Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Pro Football HOF Class of 2007 - Who Deserves to Get In (First-Timers)?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-27-06, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the list of first-time nominees according to ESPN:

Paul Tagliabue
Terrell Davis
Randall Cunningham
Bruce Matthews
Randall McDaniel
Mark Stepnoski
Steve Wisniewski
Eric Allen
LeRoy Butler
Carnell Lake
Ricky Watters

Solid players the lot of them, but not alot of star power.

I would be shocked if Tags didn't make it. That bald idiot Dr. Z is quite vocal about voting against him, but I'm sure he'll embarrass himself as usual in the meetings and be in the scant minority.

Bruce Matthews was dominant for a decade. But the rest of this list is full of solid, pro-bowl type players, and no one who really dominanted his position.

This might be a small class this year. Hopefully some of the more deserving repeat nominees get stronger consideration (is this Art Monk's year?)
Old 10-27-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bruce Matthews should be a lock.
Old 10-27-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Matthews gets in for sure. He has to.

I'm with you that no one else stands out as a HOFer. Didn't McDaniel go the Pro Bowl like every year? Even so, he still doesn't stand out to me.

This should have been a poll.
Old 10-27-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk God

There is a quota each year, right? Are execs part of the quota?
Old 10-27-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

don't let TD in. please.
Old 10-27-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shizawn
Matthews gets in for sure. He has to.

I'm with you that no one else stands out as a HOFer. Didn't McDaniel go the Pro Bowl like every year? Even so, he still doesn't stand out to me.

This should have been a poll.
12 Pro Bowls in 15 seasons.
Old 10-27-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tagliabue is a given
Cunningham SHOULD be in, but he keeps getting passed over. I'm not quite sure why.
Matthews is in for sure

And, it's not his first time... BUT WILL THEY FRIGGIN LET ART MONK INTO THE HOF ALREADY?
Old 10-27-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm really interested in seeing how Randall Cunningham does in the voting. I think he presents an interesting debate.
Old 10-27-06, 04:27 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Tagliabue, Bruce Matthews, Randall McDaniel probably will and should get in.

I think Wisniewski is borderline, but probably not. Stepnoski's hard to judge becasue he was surrounded by other pro bowlers.

The rest get a
Old 10-27-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by MrX
Tagliabue, Bruce Matthews, Randall McDaniel probably will and should get in.

I agree.

Besides the Cunningham debate, you have the ongoing Crackhead/Monk debate.
Old 10-27-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone give me an argument against Cunningham going in. Please.

I know I'm biased towards him as an Eagles fan, but I really want to see a good argument.
Old 10-27-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by WildcatLH
Someone give me an argument against Cunningham going in. Please.

I know I'm biased towards him as an Eagles fan, but I really want to see a good argument.

I'll give an argument. Note this doesn't mean I think he doesn't belong. Frankly, I'd lean toward in for him simply because I think he was a trailblazer.

Look at his yearly stats. He had 3 outstanding seasons: '87, '90, and '98 and note that even Jeff George was great with those Vikings, so I think you have to consider that when looking at his '98 MVP season. That's it. He also had 3 good seasons in '88, '89, and '92. Is this body of work enough?

He also wasn't a great playoff performer. He also only had a 57% career comp pct.
Old 10-27-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good argument. He still goes in though.

As you said, he was a trailblazer. It was because of the success of Cunningham that we got Michael Vick and other QBs of that type. Before Cunningham Vick would've been a RB or WR in the pros.

Plus the 1990 season is one of the top 3 statistical seasons a QB has ever had in the NFL, IMO.
Old 10-27-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Terrell Davis had a Sayers-like streak of brilliance. He deserves strong consideration.
Old 10-27-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
Terrell Davis had a Sayers-like streak of brilliance. He deserves strong consideration.
Old 10-27-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk God

If memory serves, Sayers didn't have the kind of line TD had and I would be shocked if anyone could name the Bears starting QB when he played without resorting to google or some other reference. TD had a guy named Elway.

