Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Dallas Cowboys: It's a Busy Time

Old 10-27-06, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dallas Cowboys: It's a Busy Time

For Cowboy haters it does not get much better than this right now. Going 1-15 or some complacent 6-10 is satisfying but this has got to be much more enjoyable. A season aspiring for something good may end up being a catastrophic disaster. There is still time for the season to be salvaged, (hmmm, Mozilla 2.0 seems to have some sort of spell checker) but the betting money has to go on epic motherfucking disaster. And it only getting worse. An almost operatic step seems within reach.

The coach. The owner. The player. The QB. The other QB. Mix with the media on one of the most covered sports franchises in the world. Add some high expectations and payroll. Cook on high with continuous coverage, Thanksgiving coming and operatic moves on to biblical. They honestly seem like the most justifiable terms to use. As a fan it is an absolute horror in how this is unfolding. All the concerns and doubts are coming into play at the same time. And as each accident and problem and failure and big mouth takes a turn, they are causing more issues to happen.

The sky is possible. And the sky is black.

Notes:

1. The offensive line - Yes, it has been. Rivera was good. Never in Dallas. The whole crew looks like they just met last night over drinks. Some appalling work. And strangely not consistantly bad. But they show up for some games are are completely unable to pick up blitzes. A slow QB is one thing, but there are times this year where they seem to not want to stop someone.

2. The defence - Should and could be one of the top groups in the league. They seem to lack the leader they have lost since Darren Woodsen retired. And the leader on the defence cannot get burned deep this often.

3. The running backs - Julius Jones is not the answer. He can fill in for one now, but if you are looking to the future he is not in the top 10 backs in the game. Not even close. In no particular order: Rudi Johnson, Tomlinson, McGahee, T. Barber, S. Jackson, Alexander, Larry Johnson, Westbrook, Portis, Dillon. And I'm not even trying with this list. He breaks almost no tackles. He's too small. Barber offers a great changeup and together they make a great back. You gonna field the 2 of them all the time and bench a receiver?

4. The WR's - Leaving Owens out for a moment, Terry "Glenda" Glenn is a one trick pony. He runs long. It's like the dog from that Chevy Chase film, and that's all he does. Will not go over the middle and has bailed out on more balls than all the other receivers I have watched in Cowboy history together. Crayton's got some skill. Could be good.

5. The TE - Maybe a mobile QB will mitigate the horrific line work and allow Witten to catch some balls. He has been solely a blocker or decoy all year. Has been since Bledsoe came into town. An absolute waste of talent or a response to defenses winning the battle right now and keeping TE's on the line more often. Like the poor TE Gonzalez out in KC.

6. The QB's - Drew Bledsoe. On of my favorite players over the last 15 years. But has not been one for about 5 years now. Did not want him in Dallas for the obvious reasons and only able to accept him as it meant Vinnie Testaverde could stop playing QB for us. Drew does not have it anymore. And he has not had it for years. It's Tony Romo's time (I know someone here is very happy) and he should play out the year barring absolute disaster. Which I doubt will happen. He's had 4 years of prep. Obviously got some skill to survive this long. Let's see if the skill is more talent-wise than political. May not have actually started this year because of the owner more than the coach. Rumours seem to indicate that this is more of Jones - Parcells fighting over decisions.

7. The Journalists and Media - I take great exception to people who know very little and comment on a player as a person with such little knowledge. And with malice. The comments on Drew Beldsoe seem to be trying to prove the point that his failures on the field are an example of flawed character. The players on the Cowboys may feel that Romo is the man who should have his shot but I have rarely heard any comments against Bledsoe from teammates. He has been a man amongst men as a QB is supposed to be. And hid general failing is to try and give his WR's as much time to get open as possible. Not throwing to away to save himself.

8. The coach - When he first arrived in Dallas I had the same response any Cowboy fan would be expected to have.

"We finally have a coach."

After Switzer's and Galley's and Campo's it was somebody who had a pedigree. And someone who could fight the owner Jones and restore some order. What has been earned? 1 playoff game. 1 playoff loss. A largely rebuilt team, after waiting throughout the first year, that has a top flight defense in place. An offense that has had a shaky line for all 4 years, a motley crew of patchwork QB's. No running back acquired.

