Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Is the SEC as good as everyone thinks?

Old 11-13-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is the SEC as good as everyone thinks?

Now I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack and people are going to think I'm either stupid or just trying to stir the pot, but hear me out.

I'm not sure the SEC is as good as everyone thinks it is. There is always a lot of talk about how every game is tough and you have to bring your 'A' game every Saturday and countless other cliches about how much better it is than the rest of college football.

But I'm begining to think otherwise

In my new found opinion Florida having to rely on blocked kicks to beat a 5 win team at home isn't a sign of how good Florida and the SEC is...but its actually a sign that the top of the SEC isn't all its cracked up to be. Take Auburn losing to Georgia, who already lost to Vandy and Kentucky and looked completely dead for a month. LSU until they beat Tennessee hadn't beat a team with a winning record. Arkansas has only beat Auburn and no one else, their only tough non conference game they were destroyed for their only loss.

Now I'm not saying anything bad about the SEC, its probably the best conference, especially if you just count the top half...but I'm not ready to annoint it the best thing since sliced bread
Old 11-13-06, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought ark just beat tenn?

on other points, yeah, i agree that the sec's not great as some people make it out to be but i think there still are some good teams. i'm looking foward to the sec champ game which should be down to ark vs. florida.
Old 11-13-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk God

yes

**closing thread**
Old 11-13-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

opps forgot about the Ark v Tenn game. Arkansas is the most impressive team in the SEC, especially true if they can knock off Florida...and still got hammered by USC
Old 11-13-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff
yes

**closing thread**
brilliant rationale

I've seen the light!!
Old 11-13-06, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Frankly, given the lack of good interconference matchups, it is hard to gauge just how good conferences are nowadays in college football.

I remember a few years back when there were 4 Big-12 teams in the top 6 or 7 of the polls. Yet none had played even a mediocre team OOC. Just couldn't understand all the crowing, since there was no real basis for comparison. It worked out well come bowl-time though with inflated lines for the Big-12 teams. I think they went 2-6 or 1-7 ATS that bowl season.
Old 11-13-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by IMRICKJAMES
opps forgot about the Ark v Tenn game. Arkansas is the most impressive team in the SEC, especially true if they can knock off Florida...and still got hammered by USC

Who lost to Oregon state which means that Oregon State is the best team EVER!
Old 11-13-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

who lost to cal
Old 11-13-06, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to this logic eventually we can make Vanderbuilt the best team. So see the SEC is the best top to bottom conference.
Old 11-13-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
no!
Old 11-14-06, 12:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by twikoff
yes

**closing thread**
Agreed. And while we're at it... what's the deal with everyone bashing the ACC? Sure Miami and Florida State are rebuilding, but the following teams are in the Top 25:

Wake Forest
Georgia Tech
Boston College
Maryland
Clemson

That's almost half the conference, and doesn't include Miami, which has played well at points in the season.

Now compare that to SEC (4 teams in Top 25), Big Ten (3 teams in Top 25), and Big 12 (3 teams in Top 25). Sure The ACC doesn't have a Top 10 team, but talk about a well balanced conference where most of your wins are quality wins....
Old 11-14-06, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by matta
Agreed. And while we're at it... what's the deal with everyone bashing the ACC? Sure Miami and Florida State are rebuilding, but the following teams are in the Top 25:

Wake Forest
Georgia Tech
Boston College
Maryland
Clemson

That's almost half the conference, and doesn't include Miami, which has played well at points in the season.

Now compare that to SEC (4 teams in Top 25), Big Ten (3 teams in Top 25), and Big 12 (3 teams in Top 25). Sure The ACC doesn't have a Top 10 team, but talk about a well balanced conference where most of your wins are quality wins....
I think I love you. And you know which sentence I am talking about.
Old 11-14-06, 01:54 AM
Banned

No, any time Arkansas is one of the best teams, the conference has to be garbage.
Old 11-14-06, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Frankly, given the lack of good interconference matchups, it is hard to gauge just how good conferences are nowadays in college football. .... no real basis for comparison.
So how do we evaluate two teams who play in different regions against their own clump of local teams if they don't play each other, have no common opponents, or have no other meaningful basis upon which a determination can be made as to which is better?

Have them play off each other? Naah, that makes too much sense.
Old 11-14-06, 10:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quake1028
I think I love you. And you know which sentence I am talking about.
It's true. They seem to have Georgia Tech syndrome where they play up to their ACC-Champions billing one week and then play like a mid-major team the next week. I think with some tweeks, they'll have a good team next year.

....and this is coming from a Florida State/Florida fan.....
Old 11-14-06, 10:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
So how do we evaluate two teams who play in different regions against their own clump of local teams if they don't play each other, have no common opponents, or have no other meaningful basis upon which a determination can be made as to which is better?

Have them play off each other? Naah, that makes too much sense.
My 1028 team bracket seeding / 128 team championship playoff system recommendation still holds.
Old 11-14-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by matta

Wake Forest
Georgia Tech
Boston College
Maryland
Clemson

You forgot to mention Virginia Tech, so it's actually 6 teams in the Top 25 for ACC, and exactly half of the conference.
Old 11-14-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

ACC. Several good teams but nobody that really scares anyone in the top 10.

And yes, the SEC is very overrated.

Pac10 4 life
Old 11-14-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020
who lost to cal
Who lost to Tennessee...So Twikoff is right.
Old 11-14-06, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
ACC. Several good teams but nobody that really scares anyone in the top 10.
True, but should having 1 or 2 powerhouse teams define a conference as good? Look at Wisconsin... they're in a conference with 2 powerhouse teams, them, and a bunch of unranked teams. They were able to schedule only 1 of the powerhouses, so they'll finish the year with 1 loss and an overall moderate schedule that only includes one Top 25 team (their only loss).

On the other hand, if you're in the ACC, you're pretty much guaranteed to play 4 or more Top 25 teams, even with an easy Out-Of-Conference schedule.

Last edited by matta; 11-14-06 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-14-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
No, any time Arkansas is one of the best teams, the conference has to be garbage.
do everyone a favor and pick a team or STOP POSTING!!!!!!!!!

I guess you just learned how to spell garbage seeing as it's the only word you know how to use
Old 11-14-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are we sure that Arpeggi isn't a returning banned member?
Old 11-14-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

if lsu actually beats ark, think it'll say anything about the sec?
Old 11-14-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Arpeggi's loyalties -- on a year-by-year basis -- are listed in this thread for your convenience.

Of course, there are a few years a long time ago where he liked more than one team depending on who you ask but we won't hold that against him.
Old 11-14-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Who lost to Tennessee...So Twikoff is right.
who lost to Arkansas... who lost to USC... who lost to Oregon State... who lost to Boise State.... who lost to NOBODY.

I guess the transitive rule doesn't actually apply to college football... A>B and B>C does not mean A>C.

Next... proof that the Dayton Flyers are the best team in the country...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.