Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Why are football games on the days they are

Old 11-02-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why are football games on the days they are

I've always wondered that.

I mean why are high school games on Fridays, college on Saturdays, and NFL on Sundays. Obviously there are other days as well, ie Monday Night Football or a college game on Thursday, but I'm just wondering way back when who decided on the days?
Old 11-02-06, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

King James I of England's Book of Sports (1618) instructs Christians to play football every Sunday afternoon after worship.
Old 11-02-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk God

College was first, so I assume they picked Saturday because 1) no classes on Saturday and 2) back then, doing anything on Sunday besides praying was probably verboten.

High school isn't all Friday night. A lot of high schools play Saturday games. My high school played mostly Saturday afternoon games.

NFL found an opening Sunday. It started before lighted stadia, so from a business standpoint, it made most sense to play Sunday since people weren't working that day and the more popular college game (at the time) occupied Saturday.
Old 11-02-06, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Red Dog is mostly correct.

College FB came first, and they played whenever they could, but for obvious reasons saturday became the primary day by WWI. Pro Football was established in the 1920s, and after WWII took over sundays when the religious restrictions were no longer prohibitive and in order to separate themselves from the college game. Likewise, Friday night games for high schoolers became popular because they could then have their own stage - as well as open up their weekends to attend college games.