And a hand in a collection of drafts that can only be ranked as fair.
Since 2000:

http://www.drafthistory.com/teams/cowboys.html

Year No. Round Pick Player Name Position College
2006 1 1 18 18 Bobby Carpenter LB Ohio State
2 2 21 53 Anthony Fasano TE Notre Dame
3 3 28 92 Jason Hatcher DE Grambling State
4 4 28 125 Skyler Green WR Louisiana State
5 5 5 138 Pat Watkins DB Florida State
6 6 13 182 Montavious Stanley DT Louisville
7 7 3 211 Pat McQuistan T Weber State
8 7 16 224 E.J. Whitley C Texas Tech

2005 1 1 11 11 Demarcus Ware DE Troy State
2 1 20 20 Marcus Spears DE Louisiana State
3 2 10 42 Kevin Burnett LB Tennessee
4 4 8 109 Marion Barber RB Minnesota
5 4 31 132 Chris Canty DE Virginia
6 6 34 208 Justin Beriault DB Ball State
7 6 35 209 Rob Petitti T Pittsburgh
8 7 10 224 Jay Ratliff DE Auburn

2004 1 2 11 43 Julius Jones RB Notre Dame
2 2 20 52 Jacob Rogers T USC
3 3 20 83 Stephen Peterman G Louisiana State
4 4 25 121 Bruce Thornton DB Georgia
5 5 12 144 Sean Ryan TE Boston College
6 7 4 205 Nathan Jones DB Rutgers
7 7 15 216 Patrick Crayton WR NW Oklahoma State
8 7 22 223 Jacques Reeves DB Purdue

2003 1 1 5 5 Terence Newman DB Kansas State
2 2 6 38 Al Johnson C Wisconsin
3 3 5 69 Jason Witten TE Tennessee
4 4 6 103 Bradie James LB Louisiana State
5 6 5 178 B.J. Tucker DB Wisconsin
6 6 13 186 Zuriel Smith WR Hampton
7 7 5 219 Justin Bates G Colorado

2002 1 1 8 8 Roy Williams DB Oklahoma
2 2 5 37 Andre Gurode G Colorado
3 2 31 63 Antonio Bryant WR Pittsburgh
4 3 10 75 Derek Ross DB Ohio State
5 4 31 129 Jamar Martin RB Ohio State
6 5 33 168 Ralph Hunter DB Virginia Union
7 6 7 179 Tyson Walter T Ohio State
8 6 36 208 Deveren Johnson WR Sacred Heart
9 6 39 211 Bob Slowikowski TE Virginia Tech

2001 1 2 22 53 Quincy Carter QB Georgia
2 2 25 56 Tony Dixon DB Alabama
3 3 31 93 Willie Blade DT Mississippi State
4 4 27 122 Markus Steele LB USC
5 5 6 137 Matt Lehr G Virginia Tech
6 6 8 171 Daleroy Stewart DT Southern Mississippi
7 7 7 207 Colston Weatherington DE Central Missouri State
8 7 40 240 John Nix DT Southern Mississippi
9 7 42 242 Char-ron Dorsey T Florida State

2000 1 2 18 49 Dwayne Goodrich DB Tennessee
2 4 15 109 Kareem Larrimore DB West Texas A&M
3 5 15 144 Michael Wiley RB Ohio State
4 6 14 180 Mario Edwards DB Florida State
5 7 13 219 Orantes Grant LB Georgia

From 2000-2003 we got 3 good defensive players. And no offense at all. On the whole the drafts were terrible. And we reap the rewards now. No lineman that have come to play. Gurode ain't makin' no Pro Bowls. Gooderich drove over someone. 3or 4 of this years draft picks were just released/cut. Bad drafting will bleed you dead.

The coach may be gone after this year. And if it goes bad he very well might walk. He is a bully and a coward. His treatment of people is terrible. It's his style. But he can coach. And he's supposed to know how to prepare the team. But it appears to be collapsing around him. You take chances and his are not working out. Which leads to ...

