Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

When was the first time you seen pro wrestling live and in person?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-16-06, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Late Feb. 1973-Cobo Arena(nearly sold out) ,Detroit-main event Dory Funk Jr(NWA World Champ) vs The Original Sheik(NWA US Champ).
Old 10-16-06, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't rememeber; I remember catching a RAW show sometime in the late 90's when i was in High School.
Old 10-17-06, 01:46 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Sometime in the mid to late 80s'

The main event was Hulk Hogan vs. Hercules

I think Randy Savage vs Ricky Steamboat was on the card as well, plus a 6 man tag with The Junkyard Dog, George "The Animal" Steele, and Bob Backlund against someone.
Old 10-17-06, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Early 90's. Don't remember the matches. Second show was Tuesday Night in Texas. Undertaker got the belt from Hogan, Macho Man returned from his "retirement" to fight Jake the Snake.
Old 10-17-06, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wrestlemania VI
Old 10-17-06, 06:40 AM
~M~

Back in the 80's, my brother and I saw Kerry Von Erich vs Terry Gordy (Freebirds) at Williams Middle School in Plano, Texas.

It was 105 in that place and it was during the heyday of the whole Von Erich family.

It was then that I realized that my brother and I hit harder than they do but it was still a blast.

Man, that was so long ago. I forgot about it until this thread.
Old 10-17-06, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm thinking it was September of 97. I went to a WWF Raw show in Cincy. I was able to see Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Undertaker, and Stone Cold live and in person, so I was pleased. I remember after Raw went off the air, most of the crowd was cleared out, and then here comes Bret and Undertaker for an extra match. It was very cool being front row for that.

I doubt I will be going to a WWE event again, but I do want to make it to an Ring of Honor show sometime soon when they come through Dayton.
Old 10-17-06, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One and only time was Summer Slam 1991.
Old 10-17-06, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to a couple here, but I wasn't really that impressed. Seeing it live under the crappy lights without production values is a bit of a shock if you don't know what to expect.

I did meet up with a bunch of wrestlers downtown afterwards (even though I was underage). I remember Henry Godwinn dragging off a couple of hot blondes, and Dustin Runnels taking off with some chick as well. Undertaker was there, and just massive. Talked to Farooq at the bar (he was Farooq at the time), and got a picture of two of us doing the NOD salute or something. Couldn't get over how big Kama was as well. Coolest guy I met was probably Barry Windham, who was doing the cowboy tag team thing with Bradshaw at the time. There were others, but I really can't remember them.
Old 10-17-06, 08:35 AM

In December 1988 at the Meadowlands (Continental Airlines Arena) in NJ.
Main event was The Ultimate Warrior vs. Honkey Tonk Man. I've probably been to about 50-60 since then.

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 10-17-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Survivor Series, I think it was 99 or 2000 - the one in Detroit where that week they realized Stone Cold needed neck surgery and wouldn't be able to wrestle. But they left him in on all the ads to keep PPV sales strong and at the last second made up the storyline where he got mysteriously knocked down the flight of stairs at Joe Louis Arena. Big Show ended up winning the title as his replacement (Boooooo!)
Old 10-17-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daryl
Survivor Series, I think it was 99 or 2000 - the one in Detroit where that week they realized Stone Cold needed neck surgery and wouldn't be able to wrestle. But they left him in on all the ads to keep PPV sales strong and at the last second made up the storyline where he got mysteriously knocked down the flight of stairs at Joe Louis Arena. Big Show ended up winning the title as his replacement (Boooooo!)
You mean to say wrestling isn't on the up-and-up?

Old 10-17-06, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Summer of 83 at a nearby high school. Bob Backlund, Tony Colon, Swede Hanson, The Samoans, The Masked Invaders, Mr. Fuji, Rocky Johnson, Rene Goulet, George Steele, maybe a couple of others. Lot of fun. Backlund was super nice to everyone, posing for pictures, and playfully putting the chicken wing on people. Fuji was great too. I remember George Steele ran to his car so no one would talk to him, and he reeked of cologne. During the Samoans vs Invaders match, I yelled for Afa to pull their masks off. He smiled at me, nodded, and went right for the mask. That made me deliriously happy.

We used to go to MSG quite a bit and go to the bars where the wrestlers hung out after the show. Watching Andre the Giant put away pitcher after pitcher after pitcher of beer was quite a sight.
Old 10-17-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

88 or 89 Great American Bash in Baltimore. The first one that was on PPV. I belive it was Luger v Flair for the title. No correction, that was the first good live event I went to. A few years earlier I went to a SME taping in Baltimore.
Old 10-17-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Late 70s. San Antonio had a local promotion and I would go and watch Tully Blanchard, Wahoo McDaniel and a bunch of other fairly big names from that era.
Old 10-17-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1997, it was the show the night Pillman died.
Old 10-17-06, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mid 80's was my first show , it was AWA and the only thing I remember is the midnight rockers, and they got in a fight with some of the crowd and I was like oh my god, then I realized how fake it was when I saw the barbarian stomping on someones head but not touching it. Since then I have kids that like to go to WWE stuff bout once a year, always end up hanging out with em at the strip club later that my buddy owns, almost got in a fight with a guy from ICP, yeah I would have go my ass kicked
Old 10-17-06, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Late February or early March of 85, as Randy Savage had just won the IC belt from Tito Santana and was defending it against him in the main event.
Old 10-17-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This thread title isn't doing anything to counter the stereotype about wrestling fans.
Old 10-17-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Late February or early March of 85, as Randy Savage had just won the IC belt from Tito Santana and was defending it against him in the main event.
Same here, different state.
Old 10-17-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

November '91 - it was one of those 3-4 hour tapings they did for their old syndicated shows (Superstars/Wrestling Challenge). I think the (non-televised) main event was Flair/Hogan for the title.
Old 10-17-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
This thread title isn't doing anything to counter the stereotype about wrestling fans.
So despite the fact that you've been around here long enough to get to a title of "DVD Talk Limited Edition," you still haven't learned the rules about threadcrapping?
Old 10-17-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Some WCW house show at the Forum around the beginning 98. It's pretty boring going to a show if you're not sitting ringside. I'd rather watch it on tv.
Old 10-17-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
So despite the fact that you've been around here long enough to get to a title of "DVD Talk Limited Edition," you still haven't learned the rules about threadcrapping?
And you haven't been around here long enough to have a sense of humor. Too bad.
Old 10-17-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cdollaz
And you haven't been around here long enough to have a sense of humor. Too bad.
Just because it's a "joke" doesn't make it any less of a threadcrap.

First show was in 1989. The main event was Hogan-Savage. The undercard included Koko B. Ware vs. The Genius... now that's a high-powered matchup.

First big show was Royal Rumble 1991.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.