Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

49ers tell San Francisco mayor they plan to move

Old 11-09-06, 01:21 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

49ers tell San Francisco mayor they plan to move

11-08) 22:30 PST San Francisco (AP) --

The San Francisco 49ers ended negotiations with the city about building a new stadium and plan to move to either Santa Clara or somewhere else in California, The Associated Press learned Wednesday night.

Owner John York notified Mayor Gavin Newsom of the team's decision earlier Wednesday, a city official close to the negotiations told The AP on condition of anonymity because no announcement had been made.

Team spokesman Aaron Salkin declined to comment Wednesday night. Phone messages left on the office and cell phone of Lisa Lang, the 49ers vice president for communications, were not immediately returned.

The sides had been talking over the last few months about building a privately financed stadium at Candlestick Point that was going to be part of the city's bid for the 2016 summer Olympics.

The team's current lease at Candlestick runs through the 2008 season and the team holds three five-year options that could extend it through 2023.

The current stadium at Candlestick is one of the most run-down in the league, leading the team's desire to seek a new stadium with revenue-generation suites and luxury boxes. The plan to build a stadium also included public housing, retail and office space.

The city was not going to contribute any money to the stadium but was willing to possibly help with some of the infrastructure costs.

The 49ers headquarters are currently based in Santa Clara, located about 30 miles south of San Francisco.

Los Angeles and Anaheim also are seeking an NFL team. The mayors of the two cities met last month with new commissioner Roger Goodell to offer their competing plans to lure a team back to southern California.

Los Angeles city leaders want to build a new stadium within the walls of the historic Memorial Coliseum, featuring 200 luxury boxes and 15,000 club seats at a cost of $800 million.

Goodell also met with Anaheim Mayor Curt Pringle about his city's plans to sell the NFL 53 acres at the below-market price of $50 million to build a new stadium adjacent to Angel Stadium.

The Los Angeles area hasn't had an NFL team since after the 1994 season when the Raiders returned to Oakland and the Anaheim-based Rams moved to St. Louis.
Old 11-09-06, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Uh....that sucks.

-p
Old 11-09-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Santa Clara location would be great because of these advantages:

1) There's plentiful land (and parking space!) to build a new stadium.

2) Public transportation is not as bad as you think. Santa Clara Valley Transit Authority's (VTA) light rail line goes right in front of the proposed stadium site, and that line goes west into Mountain View, where it directly connects with the Caltrain commuter rail line from San Francisco.
Old 11-09-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If this really happen, York can just rot to hell forever.
Old 11-09-06, 09:46 AM
Banned

this is what Antonio Bryant thinks of that idea...

http://deadspin.com/sports/nfl/fred-...age-213546.php
Old 11-09-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope the Niners stay in the Bay Area, becuase I have a dream....
Old 11-09-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dom56

If this really happen, York can just rot to hell forever.
They may move, but they won't take the team name with them (ala baltimore ravens/cleveland browns).

Although I am a niner fan, I bet if they did go to LA, SF/bay area would get a team much like cleveland did. And getting rid of York would be worth it! The team has gone completely downhill since he took over. Coincidence?
Old 11-11-06, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by grrrah
They may move, but they won't take the team name with them (ala baltimore ravens/cleveland browns).

Although I am a niner fan, I bet if they did go to LA, SF/bay area would get a team much like cleveland did. And getting rid of York would be worth it! The team has gone completely downhill since he took over. Coincidence?

Sounds familiar we had the same problem with Ken Behring when he owned the Hawks he wanted a new stadium and he threatened to move the team to LA if he didn't get it.
Old 11-11-06, 12:06 PM

San Francisco 49ers of Santa Clara
Old 11-11-06, 02:28 PM
Banned

I'd rather have the Saints move to LA than the Browns. Watching Reggie Bush back home with his fanbase would be insane ands great for the city of Los Angeles.