9. The Owner: Jerry Jones - As a Cowboy fan I appreciate what he has done. If he could have kept his damn hands off the team they could have won at least 3 Bowls in a row, but not with Switzer coaching. And the ego that built them is killing them now. As a marketer and builder he is an exemplary example of business knowledge and chutzspah. But Jerry you don't know shit about building a football team. And all the great you brought has been mortgaged over the last 10 years. This is not Madden football. This is more important than life. This is football. And you should look to Al Davis for an example of how bad things can go if you are not able to step away. Hire the people to do the job. Stop foisting ideas and players on people who know better. And trying to make them work within this kind of framework. It's inherently flawed. And the team will know.

10. The Player - Speaking of self aggrandizing bastards. My Football Draft team is named "TO's Severed Head" and it explains enough. As a team we would have been better off with keeping Keyshawn (who behaved and played admirably and far better than expected) along with a decent lineman or two. I have not much followed Owens as been forced to see what he has been doing. As we all have had to. But his behavior in Dallas has been absolutely as bad as possible and immediately. I do not know if he will get through the year. Seriously. He senses the power problem between Parcells and Jones and is playing it for all it is worth. And it is causing him to behave badly from the very beginning. For Cowboy haters it is the perfect fit. A player of immeasurable talent on a team with too much press coverage. A lack of precisely defined power. And a QB controversy that he will exploit only for himself.

---As a fan it's the time where you reach with desire and faith and believe that all you have seen are steps that will make a team great. Things that had to be won and fought through to learn the lessons that let you carry on properly. Upon these tasks are character built. And hope. There is a good team here, but it must pass through some almost inconceivable obstacles. 3 road games starting in Carolina. I believe the kid can play QB. That given some balance we will see whether his judgment will improve. Whether he can throw a ball away. Or whether we did not sign (or even try) to get a Drew Brees in the off season 'cause the owner felt we had a QB on the team to lead us. A QB he helped choose and was not willing to look bad on by looking for options. This is a good group of players. On Sunday night I want to defesne to make a statement. Tony Romo to move and give the line some life and time to breath. They dig some holes for Jones and Barber to run and we make a move on the NFC. We lose this fragility that Bledsoe may have given us. Restore some faith.

And give the haters something to hate.
Old 10-28-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

no one cares.
Old 10-28-06, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jerry Jones admitting that he doesn't have a damn clue when it comes to quarterbacks is a start, at least.
Old 10-28-06, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm a Cowboys fan, and I knew when they went 3-0-1 in the pre-season, that, yep, they would disappoint in the regular season.

There's still 10 games to go though, although losing to Philly AND NY, we have a lot of room to make up in our division.
Old 10-28-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Can you pull out the REALLY important stuff....and then just post that...thanks!

-p
Old 10-28-06, 10:34 AM

As much as I hate the Cowboys, I do not want to hear about how much troubles they are having. I'm tired of TO, Parcells, Jerry Jones, and everything else.

I was astounded at how many pro analysts picked this team to goto the Superbowl or at least deep into the playoffs. I understand Irvin since he's a crackhead and a former Cowboy, but the rest? This was definitely the most overrated team going into the season.

I liked it better a few years ago when they sucked and didn't have to hear about it.
Old 10-28-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Bill f'd up hand-picking his QB. I think TO wasn't a bad pickup....he makes Terry Glenn even more dangerous. I don't care what people say, TO is very good, but TG is *the* guy in Dallas....he doesn't drop nearly as many balls WHEN IT COUNTS.

-p
Old 10-28-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry about your Browns brizz.
In my Football Draft I actually find myself with Jurevicious and Edwards. Does that help?

peddy I think it's all important. Although I bolded a few players from the draft.
Old 10-28-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
And his general failing is to try and give his WR's as much time to get open as possible. Not throwing to away to save himself.
That is one of the crazyist pieces of sports analysis I ever heard.

The Cowboys sucked from the get go Parcels is a tremendeous douch who luckily BUILT UP his ego coaching the giants rather than coming to the Giants with the ego.

