Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

MLB and the Players Union are close to signing a new CBA

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-20-06, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Negotiators for Major League Baseball and the players union, who have been meeting daily, are closing in on an agreement on a new labor contract and hope to have it finished by this weekend, a person with knowledge of the talks said yesterday.

The negotiators, who began meeting early in the season, have declined throughout to comment on their efforts, and did so again yesterday.

They have wanted to keep their bargaining away from public scrutiny and have largely succeeded.

“We have been talking and we continue to talk,” Donald Fehr, the union chief, said, declining further comment.

Rob Manfred, the owners’ chief labor executive, did not return a telephone message seeking comment.

The talks have become so intensive in recent days that meetings have gone into evening hours and some sessions even took place last weekend, said the person with knowledge of the talks, who was not authorized to speak about them.

Revenue sharing and a payroll tax, baseball’s two major economic issues, have been the most important matters discussed in negotiations, but no radical changes are expected.

Negotiators are expected to eliminate draft-choice compensation for lost free agents, a step they came close to taking four years ago.

Commissioner Bud Selig has a rule against major announcements being made during the World Series, but if the two sides reach an agreement in the next 10 days, he would happily announce it himself.

The current agreement, achieved right before Labor Day in 2002, is scheduled to expire Dec. 19.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/20/sp...=1&oref=slogin

I didnt even realize that it was expiring. Im not sure what to make of the negotiations being so quiet and civil. It probably means that there are no major changes.
Old 10-20-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hopefully they looked at what happened to the NHL and finally came to their senses. I used to live and die with the Flyers, I honestly wouldn't have known their season started if I didn't catch highlights on Sportscenter, wedged in between stuff I actually cared about. Good for them, I'm very happy to hear this.
Old 10-20-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Negotiators are expected to eliminate draft-choice compensation for lost free agents, a step they came close to taking four years ago.
I don't like that idea at all. Draft choice compensation is one of the few things that the small market teams have over the big market teams.
Old 10-20-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by WildcatLH
I don't like that idea at all. Draft choice compensation is one of the few things that the small market teams have over the big market teams.

But, the trade off here is that they will now be allowed to trade draft picks, like all other leagues allow. I think it's a fair trade off.