Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

WWECW / TNA / ROH wrestling 11/13-19 (TNA Genesis PPV and Prime Time debut)

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 11-13-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most importantly -

1 year ago today, Eddie Guerrero passed away. We've all complained about how McMahon has milked this tragedy over the past year, but I still think it would be classy to open up Raw with a brief mention of this being the anniversary of his death. Word has it that the day he passed away he was scheduled to win the Smackdown World Title at a house show, in order to take the belt off of Batista, who was injured and in need of surgery.

Roll Call of Champions:

RAW:
WWE Champion: John Cena (3rd title reign, defeated Edge on Sept 17 2006 in Toronto, Ontario)
Intercontinental Champion: Johnny Nitro (2nd title reign, defeated Jeff Hardy on October 9, 2006 in wherever the hell Raw was that week)
Women's Champion: Lita (4th title reign, defeated Mickie James on November 5, 2006, in tournament finals to determine who would hold the then-vacant belt in Cincinnati, Ohio)
World Tag Team Champions: Ric Flair & Roddy Piper (1st title reign, defeated The Spirit Squad on November 5 2006 in Cincinnati, Ohio)

ECW
World Champion: The Big Show (1st title reign, defeated Rob Van Damn on July 4, 2006 in Philadelphia, PA)

Smackdown
World Heavyweight Champion: King Booker (1st title reign*, defeated Rey Mysterio on July 23, 2006 in Indianapolis, IN)
United States Champion: Chris Benoit (3rd title reign**, defeated Ken Kennedy on October 10, 2006 in Jacksonville, FL)
Cruiserweight Champion: Gregory Helms (3rd title reign, defeated Funaki in a 6-man match that also included Jamie Noble, Nunzio, Paul London and former champion Kid Kash on January 29th, 2006 in Miami, FL)
WWE Tag Team Champions: Paul London & Brian Kendrick (1st title reign, defeated MNM on May 21, 2006 in Phoenix, AZ)

* - Booker's previous NWA world title reigns do not count as it was a different championship. The championship Booker held while in WCW ceased to exist when Chris Jericho unified the WCW and WWF titles. The current "world championship" is a new lineage.

** - 3 title reigns since the WWE revived the US title in 2003. Benoit also has 2 US title reigns when it was a WCW title.

Over on Raw, which comes to you taped from Manchester, England:

John Cena confronts Umaga, and anyone thinking that this will end in anything other than a DQ / Countout / No Contest... well, I have a bridge to sell you. Umaga is not going to be champ, and Cena is not going to end Umaga's "undefeated" streak on Raw right at the beginning of their feud. This will start the setup for their Survivor Series confrontation.

Edge & Randy Orton get another shot at Ric Flair & Roddy Piper's Raw tag team championship belts tonight. Piper doesn't have the ability to keep a full-time schedule, so expect a title change tonight (a nice stunt for an overseas show) or next week at the latest. This was probably supposed to be a way to promote the release of Piper's new DVD set (coming out tomorrow, and will be on sale at Circuit City for $14.99 next week). I say supposed to be, because they really haven't pushed it that much. Other former superstars like Jake Roberts, Billy Graham, etc got more promotion than Hot Rod did.

Jeff Hardy gets his rematch against Johnny Nitro for the Intercontinental belt.
Old 11-13-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Huge TNA Primetime Impact 2 hour debut this Thursday at 9pm!

Samoa Joe vs Jay Lethal

Tables Match
Team 3D vs The Naturals

Barbed Wire Steel Cage Match
Christian Cage vs Rhino

X-Division Title Match
AJ Styles (c) vs Chris Sabin vs "The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels

Angle's TNA wrestling in-ring debut
Kurt Angle vs Abyss

plus... The James Gang invade WWE HQ, The L.A.X. burn the american flag and NWA World Champion Sting, Sonjay Dutt, Eric Young, Johnny Devine, Matt Bentley, Kazarian, America's Most Wanted and much more!

- PLEASE, NO SPOILERS -

and this Sunday it's TNA Genesis PPV!

NWA World Title Match
Sting (c) vs Abyss

Samoa Joe vs Kurt Angle

NWA World Tag Team Title Match
The L.A.X. vs America's Most Wanted

More Matches to be announced on Impact!
Old 11-13-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

someone tell Roddy to tan, those pasty white legs are hideous!
Old 11-13-06, 05:10 PM

I can't wait to check out Impact, personally I think its gonna be very entertaining. Here's hoping they get some good ratings
Old 11-13-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More on the TNA controversy in CT.

Promoter Hermie Sadler said that despite having the venue booked 2 months in advance, he was told an "anonymous call" came in on Thursday and said that the venue should be inspected. As previously mentioned, the call was obviously timed so that there could be no appeal of the decision.

