Reload this Page >

Hockey Night In Canada?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Hockey Night In Canada?

Old 11-08-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Hockey Night In Canada?

Is it true that it will be coming to an end?I heard from a guy at work that said his buddy said that another network would be covering hockey.
Old 11-08-06, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cant imagine it.
Old 11-10-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
No. Seriously, know, this has been a staple of Canadian TV for years. Hockey ratings are not low enough in Canada to end this type of programing. I mean, hey, it's not Basketball Night In Canada.
Old 11-10-06, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It might come to an end when the current contract ends. I think it's expected that CTV/TSN is going to outbid them.
Old 11-10-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to reports, it's pretty much guaranteed that this will be the last year on CBC (assuming that this is the last year of the contract). The NHL will be going CTV. The ratings do not justify the price that the CBC paid for the rights.
Old 11-12-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Yup. As movieking indicated, is very doubtful that CBC will offer the money that CTV/TSN is indicating of offering the NHL once the current contract expires especially with the CBC being a public broadcaster. That is how they lost the rights of the Olympics telecasts to CTV.

I heard that the only hope that CBC has of retaining "Hockey Night in Canada" is if the NHL will take "less" money for its TV rights or if CBC makes the NHL a semi competitive offer to them.
Old 11-12-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
No. Seriously, know, this has been a staple of Canadian TV for years. Hockey ratings are not low enough in Canada to end this type of programing.

Note that "La Soirée du Hockey" had been a staple on the french CBC for decades too, until a couple of years ago, when french sports channel RDS offered more money. Same thing will happen with english CBC.