Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Pet Peeves - Sports Edition

Old 11-07-06, 10:26 PM

Pet Peeves - Sports Edition

Here's mine:

1. A starter should not lose his job to injury

Tom Brady anyone? Kurt Warner. That Yankee that played all those games (sorry my mind is blank). If the next guy plays better he should start.

2. It's okay for an umpire to have their own strike zone as long as they are consistent.

No its not. There is a rule book. Follow it fucker.

3. Icing the field goal kicker.

I've never kicked a field goal, but I think it would be harder to run on to the field, set up the fg unit, and kick with the play clock running down than to go on the field and have the other team give you a break to "think about it" (Assuming the kicking team doesn't have any to's left) Also, by freezing the kicker, they might actually relax a little by being on the field for a couple of minutes and finding some good footing spots. And the Raiders taught us never to do this in the snow.

4. Two for one in the NBA.

Announcers make a huge deal about this when the quarter is winding down. Its no good if they rush the first possession and put up a bad shot just to get two possessions. It's better to run your offense and get a good shot and then go back and play defense.

5. Wide receivers.

6. NY Giants jump shot.

7. Praising Muhammed Ali's trash talking.

I don't necessarily have a problem with him, but he started it.

8. There needs to be more black coaches.

There is an increase in black coaches, but it takes time. You can't force it. We no longer hear about black qb's. I think part of it is management wants coaches with experience, and not necessarily whitey just doesn't want to hire blacks.

9. Basketball players with tattoos of basketballs.

10. Guys on sports shows who have to yell at me or have a gimmick.

Stu Scott, Michael Irvin, Shannahon Sharpe (it's hard to noggle voggle daus with all these marbles in my mouth), Woody Paige, Chris Berman...and the list goes on and on.

11. Monday Night Football conducting interviews to cross promote their shows during the freakin' game.

12. Sideline reporters in the NFL.

They hardly ever say anything semi-important, especially Tony Saragosa (sp).

13. Sportscasters mentioning their fantasy teams.

Ok, thats enough....for now.

Edit: thought of one more.

14. Starting pitchers cannot be considered for MVP, but relievers can.

Starting pitching have the biggest outcome on the result of the game and they pitch roughly 3 times as much as relievers. Closers, for the most part, only come in when their team has given them the lead. So they don't necessarily contribute to getting the lead, just holding the lead. Plus, you always hear the saying "good pitching beats good hitting every time"

2nd Edit: Ok, a couple more.

15. Sportswriters trying to make themselves part of the story.

ESPN (PTI, Patrick) suggesting that Ron Jaworski fired up the Jags and help them win b/c he called them mentally soft (or something like that).

I don't member exactly what he said, its been a couple of years, Mike Greenburg saying it was his commentary on the radio that lead ND to giving Weiss an extension.

16. NFL coaches attire.

Bring back the suits please. Like the classy NHL coaches and not the bum dressed in sweats look.

17. Commercials during races and football games that mention four hour erections.

Last edited by Lee Harvey Oswald; 11-07-06 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-07-06, 10:42 PM
Banned

1. NFL and MLB playoffs. Not because they are not exciting but because they are pure luck and the best teams in the regular season don't get recognized just because they lost a game or a series. Teams that were the best over a 16 game season or 162 game season should be viewed as highly as teams that get lucky for a short stretch.

2. anything ESPN

3. People who worship drug users like Lance Armstrong.

4. Andrea Kremer in HD, just gross, man.

5. B-ball players who can't shoot/can't play so "experts" say they are defensive-minded (big example of this is that no-talent assclown Bruce Bowen)
Old 11-07-06, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
1. NFL and MLB playoffs. Not because they are not exciting but because they are pure luck and the best teams in the regular season don't get recognized just because they lost a game or a series. Teams that were the best over a 16 game season or 162 game season should be viewed as highly as teams that get lucky for a short stretch.
I don't know if I agree with the luck theory. In football its hard to say who is the best during the season since all the teams don't play each other. A team like the Cardinals, who I believe had one of the worst records ever for a WS winner, I'm ok with (even though I hate the Cards). They made it through 162 game to get the right to play in the playoffs and won their three series to get their ring. Plus they had the best record the previous two years, so they have been a good team for a number of years.