WWE denies any involvement, of course. I think there's a good possibility that they were involved, though. When things were more competitive in the past, before VKM took the WWF to the heights they're at now, there were all sorts of dirty tricks between rival promoters when they thought someone was trying to encroach on their territory.

There's also a good possibility that it was some jackass WWE fan that knew a last-minute call like this could cause problems.

With all that being said, though, the responsibility was still on Sadler to make sure that the building he was using was legally allowed to hold the number of people matching the tickets he planned to sell.

TNA used their unexpected free time to take The James Gang, or whatever they're called now, to WWE headquarters to film a new vignette. As we mentioned in last week's thread, this is just ridiculous, and will only serve to make TNA look like it's afraid of WWE. It's just like the political smear ads that we had to put up with the past several months, and TNA should be working on emphasizing their strengths instead of using two washed up wrestlers attacking the competition.
Old 11-13-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really love TNA, but Russo and the James Gang garbage really makes me ashamed of being a fan. Sad they seem to try so hard to destroy the company after overcoming so many odds.
Old 11-13-06, 06:43 PM

Hey come on guys, sometimes you gotta throw whatever you can at #1 in order to get to the top (though that's a long way to go). Give it a chance before you knock it down.

Anyway, we the internet guys might not like it, but its possible the casual viewer may eat this up. Like someone said, controversy creates cash.
Old 11-13-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Curse_7781
Hey come on guys, sometimes you gotta throw whatever you can at #1 in order to get to the top (though that's a long way to go). Give it a chance before you knock it down.
Yeah, but as I've said, the only time this is done is when you're afraid of your competition. The WWF didn't start mentioning WCW until when? When Bischoff started kicking their ass in the ratings. This type of bashing is commonly taken to mean "they're better than us, so we're going to attack them."

TNA doesn't need to be "throwing" anything at WWE. They need to put out their best product possible (which it seems they are trying to do), and rely on that to draw people in. The bashing just really comes off as petty.
Old 11-13-06, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Yeah, but as I've said, the only time this is done is when you're afraid of your competition. The WWF didn't start mentioning WCW until when? When Bischoff started kicking their ass in the ratings. This type of bashing is commonly taken to mean "they're better than us, so we're going to attack them."

TNA doesn't need to be "throwing" anything at WWE. They need to put out their best product possible (which it seems they are trying to do), and rely on that to draw people in. The bashing just really comes off as petty.
But it is true, TNA knows they are #2, so why do you guys keep saying like they don't.

Petty? Perhaps, but that segment more than likely wouldn't have taken place if the show wasn't canceled.

Like I said, the segment hasn't even aired and I talked to some people online that are already bashing it for the same reasons you just stated. Either some people are thinking the same thing or the internet is a small world after all.
Old 11-13-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

.... what makes me laugh more is james gang have so much time not because of that but because they suck so bad... AMW is da shit....

i just cant comprehend on the first show, you remind the spike fans that WWE is still around.... oh well
Old 11-13-06, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Old 11-13-06, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by raven56706
.... what makes me laugh more is james gang have so much time not because of that but because they suck so bad... AMW is da shit....

i just cant comprehend on the first show, you remind the spike fans that WWE is still around.... oh well
Yeah, if you're a wrestling fan you obviously know that there is the WWE when it comes to wrestling, yeah thanks for contributing to the conversation bro. *sarcasm*

Last edited by Curse_7781; 11-13-06 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-13-06, 07:21 PM

The point I making is this...The only reason I think TNA should start getting in a pissing match with WWE is because no one else is. The name of Bischoff's book was Controversy Creates Cash and that is 100% correct. The reason for the Monday Night Wars was Bischoff making some noise and people checked out his product. Not only was there controversy, but there was great wrestling in the form of the Benoits, Malenkos, Guerreros, and Misterios. TNA is shaping up to be in the same position WCW was in. They most certainly have the talent, they have a few big names, they have some buzz, and now they have the timeslot. Unfortunately, great wrestling is not going to be the only reason a casual fan tunes in. You have to give them a reason to tune in. Whether you like it or not, this VKM storyline is going to get some people talking. This supposed conspiracy(true or not) gets some people talking and that's a good thing. Positive or negative, it's possible some new people will tune in. As of late TNA has done a lot of stuff that should be causing people to tune in and the numbers haven't gone up. TNA is fighthing for survival right now, if ratings don't go up in primetime, who is to say TNA is even on Spike in a year, and if that's the case, TNA goes under. TNA badly needs WWE to acknowledge them, the more mentions they get on the internet, SpikeTv, casual fans, etc. the more likely some people will tune in to watch their show. That's all I'm saying, whether we like it or not, at least they are throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.
Old 11-13-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one :-)
Old 11-13-06, 08:23 PM

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one :-)
At least we're having a good debate

Last edited by Curse_7781; 11-13-06 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-13-06, 09:06 PM

Did anyone catch that TNA commerial during Raw? Awesome move by TNA.
Old 11-13-06, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I missed it, I've been running back and forth from my TV in the computer room watching Raw to the TV in my TV room to play Final Fantasy 12.

