Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Wrestling/Fighting Sub-Forum?

Old 10-24-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wrestling/Fighting Sub-Forum?

Can I respectfully request that Geoff and the mods consider the creation of a sub-forum specifically for threads for wrestling and fighting? I mean no offense to those who enjoy watching those activities, but they just seem out of place in the "Sports Talk" forum.

Professional wrestling is a form of choreographed entertainment whose main focus is maintaining its audience and profiting as a business rather than as a form of athletic competition. While enjoyable to a large segment of the population, wrestling is not a competitive sport in the same sense that the NBA, NFL, or even the PGA are.

I'm lumping fighting in with wrestling not because it isn't a competitive sport, but because it fills a niche that (to me) seems very wrestling-like. If the powers here at DVDTalk believe that wrestling and fighting are distinct enough to not both be included in the same sub-forum, I'd have no issue with that decision.

I expect I'll get flamed, but I'm not looking to pick a fight (fake or otherwise). I just think that the time has come for these forms of entertainment to move off to their own sub-forum, and I'm asking the bubbas in charge here to at least consider this request.
Old 10-24-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a fan of both and am not going to flame you. I don't think we need a subforum however since most weeks we only have 1 wrestling thread. There were more recently because of TNA'a PPV & Pride's U.S. debut.
Old 10-24-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I sort of agree. There aren't that many threads on the subject, but I've always found it odd that they were in the sports forum and not somewhere else like the TV forum.
Old 10-24-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How about you just ignore the posts if they bother you that much? No one is forcing you to read them, and there's what... maybe 2 posts a week for wrestling and one every few weeks for fighting?

If you want to start talking about what is and isn't a sport, then you're going to open a can of worms that will result in a subforum for every possible sport / activity. Boxing isn't a sport because it's more rigged than pro wrestling. Gymnastics isn't a sport because Romanians are good at it. Etc, etc, etc.
Old 10-24-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn. This made me flash back to the ol' John Stossel incident.
Old 10-24-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't see enough interest for a subforum.
Old 10-24-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The threads are fine where they are.
Old 10-24-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
How about you just ignore the posts if they bother you that much? No one is forcing you to read them, and there's what... maybe 2 posts a week for wrestling and one every few weeks for fighting?

If you want to start talking about what is and isn't a sport, then you're going to open a can of worms that will result in a subforum for every possible sport / activity. Boxing isn't a sport because it's more rigged than pro wrestling. Gymnastics isn't a sport because Romanians are good at it. Etc, etc, etc.
Here here. If you can't stand the two threads MAYBE per week about wrestling, then grow up. Skip over what you don't want to read.

As far as the way you qualify wrestling, we are not naive. Wrestling is pre-determined. Not fake, PRE-DETERMINED. Would you say a former Olympic medalist skater that moves on to skate for the Ice Capades or Disney on Ice is not an athelete because they are not competing? Besides all that, the MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA and every single solitary professional athletic association is interested in one thing: making money. The amount of money the WWE makes in merchandise is an infinitessimal drop in the bucket compared to waht the MLB makes off of Yankees merchandise. Every word you said about wrestling applies to all forms of sport.

Give me a fucking break.
Old 10-24-06, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

I vote we move the wrestling posts to the same place as the posts about the conspiracy of the Steelers trying to break Carson Palmer's legs.

Seems pretty fitting.

(I have no problem with them in the Sports forum)
Old 10-24-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What should be banned are things like "the Laker thread." Just image what would happen if every team had an individual thread. Yikes!
Old 10-24-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Although pro wrestling is not a legit contest, it is more athletic than entertainment so it belongs in the sports forum. Since there are only a couple of new threads a week, there is no need for a separation.

As for the second point, suggesting that "fighting" not be in the sports forum doesn't even make sense.
Old 10-24-06, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GuessWho
What should be banned are things like "the Laker thread." Just image what would happen if every team had an individual thread. Yikes!
Nothing, since they'd all fall off the map since there's not enough interest (see the attempted Clippers and Pistons thread)
Old 10-25-06, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Professional wrestling is a form of choreographed entertainment whose main focus is maintaining its audience and profiting as a business rather than as a form of athletic competition. While enjoyable to a large segment of the population, wrestling is not a competitive sport in the same sense that the NBA, NFL, or even the PGA are.

You happy now?
Old 10-25-06, 01:50 AM

I don't think the wrestling threads are by any means overbearing in light of the fact that there are so many NFL threads that could be consolidated to two or three.
You can always count on a mainstream sports fan snob to cry fowl when a group of people are minding their own business posting about pro wrestling.
"How dare anyone stoop so low as to take up ANY space by posting about pre-determined events like pro wrestling."
Some like to refer to pro wrestling fans as the lowest common denominator, but I'd suggest that those same people look at fans of mainstream sports with a little more scrutiny.
Old 10-25-06, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
I sort of agree. There aren't that many threads on the subject, but I've always found it odd that they were in the sports forum and not somewhere else like the TV forum.
Problem is that not all wrestling is televised. I would love there to be enough intrest to start a wrestling sub-forum but there isn't.
Old 10-25-06, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If Golf, Darts, Pool and Bowling and other sports you can play while drinking beer and having a pizza are "sports" then wrestling sure is. Leave the wrestling where it is.
Old 10-25-06, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There is rarely more than one wrestling thread. I can't imagine it being that difficult to skip over.
Old 10-25-06, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

13 wrestling/fighting threads (I think -- some of the titles are pretty cryptic to me) in the last month, including one boxing thread just for the hell of it. Not nearly enough to justify a sub-forum.
Old 10-25-06, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lastofthewild1s
You can always count on a mainstream sports fan snob to cry fowl when a group of people are minding their own business posting about pro wrestling.
"How dare anyone stoop so low as to take up ANY space by posting about pre-determined events like pro wrestling."
I disagree with the OP's suggestion (and I also don't watch wrestling) but this is a straw man argument. Ken said nothing of the sort.
Old 10-25-06, 09:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by turborobb
If Golf, Darts, Pool and Bowling and other sports you can play while drinking beer and having a pizza are "sports" then wrestling sure is. Leave the wrestling where it is.

You can also "wrestle" while drinking beer and having a pizza since the outcome is predetermined. Why not have a pizza while fighting since you know you're gonna win anyway? Oh yeah, wrestlers have to fool 12 years old kids ino thinking it's real.
Old 10-25-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the idea. As a sub-forum it will still be part of "sports". And for those who are getting pissed off, saying if you don't like them don't click, this is just a forum organization suggestion, nobody is attacking wrestling. I realize that you may prefer it here, but what's so wrong or terrible if it was in a sub-forum, nicely organized so all of it was in one place for you to read? Sports used to be a sub-forum of Other, it's not the end of the world or some slight against your interests to be a sub-forum.

I suspect that if it was all in one sub-forum, wrestling discussion would be more lively since threads would not fall off the front page as quickly.
Old 10-25-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jdodd
13 wrestling/fighting threads (I think -- some of the titles are pretty cryptic to me) in the last month, including one boxing thread just for the hell of it. Not nearly enough to justify a sub-forum.
I counted 7 on the first page. That seems like enough traffic to me.