There is no way I would put TD in. He had 3, count'em, 3 great years. 1 additional good year.

Frankly, there's a good argument for Sayers not being HOF-worthy either.

Last edited by Red Dog; 10-27-06 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-27-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Matthews and Tags, yes.

Cunningham no. A good QB, groundbreaking with flashes of greatness, but not enough.

TD was great, but doesn't belong. Sayers is in there because people saw him run and said to themselves, this man is possibly the best to ever run with the ball. TD, people saw him run and said this man is possibly the best in the league right now. Big difference.
Old 10-27-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Matthews and Tags, yes.

Cunningham no. A good QB, groundbreaking with flashes of greatness, but not enough.

TD was great, but doesn't belong. Sayers is in there because people saw him run and said to themselves, this man is possibly the best to ever run with the ball. TD, people saw him run and said this man is possibly the best in the league right now. Big difference.
Agreed on all counts. A no to Cunningham and to TD (as much as that pains me to say ). If TD could have stayed healthy, I think he would have been a lock.

No way Cunningham gets in. He might have been a trailblazer, and I liked him a lot as a player, but he's simply not HOF material. He had 2 great seasons. That's it. I wouldn't call any year besides 90 or 98 great, and as said, that Vikings offense was a juggernaut with Jeff George as well. 88 was his next bext season, and that wasn't spectacular. If you look at his stats, he really only had 8 full seasons. He didn't crack 30,000 career yards passing. I just don't see how he can get in.
Old 10-27-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Agreed on all counts. A no to Cunningham and to TD (as much as that pains me to say ). If TD could have stayed healthy, I think he would have been a lock.

No way Cunningham gets in. He might have been a trailblazer, and I liked him a lot as a player, but he's simply not HOF material. He had 2 great seasons. That's it. I wouldn't call any year besides 90 or 98 great, and as said, that Vikings offense was a juggernaut with Jeff George as well. 88 was his next bext season, and that wasn't spectacular. If you look at his stats, he really only had 8 full seasons. He didn't crack 30,000 career yards passing. I just don't see how he can get in.
You're forgetting '87 was the strike season. He had 2800 yds passing, 500 yds rushing, 26 total TDs and 12 INT in 12 games. That's an outstanding season.
Old 10-28-06, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, but does an 8 year starting QB with 3 great years merit the HOF?
Old 10-28-06, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Quake1028
OK, but does an 8 year starting QB with 3 great years merit the HOF?

Like I said, I think it is a very close call. The fact that he was a trailblazer carries a lot of weight for me. Also, keep in mind, he was the Eagles running game and his receivers weren't what I would call great.

I think he's more deserving than Troy Aikman who had zero great years - right place right time.

Last edited by Red Dog; 10-28-06 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-28-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cunningham will probably get less support then he deserves. I don't think he's a HOFer, but he's on that first tier of guys that shouldn't get in, which right now includes guys like Simms, Esiason, and Krieg.

Davis shouldn't be all that cloe in my book, he's definitely not in. I'm much more impressed by a guy like Ricky Watters, who seemed to retire a few years early like Tiki's going to do. Watters shouldn't get in either, but he seems like a tronger candidate.

I would agree on Tags, Matthews, and McDaniel.

I'm pretty impressed by Eric Allen as well, although I don't quite ee him as a HOFer.

Vote Monk in '06!
Old 10-28-06, 11:42 AM
Banned

Tagliabue and Matthews are locks.

I'd vote for Terrell Davis. He was amazing when healthy (his first 4 years is among the best 4 year stretch of any RB in NFL history) and was the main reason Denver won 2 Super Bowls.
Old 10-28-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk God

The TD argument would work a lot better had Denver not continued to be a dominating running team after he was gone.
Old 10-28-06, 11:54 AM
Banned

Let's not forget his postseason stats.

8 games, 7 100 yard games, 204 carries, 1140 yards, 19 tds

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.