck...
Old 11-20-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TyroneJordan
There's like only one main guy in each division. Welterweight is GSP, and no one comes close.
You're not giving Penn credit. A healthy Penn will give any fighters a problem. Talent wise, Penn and GSP are > Hughes. In the Penn vs Hughes fight, Penn pretty much exploited Hughes' weakness, his standup sucked ass. Even at the ground, Penn's BJJ was better than Hughes' wrestling.
Old 11-20-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A couple thoughts from the PPV. I said earlier in the thread that I hoped Hughes won, but he got completely destroyed. I've never seen anybody so ready to fight as GSP. He was un-freaking-stoppable, I'm not saying he's the best fighter in the world, but I don't anybody in his weight class could have stopped him Saturday night. I thought Hughes just looked flat overwhelmed. I think the rematch will be much closer and Hughes will know he can't try to stand at all. If he went for a takedown earlier, I think he may have had a shot. But he took so many blows before he even tried to take him down that he was practically out of it within 2 minutes.

That heavyweight snorefest was awful. I hope White does something about this, it's borderline disgraceful. They put that match on purely as a size gimmick and it bit them in the ass. It's hard to knock Sylvia since he is winning these fights but they are simply killing that division. If Sylvia did duck Fedor then fuck him, I hope Vera knocks his ass out.

Speaking of Vera, can we call this the end of Mir? I was a huge fan of his, but this just isn't the same guy. It's not even close. Put him back in the announcing booth where he was GOLD. When Rogan's not there my excitement for these fights goes significantly down, he's the only one that says what's usually going on out there.

I was also amazed by the McFederies (????) guy. He took some BLOWS from his opponent (don't remember who, the tatted up guy), and just kept going. I liked it a lot that his opponent just quit and fell down, I really enjoyed that.

Overall, I'd say it was worth the $40. Not great, but it was almost an honor just to watch GSP in that kind of condition. He looked like he would have died before he lost that fight, even if he was far from it. Very impressed.
Old 11-20-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, if Penn ever decides to take his training seriously and gets ready for a full title fight, he is dangerous. He is definitely a phenom and his skills are sick. But GSP is the total package so eventhough Penn has a slight edge in skills, his training and preparation push him way over when it comes to fighting.
Old 11-20-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone know what's up with Nick Diaz? I thought he was supposed to be on UFC 65 but he wasn't televised? UFC.com even had an article about him saying he was going to be fighting in his home town or some crap and they didn't even show his fight?

I love watching him fight even though he is one of the cockiest fighters.. Why would he get blacked out when a couple of the other fights had two no names? WTH?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.