Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Georgia Tech's President sends out a Do-Not-Fight-With-Miami Email to all Students

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Georgia Tech's President sends out a Do-Not-Fight-With-Miami Email to all Students

Old 10-27-06, 09:43 AM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,215
Georgia Tech's President sends out a Do-Not-Fight-With-Miami Email to all Students

you know your team is full of thugs when the president of the opposing team has to send out a campus-wide email about sportsmanship. In the 8 years that I've been on this campus-wide email distribution, this is the first such email:


Originally Posted by G Wayne

Dear Students, Faculty and Staff:

Thank you all for your unwavering support of our undefeated and undisputed #1 Yellow Jacket football program during this fall semester. We have had an exciting year so far and much of our home field success is due to the atmosphere created by you, our Georgia Tech campus community. It is our hope that even better times are still to come.

This week, as you know, our Homecoming opponent is the University of Miami. Aside from being a festive and event-filled weekend, the game marks a critical showdown with one of our divisional rivals in the Atlantic Coast Conference. We encourage all students, faculty and staff to show the same passion and enthusiasm in supporting our team as always, but please remember also to demonstrate what good sports we are. Let's make a special effort to treat our opponent and its fans with the respect and dignity that sets Georgia Tech apart.

Remember that courtesy and sportsmanship should be a part of all of your weekend activities. And when the team needs your help on Saturday, be loud and be proud. Let's show the ACC and sports fans across the nation what a special place Georgia Tech is.

Sincerely,
Dr. G. Wayne Clough
President

Dan Radakovich
Director of Athletics
matta is offline  
Old 10-27-06, 10:03 AM
  #2  
Mod Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Gone to the islands - 'til we meet again.
Posts: 19,053
Originally Posted by matta
you know your team is full of thugs when the president of the opposing team has to send out a campus-wide email about sportsmanship. In the 8 years that I've been on this campus-wide email distribution, this is the first such email:

Or maybe, it's...

you know your team is full of thugs when the president of YOUR team has to send out a campus-wide email about sportsmanship.
Dead is offline  
Old 10-27-06, 10:10 AM
  #3  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,215
Originally Posted by Dead
Or maybe, it's...

you know your team is full of thugs when the president of YOUR team has to send out a campus-wide email about sportsmanship.
How many of our students have been suspended for fighting or using their helmets as weapons this year
matta is offline  
Old 10-27-06, 10:49 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 857
Wow, is that release out on the major sports web sites yet? That's one of the funniest things I've ever seen. It reminds me of the "do not feed" signs at the zoo.
harrydoyle is offline  
Old 10-27-06, 11:01 AM
  #5  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,215
Originally Posted by harrydoyle
Wow, is that release out on the major sports web sites yet? That's one of the funniest things I've ever seen. It reminds me of the "do not feed" signs at the zoo.
Nope, it was sent out on the list serve this morning. I'm sure there are other Tech students/faculty who can verify.
matta is offline  
Old 10-27-06, 11:19 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 857
Send it to ESPN.com, you could be the impetus for a topic on Around The Horn...an honor few ever realize!
harrydoyle is offline  
Old 10-27-06, 11:28 AM
  #7  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,215
Originally Posted by harrydoyle
Send it to ESPN.com, you could be the impetus for a topic on Around The Horn...an honor few ever realize!
I would if I knew how. The website doesn't have any email contact information for the talent.
matta is offline  
Old 10-27-06, 11:44 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,679
I read it as please treat UM players and their fans with respect and dignity.

Doesn't seem out of the ordinary.

But doubt any UM president has ever suggested that to their players.
Ranger is offline  
Old 10-27-06, 11:54 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 857
Just email it to the Sports Guy. He'll probably get it to the proper channels. Or maybe you'll make a Sports Guy mailbag instead.
harrydoyle is offline  
Old 10-27-06, 12:46 PM
  #10  
Mod Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Gone to the islands - 'til we meet again.
Posts: 19,053
Originally Posted by matta
How many of our students have been suspended for fighting or using their helmets as weapons this year

How many of their *students* have been suspended for fighting or using their helmets as weapons this year
Dead is offline  
Old 10-27-06, 12:50 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,624
Thank you all for your unwavering support of our undefeated and undisputed #1 Yellow Jacket football program during this fall semester.
September 2 No. 2 Notre Dame L 14-10
October 21 at No. 12 Clemson L 31-7

