Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Gary Sheffield is What's Wrong With Professional Sports!

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 11-10-06, 09:56 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Now I know why he's been with 9 teams in his career ...

He's never happy. He signs a 39 million dollar deal with the Yanks 3 years ago, and complains 2 minutes after signing because of the contract having deferred money. He fired his agent prior to signing that deal so he wouldnt have to pay the commission, and then complains that the Yanks took him for a ride.

Recently, he stalks Steinbrenner outside a diner to complain about the Yanks picking up his option, and then threatens to retire (the biggest lie of all) if he's traded to a shitty team. Like he's give up the 42 million thats coming. Hee Hee.

Then, on top of it, Detroit is suckered into adding a 2 year extension to his current deal, because Sheffield whined and complained that he wont be a happy camper unless he has more years added ...

This guy was linked to Bonds and Balco, and should be eternally grateful that all these teams take a blind eye to it.

Sheffield is what's wrong with sports. I genuinely hate the guy.
Old 11-10-06, 10:05 PM
Banned

Good thread.
Old 11-10-06, 10:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vegasbaby
Then, on top of it, Detroit is suckered into adding a 2 year extension to his current deal, because Sheffield whined and complained that he wont be a happy camper unless he has more years added ...

Where did you get that information...?
Old 11-10-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by king slug
Where did you get that information...?

check espn.com
Old 11-10-06, 10:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by raven56706
check espn.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2656847

I don't see anywhere that says Detroit was "suckered" into giving Sheffield 2 years, and he whined and cried to Dombrowski about it....

Seems kind of sad though that I (being a lifelong Tigers fan) have to deal with everyone, Yankee fans mostly, saying how bad, and selfish Sheffield is. I've had to suffer through 12 straight losing seasons, and for once the Tigers finally have an outstanding season. Illitch is finally opening is wallet, that was formally reserved for the Wings, and is trying to make the Tigers a contender. As I remember, the last time Sheff, Leyland, and Dombrowski were togeather, it worked out just fine.
Old 11-10-06, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see anywhere that says Detroit was "suckered" into giving Sheffield 2 years, and he whined and cried to Dombrowski about it....

Seems kind of sad though that I (being a lifelong Tigers fan) have to deal with everyone, Yankee fans mostly, saying how bad, and selfish Sheffield is. I've had to suffer through 12 straight losing seasons, and for once the Tigers finally have an outstanding season. Illitch is finally opening is wallet, that was formally reserved for the Wings, and is trying to make the Tigers a contender. As I remember, the last time Sheff, Leyland, and Dombrowski were togeather, it worked out just fine.
So as a Tigers fan, you should wbe pissed that they gave away 2 prospects for this douche...
Old 11-10-06, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk God

i dunno
this is someone who has been a legitimate mvp candidate 3 of the past 4 seasons

I didnt have any problems with him at all when he was in atlanta.. i didnt like seeing him move to the yanks.. but I would welcome him back assuming he will be 100% healthy at the start of the season

wouldnt want to give up 3 pitchers though.. even if its just prospects, and not proven talent
Old 11-10-06, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by vegasbaby
Now I know why he's been with 9 teams in his career ...

He's never happy. He signs a 39 million dollar deal with the Yanks 3 years ago, and complains 2 minutes after signing because of the contract having deferred money. He fired his agent prior to signing that deal so he wouldnt have to pay the commission, and then complains that the Yanks took him for a ride.

Recently, he stalks Steinbrenner outside a diner to complain about the Yanks picking up his option, and then threatens to retire (the biggest lie of all) if he's traded to a shitty team. Like he's give up the 42 million thats coming. Hee Hee.

This guy was linked to Bonds and Balco, and should be eternally grateful that all these teams take a blind eye to it.

Sheffield is what's wrong with sports. I genuinely hate the guy.
Seems to me you could make a better case that the Yankees and the system in place in MLB that lets them spend almost an unlimited amount of money putting all-star teams on the field (whether they win it all or not) is a better example of what's wrong with sports.

We'll just take the fact that we've been "suckered" into adding a much needed huge bat to our line-up and you just keep track of the next all-star that the Yanks want to buy away from a teaming looking to cut payroll, ok?
Old 11-10-06, 11:31 PM

Sheffield made it very clear that he wouldnt be happy (AKA: He'd dog it), if the team that had acquired him wouldnt give him an extension. So, his threats seemed to have worked. To reitirate, I hate this guy.

He belongs in the Hall as much as Canseco does. The only difference is Canseco admitted to steroid use to sell a book because he knew that he wouldnt get in the hall anyway and he needed the money. To reitirate, I hate this guy.
Old 11-10-06, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Seems to me you could make a better case that the Yankees and the system in place in MLB that lets them spend almost an unlimited amount of money putting all-star teams on the field (whether they win it all or not) is a better example of what's wrong with sports.