God if bill was 10 years older and the Giants were his second job he would have cut Phil Simms and Lawrence Taylor so he could import some retreads from his previous town.
Old 10-28-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure what the crazy part is Tommy Ceez. It's bad English on my part. The comment deals with Bledsoe and his wish to hold the ball as long as he can so the play can succeed. And faith in his arm and the receivers to get open. Not known for having happy feet. (actually known for having lead feet) If he had ever learned to adapt and make a quick decision more often and throw the damn ball away when needed, he'd almost be the kind of QB he once was in NE.

Parcells did not cut anyone who didn't deserve it. We did not have any Phil Simms or LT. Actually no one has an LT. Greatest, dominant defensive player I have ever seen. Everyone knows the crew of QB's we've had tryout. And Quincy Carter is the sole QB drafted outside of Romo since 2000. Who do you think he released in Dallas that was undeserving?

And you just had some good ole boy fun yelling insults at the team. Which is, of course, understandable.

Last edited by Preacher; 10-28-06 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-28-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Preacher
peddy I think it's all important. Although I bolded a few players from the draft.

I know...it was jsut a lot, I felt like being facicious.

-p
Old 10-28-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry about your Browns brizz.
In my Football Draft I actually find myself with Jurevicious and Edwards. Does that help?

My Browns?
Old 10-28-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gone back to being a Lions fan? Thought you had split allegiances?
Old 10-28-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

have been a lions fan all my life, for better and mostly worse. When have I ever said anything about the Browns at all, let alone suggested I was a fan?
Old 10-28-06, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brizz
have been a lions fan all my life, for better and mostly worse. When have I ever said anything about the Browns at all, let alone suggested I was a fan?
It must have been the hat.
Old 10-29-06, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Amazing game to watch. Season on the line. Coach's future on the line. Watching Romo. 14-0 deficit to start.

The game seems to prove the point. Parcells has wanted to play Romo for awhile. Certainly to start this year, or at least earlier than he did. The end of last year may have shown him that Bledsoe was not the answer. But there appears to certainly be some pressure from the owner/manager Jerry Jones.

As a fan we look at someone in our uniform and wonder whether we are seeing only what we hope to see. Ignoring or diminishing the bad. Tonite Romo (incorrect before as I forgot he was undrafted) proved worthy of being the starter. None of the other guys outside of Bledsoe has looked as comfortable since Aikman left. It was a very good start in a game that was easily loseable.

And Parcells sideline happiness ( he kissed how many players? ) may be a view into his relief at how well this team might be able to play. And that Romo is the leader for this team. It is only one game. But as a fan it has been quite awhile since I felt this good. It has very little with winning and losing. They played well. The QB lead them well. And as the game went on the hope of faith and team building happened. The line blocked better. Roy Williams made a great pick. Some outstanding hitting on special teams. Jason Witten got to run over a few Panthers.

And the Cowboys season has some hope. On to Washington.
Old 10-29-06, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you see parcells cock owen's hat to the side? It was pretty funny, he did it, and Terrel had this big ass grin on his face. It wasn't quite the make out session that bill was trying to have with people, but that is a step.

-p
Old 10-30-06, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amazing game to watch. Season on the line. Coach's future on the line. Watching Romo. 14-0 deficit to start.

The game seems to prove the point. Parcells has wanted to play Romo for awhile. Certainly to start this year, or at least earlier than he did. The end of last year may have shown him that Bledsoe was not the answer. But there appears to certainly be some pressure from the owner/manager Jerry Jones.

As a fan we look at someone in our uniform and wonder whether we are seeing only what we hope to see. Ignoring or diminishing the bad. Tonite Romo (incorrect before as I forgot he was undrafted) proved worthy of being the starter. None of the other guys outside of Bledsoe has looked as comfortable since Aikman left. It was a very good start in a game that was easily loseable.

And Parcells sideline happiness ( he kissed how many players? ) may be a view into his relief at how well this team might be able to play. And that Romo is the leader for this team. It is only one game. But as a fan it has been quite awhile since I felt this good. It has very little with winning and losing. They played well. The QB lead them well. And as the game went on the hope of faith and team building happened. The line blocked better. Roy Williams made a great pick. Some outstanding hitting on special teams. Jason Witten got to run over a few Panthers.