El Scorcho is offline  
Old 10-27-06, 12:56 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A suburbČ of Miami
Posts: 5,943
Originally Posted by Dead
Or maybe, it's...

you know your team is full of thugs when the president of YOUR team has to send out a campus-wide email about sportsmanship.
I'm a rambling roughneck from Georgia Tech and a hell of a musketeer.
Aghama is offline  
Old 10-27-06, 01:11 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chicago->D.C.
Posts: 6,524
If I was playing UM I would taunt them to no end since they will be 'kicked off' if they do anything wrong from now on.
Flashback is offline  
Old 10-27-06, 02:44 PM
  #14  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,215
Originally Posted by Ranger
I read it as please treat UM players and their fans with respect and dignity.

Doesn't seem out of the ordinary.

But doubt any UM president has ever suggested that to their players.
If they did it for every game, no it wouldn't be out of the ordinary. They don't send out these emails before the Georgia games, the Clemson games, or any of the other bad-blood games, but they do send it out when we're playing a team that we've only played twice (and nothing notable happen) in the last 10 years.

It really is a "don't feed the trolls" type email.
matta is offline  
Old 10-27-06, 02:46 PM
  #15  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,215
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
September 2 No. 2 Notre Dame L 14-10
October 21 at No. 12 Clemson L 31-7

Haven't I explained this before? Those were both wins, it's all an ESPN conspiracy. Where's Darknite39? He should have received the email as well.
matta is offline  
Old 10-27-06, 02:57 PM
  #16  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,215
Originally Posted by Dead
How many of their *students* have been suspended for fighting or using their helmets as weapons this year
Just because a football player majors in "general studies" or "football" doesn't make them any less of a student.




(Yeah, I know, only Ohio State has an actual Football major...)
matta is offline  
Old 10-27-06, 09:38 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,089
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
September 2 No. 2 Notre Dame L 14-10
October 21 at No. 12 Clemson L 31-7

Yeah, that line confused the hell out of me too.
TruGator is offline  
Old 10-27-06, 09:45 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: S.S.F. CA
Posts: 2,063
If there's a fight this weekend, is this thread going be deleted?
U6C84 is offline  
Old 10-27-06, 10:17 PM
  #19  
Mod Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Gone to the islands - 'til we meet again.
Posts: 19,053
Originally Posted by matta
Just because a football player majors in "general studies" or "football" doesn't make them any less of a student.


(Yeah, I know, only Ohio State has an actual Football major...)

Helllooooo, this is Miami we're talking about. You don't really believe those guys are students do you? They're paid professionals who simply pretend to be students!
Dead is offline  
Old 10-27-06, 11:47 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,679
ah, you guys crack me up. will be an interesting day tomorrow.
Ranger is offline  
Old 10-28-06, 08:06 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,089
Originally Posted by Dead
Helllooooo, this is Miami we're talking about. You don't really believe those guys are students do you? They're paid professionals who simply pretend to be students!
Actually, the admissions standards for Miami (for athletes) are harder than the NCAA requires. As such, a student-athlete could be denied admission to UM, but taken at most other D-I schools.
TruGator is offline  
Old 10-28-06, 10:16 AM
  #22  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,215
Originally Posted by TruGator
Actually, the admissions standards for Miami (for athletes) are harder than the NCAA requires. As such, a student-athlete could be denied admission to UM, but taken at most other D-I schools.
Georgia Tech is experiencing this now. The team's #1 recruit was denied admissions by the Institute for having too low of an SAT score. The athletics department paid for tutoring, but the rumor is that he may jump ship because of it. Frankly, that's probably a better thing. As someone who teaches a significant number of athletes, I can tell you that they get no special favors. Someone who can't meet the college's minimum standards is going to get bulldozed by the majority of students, and has a very low probability of graduating (or remaining academically eligible for that matter).
matta is offline  
Old 10-28-06, 10:17 AM
  #23  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,215
Originally Posted by TruGator
Yeah, that line confused the hell out of me too.
What? The liberal media got it wrong. End of story.
matta is offline  
Old 10-28-06, 11:04 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,207
UM.....until they get rid of their waste of a president (who can't actually administer a REAL punishment to their FB program) and crappy ass coach (who has led the slide to mediocracy)....they will always be thugs, and not even an ELITE FB team.

-p
NotThatGuy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.