We'll just take the fact that we've been "suckered" into adding a much needed huge bat to our line-up and you just keep track of the next all-star that the Yanks want to buy away from a teaming looking to cut payroll, ok?
If anything, the Yankees spending has proved that money doesnt buy a World Series title. Its been 6 years, close to a billion dollars in salary and they havent won since 2000 ...

Of course, because the Yanks are a billion dollar franchise and Randy Levine has a blank checkbook (Lets be real .... Steinbrenner doesnt run the franchise anymore. Unfortunately, George is completely out of it), they'll keep spending & spending because they can and the rules allow it. It doesnt hurt that they draw 50,000 a game even with the Devil Rays in town.

Last edited by vegasbaby; 11-10-06 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-11-06, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm suprised Detroit gave up that much for him. He's coming off a wrist injury and fast approaching 40. Yeah, he's generally been pretty good, but you should invest too heavily in injured 38 year olds. And not when they can sign someone else and keep the propsects.
Old 11-11-06, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Good thread.
Even better reply.
Old 11-11-06, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He may be a dickhead, but if he gives Detroit 30 HR and 100 RBI, he's worth the headache. I was hoping we'd get him to come to San Diego, but I wouldn't want to give him a 2 yr contract.
Old 11-11-06, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

if my team was lacking offense I would LOVE to have his production. Even at 37 (or is it 38?) he's still a solid #3 hitter who can put up 30+ and 100+ in any given season. If I were a Detroit fan I would be plenty happy. As a Yankee fan, I'd say good riddance because with a team full of offense he is expendable.
Old 11-11-06, 07:17 AM
Banned

Seems most of the athletes that act this way are black.
This could be because they have seen the injustice towards thier race thru out history, so they don't want to take any crap from anybody. And if this means acting the way they do so be it. And it shows also how they give in to the players like a guilt trip.
Teams should not sign players with attitude problems like T.O., Barry Bonds,Rasheed Wallace,etc..
Old 11-11-06, 11:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
So as a Tigers fan, you should wbe pissed that they gave away 2 prospects for this douche...

It was 3....and Sanchez was constantly hurt... The only one I was upset about was Whalen. All the young pitching Detroit has (Verlander, Miller, Bonderman, Minor, Zumaya, Tata) and combine that with Robinson, and Maroth, why wouldn't you make a deal for a big bat to give away a pitcher that was always hurt, and a prospect that might not go anywhere, Whalen on the other hand might actually go somewhere.

But that's ok, at least we didn't waste $45 mil just to get in contract negotations with one player...
Old 11-11-06, 11:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Teams should not sign players with attitude problems like T.O., Barry Bonds,Rasheed Wallace,etc..
I never saw Rasheed Wallace in steriods talk, never saw him demand a trade, never saw him work out in front of his house while doing an interview. Rasheed just plays the game with his heart on his sleeve, and gets a lot of crap for it. He's one of the biggest contributers, and has commited a lot of his own money to every community he's ever played for. He's constantly in touch with the fans, why do you think he's such a fan favorite in Detroit? It's completely unfair to group him with the biggest cheat in the game of baseball, and the biggest cry baby ever to set foot on a football field.
Old 11-11-06, 12:23 PM

Well,

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Seems most of the athletes that act this way are black.
This could be because they have seen the injustice towards thier race thru out history
Get in line and here's a tissue.
Old 11-11-06, 10:09 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

I remember when he was with the Brewers, he intentionally dogged it so he would get traded.
Old 11-11-06, 11:46 PM
Banned

I never saw Rasheed Wallace in steriods talk, never saw him demand a trade, never saw him work out in front of his house while doing an interview. Rasheed just plays the game with his heart on his sleeve, and gets a lot of crap for it. He's one of the biggest contributers, and has commited a lot of his own money to every community he's ever played for. He's constantly in touch with the fans, why do you think he's such a fan favorite in Detroit? It's completely unfair to group him with the biggest cheat in the game of baseball, and the biggest cry baby ever to set foot on a football field.

It was a good game. Both teams played hard.
Old 11-12-06, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yes, Sheffield is a douche. You're making millions playing a kid's game. Shut the f*ck up and be happy ya twat.
Old 11-12-06, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Come on - he's only made a $130 million playing baseball.

I can see why he's angry all the time - he's only in 7th place all-time for career salaries in MLB history!
Old 11-12-06, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

The reason he gets paid is because people watch it. He's just capitalizing, I'd do it in a heartbeat to.
Old 11-12-06, 11:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Cow
The reason he gets paid is because people watch it. He's just capitalizing, I'd do it in a heartbeat to.

Exactly. Professional athletes are like actors/musicians/etc.They are entertainers and we pay to watch them/be entertained. I don't see anyone complaining when an actor demands more money to make a film or a band asks for more money to play in a certain city.
Old 11-12-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No where close to the same. Gary Sheffield was not a free agent.