And the Cowboys season has some hope. On to Washington.
Amen. That first quarter, I was about ready to give up on this team. Between the first and second quarter, it almost seems like somebody gathered the whole team and told them 'Listen guys, our season is in danger of going down the toilet if we don't get our asses in gear.' Then, those last three quarters were some of the best Dallas football in awhile. Definitely the best I would say they've looked all year long, all-around.

Hopefully they keep it up. We're still only a game behind the Giants, so hopefully we can run off 6 in a row and see what happens in the final month.
Old 10-30-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Great game. I really thought they would pack it in after going down 14-0.

Impressively the defense only gave up two scores and both were on short fields.

Interesting to see another team struggle. Panthers had as many drops last last night as Dallas did last week. And didn't the wide open drop by Keyshawn, remind you of the 4th & 2 wide open drop by TO last week?

I could be wrong, but I don't think Romo's play was a fluke. He looked steady. Really only on bad pass the entire game. He didn't look desperate, he didn't just throw the ball up for grabs. And thankfully, when he got sacked he just swallowed the ball, no twirling stupid throws. We got a punter averaging 50+ yards a kick, take a sack once and a while and reset. Just don't turn the ball over!

I was hoping that if Dallas could some how many to win 2 o3 of these road games we would be in OK shape for one final run or push. But I figured the loss would come last night. So who knows. Dallas "always" beats the Redskins, and then a trip to Arizona which is all but a home game for them. I'm pretty sure that after the the next two road games, they have 5 of 7 at home. It is setting up nicely, lets see if they can play it consistently, and get rid of some of those stupid penalties.
Old 11-05-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Forgot 1:

11. Can the high priced kicker forget the miss last year and solve your kicking problems that have been going on for a few years?

The answer now would be no. That kick went into a queue of Redskins as he got no lift on it. There were at least 3 that could have blocked it. It was a chipshot 37 or so yard kick. Just get it up. He choked like a midget hooker. Blew Romo's first "last 2 minute winning drive" and leaves us at 4-4.

I bet Parcells wants to just release the guy. Right now.

Last edited by Preacher; 11-05-06 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-05-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Forgot 1:

11. Can the high priced kicker forget the miss last year and solve your kicking problems that have been going on for a few years?

The answer now would be no. That kick went into a queue of Redskins as he got no lift on it. There were at least 3 that could have blocked it. It was a chipshot 37 or so yard kick. Just get it up. He choked like a midget hooker. Blew Romo's first "last 2 minute winning drive" and leaves us at 4-4.

I bet Parcells wants to just release the guy. Right now.
Don't blame it all on Vandy.

Parcells with the stupid 2 point conversation decision, T.O. dropping passes all over the place, the entire team continually getting every penalty known to men, and stupid playcalling. RB draw on 3rd and 26? Huh?

What a rollercoaster season. One week you think things are finally turned away, and the next week they piss away a win they should have had. Shoot me now.
Old 11-05-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At least it made the Giants squeaker look less pathetic.

-p
Old 11-05-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, Preacher, that game today has to just be like somebody stuck a hot fork into your gut and just twisted.

I'd feel worse for you if your Boys hadn't ass-raped the Panthers last week.
Old 11-06-06, 03:13 AM

TO You couldn't ask for an easier ball to catch than that. At least he owned up to it, but I'm getting sick of all the drops from a guy who runs his mouth as much as he does. I hate that he's on my team.
Old 11-06-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The best news for Cowboy fans is obviously Tony Romo. Playing in 2 of the hardest places us to play in he has performed very well. Far better than very well. His decision making and quick has been shown repeatedly. And yesterday the Redskins performed outstandingly well. Their first quarter was almost perfect. They easily earned alot of the win. Remember that we may be looking at a remarkable QB that had the time to really learn the system. And is now performing as if this is his team.

The losing of the game is important but far secondary to the QB performance and the future of this team. Owens continues to be a far greater problem. You can have the mouth and we will live it. But you cannot perform like this and expect to not lose your teammates. Can you imagine how they are looking at him now? The penalty. The drop. He wanted to go to the place with the most press coverage. And now everyone can see him fail. Which is what he is doing.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.