For those wondering why I'm going back and forth instead of using one TV for both, the TV in my room is a crappy little full screen model that doesn't do justice to FF 12, whereas the TV in my TV room isn't hooked up for cable, it's for games & DVD's, and FF 12 looks beautiful on a 42" widescreen plasma.

I assume the commercial was for the PPV? I figure it's not for the prime time debut, as I can't see USA accepting a commercial for programming on a competing network.
Old 11-13-06, 09:23 PM

I missed it, I've been running back and forth from my TV in the computer room watching Raw to the TV in my TV room to play Final Fantasy 12.

For those wondering why I'm going back and forth instead of using one TV for both, the TV in my room is a crappy little full screen model that doesn't do justice to FF 12, whereas the TV in my TV room isn't hooked up for cable, it's for games & DVD's, and FF 12 looks beautiful on a 42" widescreen plasma.

I assume the commercial was for the PPV? I figure it's not for the prime time debut, as I can't see USA accepting a commercial for programming on a competing network.
No, it was for the Primetime move.
Old 11-13-06, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just stick to the Final Fantasy. You know you're not missing anything on Raw.
Old 11-13-06, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, I'm amazed they allowed that one. Definitely something TNA needs to do more often.

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Just stick to the Final Fantasy. You know you're not missing anything on Raw.
I read the spoilers already so yeah... I knew it was pretty bad. I was mainly watching for the DX sketches. These sounded pretty good, as opposed to the recent crap they've been doing. I think I'm pretty much done with Raw for the night though.
Old 11-13-06, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well Lita just got knocked out with a sausage. I didn't even know sausages could do that to a person. It was pretty large I guess.
Old 11-13-06, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Well Lita just got knocked out with a sausage. I didn't even know sausages could do that to a person. It was pretty large I guess.
(slips into DX mode)

Come on, that's not the first sausage she's taken to the face, why was this one any different?
Old 11-13-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Once again, DX buries half the roster in one night. Not only buried them, but they all looked like complete morons. Sweet. Chris Masters looks like a monster as he destroys the legendary Jerry Lawler, and five minutes later his head is in a toilet bowl. How are Edge and Orton supposed to be taken seriously by the fans when DX doesn't? DX giggles, waves at them, and does the fake trembling, making E&O come across like shit. Even fucking Hulk Hogan made like he was concerned stepping in the ring against his challengers.
Old 11-13-06, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

USA didn't allow that commercial.

You probably saw a local commercial before and/or after it. it was probably in a block of locally-placed ads.

Besides the national commercials USA shows across the country, a portion of the ads are placed by the local cable company. TNA bought "local ads" via the cable companies... USA was out of the loop.
Old 11-13-06, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Once again, DX buries half the roster in one night. Not only buried them, but they all looked like complete morons. Sweet. Chris Masters looks like a monster as he destroys the legendary Jerry Lawler, and five minutes later his head is in a toilet bowl. How are Edge and Orton supposed to be taken seriously by the fans when DX doesn't? DX giggles, waves at them, and does the fake trembling, making E&O come across like shit. Even fucking Hulk Hogan made like he was concerned stepping in the ring against his challengers.

"Chris Masters looks like a monster as he destroys the legendary Jerry Lawler"

Are you actually saying that with a straight face? He looks like a monster because he beat up an out of shape announcer? Yeah, he's a monster just like Umaga is a monster because he managed to somehow destroy Maria last week.

As for DX's attitude towards Edge & Orton, that's their schtick. They're disrespectful.

Can't really argue with the "half the roster" thing, but at least it was the bottom half. I mean come on... do you really see Haas, Viscera, Cade or Murdoch ever amounting to anything? As for the backstage antics, once again... how good are these guys? The Spirit Squad was turned into a joke a long time back. Chris Masters is a glorified jobber to the stars. I couldn't believe that they were still hyping up that his "Master Lock" had never been broken. And Eugene? Not really superstar material there.

The only travesty out of all of the above names could have been the Spirit Squad but, as I said, they were turned into comedy fodder a long time back and won't recover until the team has been broken up.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.