Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Class Acts at the Orange Bowl! (Miami vs. FIU)

Old 10-14-06, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Class Acts at the Orange Bowl! (Miami vs. FIU)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2625961

MIAMI -- A sideline-clearing brawl interrupted the third quarter of the Florida International-Miami game Saturday night, prompting the ejection of 13 players in the first meeting between the South Florida rivals.

Miami/FIU
Wilfredo Lee/AP Photo
13 players were ejected when both benches cleared during the third quarter of Saturday night's Miami-FIU game.

FIU had eight players ejected, Miami had five. It was the first on-field fight in FIU's five-year football history, school officials said.

Florida International's ejected players were wide receiver Chandler Williams, defensive backs Lionell Singleton, Chris Smith and Marshall McDuffie Jr., fullback John Ellis, linebacker Mannie Wellington, tight end Samuel Smith and defensive end Jarvis Penerton.

The ejected Miami players were offensive linemen Derrick Morse and Chris Barney, running back Charlie Jones, and cornerbacks Carlos Armour and Bruce Johnson.

All 13 players are expected to be suspended for one game.

The fight started shortly after Jon Peattie's extra point with 9:00 left in the third quarter gave Miami a 14-0 lead. Both sidelines quickly emptied, with several fights breaking out during the melee before order was restored.

The brawl lasted about five minutes, and it took officials several more minutes to sort out the penalties. Players from both sides appeared to be swinging helmets, and one injured FIU player came onto the field swinging a crutch at Miami players.

More than two dozen uniformed police officers came onto the field, trying to end the fights.

Several minutes after order was restored on the field, one fight broke out among fans in the northwest corner of the end zone, with more than 12 police officers running into the stands to break up that melee. More officers, including some wearing helmets, continued to surround the perimeter of the field.

Tensions ran high throughout the evening, with several instances of players exchanging heated words at the end of plays.

But emotions quickly boiled over after Miami's second touchdown.

James Bryant caught a 5-yard touchdown pass from Kyle Wright, then drew a 15-yard flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. After that catch, he appeared to point at the FIU bench, then took a theatrical bow.

Moments later, Peattie kicked the extra point and the brawl started.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
I hope the kids swinging helmets and stomping on players get suspended for the rest of the season. There was some crazy stuff that went on, and it was really barbaric. The "U" in the middle of it....sadly they can't seem to get away from crap like this.

-p
Old 10-15-06, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll bet the Hurricane suspended for stomping on a FIU player has a poster of Albert Haynesworth up on his bedroom wall.
Old 10-15-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Who is UM playing next week...might be a good hedge bet.

-p
Old 10-15-06, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue
Who is UM playing next week...might be a good hedge bet.

-p

Duke
Old 10-16-06, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The spread is 20.5. Duke sucks...not sure that is a good idea....guess I should check who the suspended players are first.

-p
Old 10-16-06, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember last year when Miami got in a fight with LSU after the bowl game. Think two canes were actually knocked out. kind of surprised that didn't make much news then. guess both teams just wanted to move on and leave it behind.

but yeah, the um-fiu fight looked pretty bad.
Old 10-16-06, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
I'll bet the Hurricane suspended for stomping on a FIU player has a poster of Albert Haynesworth up on his bedroom wall.
Or Marcus Vick.
Old 10-16-06, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Who was that piece of trash announcer? Has he been fired yet?
Old 10-16-06, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard that this morning on Mike and Mike....god that was despicable. And Meriweather shouldn't play another game this year among many others. Wasn't he supposedly the best safety in college fb this year? what a friggin disgrace.
Old 10-16-06, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brizz
I heard that this morning on Mike and Mike....god that was despicable. And Meriweather shouldn't play another game this year among many others. Wasn't he supposedly the best safety in college fb this year? what a friggin disgrace.
I heard it too on the Mike & Mike in the Morning ESPN2 broadcast--why I didn't damage the TV in the kitchen is beyond me....
Old 10-16-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Lamar Thomas, former Hurricane.
Old 10-16-06, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You mean the "Yeah that's what I'm talking about! You come into our house, you deserve to get your behind kicked! Meet us in the tunnel after the game and let's get it on again!" guy? Now that's professional sportscasting right there.
Old 10-16-06, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by brizz
Did you also hear Theisman refer to Miami as "the M"?
Old 10-16-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any video of this. I haven't seen it yet.
Old 10-16-06, 12:14 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by cdollaz
www.epsn.com

There's a link to video on the front page next to the headline about the suspensions.
Old 10-16-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cdollaz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JWeE9KqZjQ
Old 10-16-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love how his vocabulary went ghetto as soon as the fight started.
Old 10-16-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Lamar Thomas, former Hurricane.
The same Lamar Thomas who was arrested for beating his girlfriend while at the "U", I might add.

Being in Miami, the reaction from some Miami fans would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Reaction seems to be split between the people who said it was a terrible stain on UM and that the players should be severely disciplined... and the people who are loving it and spouting off about how "The 'U' is back" and talking about how the attitude of the late 80s and early 90s is back, and they want to see more of it.
Old 10-16-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
You mean the "Yeah that's what I'm talking about! You come into our house, you deserve to get your behind kicked! Meet us in the tunnel after the game and let's get it on again!" guy? Now that's professional sportscasting right there.
You forgot the "man, i'm ready to jump up outta hear and join em!"

his partner nervously laughed and you could tell he was just trying to ignore him...poor guy.

You don't disrespect the OB!!

OB = Orange Bowl I guess....perhaps that's a way around ever having to spell anything.
Old 10-16-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like he'll be "disciplined", whatever that means.

Lamar Thomas to be disciplined for on-air brawl comments
BY BARRY JACKSON
[email protected]

Comcast Sports Southeast general manager Mark Fuhrman said Monday the network is planning disciplinary action against announcer Lamar Thomas for comments he made about the brawl during Saturday's UM-FIU game.

''At this point we're consulting with the university and discussing whether to fire him'' or dole out other punishment, Fuhrman said.

Thomas' comments, which were aired live on the pay-per-view broadcast, drew about 50 e-mailed complaints to CSS, Fuhrman said.

As the brawl was unfolding during the telecast, Thomas said, among other things: 'You come into our house -- you should get your behind kicked. . . . You cross the city! . . I say, `Why don't they just meet outside in the tunnel after the ball game and get it on some more?' ''

Fuhrman said Thomas' comments would be edited out of CSS' rebroadcast of the game at noon and 7 p.m. Wednesday.

''We don't condone Lamar's statements,'' he said. ``He unfortunately got caught in the emotion of it. He blurred the line between what takes place as a participant and your role as a broadcaster.''

Thomas is in his second season working for CSS.
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/15773417.htm
Old 10-16-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He should be fired. IMO it's not that hard of a decision CBS...
Old 10-16-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was Lamar Jackson hired to be an impartial announcer for the game?
Old 10-16-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kneijst1
He should be fired. IMO it's not that hard of a decision CBS...
CSS not CBS.
Old 10-16-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FIU and Miami's new Logo

THGS
Old 10-16-06, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
"Yeah that's what I'm talking about! You come into our house, you deserve to get your behind kicked! Meet us in the tunnel after the game and let's get it on again!"
and yet...
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2628184
"Unfortunately for me during the fight I got a little hyped up. In no way do I condone fighting."

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.